[1.0.x] HeatWarning

technicalfool

1GqG78Z.png

Video: https://vid.me/vJ6c

Binaries here.

Alternate not-Curseforge download for 1.0.3 here.

Alternate not-Curseforge download for 1.0.0-1.0.2 here.

Source code here (note: Update 14 uses the testing branch).

It'll blast a quite loud audio warning at you when any part of the current vessel is above 70% of its skinMaxTemp (maxTemp in 1.0.0-1.0.2). You also get a visual indication with thermometers hovering over the overheating parts.

I don't know how useful it is in debugging heatflow issues, but it's there for anybody who wants to play with it. I'll see if I can do an IVA visual warning, and this'll go public when 1.0 does. IVA warning done.

Thanks to: Stupid_chris, Sarbian, NathanKell, Blizzy, Pizzaoverhead, and all the other #kspmodders who've had to deal with my inane questions and frustrated wittering.

Update history

Update: Fix'd. Still doesn't work quite right in IVA, but that's coming next.

Update2: Moved the calculations to FixedUpdate. Sorry Chris.

Update3: You can cancel the audible warning by clicking an applicationlauncher button. The noise will stay cancelled until everything stops overheating.

(Also, lots less log spam.)

Update 4: Map view alert pulse.

Update 5: Critical heat warning occurs when temp is at 90% of maxtemp for any part. This has its own override and will sound even if you've cancelled a previous heat warning. Also added some flashing around the thermometers.

Update 6: Bugfix. Warning no longer sticks on when a seperatron causes the rocket to blow in half.

Update 7: Bugfix. Critical heat button no longer stays on once cooled to below critical temperatures with an overridden normal-overheat alert.

Update 8: Bugfix. Map view alert no longer interferes with manouver node selection or editing.

Update 9: Bugfix. IVA alerts now work.

Update 10: New known bug: Switching to a not-overheating vessel while your vessel is overheating will keep the thermometers on the screen. Annoying. Must whack. Whacked.

Update 11: Added separate audio alarm for critical heat warning. Miscellaneous bugfixing.

Update 12: Configuration UI added. Woohoo!

Update 13: Stock gauges are disabled by default while this mod is enabled. Source moved to Github.

Update 14: 1.0.3 compatibility.

Update 15: Duplicate button bug destroyed! Also, warning volume set to ship volume instead of being pegged at max.

The MIT License (MIT)

Copyright © 2015 Marc "Technicalfool" Gale

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy

of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal

in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights

to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell

copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is

furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in

all copies or substantial portions of the Software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR

IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,

FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE

AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER

LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM,

OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN

THE SOFTWARE.

Update 12 version for 1.0.0 users here if Update 13 doesn't work.

Edited by technicalfool
Whacked Dat Bug

• 2 weeks later...
Wow this looks good, thanks TechnicalFool :)

Hehe, thanks for the copy+bump.

Known bug: The thermometers won't disappear in IVA view, and show in odd positions. It's minor, and will be fixed in updates, about the same time I make an IVA warning effect.

(Anybody know how to detect if the current camera is the IVA cam? Kinda scratching my head on that one...)

I'll be watching this...can't wait to see what people say about this. I AM concerned about the audio warning, however. That can get annoying if there is nothing you can do when it comes up. Is there a way to disable the audio warning if you do not want to hear it?

I'll be watching this...can't wait to see what people say about this. I AM concerned about the audio warning, however. That can get annoying if there is nothing you can do when it comes up. Is there a way to disable the audio warning if you do not want to hear it?

There's an override button that comes up in the ApplicationLauncher menu. The critical heat warning is overridden separately from the normal overheat warning. Right now I'm working on a config menu to completely disable audio warnings (as well as working on the IVA bug).

Once that's done I'll make a proper Github project page for it too.

omg it was my first tough after i exploded midflight. thx for that

EDIT: imagine the debug heat color would fade in slowly when parts start to heating up, so we can have a visual indicator on all parts with critical heat

Edited by whaaw

Neat idea! Would you consider making a similar one for aerodynamic stressors? Is that a reasonable thing to implement? (I honestly have no idea about such things...)

While FAR has a nice written warning, I've always wished for a thermal/aerostress klaxon (at a reasonable volume level) like in all those sci-fi movies...

/why yes, my SSTOs do come in hot

thanks for the cool mod. i installed just like my other mods, but i'm having issues. first, when i overheat, there is no audio warning, just the little sliders on the parts that are overheating. and second, small white squares appear in the toolbar area in the upper right. if i right-click them they go away. anyone else having issues with this? i'm on 1.0

thanks!

thanks for the cool mod. i installed just like my other mods, but i'm having issues. first, when i overheat, there is no audio warning, just the little sliders on the parts that are overheating. and second, small white squares appear in the toolbar area in the upper right. if i right-click them they go away. anyone else having issues with this? i'm on 1.0

thanks!

