[1.0.x] HeatWarning

technicalfool

thanks for the response! sorry i posted on Curse as well, i wasn't sure which one you'd actually check. right now in GameData/HeatWarning, i have HeatWarning.cs and then another HeatWarming folder. is the .cs file the source and not needed? i just unzipped straight into GameData folder.

i stripped that out now brought the second HeatWarning folder up a level so it's now just GateData/HeatWarning. and it works perfect!

well i feel dumb now :P

Hah, yes. This mod was very much rushed out to get released in time for 1.0, I've been going nuts all day fixing little bugs and glitches that weren't caught before then. If you downloaded it a while ago, redownload it. The killers have all been caught and whacked that I can see.

The .cs file is the source code. No you don't need it, unless you want to study its current awfulness to see how I made the mod. At some point I'm going to strip that out into its own Github project page.

Fantastic mod, may well as be stock when it's all polished out, good job man! Looking forward to seeing this finalized

Why thankyou! Shouldn't take too long to get the things I want done for a "release" version.

I really do need sleep first though. Over 30 hours now, mostly due to playing whackamole with bugs in this thing. I think I need a rest!

I like the looks of this mod, but i wanna see if all modders is going to do this: save their textures as a .DDS as it will load faster and uses less RAM than regular textures, now that KSP has a stock DDS loader.

I'm going to give it a try. However, in the specific case of ApplicationLauncher buttons, TriggerAu's specification demands a 38x38 texture, and the .dds reader breaks horribly on non-power-of-two sized textures. For it to work, I'd need to make the buttons either 32x32 or 64x64, and I don't know how the application launcher will react to that.

The current buttons are only a few KB each though, even as PNG files. Really not very big.

Anyone know if they removed the debug glow option. Das during his stream showed a debug option that made parts start to glow when they started getting hot. not the heat map that changes everything to a heat color, but one that just adds glow like the engines do.

...okay, I'm amused.

Or you could use this.

How's that for an alarm clock? (sound is from ST:TOS ; was originally an American Destroyer battle stations siren).

- - - Updated - - -

I honestly think that the most informative solution for those who want acutal per-part data is to use something similar to (or even just like!) the flight dynamics data overlays in Farham Aerospace. It would display part temperatures in a color-coded wireframe in either absolute temperature or as a percentage of each part's maximum thermal tolerance. Then as re-entry occurs one could get a visually aggregate picture of how the spaceframe heats up; which parts heat up fastest, which parts heat up nearest their tolerances, etc. And then that knowledge can be taken back to the design. Trying to work with specific engineering data points in realtime during a mission I think is (most of the time) too distracting from the task of actually running the mission.

As a suggestion, a more immersive voice to use for the alarm would be a female Kerbal one. As Kerbish is Spanish, played backwards, it would be really easy to do - just get a computer synthesized female voice to say the words "sobrecalentar" (Overheat) and "advertencia" (Warning), play it backwards, and bingo - immersive computerized voice!

(As an aside - in real life, automated voice cockpit warnings are usually female voices, as predominantly male pilots are more likely to respond psychologically to a soft female voice telling them what to do in a crisis)

(As an aside - in real life, automated voice cockpit warnings are usually female voices, as predominantly male pilots are more likely to respond psychologically to a soft female voice telling them what to do in a crisis)

Isn't it more like "Shut up I know what I have to do!"^^

@Topic:

Would it be possible to add a tweak so you can make the first alarm go off at 50% and the second alarm at 80%? Because at 90% the alarm doesn't get too ring because it overheats too fast in this region.

Also I changed the sounds to the alarm from the nostromo, this is awesome.

Oh my, I haven't checked this thread in a few days.

Yes, I still want to improve the mod. I am working on a config menu (and if you study the source, you'll see some 'null code' that's going to be a config menu when done). Just a case of finding some time to do it.

I see you're using the image pulse in IVA. I have a suggestion for an alternative:

http://i.imgur.com/9y2YKMz.png

Oh, using proper light sources (along with some other effects I'm thinking of) is generally the idea. Copying the map view pulse for IVA is just a quick "works for now" thing.

And yay for getting a bit further with GUI stuff. No new releases yet, but things are happening.

Update: Added a simple config UI. It has its own ApplicationLauncher window and is accessible in every scene once a game has been loaded.

(Edit: I didn't realise the FTP client was sat there asking whether I wanted to overwrite the old file or not. If you used the alternate download link in the few minutes between me posting the update and confirming the overwrite, and you aren't seeing any changes, just redownload. Ahem. Whoops.)

Edited by technicalfool

Going forward, it would help a lot if you could include a version number somewhere in the download -- a changelog, a .version file, etc. Dates of updates would also be great!

Edit: Revision control for the source code would also be excellent.

Edited by Kerbas_ad_astra

I've got a bug report: the options button ("[flame]?") has a duplicate icon hanging off to the side (it's stock KSP plus HeatWarning):

Javascript is disabled. View full album

(EDIT: The options button also shows upon the main menu -- maybe this is related?)

For future releases, it would be great to have a readme file with a version number and changelog (helpful to ensure I've got the most recent version when updating -- dates of revisions would be super-helpful).

Thanks!

I've got a bug report: the options button ("[flame]?") has a duplicate icon hanging off to the side (it's stock KSP plus HeatWarning):

Yeah, I've noted that bug on the Curseforge project page. It's minor in that it doesn't affect gameplay and still allows you to click through it, and intermittent. I'm also not sure if it's me or the ApplicationLauncher that's bugged there, but I do want to fix it.

Something to bend TriggerAu's ear about perhaps, when I catch him online next.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.