Nay-sayers, unite!

Kerbart

1.0 seems just a number to Squad. I see nothing in this release to make it fundamentally different than any previous. Sure, there may be more features than average, but that makes it bigger rather than different. Since there is no real difference in the process, I expect no more than I did from previous releases. The longstanding bugs will remain (ie the ones we are so used to we don't notice anymore). Some recent bugs will have been squashed, but there will also be new ones. There will be no 'balanced' gameplay, nor will the aero physics deserve to be called aerodynamics. It's just another features update.

From watching the view numbers on Youtube and other social media, I don't think I am alone in this opinion. I don't see a rush of new customers asking about KSP. I see a steady flow of die-hard KSP fans having the same conversations they did last year, and the year before that.

But there is something radically different to previous releases. There are no more placeholder systems.

But there is something radically different to previous releases. There are no more placeholder systems.

That just features. Squad's process for this release has been identical to all the others. The speed, the addition of last minute features, the media review of beta builds, the hype machine ... we have all seen it many times before and should not expect anything really different. I'd like to see squad bring in some people to shake up their process and really focus on polishing KSP into a more finished product. At a minimum, someone should tie up the obvious loose ends and deal with the texture management and quality issues. Then my expectations would be different.

Edited by Sandworm

No more placeholder systems?

What about water and land textures?

Sorry but i can make better about 30min.

Or at least put some seamless textures not that minecraft-ish.

No more placeholder systems?

What about water and land textures?

Sorry but i can make better about 30min.

Or at least put some seamless textures not that minecraft-ish.

It may sound like a fanboy, but I call those cosmetics, not system.

The use of the word "vast" is funny sometimes.

The "vast" amount of players who spend most of their time on game forums and use the forum as their social outlet related to said game will always complain. The vast amount of KSP players aren't on these forums on a regular basis.

There will always be wiseguy-threads and eternal complaining. This thread is just one out of a bunch of examples.

What a negative thread.

These are all valid points, but do we have to be so critical? Bugs happen. SQUAD tried their best. And I think we've already done a perfectly good job getting the message across that we think they went too fast. The time for that has passed; now is the time to be supportive and congratulate them for making it to release.

I have to back this up!

Even if there are bugs in the game, KSP will certainly be the one and only game i dumped the most hours of gametime in.

No offense, but i think people are complaining from a solid silver tower here ;)

What a negative thread.

These are all valid points, but do we have to be so critical? Bugs happen. SQUAD tried their best. And I think we've already done a perfectly good job getting the message across that we think they went too fast. The time for that has passed; now is the time to be supportive and congratulate them for making it to release.

Do you support and congratulate artists for selling their painting before the paint was dry, let alone before doing any finishing touches in the foreground? That's what 1.0 should be, a finished painting. The fact that Squad themselves started a thread asking what features should be postponed to later versions should have been a sign it wasn't ready for 1.0

To me it looks like Squad is trying to put a lid on the 1.0 so that they can start a new project without all the baggage. I could be wrong, though.

A fair suspicion. I also think something along those lines. If in 3 weeks all the devs are still employed and the devnotes say work has started on the next update then we will know.

Do you support and congratulate artists for selling their painting before the paint was dry, let alone before doing any finishing touches in the foreground?

Do you frequently walk around art galleries butting in to every conversation to shout that you don't think the artist finished?

My question to you people complaining: What is your definition of what 1.0 should be? This is a game that has been under constant development for years, and will remain under development after; by your logic, the fact that this game will keep being added on to would mean that '1.0' wouldn't be ready potentially for years. As far as glitches go, in an era where games like Battlefield 4 and Assassin's Creed Unity exist, I hardly agree that glitches somehow prevents this game from being 'finished'. The more complicated a game is, the more buggy it will be, and this is even more true of a game with such a small dev team. Frankly, the fact that the game doesn't have a whole lot more instability and game-breaking bugs is pretty impressive.

This seems like a bunch of complaining from people who want total perfection in their game. You are not going to get that, not from KSP and not from pretty much any other modern game either.

Do you frequently walk around art galleries butting in to every conversation to shout that you don't think the artist finished?

Hey, all Im saying is when Vincent van Gogh painted the sky, he included clouds. The game is lacking polish in a few areas yet, and that's been acknowledged by the devs. yet 1.0 is at the gates.

Im camping here with fellow nay-sayers. Go post hype or something :P

Hey, all Im saying is when Vincent van Gogh painted the sky, he included clouds. The game is lacking polish in a few areas yet, and that's been acknowledged by the devs. yet 1.0 is at the gates.

Im camping here with fellow nay-sayers. Go post hype or something :P

the-starry-night-1889(1).jpg

Vincent van Gogh. Sky. No clouds. ....ty textures too, I would have made better in like an hour.

No clouds?! THATS THE ONE I HAD IN MIND WHEN I SAID THAT! lol its covered in swirling clouds, also some low above the mountains.

