[1.12.x] USI Life Support

RoverDude

That will absolutely be doable.  Just working out the precise mechanics.

There will also be mechanics for extending hab time without having to just add more space or hab multipliers.  The angle I am working on currently makes the assumption that supplies are your bare essentials.  Sure, you can survive with a sponge bath and scraping algae off of the walls... but if you make things a bit more comfy (similar to how the U.S. Navy ensures submariners have some of the best food out there, and some private companies take similar measures for remote employees), you're going to be a bit more tolerant of the living conditions.

This has also been discussed in relation to space travel, with the idea of supporting limited amounts of things like fish, etc. - that despite being not as space efficient as scraping off algae, can have a dramatic impact on morale for a crew on a long journey.

Help! How do I rescue an kerbalnaut who's run out of life support? Valentina is in orbit around Minmus and has run out of NOMS. Her capsule doesn't have a docking port and she is too grumpy to EVA.

23 minutes ago, tjt said:

Help! How do I rescue an kerbalnaut who's run out of life support? Valentina is in orbit around Minmus and has run out of NOMS. Her capsule doesn't have a docking port and she is too grumpy to EVA.

You have a couple of options:

If all she needs are supplies, you could use KAS and an engineer to bolt a supply pack to the side of her craft. If I recall correctly, the USI Survival Pack mod has a really handy tiny supply bag with ~25 supplies or so...? Note that if Val also needs habitation time that this will not solve that problem.

Alternatively, you can use the Klaw to dock a new vessel to Val's, even though hers doesn't have a docking port. As soon as they dock, Val should be able to access any supplies and habitation time-boosting parts (just about anything that provides crew capacity counts). If she's just stranded in LKO, you could even try just docking a tiny probe with a klaw and using it to de-orbit Val's craft (since the probe would then be in command of Val's vessel, and probes do not need supplies or habitation time).

Good luck with your rescue!

Just now, Merkov said:

Good luck with your rescue!

Thanks! No Klaw yet (really low tech so far). Luckily I do have KAS installed. I'll try that option. If I can just get her some coffee so she'll get out of her grumpy funk and EVA. It would be nice to save the capsule too though. 

Too bad NOMS can't be moved like experiments can from one capsule to another (I'm sure this is crazy complicated and RoverDude has already thought of that...I guy can dream though)

31 minutes ago, tjt said:

Thanks! No Klaw yet (really low tech so far). Luckily I do have KAS installed. I'll try that option. If I can just get her some coffee so she'll get out of her grumpy funk and EVA. It would be nice to save the capsule too though. 

Too bad NOMS can't be moved like experiments can from one capsule to another (I'm sure this is crazy complicated and RoverDude has already thought of that...I guy can dream though)

There used to be an EVA carry mod floating about that this could be used for.

5 hours ago, RoverDude said:

That will absolutely be doable.  Just working out the precise mechanics.

There will also be mechanics for extending hab time without having to just add more space or hab multipliers.  The angle I am working on currently makes the assumption that supplies are your bare essentials.  Sure, you can survive with a sponge bath and scraping algae off of the walls... but if you make things a bit more comfy (similar to how the U.S. Navy ensures submariners have some of the best food out there, and some private companies take similar measures for remote employees), you're going to be a bit more tolerant of the living conditions.

This has also been discussed in relation to space travel, with the idea of supporting limited amounts of things like fish, etc. - that despite being not as space efficient as scraping off algae, can have a dramatic impact on morale for a crew on a long journey.

Interesting, so I assume you're thinking of something like "Special Supplies" that would give a hab time boost when used?  Or would this be a "First-Class" Habitat that would be larger/heavier but presumably roomier inside?

1 hour ago, tjt said:

I haven't personally tried this, but DMagic has a page of smaller mods (Found Here) including EVA Resource Transfer, which claims to allow you to connect a resource transfer pipe to two vessels. This allows you to transfer resources, but unlike using a KAS pipe it doesn't actually connect the two vessels together. It's not the same as carrying supplies on a kerbal's back, but it may work.

3 hours ago, Merkov said:

I haven't personally tried this, but DMagic has a page of smaller mods (Found Here) including EVA Resource Transfer, which claims to allow you to connect a resource transfer pipe to two vessels. This allows you to transfer resources, but unlike using a KAS pipe it doesn't actually connect the two vessels together. It's not the same as carrying supplies on a kerbal's back, but it may work.

With the caveat that EVA Resource Transfer requires a part be attached to each ship - usually at build time - to work.  (A lot like a KAS pipe, without KIS.)  So, not likely to be helpful at the moment, although it might be worth looking at to be able to handle these types of issues in the future.

22 hours ago, RoverDude said:

There used to be an EVA carry mod floating about that this could be used for.

