[1.12.x] USI Life Support

RoverDude

Just now, RoverDude said:

Not necessary though - you can always use a claw :wink:

Not always though.  You can't actually claw some parts.  I've tried in the past when a kerbal was stuck in a part that was too small for the claw to technically "grab"

That being said, I have found even with the mod installed  I have had parts without hatches get chosen.  I just got into my persistent file and check what the part is ahead of time to be properly prepared.  Or change it in the save file to a part with a hatch.  Not a perfect solution but it works.

9 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

Which part can't you claw?  Since there are (technically) no parts too small to grab..

It has been awhile but in the past it was parts like the inflatable modules from MKS. (I believe in that case it wasn't due to the inflatable hab not having a hatch but the fact that the kerbal became a tourist).  Other parts of similar size/mass.  It seemed more because the parts were so light they would just bounce around rather than ever get a good lock and get captured by the claw.

I've pretty much been able to rescue the Kerbals using some method or another.  I just know small light parts I've never had luck capturing with the Claw.

11 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

It has been awhile but in the past it was parts like the inflatable modules from MKS. (I believe in that case it wasn't due to the inflatable hab not having a hatch but the fact that the kerbal became a tourist).  Other parts of similar size/mass.  It seemed more because the parts were so light they would just bounce around rather than ever get a good lock and get captured by the claw.

I've pretty much been able to rescue the Kerbals using some method or another.  I just know small light parts I've never had luck capturing with the Claw.

I think Rover dude totally has your back (or I think it was him that added it), I noticed a new magnet setting on the claw and managed to grapple a duna class extension piece with it! I think it was the tiny auxiliary cockpit bit but whatever it was super light and super tiny and would have been a super ball ache without it!

3 hours ago, goldenpsp said:

That being said, I have found even with the mod installed  I have had parts without hatches get chosen.  I just got into my persistent file and check what the part is ahead of time to be properly prepared.  Or change it in the save file to a part with a hatch.  Not a perfect solution but it works.

I find it more convenient to take a look in the astronaut complex under assigned kerbals.  Just scroll down until you find the name of the stranded kerb, and it will tell you the part they are in.

6 hours ago, goldenpsp said:

Not always though.  You can't actually claw some parts.  I've tried in the past when a kerbal was stuck in a part that was too small for the claw to technically "grab"

Some parts are particularly hard to grab.  Had a tourist in a deflated DERP last night that I was rescuing with an unmanned rescue ship.  Took me a good 15-20 tries to finally grab it was the claw.  

Including one try where I remembered the new magnet.  Although when I turned it on, the DERP just started orbiting/rolling around the claw head instead of latching...

So far haven't run into any parts that have seats that can't be grabbed.  Just really really hard ones.  

A flag in KSP itself for this would be the perfect solution.  Is there some place where Squad let's us submit and vote on  submissions?

3 minutes ago, mcortez said:

Some parts are particularly hard to grab.  Had a tourist in a deflated DERP last night that I was rescuing with an unmanned rescue ship.  Took me a good 15-20 tries to finally grab it was the claw.  

Including one try where I remembered the new magnet.  Although when I turned it on, the DERP just started orbiting/rolling around the claw head instead of latching...

So far haven't run into any parts that have seats that can't be grabbed.  Just really really hard ones.  

A flag in KSP itself for this would be the perfect solution.  Is there some place where Squad let's us submit and vote on  submissions?

Yes Ultimately I blame the situation on squad.  I've said this in a support thread.  In my opinion the contract system should ONLY choose stock parts by default, and there should be a config option that would allow modders to "opt in" their part.

Finally got around to playing again and updated everything. Built a station to farm science and it has plenty of Supplies (4.5k) and Habitation (a tundra ring, hitchhiker pods, ect) but my two scientists are stuck on Tourist. I even save edited them back to crew/scientist but it just reverts them as soon as I load the vessel. I tried checking the Life Support toolbar but it doesn't show anything in the window.

Mods are Mechjeb, Engineer redux, editor extensions, planet shine, SVE, Interstellar, scatterer, AmpYear/Deep Freeze, KIS/KAS, Distant Objects, a few other smaller parts mods, and all the USI mods. Any idea what my problem is?

