[1.12.x] USI Life Support

RoverDude

I'm seeing weird behavior with Life Support's supplies calculation in the VAB for the Kerbitat. It appears the Kerbitat always gets counted as a recycler, even when it's not configured that way.

This is either a bug, or me totally failing to understand something. I've some some screenshots to demonstrate. This three-man ship shows a 1y 305d supplies endurance with the Kerbitat as a recycler, and it's indeed in recycler mode.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/106228751903491129/8FD0D7A2C1F5897A5FE2DCF1005EF4C2F9596168/

If I switch the Kerbitat to Hab-Common, it now get counted for habitation, but it's still showing up as a recycler and boost supply duration.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/106228751903491568/4899878D488438AE343F466D4498C185FBFCF3F0/

Once I get ot the pad, my actual supply endurance drops because there's no recycler and no way to turn one on.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/106228751903491801/57B6708CC3C2EF9FCD50CD069FC75C8AC650D980/

I tried this with a pure recycler, and of course that gets basically the right answer, so I think it's just the way the Kerbitat mode-switching is getting counted.

Happy to put something in github if this isn't just me missing something. Love the mod and all your good work, RoverDude.

Quick question - I'm seeing an "observation cupola" and a "viewing cupola". They have almost the same stats, and seem to be intended for the same job, but they look different. Is one of those a deprecated part, or are they just different aesthetic choices?

6 hours ago, Platonicsolid said:

I'm seeing weird behavior with Life Support's supplies calculation in the VAB for the Kerbitat. It appears the Kerbitat always gets counted as a recycler, even when it's not configured that way.

It's not just you, I'm seeing the same behavior. I think it's less game breaking than the prior problems with habitation though, so we should probably just log a GitHub issue so RD can address it in the next update. I have a feeling he might be a little burned out on USI-LS right now with all the work he's been putting in to hunt down those other bugs. 

Eh, it's not an issue at all. The parts are not broken and they don't reduce my enjoyment of the mod or the game :wink: I'm merely curious. The Viewing Cupola is the only part that still has ReplacementParts on it, which was something I thought was phased out... so I wonder if the part itself is maybe deprecated.

Not building with deprecated parts is a good idea when you want to keep a save through a few updates.

Edited by Streetwind

29 minutes ago, danielboro said:

wat do i need to edit in the save to give my ship crew extra hab time?
its a ship around duna from a 1.1.3 save moved to 1.2.1

i need to do some editing to allow them to complit the mission

Best bet is to just complete the mission in 1.1.3, get all the Kerbals back home and safe and then do the upgrade to 1.2.1.  A LOT of stuff changed with the new versions of MKS.

12 hours ago, Platonicsolid said:

This is either a bug, or me totally failing to understand something. I've some some screenshots to demonstrate. This three-man ship shows a 1y 305d supplies endurance with the Kerbitat as a recycler, and it's indeed in recycler mode.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/106228751903491129/8FD0D7A2C1F5897A5FE2DCF1005EF4C2F9596168/

If I switch the Kerbitat to Hab-Common, it now get counted for habitation, but it's still showing up as a recycler and boost supply duration.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/106228751903491568/4899878D488438AE343F466D4498C185FBFCF3F0/

Once I get ot the pad, my actual supply endurance drops because there's no recycler and no way to turn one on.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/106228751903491801/57B6708CC3C2EF9FCD50CD069FC75C8AC650D980/

I tried this with a pure recycler, and of course that gets basically the right answer, so I think it's just the way the Kerbitat mode-switching is getting counted.

Happy to put something in github if this isn't just me missing something. Love the mod and all your good work, RoverDude.

Github issue please

6 hours ago, Streetwind said:

Quick question - I'm seeing an "observation cupola" and a "viewing cupola". They have almost the same stats, and seem to be intended for the same job, but they look different. Is one of those a deprecated part, or are they just different aesthetic choices?

One has a crew slot, one is just a window.  The one with crew is a bit heavier and has slightly better stats

@tsaven in 70 days my urlom mission will go

one of the reasons i moved now is i rater limp back by hacking and chiting a duna mission that is half way finish then an urlom mission (2 week`s to redisain the ship for 1.2.1 )that can go for 20 years

id like to know wat number in the save file i need to edit to get hab bigger even writing a different start day will do

i have 5 kerbals in the duna ship 2 have 35 more days of hab and 1 y of home and 3 kerbals have 9y of home (but go tourist do to home sice) and hab is expired

i tried to edit the tourist to have the same numbers as the kerbals whit 35 days but it didnt work
i can edit tham back to work but thy go bake to tourists on load

@RoverDude can you tell me wat lines i need to look for in the savefile that diterman the start and end of hab?

thanks

2 hours ago, danielboro said:

@tsaven in 70 days my urlom mission will go

one of the reasons i moved now is i rater limp back by hacking and chiting a duna mission that is half way finish then an urlom mission (2 week`s to redisain the ship for 1.2.1 )that can go for 20 years

id like to know wat number in the save file i need to edit to get hab bigger even writing a different start day will do

i have 5 kerbals in the duna ship 2 have 35 more days of hab and 1 y of home and 3 kerbals have 9y of home (but go tourist do to home sice) and hab is expired

i tried to edit the tourist to have the same numbers as the kerbals whit 35 days but it didnt work
i can edit tham back to work but thy go bake to tourists on load

@RoverDude can you tell me wat lines i need to look for in the savefile that diterman the start and end of hab?

thanks

I'm going to assume English isn't your first language, because holy crap.

