The KSP 1.0 Grand Discussion Thread: Conquering Space Was Never This Easy!

KasperVld

Kerbal Space Program 1.0: Downloading an update was never this hard!

But seriously, this is an issue that should've been solved long ago in my opinion. As a result of not transferring my store purchase to Steam, I'm having to wait for, essentially, a later release date than Steam users.

Edited by Shna_na

It's been a fun ride SQUAD! Best 17$ I have ever spent on a video game. Thank you so much for all your hard work guys. Was able to play a bit yesterday, I played enough to get to orbit. And I also checked out all the new and revamped tutorials and scenarios. This game really does feel like its done now! Looking forward to the flood of mods moving to 1.0 :)

I'm glad to see the official 1.0 version of this game getting released. I had walked away from this game after learning Squad had by and large abandoned working on a stable windows 64 bit version. Still its a great game and I'm glad to see it's still under development post 1.0. Might check out the new features and see if there's enough room for my favorite mods. Congratulations to Squad. I hope they eventually revisit 64 bit with a future Unity 5 version.

Just install Linux mate. I was close to walking away too in .90 but bit the bullet and installed Ubuntu. It's very easy to do as it walks you through the install. You can throw almost as many mods as you want it then,

The materials bay was a terrible science module to use in the previous version because it was taking a lot of space but now it is even worse. I can't put it on the side of my rocket because it doubles the drag and I can't stack it because it's long and light so it makes my nose like a balloon which I'm supposed to take into space. If someone has figured out a way of efficiently placing that bay please tell me. They give a ton of science and for every situation I need 3 of them to get all of it.

Hi guys, how to uninstall all mods which were installed before? I want to play original game first but have so many mods in my games folder now and I'm afraid of deleteing original files

I didn't have that many mods, but all I had to do was go to the Game Data folder and drag every folder except for the one labeled "Squad" into a different location. The game then loaded just fine with only stock parts.

The materials bay was a terrible science module to use in the previous version because it was taking a lot of space but now it is even worse. I can't put it on the side of my rocket because it doubles the drag and I can't stack it because it's long and light so it makes my nose like a balloon which I'm supposed to take into space. If someone has figured out a way of efficiently placing that bay please tell me. They give a ton of science and for every situation I need 3 of them to get all of it.

I'm using my experience with FAR as sufficiently analogous to the new aerodynamics.

One inline shouldn't be too difficult. I've done that lots of times with FAR. You just have to be really careful how you tweak the CG to make sure you have a stable lander.

As for three, I recall Manley doing lots of missions with three mounted radially with FAR installed.

There's definitely a tradeoff now that you didn't have before. The atmosphere acts as a much thinner one now, so the dV requirements for a single streamlined stack is reduced, but you get really penalized for not streamlining. So if your dV is poor, what about streamlining the outboard components with cones or fairings? You've still got a large cross section, but you should be able to manage better. Just don't expect to use ye olde birthday cake asparagus stages anymore. It's a different, higher fidelity world now.

I must say that getting to orbit and back with the parts provided only in the first three nodes of the tech tree and with all facilities at level 1 was pretty challenging! I have not been able to do it yet with 2 goo canisters and a Science Jr.

- - - Updated - - -

So has any smart person determined how the altitude-terminal velocity relationship has changed in the new game? My fairly tall 1.25 meter Mk1-topped stack seems to want to go faster than before, but it also seems to want to flip out a lot more if I go faster than the old TV values.

I would side-attach, x3 or x4 symmetry for balance, and put nose cones on top of them, to help with the drag. In .90 and before, nose cones didn't do a thing except look nice, now they actually do something. Also watch your speed, drag is higher closer to the ground... if you were going at max thrust, try taking a slower approach.

If you want to mount them radially use nose cones.

If stacked, open your mk I chute before you flip. The reason you flip is because of center of mass being higher than the center of your craft. Adding the science jr. under your command pod will result in a flip. Can also not jettison your final stage until your ready to deploy chutes.

Edited by delder92663

Excessive speed KILLS in version 1.0

Terminal velocity seems to be right around the sound barrier at low altitudes, and is a bit more forgiving at high altitudes. I have generally found, if I just reduce thrust of any SRBs and keep the throttle lower for a while, I have no problem getting to orbit with more fuel available than I used to - with the same ship!

