[WIP] CxAerospace: Stations Parts Pack v1.0 - Head Over to Add-On Release

cxg2827

On the home stretch for the large Med Bay. Looking to get it released mid next week. Just need to place a few more handrails, model the exposed Facility Berthing Mechanism and then texture that with the airlock.

Still need to mess with the coloring a bit to make it a bit darker than the other modules so there is some contrast.

bKIqX25.png?1

I'll do some testing in sandbox, but the colliders could be one of the culprits. Maybe the issue stems from the CBMs rather than the node 1s.

What are your computer specs?

I take a framerate hit with all station parts from this pack, modules or ports. I have a crappy computer to play on (Dell laptop, i7, integrated graphics), but there is a more pronounced performance hit when using this pack's parts compared to those of other packs.

I take a framerate hit with all station parts from this pack, modules or ports. I have a crappy computer to play on (Dell laptop, i7, integrated graphics), but there is a more pronounced performance hit when using this pack's parts compared to those of other packs.

Got a picture or part count of the craft causing the issue? Have you tried it with a fresh install?

When I go through updating the colliders, I'm planning on using primitive unity box colliders for the cbms. I figure no one surface attaches to those so shouldn't be an issue. Otherwise will replace with an octagon mesh if there is a lot of pushback from people.

Got a picture or part count of the craft causing the issue? Have you tried it with a fresh install?

When I go through updating the colliders, I'm planning on using primitive unity box colliders for the cbms. I figure no one surface attaches to those so shouldn't be an issue. Otherwise will replace with an octagon mesh if there is a lot of pushback from people.

Framerate takes a hit the second one of those parts gets added. I have 80+ part stations that get a better framerate than a barebones ~15 part station with parts from this mod. Have tried w/ a fresh install as well, same results. All parts from this mod have this effect.

My own more general experience suggests that the texture sizes may be excessive, and I have also see some crazy-excessive detail in IVAs. In the past, I have stripped the IVA data out of part files, since I don't use IVAs very much at all, though that wasn't for this particular mod.

One particular example I have in mind was an IVA which had bar-coded labels on storage lockers, and when you examined a the texture files you had something that could be read by the barcode-reader app on my smartphone.

Getting Unity 5 in 64-bit may make a big difference. I would still prefer a low-detail IVA as an option.

I made you a CX-aerospace flag based on the C7 design. It's yours if you want it. I fear it might look to similar to the C7 one, I could swap the red for an other colour if you think so to. http://i.imgur.com/CWLbWlR.png

Cool :) . hieywiey also made a flag for my pack as well but I haven't implemented it in the downloads yet. I might modify hieywiey's a bit fto have some C7 influence like the one you made.

Framerate takes a hit the second one of those parts gets added. I have 80+ part stations that get a better framerate than a barebones ~15 part station with parts from this mod. Have tried w/ a fresh install as well, same results. All parts from this mod have this effect.

Ok. I wonder if the IVAs might cause some of the lag due to having the portraits of the kerbals. The release I'm aiming for this week will have colliders simplified for all the parts, so I'm hoping that could fix some of the lag users might have with lower spec computers.

My own more general experience suggests that the texture sizes may be excessive, and I have also see some crazy-excessive detail in IVAs.

I've been setting up the IVAs to share textures. But I still have a bit of optimization to do for the texture maps in the props folder (will do that closer to completion). I've also removed the normal maps from the IVAs since I can get similar shadowing result with texturing, so that helped reduce the size for the pack.

Getting Unity 5 in 64-bit may make a big difference. I would still prefer a low-detail IVA as an option.

I could make a low-detail option in future downloads, but it would just be reduced by 1/2 without modifiying anything else, so it might not look the best.

Ive updated all the parts to have lower poly colliders. Hopefully that will help some people out with framerate issues. I also started on CKAN support, and trying to wrap my head around getting it setup. Cant seem to get the netcan.exe to run so gotta figure out the issue.

Question for everyone:

Should I just make the kibo-inspired modules be science labs rather than medbays? This way they will have an actual use rather than be for role-playing purposes.