Anyway, there's no single file you can edit.  Habitation is calculated based off of many different factors from your ship, included how many crew seats there are and how many hab multipliers you have.  It's not an easy thing to change, if you tried to edit the configs for each part you might be able to fake it but then you're going to completely screw up the balance for ALL of the ships.

If you really are against simply bringing your guys home and re-launching them in a ship designed for 1.2, just disable the Habitation mechanic (or set the Habitation timer to have No Effect in the USI-LS settings menu at KSC).

31 minutes ago, tsaven said:

set the Habitation timer to have No Effect in the USI-LS settings menu at KSC

i think i tried that. and put vets (jeb is one of the affected) as unaffected

but i was thinking of editing the start time for the kerbals on the ship(it has 30 days of hab? that ok, thy only boarded the ship 10 days ago :P )

that way i can keep the game mostly on regular rules

31 minutes ago, tsaven said:

I'm going to assume English isn't your first language, because holy crap.

currect

even a spell chaker cant help me sometimes :)

Edited by danielboro

Now that the heisenbug is dead, found something interesting on the VAB Life Support status screen. (sorry...)

Was editing an existing station, adding two cupolas to increase my hab multipliers.  The two cupolas were correctly listed on the bottom section at .7 each.  In the formula line at the top of the screen, the calculated multiplier was supposed to increase 1.4 from the previous value, but only increased by a lower number, like .3.  Then, I selected a part on the station above all of the hab parts and dragged it away to add another part.  Decided not to and just reconnected it.  On reconnect, the multiplier number changed to the correct value.  It looks like dynamically adding or removing the parts does not update the status screen correctly, but forcing it to recalculate everything does.

Does this sound like the issue from many pages ago on the difference between the VAB screen and the flight screens? Sorry i dont have any useful screen shots. But if anybody sees the issue, it's easy to just disconnect and reconnect in the VAB to see if the problem goes away.

Thanks

Okay, an odd observation, and a question...

Observation: ModuleHabitation adds the crew capacity of the part it sits in to the Kerbal-Months stat display in the editor. The Hitchhiker, with 4 crew and 21 months hab time configured, shows as having 25 months. The cupola, with 1 crew and 0 months hab time configured, shows as having 1 months. This is a visual issue in the editor only. The life support calculation window properly uses only the configured hab time months, and does not add the crew capacity value.

Question: ModuleHabitation lets you configure how many Kerbals it affects. This works for the habitation multiplier. The more Kerbals are on board that exceed the configured maximum of, say, the cupola, the lower the overall ship-wide multiplier will end up. However, I'm seeing no effect for basic hab time. If I build a vessel with a probe core, a battery and a Hitchhiker, the habitation timer always ends up being exactly the same for a four-person crew... regardless of whether ModuleHabitation is set to support a crew of 4, or only a crew of 1.

Is this intended behavior, or did I find a bug?

Has anyone else experienced a bug where kerbals cease to produce mulch? I'd appreciate hearing from anyone else that has seen this happen before I start experimenting in a clean install with the most recent version of USI LS. Thanks!

Edit: Turning off all of my life support recyclers did the trick. I did not realize they had an impact on mulch production/use. I guess that makes sense.

Edited by Odonian

19 minutes ago, Odonian said:

Has anyone else experienced a bug where kerbals cease to produce mulch? I'd appreciate hearing from anyone else that has seen this happen before I start experimenting in a clean install with the most recent version of USI LS. Thanks!

They need more fiber in their N.O.M.S...

Just wanted to put this here to follow up on my complaint and say that I've figured everything out and I'm a happy space camper once again. This is the Jool-IV, seen here in life-support testing on the launchpad. She carries enough life support and living space to support her crew of 3 (1 pilot, 2 scientists) for almost 20 years. She has a dry mass of 106 tons and a wet mass of 206 tons. She can generate 9600 m/s of dV with her twin LV-N-GE 'Liberators'. Her predecessor the Jool III is very similar but on a shorter-duration mission to Duna and Ike. The Jool-IV is intended to travel to Moho and park there while it milks all the science from the planet. Major contractors include USI and Near Future Technologies for the ship, and KW Rocketry for the launcher.

WnvYtgc.png

This is the kind of complexity and awesomeness I expect from designing manned missions. What I'm saying is, thank you @RoverDude for this amazing mod and I'm once again firmly seated on the bandwagon!

EDIT:

This thing costed a million funds to launch with 5m parts from KW Rocketry :confused: but it has 12,000 m/s dV so that's cool ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Spoiler

RTBdw6j.png

Edited by ruiluth

I was wondering how yall handle habitation for your Kerbin re-entry pods.  As soon as i disconnect my 3 man pod from the main ship all of my Kerbals revolt and refuse to work because their habitation drops from a few years to zero.  Currently I am working around the problem by expanding the kerbin habitation range to 100km and putting probe cores on the ship parts that return to Kerbin.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.