[WIP] CxAerospace: Stations Parts Pack v1.0 - Head Over to Add-On Release

cxg2827

I like these parts. They fit in stylistically with some of the other station parts packs while filling gaps. Having a few more compact station parts helps with adding some variety to the appearance of the station.

svZZ7o.jpg

They fit in stylistically with some of the other station parts packs while filling gaps. Having a few more compact station parts helps with adding some variety to the appearance of the station.

Thanks.

After I first started working on the texturing, I liked how Near Future parts are done so I tried to go in a similar direction.

I also originally thought about having a fixed size for all the various "small-sized" modules I'm making, and using the same texture with just some varying greebles on the exterior. But after some thought I figured it might make them look too generic and one-size-fits-all. Different sizes and appearances definitely help give some variety, and make stations look more unique.

For the aeroponics and compact med bay module, I'm even thinking about making them a non-standard diameter, like 3m instead of 2.5 (or whatever 0.1m increment still fits inside the stock cargo bay). But, if there is opposition to it, I''ll stick with 2.5m diameters for those.

New download. Node 1 IVA updated.

In other news I have been reworking the mesh and UVs for the NapHab IVA, and have managed to fit all UVs on a 2048x2048 texture. So a big memory savings from the original 4096x4096. After that is re-textured I plan on doing the same to the hatch prop texture since that is the last remaining 4096x4096 texture. Then its on to the GymHab IVA and some more props.

Changes:

v0.05.1
-Node 1 IVA updated.

• 2 weeks later...

Really cool mod.

I have a suggestion for parts.

It struck me in stock, that it would be cool to have a command pod, and habitat that were exactly the same size and mass as the MPLab part (3.5 tons). It would allow for a radially docked, large spacecraft for outer system exploration that feels like it includes what it should include. Alternately, a command pod and science lab that are the same dimensions and mass as a habitat, since you already have a habitat.

Alternately, assuming the same diameter, the ability to stack certain parts to make a meta part that is the same size/mas as the biggest/most massive. Some way to easily make a balanced craft that doesn't have to always have symmetric modules opposing each other radially.

Really cool mod.

I have a suggestion for parts.

It struck me in stock, that it would be cool to have a command pod, and habitat that were exactly the same size and mass as the MPLab part (3.5 tons). It would allow for a radially docked, large spacecraft for outer system exploration that feels like it includes what it should include. Alternately, a command pod and science lab that are the same dimensions and mass as a habitat, since you already have a habitat.

Alternately, assuming the same diameter, the ability to stack certain parts to make a meta part that is the same size/mas as the biggest/most massive. Some way to easily make a balanced craft that doesn't have to always have symmetric modules opposing each other radially.

Thanks.

I've been toying with some ideas for parts that would be used like you are suggesting and also work well with persistent rotation for artificial gravity (hence why the naphab has the ladder). But I'm thinking of having those separate from this pack since this one is geared more for stations and not interplanetary vessels. I could probably make the larger sleeping module match the size and weight of the MPLab though.

Regarding the stacking of parts, that would take a bit of thought, but I'll look into it.

After I finish up with these parts, my next planned parts pack will be geared for centrifuges (various size and tech levels) and interplanetary vessel parts, which would also include a large 2.5M command pod.

I love these parts so much! I'm working on a detailed ISS replica by using part-welding to reduce my part count and allow for high detail greebles everywhere on the station (i put about 2 hours of contruction into my zarya module alone!). I'm up to the phase of STS-100 right now and just added the destiny laboratory. However I did notice that the module you had to replicate that lab felt a little... short. If you count panels on the exterior yours was 6 while the real lab is 7 long. So I was wondering if in the future either another module could be created of the appropriate length to replicate that lab or if the original could be edited :D

Long story short, great parts and amazing work! I can't wait for future updates and progress on this pack and everything to come with it!

Edit: after playing around with the cfg files and scales I found that a custom part I made from the Gym Hab with a scale in the Y axis of 1.5 fit perfectly as a role for the Destiny Lab, the only thing being now the windows are ovals lol

Edited by Sippyfrog

Edit: after playing around with the cfg files and scales I found that a custom part I made from the Gym Hab with a scale in the Y axis of 1.5 fit perfectly as a role for the Destiny Lab, the only thing being now the windows are ovals lol

I did some planning a while back to make it easy to modify these parts for longer version or variants. It would be very easy for me to make it 7 panel segments long, and remove the windows if you'd like. Though I might just post up a dropbox link for that, unless others would want the gymhab to be permanently extended another 0.35m.

Dont want to be breaking people's station, though it is a WIP. I just started the texturing for the GymHab IVA and mesh tweaks last night, so this would be the perfect time if others want the module to be increased in size a tad.

I did some planning a while back to make it easy to modify these parts for longer version or variants. It would be very easy for me to make it 7 panel segments long, and remove the windows if you'd like. Though I might just post up a dropbox link for that, unless others would want the gymhab to be permanently extended another 0.35m.

Dont want to be breaking people's station, though it is a WIP. I just started the texturing for the GymHab IVA and mesh tweaks last night, so this would be the perfect time if others want the module to be increased in size a tad.

I love that idea but obviously i'm only one opinion! Regardless I can't wait for more parts in this pack as my ISS replica is quickly growing :D

Here is my last project i've been working on since I got these parts

I'm trying to make the ISS with as much small greeble and detail as I can using part welding to minimize performance impact. This station sits at 87 parts right now (including the soyuz and progress docked to it).

