The KSP 1.0 Grand Discussion Thread: Conquering Space Was Never This Easy!

KasperVld

So far 1.0.2 has been a lot laggier for me vs. the last version. I have a bunch of mods installed so I assume it's that but I have the same set installed on the previous version and it seemed much faster and bug free. Got lots of stuff blowing up for no apparent reason and launch clamps appearing and falling off me mid flight. Also looks like copies of my ship are being produced as debris mid flight as well.

1.0.2 has been excellent in my opinion. Im not a hardcore gamer or someone who picks out the bugs. What fascinates me about this is the new aero. Hated it at first but now brilliant. Struggled with the gravity turn at first, but now learnt to be quite aggressive in the turn till 5000. If no update ever arrives, ill still be playing KSP till im put in a box. For me, gaming has reached its finest moment in gaming history :)

The latest update is indeed awesome. Launching rockets is more fun than ever. The only downside i have encountered is the lack of proper large LF tanks for interplanetary transfer with the LV-N engines. This really sucks at the moment, as i am confined to Kerbins SOI (ok, i can build other systems... BUT I DONT WANT TO ;) )

Umm.......

Has anyone else noticed that the R.A.P.I.E.R. engine suddenly has a max thrust of "1189.9 @Mach 3.7" in atmosphere?

Thrust scales with Isp now, and Isp falls off with altitude. You can only get close to that figure by hitting Mach 3.7 at very low altitude, where there is so much drag that you'd need it and would probably burn up anyway.

That would make an SSTO extremely easy I would think...

So did I... until I actually tried to make one. It turns out the RAPIER's fuel inefficiency and rampant overheating issues ensure that SSTOs are hardly easier with them than without, at least in my experience.

• 3 weeks later...

About 1.0- This, somehow, is still a thing:

tfpbv6q.jpg

In case you couldn't tell, there's a gap between the KSC ground texture and Mission Control. I remember this from a while ago, and it doesn't seem like such a difficult fix- after all, they're just moving the Mission Control model forwards.

Playing KSP again after a long time away. I chose the hard mode in the carrier mode, and all was going well until I discovered that I needed to upgrade the buildings, and the price for that is too high. Well, I got to orbit, but I'm already very handicapped with mostly lv 1 buildings. I can't imagine the amount of grinding necessary to upgrade the VAB, and grinding is not fun... Science and reputation are ok, as is money overall except for buying the upgraded facilities. I think halving their cost would make the hard mode more balanced.

Playing KSP again after a long time away. I chose the hard mode in the carrier mode, and all was going well until I discovered that I needed to upgrade the buildings, and the price for that is too high. Well, I got to orbit, but I'm already very handicapped with mostly lv 1 buildings. I can't imagine the amount of grinding necessary to upgrade the VAB, and grinding is not fun... Science and reputation are ok, as is money overall except for buying the upgraded facilities. I think halving their cost would make the hard mode more balanced.

Restart a new career right now on Normal mode. Hard mode is not any harder than Normal mode, just more grindy. If you find Normal mode too grindy, go into Easy mode. There is NO shame in it.

Think of your favorite game other than KSP. Let's say Mass Effect for instance. Imagine if Normal and Hard modes were the same in that game, only in Hard mode you got half the XP for everything and had to do each mission (with no changes) twice.

And Insane mode you'd have to do them 10 times for 1/10th the XP. That's KSP's hard mode.

Restart a new career right now on Normal mode. Hard mode is not any harder than Normal mode, just more grindy. If you find Normal mode too grindy, go into Easy mode. There is NO shame in it.

Yeah, just done it. I'm now basically in the same point as I was with hard mode, but I got most of the money to upgrade the VAB basically by doing a 4 passenger sub-orbital ferry (3 missions in one, thanks to the upgraded mission control that I didn't had on hard and thus could only carry 3 passengers) and an orbital mission, testing some parts on the way. However, I'm going to upgrade the tracking center first for a moon flyby that I hope I can do with 30 parts including plenty of science instruments.

The penny counting on hard mode had it's charm, but being virtually locked on lv1 buildings was becoming too limiting. I will enjoy the game on normal mode now, thanks. Latter I plan to run with realism overhaul, that seems the right kind of hard.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
^ This.

Also, a request to SQUAD: Please add some kind of flavor text in the next patch that indicates that if we decline a rescue mission, some other agency will take care of it. Unless of course I'm correct in assuming that nobody else is going to do anything and when the mission expires the Kerbal dies o_O

Yes, Seconded, Please- I know its only flavor, but yes, please do so.

Has anybody noticed/discussed super fast heating during 4x physics warp? A lot of my stuff just randomly blows up while im in space on 4x physics warp even if i have heat spreaders. And these things don't normally blow up in 16sec but they will blow up on 4x physics warp in 4sec.

Has anybody noticed/discussed super fast heating during 4x physics warp? A lot of my stuff just randomly blows up while im in space on 4x physics warp even if i have heat spreaders. And these things don't normally blow up in 16sec but they will blow up on 4x physics warp in 4sec.

Physical time acceleration does lots of weird things. This is the tip of the iceberg and is a symptom of problematic design and the dangers of accelerating physics in pretty much any game.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't know if I should create a new topic just for this.

Personally, I think KSP is rather expensive for such a small game it is. Well, it isn't that small, but it's an indie game, and it's small compared to other games.

Compare it to Rust. KSP is small, Rust is big. KSP costs $39.99, while Rust costs $14.99. Why?

If Squad wants KSP to be a huge success (more than it is actually), they need to lower the price. I understand that the game is fully released now, but the price should go down. You can pay almost $20 less for a bigger game than KSP.

Edited by RockyTV

It kinda makes me angry to hear people asking for KSP to be cheaper. I bought it for 28, but I could have bought it for as low as 16 if I had waited for a sale. This game should be the standard $60 for a game. In an industry where people pay $70 for crappy games, KSP stands alone as an Early Access that provided many times over its value in content than originally promised. If you don't like the price of KSP, don't buy it. You are the one missing out, not Squad.