The KSP 1.0 Grand Discussion Thread: Conquering Space Was Never This Easy!

KasperVld

I have the same concerns. As experienced players, we can work around these issues. We know just firing the jet engine will mark the contract completed, even without intakes. We know we can empty boosters and firing them will still complete the contract. These workarounds are unknown to new players, however, and can make the game very frustrating early on. The lack of science and illogical tech tree is a pain too.

Very much this. How can Career be expected to train a new player if they don't know how to use the system yet, let alone work around its inaccuracies?

Sandbox is good for that :)

In all other games i know of, sandbox is "the endgame". Not the tutorial. And the career is where you get eased into the game by a decent training curve.

If all other games do it that way, i don't think it's correct to assume that new players will do it that way. It's counter-intuitive anyway. First you learn how it's supposed to work (career), and then you push limits etc (sandbox).

I never realized how much I relied on Procedural Parts / tweakscale to make efficient rockets.

Making a manned mun lander/return in under 30 parts in the stock game is significantly more difficult.

I'd love if the part count limit was dropped altogether.

Your VAB level limits action groups, your launchpad limits ship size. Each has a reason for upgrade, and ships won't be huge abominations early game.

No need for an artificial part count limit, specially given the huge size the level 1 VAB has it just feels like an Insurmountable Waist Height Fence. On a sandbox game. A sandbox space game.

KSP isn't other games, it's KSP, and if career was just a big tutorial we'd see complaints about that :)

Most people like what they see o far.

Why would you? I bet you alot of money that nobody would complain if the career actually had a learning curve instead of a wall. You don't need to make the career easy (which is what you imply that i said, which is obviously not what i actually said). You need to make it accessible. As i said somewhere else, my girlfriend (gamer, not rocket scientist) gave up on KSP after 1.0. Saying "it's KSP" isn't even an argument, it's a game. The developers want to make money, and for that you need decent reviews.

And just as a sidenote, since you seem to have very selective reading: most of what i read about the career is actually not positive. Starting from a completely ilogical techtree (and people are unisono there, so no "most people like it"), to the said learning wall, to ilogical contracts - well.

We're not talking features like aero etc - we're talking about the career and accessability. And KSP got alot worse in those two departments.

edit: it's not meant aggressive, might read a bit like it.

Edited by m4inbrain

In all other games i know of, sandbox is "the endgame". Not the tutorial. And the career is where you get eased into the game by a decent training curve.

I think the problem is that some people assume that career mode is the equivalent of the campaign(s) that come with most games. Some story that introduces you to the game and then you go on to play in the sandbox with everything you learned in the campaigns. Career isn't a campaign though, in fact it has more that you have to deal with than sandbox.

No one would volunteer for a one way trip to the sun. The tourist contracts are supposed to be about tourism, not suicide pacts.

Then again, out of all the ways to die....

Not that any space program of mine would ever endorse suicide.

It does seem odd to me that many space tourists would be satisfied with a view from orbit. Makes sense if you can't actually land, but if I was gonna spend months getting somewhere, I'd want to spend enough time on the ground to make it worth while.

If all other games do it that way, i don't think it's correct to assume that new players will do it that way. It's counter-intuitive anyway. First you learn how it's supposed to work (career), and then you push limits etc (sandbox).

Idk, I tend to think of it as more of a free play, do whatever you want with the parts and planets mode, where in career mode you have to be concerned about managing the space program.

It still hasn't quite lived up to it though, it's still more about grinding points and unlocking stuff.

I really like the Mk 1 inline cockpit interior. It has a good field of view and it looks great. :)

But the new outside is hideous! The texture is bland, and it looks like someone stuck a bubble on a fuel tank.

No idea why that, or the pointed Mk1 cockpit needed a redo, the old models look far better.

Idk, I tend to think of it as more of a free play, do whatever you want with the parts and planets mode, where in career mode you have to be concerned about managing the space program.

It still hasn't quite lived up to it though, it's still more about grinding points and unlocking stuff.

Which still leaves the issue that the only hard thing in the career mode is the start, the more you progress through the tiers, the easier the game gets. It's actually completely inversed to what it should be, right now i lose interest in the career after mun/minmus, since from there on you got enough stuff unlocked to make everything else a non-challenge. Up to that point though, it is. After that point, you will never have fund-problems again, nor be creative to get somewhere/do something. To me, that's not fun, really. At least not past that point.

Which still leaves the issue that the only hard thing in the career mode is the start, the more you progress through the tiers, the easier the game gets. It's actually completely inversed to what it should be, right now i lose interest in the career after mun/minmus, since from there on you got enough stuff unlocked to make everything else a non-challenge. Up to that point though, it is. After that point, you will never have fund-problems again, nor be creative to get somewhere/do something. To me, that's not fun, really. At least not past that point.

I very much agree with this. In just the two days since 1.0 came out I've already started and aborted a few careers because of the progression wall in the early game making the beginning a grind. I think the sweet spot is when you do your first few Mun landings and interplanetary probes, but after that it basically becomes sandbox. Career still really needs some work.

On another note, has anyone seen/heard anything about the ability to customize the upgradeable buildings? I believe that was a promised feature for 1.0 at one point, but I couldn't find any configs in the game folder for that system.

I like the new features, but at the moment I am really really really frustrated that I can't get a rocket into orbit in my normal difficulty carreer save. I played nearly ten hours straight and I'm unable to build a rocket with enough delta-v.

So I don't like to play anymore at the moment. :(

I like the new features, but at the moment I am really really really frustrated that I can't get a rocket into orbit in my normal difficulty carreer save. I played nearly ten hours straight and I'm unable to build a rocket with enough delta-v.

So I don't like to play anymore at the moment. :(

That helped my girlfriend, and she managed to get into orbit/mun, still gave up on the game. Maybe it helps you too.

I'm having trouble down loading the up grade. I click on the patcher but I get a message saying "Squad Patcher Busy, Hold on we're getting set up." I've tried being patent but it just sticks there.

I've tried turning off E-set. Am I doing some thing wrong?

Lee

I think the problem is that some people assume that career mode is the equivalent of the campaign(s) that come with most games. Some story that introduces you to the game and then you go on to play in the sandbox with everything you learned in the campaigns. Career isn't a campaign though, in fact it has more that you have to deal with than sandbox.

And arguing that new players can't figure this out doesn't make much sense either. The New Game dialog clearly states: in Career, you have to manage every aspect of your space program. If that's not clear enough that it's harder than Sandbox, I don't know what is.

I can't be the only one thrilled at the idea of all my old understanding of the game's mechanics being thrown out the window and essentially being able to play the game again like it was my first day.

Having it easy and knowing everything was getting really tired.

I can't be the only one thrilled at the idea of all my old understanding of the game's mechanics being thrown out the window and essentially being able to play the game again like it was my first day.

Having it easy and knowing everything was getting really tired.

Same! And I have no idea why they called the update 'easy' in the title. It's actually harder than it used to be and I like it! Though still using KER for dV and TWR. Shame it didn't make it into the update.

It really is it any harder, and the dv to orbit is now lower, right? I noticed no difference at all, but I usually play with FAR (that said I never noticed much difference with FAR, either).