For example: I have never been able to take the Stock Kerbal-X and do a full Mun landing and return. With 1.0 - I can. The key to not getting that huge rocket to flip out is to keep speeds a little lower going up.

I'll be putting together a detailed tutorial on my channel - with luck I might publish it tonight!

Ok i enjoyed the adding of heating but it seems little stupid... I can go 800ms at 1000m to 2000m but I can only go 900ms at 18km when theres less than 1/4 the air... Do you physics bro.. or common sense even. less air hitting your craft at a given speed will mean less heating it doesn't have to be exactly liner but like being off by that much makes no sense, either make it so you have to travel less fast down low or make it so the heat is less aggressive higher up.

Also the non inclusion of heating indicators for AT LEAST the cockpit is a massive oversight, also the cockpits should have active heat shielding, this problem more comes with space planes and rockets are fine the way they are mostly because the fairings act as a heatshield and have a 2400 max temp, and the arcing of a Rocket is a lot different than a space plane.

Although I think all of the engines need nerfing now for rocket, just thrust not so much DeltaV although they could do with a little nerfing in deltaV just in the higher thrust engines, solid rocket fuel should keep its deltV because its under used anyway because of the OPness of KSP liquid engines TWR and pure thrust.

Once deadly reentry is updated I am so moving back over to that, although for aerodynamics I think they hit a happy medium between being intuitive and being fun, ill probably move back over to FAR when its updated but the stock aerodynamics are good, I just like the difficulty of FAR, but I can wait quite a while for FAR because the stock aerodynamics are good enough.

Edited by etheoma

In a way I'm sad that most of my ships won't work anymore, but on the other hand it feels like when I first started playing and was learning.

Suffering with deadly reentry, but having fun as well.

The whole heating system seems a bit like black magic at the moment. It feels like we should be given at least some basic display indicating where the heat is and which parts are in danger. Playing blind to one substantial element of the game isn't particularly fun.

Started my new career mode game last night. New features are all great.

I used FAR so I'm used to the aero. It is a little different from FAR but not too much. I love being able to deploy a chute at high speeds w/o having them burn up due to deadly re-entry.

Camera wobble on re-entry made me sick. Had to turn it off.

Love the surface deflection!

It seems like gravity turns can be done properly as well now. As longs as I kept a low angle of attack, my turns looked great! No wobbly rockets.

Ummm...... will have to unlock more parts before I can report further.

The whole heating system seems a bit like black magic at the moment. It feels like we should be given at least some basic display indicating where the heat is and which parts are in danger. Playing blind to one substantial element of the game isn't particularly fun.

There are some display options in the debug menu (alt-F12), and there is also a mod which shows heat bars when things are getting dangerous, HeatWarning.

Can someone please explain this line?

Does it mean that thrust now scales with Isp, instead of fuel consumption scaling with Isp?

All it means is that the max thrust scales with ISP, in addition to fuel consumption. Basically, rather than assuming the engine is limited by the total thrust it can create, it's limited by how fast it can pump fuel into the chamber. At max thrust, the fuel rate is the same, but you get less thrust due to lower ISP. This is how atmospheric pressure affects real rocket engines.

Its neither fun, intuitive or realistic you mean, on an actual space ship they have readouts for known hots spots and definitely the cabin and probably the cockpit as a hole.

- - - Updated - - -

There are some display options in the debug menu (alt-F12), and there is also a mod which shows heat bars when things are getting dangerous, HeatWarning.

But the point is there should be a stock warning system that's like super obvious... Deadly reentry made it super super obvious when a sound effect particle effects temp readout's for every part and heat indicators when things were getting dangerous... I think the heating has been a total flop when it can't even compete with a mod on realism fun or intuitively. Well except for the fact that it broke the mod so yeh... I suppose on that metric it wins kinda by default but I don't think that really counts.

Edited by etheoma

1.0 is a blast! Really enjoy playing it even without most of my favorite mods.

But there is still one very big disappointment:

- I really hoped big planets would get new biomes. That's such a downside that they don't have this exploring potential like Mun and Minmus do. I understand there are mods which add biomes, but they're not widely supported by other science mods. If Squad had added new biomes to other planets that would be such a wonder.

Small disappointment is that there's still no reason to use different antennas except for their looks.