What did you think of the movie?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. What did you think of the movie?

• Out of this world 10 out of 10
    • Really, Really Good
    • It was an ok movie
    • I really did't like it that much
    • I absolutely hated it

Love the book, looking forward to the movie. Though, I do think Matt Damon wasn't the greatest to cast as Watney. I would think someone like Robert Downey Jr. could nail Watney's unique brand of humor alot better than Damon.

When I read the book I had him pictured kinda like Kurt Russel in "Big Trouble in Little China" as Jack Burton, (only six tons smarter than Burton of course) however I've got to admit that Downy would have been a great choice, The style of humor he portrayed as Tony Stark/Iron Man is right up Watney's isle.

Love the book, looking forward to the movie. Though, I do think Matt Damon wasn't the greatest to cast as Watney. I would think someone like Robert Downey Jr. could nail Watney's unique brand of humor alot better than Damon.

There is a certain meta humour in there if they use Robert and include the scene in the book where Watney was suggesting he could puncture the palms of his suit to fly himself to rescue, remarking it would be like "Iron man"

I pictured him younger, more of a post-doc age, making his love of disco even more odd.

I am pretty sure Watney hates disco. It was the only kind of music he has on hand and he has to listen to it all the time if he want any music at all.

I pictured him younger, more of a post-doc age, making his love of disco even more odd.

I distinctly remember his reaction to finding disco music in the commander's personals as being something along the lines of "Damn it Lewis!"... he didn't sound too pleased ;)

I think Matt Damon is a fine choice for the role. You really don't want somebody who would be typecast or it'll distract the audience.

I also think the portrayal of NASA staff looks good. It isn't the same environment as it was back in the '60s.

Best,

-Slashy

Not saying I'm not going to enjoy it! (sorry if it came off that way) I'm super excited for it, and it looks really good from what I've seen so far. I'm just interested in seeing what it's going to be like and what I can predict is going to happen.

I think that its a trailer and we need to see what happens. I edit video and mix sound for a living and I can tell you right off the bat you can hear many abrupt sound cutouts and splices to tell a story in a trailer that is compelling for the audience. There is an abrupt cut at 1:53 that seems to be causing everyone to go crazy. They mixed Jessica Chastain and Kate Maras lines together to make it sound like one person was saying it. Then they combined it with a message popping up on a screen and then showed mara and chastain looking at a screen. We don't know what screen they are looking at and we don't know what screen the message popped up on. Its all cut together to make it look like they are receiving a message from Watney. I know in my bones that they are going to stick to the original plot and not tell the crew. Because then why even have Rich Purnell? Why have someone like Sean Bean play a character like Mitch if you aren't gonna setup for some emotional moments that need to be delivered by an amazing actor. Those characters are vital to that plot. I know this thread is for discussion that is why I made it. Please carry on and you absolutely don't have to agree with me or each other. But remember its just a trailer to wet your palate and to make people who haven't read the book want to see the movie.

Amazing read! Pretty much polished it off in four sittings which, for me, is a miracle (I'm a slow reader when it comes to fiction).

Regarding the film version... I have some hope that it will make the transition successfully. I felt the novel was almost written in a screenplay style. As I was reading it, I could easily imagine how any future film could rearrange sections to make a coherent film.

As long as they don't fall into the trap of making Venk the bureaucratic bad guy (akin to the flight surgeon in Apollo 13), I'm sure Ridley Scott will navigate this production like a Martinez landing.

Oh, and Matt Damon is a great choice for the role.

Amazing read! Pretty much polished it off in four sittings which, for me, is a miracle (I'm a slow reader when it comes to fiction).

Regarding the film version... I have some hope that it will make the transition successfully. I felt the novel was almost written in a screenplay style. As I was reading it, I could easily imagine how any future film could rearrange sections to make a coherent film.

As long as they don't fall into the trap of making Venk the bureaucratic bad guy (akin to the flight surgeon in Apollo 13), I'm sure Ridley Scott will navigate this production like a Martinez landing.

Oh, and Matt Damon is a great choice for the role.

The fact is he is the one responsible for half the stuff that happened though.

I am in email contact with Andy Weir, I asked him a few questions about his book and here's what he said.

The crew transport to and from Hermes is done while Hermes is in Low

Earth Orbit. So it's done in under a day. I imagine something like an

Orion mission or maybe even commercial LEO delivery through something

like SpaceX.

The rovers aren't based on any existing real-world design. Though

they're very similar to the current NASA prototype. However, the ones in

the book are larger. They don't have a built-in toilet. Instead the

astronauts are expected to use waste bags.

I didn't define what the boosters were nor their total delta-v. Though

the ULA booster that carried the (failed) Iris probe was originally the

booster intended for a Saturn probe. So whatever delta-V is needed for a

Saturn transfer and orbital insertion. As for the Chinese booster, it

was designed to put a very heavy payload into solar orbit between

Mercury and Venus. That means the orbital velocity would be very high,

and with a very heavy payload that means lots of power.

• 2 weeks later...
I distinctly remember his reaction to finding disco music in the commander's personals as being something along the lines of "Damn it Lewis!"... he didn't sound too pleased ;)

I was always surprised that he listened to disco the entire time? Where was his memory stick? I bet he was regretting not taking some music after the drive to Schiaparelli!

You have Adam Savage from the Mythbusters to the left of Chris Hadfield with Andy Weir to the left of him. Those are the only two I recognize.

Alton Brown from good eats and other cooking shows on the far right and Phil Plait the astrophysicist on the far left.

Ah, thank you, I had my suspicions about Mythbusters! :)

So from left to right we have:

Phil Plait - an astrophysicist

Andy Weir - author of The Martian

Adam Savage - from Mythbusters

Chris Hadfield - a Canadian astronaut

Alton Brown - a TV cook

Are we playing Which one does not belong? :D

No!! That's an amazing slice of life! Imagine the conversations!!??

Since I do not have US TV over here ... your cooking shows must have a completely different level?! :D

Not all of them, just his. If you ever have a chance to watch reruns of Good Eats you will realize that Alton Brown has forgotten more about chemistry, food history, and food science than most people will ever know.

Not all of them, just his. If you ever have a chance to watch reruns of Good Eats you will realize that Alton Brown has forgotten more about chemistry, food history, and food science than most people will ever know.

Yes Alton Brown isn't like a regular cooking show host.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.