Edited by HunterForce

@HunterForce I think AmpYear might be the problem. There are three things that will cause kerbals to become grouchy: hab time; supplies; and EC. I think I remember reading in this thread about someone who had a problem with AmpYear. If you look back through the last several pages you might find a mention of a similar problem. 

18 minutes ago, Tarheel1999 said:

@HunterForce I think AmpYear might be the problem. There are three things that will cause kerbals to become grouchy: hab time; supplies; and EC. I think I remember reading in this thread about someone who had a problem with AmpYear. If you look back through the last several pages you might find a mention of a similar problem. 

@Tarheel1999 You were right! Had to remove AmpYear and save edit them back to crew but it worked! Thank you so much! I owe you big time!

I wanted to give my ksp career a new difficulty by using this mod. However, I see that the supplies are being drained, mulch is being created but the timer stops going down after that with still 3 days and something left...

How can I make it going down further??

Thanks!

USI-LS parts no longer appear in the utilities tab but all but the Nom-O-Matic 25000-I appear in the fuel tank tab now.. Can't see any reason for this in the parts .cfg so I'm thinking it has to do with the CCK .dll.

EDIT: I see this has already been brought up, my bad.

Edited by mreadshaw

Edit: Just read about AmpYear, will try and edit back in a while.

Edit 2: Tarheel saving the day again. Deleted AmpYear and problem was solved.

I don't know if I should ask for help here or at MKS thread, but since it's related to life support, I'm coming here. :)

My kerbals are turning into Tourists after switching vessels nearby with no apparent reason.

In this example, Bill have enough EC, Supplies and Habitation/Home timer remaining, but when I switch vessel, he becomes a Tourist, but with a little difference: He can still control the whole vessel, just can't leave.

Additional note: This is a habitation/home problem, because when I disable it at KSC, this doesn't happen.

Images on spoiler:

Spoiler

Here he is ok:

eTeRV6y.png

When I change vessels, he becomes a Tourist:

p3ACCGj.png

When I get back, I can't EVA, but still can control the vessel:

8FWm7UJ.png

Any help can help :D

Edited by Crabman

Hi,

Not sure this is similar to the rescue kerbal in orbit issue, but I had a rescue mission to rescue a kerbal in EVA on Minmus surface.  The EVA countdown started when my rescue ship was still in orbit around Kerbin (according to the LS status screen), so it was way out of physics range.  Thankfully, I nerfed the EVA timeouts when I started doing rescue contracts, so he was OK when I got there. Issue?

Thanks

13 hours ago, Mr Peanut said:

Was the glitch of kerbals randomly becoming tourists (yes, even veterans) fixed? I ask this because I'm scared to lose another colony to this glitch like my last one. 

It was, in my case, a conflict with AmpYear. Deleted it and kerbals didn't turned into tourists for no reason again

how does the hab multiplier work? so far in my new save ive got two viewing cupolas. one with a hab multiplier of .5 and one with .7. i suspect that the .5 one doubles my kerbals hab duration by halving the rate at which hab is used up. is this correct? also, would this mean that two of those cupolas would quadruple hab?

Edited by Jagzeplin

23 minutes ago, Jagzeplin said:

how does the hab multiplier work? so far in my new save ive got two viewing cupolas. one with a hab multiplier of .5 and one with .7. i suspect that the .5 one doubles my kerbals hab duration by halving the rate at which hab is used up. is this correct? also, would this mean that two of those cupolas would quadruple hab?

Not quite. A 0.5 multiplier actually increases you hab timer by an extra 50% (so hab time x 1.5). 

13 minutes ago, Merkov said:

Not quite. A 0.5 multiplier actually increases you hab timer by an extra 50% (so hab time x 1.5). 

Provided that you don't exceed the crew capacity of the habitat. The cupolas have a crew capacity of 1.   And will provide a multiplier of 1.5 with one kerbal, 1.25 with two kerbals, etc.  Also two cupolas for two kerbals only provide a multiplier of 1.25 for each kerbal instead of the expected 1.5 for each. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.