Can NOMS be transferred through docking ports? I'm trying to figure out how to use resupply ships to supply stations that can't sustain themselves.

YES, Yes they can :)  I loaded a sandbox environment and tested it. Thanks RoverDude!!

Edited by tjt

Forgive me for not digging through hundred pages of forum topics, but after hour of searching and few drinks I simply want to just launch rockets :wink:

Are Nom-O-Matics capable of creating noms in background? Kerbs are perfectly fine with eating while no one is looking so I expected farms to counter it. Am I missing something?

I made test craft, 5xNom-O-Matic5000 and single victim Kerbal, made sure it have enough power to last through night. When focused it makes plenty of noms, but in background it does nothing :(

Hey roverdude!  I was having some trouble saving some settings so i went into the persistence file and found this.  Was trying to set lack of EC to make kerbs grouchy!  it refused to save the setting for veteran kerbals!  I bolded the lines i find questionable!

LIFE_SUPPORT_CONFIG
            {
                HabMultiplier = 5
                BaseHabTime = 1
                ECAmount = 0.01
                EVAEffect = 5
                EVAEffectVets = 5
                EVATime = 21600
                HomeWorldAltitude = 25000
                NoHomeEffect = 2
                NoHomeEffectVets = 2
                NoSupplyEffect = 5
                NoSupplyEffectVets = 5
                SupplyTime = 324000
                ECTime = 324000
                ECEffectVets = 324000
                NoECEffectVets = 324000

NoECEffect = 1
                WasteAmount = 0.00075
                ReplacementPartAmount = 0
                EnableRecyclers = True
                HabRange = 150
                VetNames = Jebediah,Valentina,Bill,Bob,
            }

I'm hoping someone can help me sort out what's going wrong, because my ship's Hab values don't seem to be taking effect.

When I build a ship in the VAB, for 8 Kerbals it says I should have 11 years of Hab time.  But then when I get the ship into Orbit, the readout says only 142 days.  And even though all crew arrived at the same time, they're showing different values for Home time (some 24 years, some 6 years).

Is there a debug option of any kind where I can see exactly how it's arriving at these values?  Some way to sort out what's going on?

This ship was built using EL at a station using the UKS parts.  I've also got Infernal Robotics (to make the spinny parts spin), and KPBS using the upcoming Life Support re-balance patch which is detailed here: https://github.com/ibanix/UKS-KPBS_Compatibility/wiki/USI-LS-Compatibility-(Proposed).

Also have Near Future Propulsion (but not electrical) for the Ion engines, D-Magic Orbital Science, and Aviation Lights.  I can't imagine those have much effect though.

A (I would guess) minor request, could you add a way to disable the Habitation timer in the window that displays colony status?  I suppose in general controlling which timers show up in that window would be nice.

I don't particularly care for the habitation feature and would like to be able to trim the status window down since I don't use it.

Feel free to log a github issue, tho it will be pretty low on the list.

Also, refresh of the nom o matics (with a stock cupola for comparison)

yqwjdUB.png

The nifty bit:  All three versions will be able to be configured as multipliers, converters, or recyclers.  Assumption is that biological filters are used when in recycle mode, and when in multiplier mode they are just nice pretty places to hang out with plants and look at the stars.

Loving that 1.25m cupola! Would there be any chance of it coming as a pure-blue version in future? :)

As an aside (because the thread is huge), what had you settle on 16.2 Supplies per kerbal per day? I've been half tempted to refactor the supplies ratio (while keeping the ultimate capacities, weights, and costs in line with base balancing) so it's 1 supply per day per kerbal just to let the 'mental math' be easier - a radially mounted Supplies box is then ~6 kerbal-days worth, and you know this just by looking at it... :)

It's about half of the 32kg a human uses - 90% of that is water (including hygeine, etc.) with zero recycling.  Baseline tech is Gemini style, no recyclers are assumed until you add them in.  Yes, Kerbal time is also scaled back, but so are distances, etc. 

@Rafael acevedo When you think about it only the mass of the supplies is relevant for rocket calculations. The volume of NOMS will depend on the types of snacks provided (think chocolate bar vs packet of crisps), and as for mulch... google says "1.0 g/cm3 is accepted as the average density of human feces. Therefore, 27 L of feces weighs around 27 Kg. If you're dealing with sinkers or floaters, it'll change."

edit: after some additional searching (pretty sure the government is watching me now!) I found this document which contains actual numbers for real life space mulch! hehe my favourite line is "The bag was kneaded to rupture the inner pouch and mix the germicide with the wastes"t (so the next time Jebediah complains about tedious data collection, remind him how lucky he is!! :D )

Edited by Blasty McBlastblast

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.