Another progress shot.

oBOeqaS.png?1

Ive updated all the parts to have lower poly colliders. Hopefully that will help some people out with framerate issues. I also started on CKAN support, and trying to wrap my head around getting it setup. Cant seem to get the netcan.exe to run so gotta figure out the issue.

Question for everyone:

Should I just make the kibo-inspired modules be science labs rather than medbays? This way they will have an actual use rather than be for role-playing purposes.

Another progress shot.

http://i.imgur.com/oBOeqaS.png?1

I'll vote science lab.

You're using KerbalStuff for release, right? It has a checkbox for CKAN support, so you should be able to check that. At least, that's how I've done it for the mods I've released.

You're using KerbalStuff for release, right? It has a checkbox for CKAN support, so you should be able to check that. At least, that's how I've done it for the mods I've released.

I thought from reading the ckan wiki that I needed to populate the metadata and submit a pull request on the github page.

I'll tick the checkbox and see if that works then.

I thought from reading the ckan wiki that I needed to populate the metadata and submit a pull request on the github page.

I'll tick the checkbox and see if that works then.

I haven't knowingly done anything CKAN specific myself, although I did get a complaint from a CKAN user when I entered a version on KerbalStuff that wasn't prefixed with a 'v' (like 0.23.0 instead of v0.23.0), so I don't think you have to jump through any hoops to get KS to enable CKAN support.

Cgx, have a lot of fun with yor stuff, thanks!

In terms of the Med Bay situation I woud vote to have it be a science lab, unless of course you found a way to integrate it with some existing life support mods where it would serve some function. That being said I do like the idea. However a science lab, perhaps with an integrated Materials experiment and larger data capacity than the MPL would go nicely with something of that size and purpose.

^ Going off of the life support idea, I think it might be interesting if the MedBay could extend life support for a set amount of Kerbals, essentially making it so either all or only a certain set of life support resources last longer.

In terms of the Med Bay situation I would vote to have it be a science lab' date=' unless of course you found a way to integrate it with some existing life support mods where it would serve some function.[/quote']
^ Going off of the life support idea' date=' I think it might be interesting if the MedBay could extend life support for a set amount of Kerbals, essentially making it so either all or only a certain set of life support resources last longer.[/quote']

Since I dont know how to write plugins to integrate with various life support mods, I'll probably just go the science module route.

However a science lab' date=' perhaps with an integrated Materials experiment and larger data capacity than the MPL would go nicely with something of that size and purpose.[/quote']

Good Idea.

Okay here is a suggestion/request/idea for [any lab] or the Med-bay IVA add a ECLSS-like rack in the IVA

I'll add this in the IVA.

Well hello station parts!

Looking good!

Thank you :).

I know that it has already been asked, but I'd like to know if you're going to build some stock-alike trusses (not so detailed, just similar to the s# trusses on the ISS) and radiators/panels. Your mod+tantares=perfect low count ISS

I know that it has already been asked, but I'd like to know if you're going to build some stock-alike trusses (not so detailed, just similar to the s# trusses on the ISS) and radiators/panels. Your mod+tantares=perfect low count ISS

I find the Near Future Structural trusses to be perfect for that sort of thing

I plan to make the ISS trusses down the road. But, after I finish the science modules, and possibly the docking port covers I'm going to take a bit of a break from making more station parts.

I'll be instead starting work on a deep space habitation parts pack that works with persistent rotation for artificial gravity. I have a few ideas for low, to higher tech level parts.

New update is out on Kerbal Stuff. Shouldn't cause any issues with existing crafts, though 2 parts now have a lower mass (might cause some imbalance in certain cases).

Changes:

v0.08
-CKAN enabled
-Collider optimization for all parts.
-SleepHab V6 variants mass decreased from 8 to 7
-MM config added for KeepFit compatibility with Science Lab

-Added Parts:
-2M Science Lab: Crew capacity 3, no IVA yet. Slightly better stats than the stock Mobile Processing lab with integral 1000 capacity battery bank, and more data storage.

your welcome :).

I'll probably be getting the JLP-style module made much quicker since it will reuse a good amount of the textures. Then the long process of IVA planning, modeling and texturing.

Besides the suggested ECLSS rack in the IVA, any more suggestions people would like to see in IVA?