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Without part welding I believe this station would sit at ~600 parts XD

I LOVE this mod and can't wait for more module to expand the US section!

Awesome station and truss segments!

I'm a bit busy with work and home the next few days, but I'm still planning on modifying that one part for you. Otherwise if you know how to create KSP parts, I could send you over the PSD and blend file so you can modify it as you please for your ISS. That way if you want to go all out you can re-texture and add the EVA handles to the same spots to match Destiny.

The Med bay modules I was thinking of giving them a similar appearance as the Kibo pressurized modules (compact med bay will be similar to the ELM-PS, larger med bay will be similar to the PM).

Aeroponics module I might try to do another unique exterior like i did with the naphab, though I'm also considering making that a non-standard size like 2.75 or 3M (depending what still fits in the stock cargo bays).

Awesome station and truss segments!

I'm a bit busy with work and home the next few days, but I'm still planning on modifying that one part for you. Otherwise if you know how to create KSP parts, I could send you over the PSD and blend file so you can modify it as you please for your ISS. That way if you want to go all out you can re-texture and add the EVA handles to the same spots to match Destiny.

The Med bay modules I was thinking of giving them a similar appearance as the Kibo pressurized modules (compact med bay will be similar to the ELM-PS, larger med bay will be similar to the PM).

Aeroponics module I might try to do another unique exterior like i did with the naphab, though I'm also considering making that a non-standard size like 2.75 or 3M (depending what still fits in the stock cargo bays).

Sounds sweet! I unfortunately don't know how to edit KSP parts anything beyond configuration editing and texture editing (crudely, I just know photoshop) but I'll be able to make due with what's available!

What parts pack are those trusses from? I want 'em!

They're custom made from about 200 other parts using part welding, sooooo they're not really shareable ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I can share the raw part file configs but know you'll have to go through and find and download whatever mods I used for them (which I personally don't even know what all wen't into them!)

If you wanna make you're own and learn how to part weld I can teach you/anyone how to! It's quite easy as long as you know how part cfg's are set up :)

They're custom made from about 200 other parts using part welding, sooooo they're not really shareable ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I can share the raw part file configs but know you'll have to go through and find and download whatever mods I used for them (which I personally don't even know what all wen't into them!)

If you wanna make you're own and learn how to part weld I can teach you/anyone how to! It's quite easy as long as you know how part cfg's are set up :)

The welded parts are shareable: the welded parts are saved in the UbioWeldingLtd Parts folder, share those cfg files in it and others can build their own ISS.

Unless he welded them manually, in which case those instructions are not really accurate.

I do actually use the welding mod but I don't just roll with the configs that it generates as I tweak those after it makes one for me!

The welded parts are shareable: the welded parts are saved in the UbioWeldingLtd Parts folder, share those cfg files in it and others can build their own ISS.

Yeah I actually take those configs and re-write a neater config in a new document and fine tune all of he parameters like the name, mass, nodes (usually there will be like 80 and I only need 2), and models as sometimes I use parts to help me build specific things and then go remove them later (like scaffolding almost).

The problem is that I believe parts like the ISS trusses, well, they're made from random parts I liked in my current game, and I have quite a few mods, so I could find exactly what mods are needed per part, but I can see why some people wouldn't wanna use them...

In a sec i'll show you what I mean

EDIT:

So here is what my mods folder looks like

SHDwPMf.png

As you can see I have several mods but if someone were to have the same list as me, yes, I could absolutely share the configs with them and they would work!

Edited by Sippyfrog

Here is an update to my ISS build! I wanted to specifically show off the Pirs/Poisk modules made possible from tantares and the Columbus Lab/Harmony Node made from this mod! Current part count is at 120 parts.

Check the album for descriptions and details!

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Big photos ;)

rGo5eG3.png

ZkLorfL.png

iFQ7jHI.png

C1hiXh5.png

Bmwjn0f.png

ecVw9W4.png

WK2LZRl.png

eMOfaDl.png

xfMNb5H.png

1I2Foq7.png

Thank you tantares!!!!

EDIT: I just realized the station has a typo in its name :sticktongue:

station is looking sweet :).

Since I've already made the PMA (still need to do a texture pass on it) and Node1, I'm considering continuing on with making the other non-russian ISS modules as well if there is any interest. I might not do IVAs for them, or I might do my own twist on some of them otherwise. Like how the Gym module has a similar look to Destiny, and how I'm planning the medbay modules to look like the Kibo pressurized modules.

let me hear your opinions. IVAs are a timesink, so if there is interest in just having parts without IVAs for now, I can pump those out much quicker.

Some updates on the current parts. Based on the polls Options 1 and 3 are tied. The good thing about these 2 variants is that the IVAs I have in mind aren't too different from each other, so I might go ahead and do both of them.

For the gym hab, I think I will be extending it 1 panel section in addition to modifying the exterior to have a docking port attachment on both ends. I realized that I can squeeze the IVA to a 2048x2048 texture if I take up the rear space of the gym with another hatch prop.

Slippyfrog, I sent you a PM Regarding the partweld and where you got the ISS solar panels from.

cxg, I just had a play around with your parts and they're really nice. I'm definetely going to use them in my next station design. Also, thanks for making a good looking PMA!