Dres and the whole asteroid thing

lajoswinkler

Do you like procedural natural satellites?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like procedural natural satellites?

• Not really or not at all.
    • I'm gonna go with neutral.
    • I like them.

Am I mistaken to assume there will be randomly spawned rocks around Dres? If I'm not, then I'm not ok with this.

I was given this screenshot.

f3RCFGN.png

Kerbin is in an asteroid belt. Sometimes they enter its SOI and either crash or get their solar orbital parameters changed. But if they spawn in circular orbits around planets, then they've been there "forever". They become satellites, moons. Where did they come from?

I'd be ok with Dres being in a second asteroid belt (way more densely populated than Kerbin's is), but this apparent solution bugs me. I don't like procedural satellites.

I'm just curious why Dres isn't allowed to be near an asteroid belt too? I mean, we have several in our solar system. (Though technically "Asteroid" refers to a specific belt, the others are Trojans, Greeks, and Kuiper)

Edited by Alshain

I'm just curious why Dres isn't allowed to be near an asteroid belt too? I mean, we have several in our solar system.

I'd totally put Dres in the middle of a dense asteroid field. Dres' tiny mass and large curvature of its orbit would make capturing of asteroids easier. Not to mention how often it might get bombarded compared to Kerbin.

But these procedural moons... just no.

I'd totally put Dres in the middle of a dense asteroid field. Dres' tiny mass and large curvature of its orbit would make capturing of asteroids easier. Not to mention how often it might get bombarded compared to Kerbin.

I'm pretty sure the asteroids are supposed to be in a belt near Dres' orbit, like the ones near Kerbin. Maybe they sometimes get captured, but I'm not sure.

There are such a thing as periodic "moons" in real life - the Apollo 11 third stage became one at one point. They orbit a few times then go back to a heliocentric orbit until earth/dres catches up with them again.

They aren't moons, they behave just like the ones that fly by Kerbin, or says Maxmaps in the stream last night. Dres itself is the closest analog to our own Ceres, which is in the middle of the asteroid belt.

I'm torn.

My problem is it's illogical, especially if they continually spawn and despawn. They're in unperturbable orbits!

The nice thing is... hey a reason to go to Dres.

Don't think of it as spawning and de-spawning. Think of it as coming in and out of tracking range. For game performance purposes they are spawning and despawning, but if you imagine they are traveling faster or slower than Dres (i.e. slightly higher/lower orbits), then they continually come in and out of "viewing range".

I think this is to make Dres a more interesting destination. It's more interesting than having a handful of asteroids scattered between Jool and Duna. People would rarely bother visiting those asteroids.

Well its simply an smaller version of Gilly or the two moons Mars have. We also know that the outer planets has lots of junk in orbit.

Add that Dress is in the middle of that would be our asteroid belt.

I see it as an simple way to make the Dress more interesting. Eeloo should have some too.

I'm pretty sure the asteroids are supposed to be in a belt near Dres' orbit, like the ones near Kerbin. Maybe they sometimes get captured, but I'm not sure.

I hope! I'd like that a lot.

There are such a thing as periodic "moons" in real life - the Apollo 11 third stage became one at one point. They orbit a few times then go back to a heliocentric orbit until earth/dres catches up with them again.

True, that's what happens in Kerbin's asteroid belt.

They aren't moons, they behave just like the ones that fly by Kerbin, or says Maxmaps in the stream last night. Dres itself is the closest analog to our own Ceres, which is in the middle of the asteroid belt.

Then why are their orbits circular like on the screenshot?

Again, people, read the OP. I'm not against Dres interacting with asteroids, I'm just not for procedurally generated stuff around Dres. If something orbits Dres, then it is there. Always has been and it might get kicked out, ok. But spawning and despawning at random in established orbits, please no.

Edited by lajoswinkler

I think this is to make Dres a more interesting destination. It's more interesting than having a handful of asteroids scattered between Jool and Duna. People would rarely bother visiting those asteroids.

It makes sense to visit those asteroids, they don't have a gravity well like Dres does, so you can mine them more easily, and then depart to just about anywhere in the system.

Oh god, I don't know. That's why I've said that if this is the case, then I don't like it.

Ok, well... as I said. Maxmaps said yesterday they are exactly the same as the ones around Kerbin, so it is not the case. Problem solved.

Don't think of it as spawning and de-spawning. Think of it as coming in and out of tracking range. For game performance purposes they are spawning and despawning, but if you imagine they are traveling faster or slower than Dres (i.e. slightly higher/lower orbits), then they continually come in and out of "viewing range".

That's fine for stuff orbiting Sun and potentially being perturbed. But orbiting Dres? That'd be like looking at Pluto and going "Oh, Charon's gone. I guess we should have put better tracking on it. But hey there's another moon there now that we didn't see before that's even bigger!"

That's fine for stuff orbiting Sun and potentially being perturbed. But orbiting Dres? That'd be like looking at Pluto and going "Oh, Charon's gone. I guess we should have put better tracking on it. But hey there's another moon there now that we didn't see before that's even bigger!"

You're asking FAR to much here. It's about game-play, and performance, not what's 10000% realistic.

This is exactly what bugged me, but thankfully it seems that's not the case we're getting.