Hi there. As I've mentioned on your Curse comment, it's not a bug I've come across yet. Any pictures and/or video would be helpful. I'll do what I can to fix things.

That said, the "white squares" may be the override icons failing to load properly, and at the moment I've no idea why there would be no sound. Are all the mod files in GameData/HeatWarning where they should be?

You should have the following files in GameData/HeatWarning:

heatButton.png
criticalHeatButton.png
overheat_warn.ogg
HeatWarning.dll
LICENSE.txt

Only LICENSE.txt is not needed. The rest must all be present, and you need to make sure it hasn't been installed into something like GameData/HeatWarning/HeatWarning, as it'll probably fail.

Edited by technicalfool

Congratulations for this tasty useful mod. I'm having an issue with that in 1.0. When the alarms start, I'm unable to edit maneuvers node in map view. I can create them, but nothing more. It happens only when the alarm is active.

Congratulations for this tasty useful mod. I'm having an issue with that in 1.0. When the alarms start, I'm unable to edit maneuvers node in map view. I can create them, but nothing more. It happens only when the alarm is active.

Might be because I'm creating a screen-size quad for the pulse effect. I'll have to look at making sure it's click-throughable.

Yay more stuff. This'll have to wait until I've had some sleep, but I'm already looking at using DrawTexture instead of GUI.Box. We'll see.

Edited by technicalfool

(Anybody know how to detect if the current camera is the IVA cam? Kinda scratching my head on that one...)

Here's the 0.90 method. I would hope it hasn't changed too much:

https://github.com/pizzaoverhead/KerbTrack/blob/master/KerbTrack/KerbTrack.cs#L402

CameraManager.Instance.currentCameraMode == CameraManager.CameraMode.Internal ||  // Window zoom cameras
case CameraManager.CameraMode.IVA // Main IVA view

Might be because I'm creating a screen-size quad for the pulse effect. I'll have to look at making sure it's click-throughable.

Yay more stuff. This'll have to wait until I've had some sleep, but I'm already looking at using DrawTexture instead of GUI.Box. We'll see.

Sleep is for the weak.

There's stuff in the source that's not ready yet, but it's effectively null code and doesn't do anything. Major point is, any bug involving selecting stuff while the map view pulse effect is active, has now been whacked. Files updated, feel free to download the new version.

Here's the 0.90 method. I would hope it hasn't changed too much:

https://github.com/pizzaoverhead/KerbTrack/blob/master/KerbTrack/KerbTrack.cs#L402

CameraManager.Instance.currentCameraMode == CameraManager.CameraMode.Internal ||  // Window zoom cameras
case CameraManager.CameraMode.IVA // Main IVA view

This I shall have to try!

This is a great mod idea. Can you configure it to only play the audio warnings for the most critical part in the craft?

Or to really ask for a lot, an analog sonification (like the back-up camera warning beep in your car?)

When flying spaceplanes, I am busy looking at stuff already and visual warnings just add clutter. I can usually figure out which parts are too hot because they're the ones that explode first in test flights.

All I want is an audio cue that helps me fly ascents, telling me when (and how much) I should throttle back or pitch up.

This is a great mod idea. Can you configure it to only play the audio warnings for the most critical part in the craft?

Or to really ask for a lot, an analog sonification (like the back-up camera warning beep in your car?)

When flying spaceplanes, I am busy looking at stuff already and visual warnings just add clutter. I can usually figure out which parts are too hot because they're the ones that explode first in test flights.

All I want is an audio cue that helps me fly ascents, telling me when (and how much) I should throttle back or pitch up.

Crikey. Well, we'll see when I get this thing into a more complete shape. I have a few... ideas. That's if I can get it all nicely working.

Also, bug whacked. New release available.

Idea, could you maybe add a visual warning that can be done with the audio warning off? Or perhaps turn off the audio warning? For those that don't want the audio or can't use it for various reasons.

Next thing I'm working on (assuming no more horrific bugs crop up) is an options menu.

And maybe some more sound effects.

Bit of a lack of sleep right now though. I've been whacking bugs instead of snoring. This must be rectified!

I like the looks of this mod, but i wanna see if all modders is going to do this: save their textures as a .DDS as it will load faster and uses less RAM than regular textures, now that KSP has a stock DDS loader.

thanks for the response! sorry i posted on Curse as well, i wasn't sure which one you'd actually check. right now in GameData/HeatWarning, i have HeatWarning.cs and then another HeatWarming folder. is the .cs file the source and not needed? i just unzipped straight into GameData folder.

i stripped that out now brought the second HeatWarning folder up a level so it's now just GateData/HeatWarning. and it works perfect!

well i feel dumb now :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.