The KSP 1.0 Grand Discussion Thread: Conquering Space Was Never This Easy!

KasperVld

only two thoughts about 1.0:

-I love you Valentina!

-Give back my mouse cursor!

I like the new cursor, though!

God, reentry is now properly frightening. :) Seat-of-my-pants every time I do a suborbital tourism contract and am at 5000 meters and 600 m/s...

My thoughts while playing KSP 1.0:

Yay, BRAKE CHUTES ARE NOW A THING!!

Oooh, fairings! A bit too hard to build, but still pretty good.

Am I watching Air Crash Investigation? (Shake effects)

Ascents are horrifying. A tiny boop on "D" could send the rocket - and the funds with it - burning down.

Wwhhooooaaaaeeeee! New jet engine sounds!

Dang, planes are a bit hard to control.. Am I playing X-Plane 10?!

Resources are everywhere!

Is Valentina.. having a seizure?!

..I have weird thoughts.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, boy. This is going to be an interesting first few flights! :D SO MUCH BETTER, thank you, Squad!

http://i.imgur.com/f42VuFh.png

Also: I can now play reasonable framerates and loading time at my native resolution! YES!

And here I am, struggling to turn a rocket two degrees without flipping out, and constantly at 25 fps. :blush:

I'm in heaven (in both ways).

It did take me 6-8h to figure out the new atmosphere and it's implications on launch parameters.

But it was way worth the money I once paid, and the mess to update.

Squad I salute you, for doing it your way, and sticking to your way.

My thoughts while playing KSP 1.0

Yay, BRAKE CHUTES ARE NOW A THING!!

Oooh, fairings! A bit too hard to build, but still pretty good.

Am I watching Air Crash Investigation? (Shake effects)

Ascents are horrifying. A tiny boop on "D" could send the rocket - and the funds with it - burning down.

Wwhhooooaaaaeeeee! New jet engine sounds!

Dang, planes are a bit hard to control.. Am I playing X-Plane 10?!

Resources are everywhere!

Is Valentina.. having a seizure?!

..I have weird thoughts.

- - - Updated - - -

And here I am, struggling to turn a rocket two degrees without flipping out, and constantly at 25 fps. :blush:

did u make a fresh install?

Although I am happy about the improvements in aerodynamics, I think there is much to be done... (obviously this shouldn't be flying) :

650hzr.jpg

The positive side is that this wasn't possible with using wings only for the "box" :)

Is anyone else now able to fly atomic rockets in space without any oxidizer since installing update (only mod I have on right now is MechJeb)?

Just launched a refueling mission to my Duna station and realized I'm down to 3k fuel at 140km altitude, and 7k oxidizer left after making orbit.

Watched the fuel totals, while at max throttle for about two minutes and not a drop of oxidizer was used in that time, however, the four rockets seem to be burning through the LiquidFuel at least twice as fast as normal.

Is it just eating twice as much fuel now and no oxidizer, or is this a bug?

- - - Updated - - -

lol that's awesome Angezerus ^

===== Update =====

Just found an answer.

Scratched the flight, since it'd be pointless to arrive at Duna with a ship full of just oxidizer.

When I got back into the hanger I checked the atomic rocket and it does indeed show no oxidizer is required at all.

Looks like I'll have to send my science flights up to stations with an empty tank for oxidizer, should help recover a little of the costs on missions when I return it to home lol :P

Edited by Heart Under the Mountain

LoL @ Robotengineer :)

The whole heating system seems a bit like black magic at the moment. It feels like we should be given at least some basic display indicating where the heat is and which parts are in danger. Playing blind to one substantial element of the game isn't particularly fun.
There are some display options in the debug menu (alt-F12), and there is also a mod which shows heat bars when things are getting dangerous, HeatWarning.

I want to step back and say... I didn't see this coming, at least not with the kind of detail it has. I am both blown away by, and scratching my head with odd satisfaction at a new game mechanic to unravel. I'm going through learning pains, and the heating system may need some tweaks or UI help along these lines, but... wow. Congratulations Squad!

Is it me or are even short rockets superwobbly now?

Also heatshields seem redundant, since you wont heat up much until you hit patachute altitude, which will slow you down in a second.

Edited by Maizel

Anyone else disappointed by the new LV-N? I was originally excited when I saw the liquid fuel requirement and the increased mass. However, in practice the massive heat production from the engine effectively locks you out from playing the game at regular intervals. Not fun. Spamming parts to act as "radiators" is not really a viable workaround when you already have hundreds of parts and a low framerate.

I think either the heat production from the LV-N needs to be toned way down, or we need a single heat-sink part that can be placed above an LV-N to remove all heat problems from the engine.

Edited by Kerano

I think I'm going to avoid the forums for a while. I usually check in a couple times a day, to check out new submissions in the spacecraft exchange. Lately, though, my check-ins have been going like this: "Are people still mad about change? Looks like it. Whelp, I think that's enough forum for one sitting."

Like, I get why people are upset about some of the changes. Yeah, some of the decisions Squad made were kinda baffling, and that unstable reentry thing kinda sucks, but y'all are doing a heck of a lot of complaining. Don't get salty. Work around the problems. Remember when we didn't have landing gear? Remember when we had to turn off SAS to make adjustments? Remember when the Kraken preyed on ships that strayed to far from home? We worked around those, no sweat. The issues 1.0 introduced are far from the worst we've had to suffer the past few years, and the good things 1.0 introduced are really fantastic.

Be content with what we have, and with the knowledge that the game will only get better from here.

I like new aero, I like new parts and features, but tell me why AGAIN space plane parts had more love than rocket parts?

We have new landing gears (that is great I like building space planes from time to time), but why no new larger lading legs?

We have more wings... awesome I was crying about too many small wings and larger wings means less parts, so it is a good thing for me, but why no new tanks or SRBs sizes for rockets?

Wet wings yet another great addition... for planes.

I love Porkjet work on space plane parts, but can we have in future updates more love for rockets please?