The night sky depicted by van Gogh in the Starry Night painting is brimming with whirling clouds, shining stars, and a bright crescent moon. The setting is one that viewers can relate to and van Gogh´s swirling sky directs the viewer´s eye around the painting, with spacing between the stars and the curving contours creating a dot-to-dot effect. These internal elements ensure fluidity and such contours were important for the artist even though they were becoming less significant for other Impressionists. Thus Starry Night´s composition was distinct from the Impressionist technique of the 19th century.

http://www.artble.com/artists/vincent_van_gogh/paintings/starry_night/more_information/analysis

Edited by r4pt0r

No clouds?! THATS THE ONE I HAD IN MIND WHEN I SAID THAT! lol its covered in swirling clouds, also some low above the mountains.

Now you sound like a rabid fanboy. Thats no clouds. Clouds are white and puffy and I really don't see how he could have released it in that state and it is nowhere near the image I imagine as well made. And whats with the colour palette? He ran out of all other colours but blue? An look at those pixels, dude! '90s want their res back!

(see where I'm going with this?)

A fair suspicion. I also think something along those lines. If in 3 weeks all the devs are still employed and the devnotes say work has started on the next update then we will know.

So what you are saying ... sorry, "suspect", is that SQUAD are nothing more than a bunch of liars, and all the explicit statements to the contrary concerning the continuation of KSP development in the most recent Q&A (yesterday) are pure and simple lies. Amirite?

Do you really think to have any reason to say something on this lines about people like maxmaps, harvester, roverdude and all the others?

1.0 is a landmark as a date. Not a development date, a landmark in game production. When the community, devs, media team, testers and players all come together and play what is called the "final product". These bugs don't BREAK the game and as always there are always bugs with software. But that's what 1.01 or 1.10 is for, to fix those.

This doesn't mean 1.0 should be flawless, rather 1.0 should be playable to a good degree. As long as my rockets don't explode or SAS throws me into warp speed every 5 seconds I'm fine with it. Bugs are bugs, but the game must be released.

Give the game to the community, we can spend the next 5 weeks bug hunting and still find more. But the game will be more or less just as playable as it is today. Let the hypetrain loose!

So what you are saying ... sorry, "suspect", is that SQUAD are nothing more than a bunch of liars, and all the explicit statements to the contrary concerning the continuation of KSP development in the most recent Q&A (yesterday) are pure and simple lies. Amirite?

Do you really think to have any reason to say something on this lines about people like maxmaps, harvester, roverdude and all the others?

possibly. Im not the only one who has expressed this. Regex has before implied this, and others as well.

As for buggy releases, one word: Daggerfall. How someone can cram that many bugs into one game is, and will remain a mystery. Still, it hit the shelves and even today it is being played (not bad at all for a game that old that buggy). Ok so DF is at one extreme end of the scale but which major game was ever released totally bug free, which would be the other extreme end of the scale? I can't think of one. I just think it's ludicrous to judge a game (or the developers) by whether or not it's bug free. Instead, what matters is, will they fix the bugs when they surface? So far everything points to yes, they will. We need to get out of our fantasy bubble where "perfect" is real (it isn't, it's ideal), stop complaining about every little, minute, miniscule flaw and we certainly need to stop blowing these flaws way out of proportions. Appreciate that you have KSP at all and not some knitting simulator without knitting needles. To the devs: Your work is greatly appreciated.

Edited by LN400
fixing typo

As for buggy releases, one word: Daggerfall. How someone can cram that many bugs into one game is, and will remain a mystery. Still, it hit the shelves and even today it is being played (not bad at all for a game that old that buggy). Ok so DF is at one extreme end of the scale but which major game was ever released totally bug free, which would be the other extreme end of the scale? I can't think of one. I just think it's ludicrous to judge a game (or the developers) by whether or not it's bug free. Instead, what matters is, will they fix the bugs when they surface? So far everything points to yes, they will. We need to get out of our fantasy bubble where "perfect" is real (it isn't, it's ideal), stop complaining about every little, minute, miniscule flaw and we certainly need to stop blowing these flaws way out of proportions. Appreciate that you have KSP at all and not some knitting simulator without knitting needles. To the devs: Your work is greatly appreciated.

It is also important to note that if we were to wait for Squad to patch every single bug before the official release, it would never come out. Even patching bugs often leads to new ones. The best possible action for them to take is to release the game and then patch any major bugs as soon as possible - in other words, do what every other developer does with their games today.

Firstly, am I happy with the product as it has been portrayed and what will be available in 1.0? The answer is an easy yes. I feel I've already gotten my moneys worth out of the game several times over.

Do I feel that 1.0 is as good as it can be? The answer is no. Not enough places to explore, lack of clouds, lack of unity 5 and 64 bit. Granted mods can fix some of these things that I consider lacking from the game but overall, I get the impression that there is things that they wanted to add to the "final" game but are not going to make the cut when it releases later. The fact that big things are being added later kind of shows that it isn't a finished product.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.