[1.12.x] USI Life Support

RoverDude

On 12/21/2015 at 3:50 PM, Kowgan said:

@goldenpsp It's a good way to go as well. I personally think it's more challenging to try not to let those kerbals die, and if necessary, I have to plan a rescue/emergency supplies delivery mission to be launched asap. Not using Revert, and having to reach the targets in time adds to the challenge.

Anyway, either way is valid, as long as we're having fun with our games. Thanks RDude for making both ways possible.

Well to be fair, regardless of the outcome it is essentially the same challenge to not let the kerbals run out of life support.  In reality I have never lost a crew with any of the LS mods.  But at some point if the worst were to happen I still find it more challenging to have to go rescue them.  What I'm meaning is if you hit that point where the crew is lost (problems occurred, no way to ship emergency supplies in time), if they were set to die then oops nothing left to do.  If they are set to revolt I can still plan a mission to rescue them.

That being said both options are there so all good.  I just disagree that setting them to death is somehow a greater challenge than the other.  They are just different.

3 hours ago, goldenpsp said:

I just disagree that setting them to death is somehow a greater challenge than the other.  They are just different.

You're right! :) I correct myself. No challenge is greater than the other.

Edited by Kowgan

In the OP it indicates "Kerbals require supplies. Kerbals also require EC."

I believe I understand what supplies are, however, I am not sure what the "EC" acronym is. I am sure it is something simple I am just overthinking. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks!

Saw that a few other posters are having issues with all their supplies being consumed... this seems to be happening to me very often if I warp at 100000x for more than 15 days, or if I'm switched to a different ship. 

Containers aren't locked and kerbals consume resources normally if I warp in 14-day increments.

I changed ECAmount to 0 and (so far) haven't seen it happen again. Can't really confirm that that fixes it though. I might be doing something else weird and wrong.

Hi RoverDude,

Loving the mod, just one question.

Is there a way I can only see the ships that have crew in the LS overview? Now it shows everything with a crew seat. This tends to make for a long list with all the shuttles, landers, rovers and whatnot I leave scattered around the Kerbol system. :D

I was thinking about this as well.  

• Hide vessels with zero supplies and zero crew - or don't show "debris" category ships?
  • Show only vessels with less then 14 days of supplies left? (seems so arbitrary)
  • Parts with zero crew could show (# of days with min crew, # of days with max crew)
  • Sort options?
  • Text filter entry box?

10 hours ago, RoverDude said:

It *should* already be hiding vessels with zero crew...  If it is not, toss me a save file please.

Rescue contracts - after you have rescued the Kerbal, the vessel remains in the list of vessels shown in the green block of gelatin icon window.

0.2.0 IS UP!

0.2.0 - 2015.12.29
------------------
24-hour clock support and cost fixes (thanks Kerbas-ad-astra!)
Empty vessels are now properly cleaned up
Command Chairs are now checked for life support
Tin-raiding has been replaced by an auto-unlock feature
A host of new config values are now included - update to taste.  

New defaults should be fine... some may have interesting results :)

I am doing this update in a few phases because of the changes involved.  This one pretty much covers the core logic and basic supply stuff.  Recyclers will be next, but necessitate some new parts - note that when that hits, your consumption rate will jump to 15 supplies per day until you slap on a recycler (good) or get to a reliable water source (better).  Habs will be last, but must coincide with MKS, Karibou, and MKS-Lite releases.  

Greenhouses and recyclers will work on two different mechanics.  the recyclers reduce consumption (there is no conversion, you consume less and produce less mulch).  Greenhouses focus on converting mulch (with some fertilizer) back into supplies.  Thus the two can work together, and one could (in theory) build a very large 'biofilter', but it will be a lot less space efficient (i.e. the best avenue will be a combination of both systems).

55 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

Habs will be last, but must coincide with MKS, Karibou, and MKS-Lite releases.

Any big changes in the planned implementation of habs, or will it be pretty much the same as what you outlined a few months ago?

Also, thanks for the update!

1 hour ago, RoverDude said:

0.2.0 IS UP!

Great news!

It's not entirely correct yet.

I have two vessels with crew currently active. When I go to the asteroid base with 12 kerbals, I see this:

qbn50DI.png

When I switch to the training facility on Minmus, I see this:

HeEx3Fi.png

The asteroid station doesn't see the Minmus Akademy, the latter doesn't recognize that the shuttle is empty (parked next to it) and the asteroid station has 8 crew and 4 tourists.

It IS a lot cleaner now though. :) Loving it.

Edited by Snarfster
Updated because of tired brains.

18 minutes ago, Gotcha said:

Is this compatible with TACL or others life support systems?

Ok stupid question.  This IS a life support system.  Why would you ever try to use 2 different life support systems?

Short answer is no, I don't know of ANY life support mods that work with any other life support mods.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.