[1.12.x] USI Life Support

RoverDude

46 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

You guys send a lot of Kerbals at one time :wink:

Yer well.. the tourists are very eager to get to Mun and Minmus. I also made a training station in orbit of minmus for 6 kerbals to figure out how basic life support works:

mlVaQBWm.pngOriginal size

5 years+ hab time, I think I need colony supplies up there to get it to infinite ? Also not sure if a biologist or farmer is actually boosting the supplies production, but the generation is sufficient regardless. Next step would be a base on minmus to figure out the logistics.

9 hours ago, invultri said:

Yer well.. the tourists are very eager to get to Mun and Minmus. I also made a training station in orbit of minmus for 6 kerbals to figure out how basic life support works:

mlVaQBWm.pngOriginal size

5 years+ hab time, I think I need colony supplies up there to get it to infinite ? Also not sure if a biologist or farmer is actually boosting the supplies production, but the generation is sufficient regardless. Next step would be a base on minmus to figure out the logistics.

Biologist, yes. Farmer, no. Farmers do Agriculture, which produces Organics (a precursor to Colony Supplies, which allow you to reset Habitation and Homesickness timers when consumed in a Medbay), so unless you're shipping substrate and water up to your station, they won't do much. Biologists do Agroponics and Cultivation, which produce Supplies, so they'll be helpful.

Basically, low-end supply production (basic foodstuffs) use algae farms to create N.O.M.S. High-end stuff with farmers gives Kerbals a taste of home, with real food, is how I look at it.

Edited by FirroSeranel

I'm having an odd issue where when I load the game and/or switch to a crewed vehicle with Habitation and Recycler modules, those modules are all turned off (meaning Kerbals can be on strike, or even MIA or KIA given certain settings, through no fault of my own).

Interestingly, if I switch to them, turn the modules on, then switch to another craft, even far enough away that they unload, the modules continue to function in the background. But then when I switch back to the original vessel, they're switched off again, and if I reload the game, they're likewise switched off.

Is this a known issue, or is it just me?

3 hours ago, FirroSeranel said:

I'm having an odd issue where when I load the game and/or switch to a crewed vehicle with Habitation and Recycler modules, those modules are all turned off (meaning Kerbals can be on strike, or even MIA or KIA given certain settings, through no fault of my own).

Interestingly, if I switch to them, turn the modules on, then switch to another craft, even far enough away that they unload, the modules continue to function in the background. But then when I switch back to the original vessel, they're switched off again, and if I reload the game, they're likewise switched off.

Is this a known issue, or is it just me?

Save file please.  Make sure the vessel in question is USI/Stock parts only.

16 hours ago, RoverDude said:

You guys send a lot of Kerbals at one time :wink:

I had to use a mk3 crew module plus a couple hitchhikers to get all my Kolonists to my Mun Way-station.  (23 kerbals in total) 

Although it turns out doing Minmus-Kerbol-Mun was not useful, as it seems that 3-star Kolonists are no different from 1-star Kolonists.

Used the same vessel design to take all my newly hired 2-star engineers and scientists up to the way-station for 3-star training.

I installed USI LS, PBS and feline utility rovers. I have only LS supplies/recyclers/containers from the feline utility rovers mod :(. All of the mechanics for LS are working fine, but none of the parts are in the editor. I got all 3 via ckan. Do I need to reinstall them?

Note: I have not checked on a clean save yet. I had to reinstall everything in order to upgrade from 1.2.1 to 1.2.2, so this is for my save that was started in 1.2.1.

2 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Save file please.  Make sure the vessel in question is USI/Stock parts only.

Alright, here it is. I made a fresh save to make things easier, and it's still doing it in the new save, so it's not just a corrupted save game. Though several other error messages I get all the time stopped, so I definitely need to figure out how to clean up my save... :(

Anyway, to reproduce:

1. Go to Tracking Station

2. Switch to "Test Rover"

3. Start Habitat, and Start Converter (I've already done that twice, but you're welcome to do it some more XD)

4. Return to Space Center.

5. Switch to "Test Rover"

Habitat and Converter are off again. At least, they are for me... <.<

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzmApevAhiLR2pJQnZoS2w2MHM/view?usp=sharing

9 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

Thanks - will take a look :)  There's also a possibility I already fixed this, given I have an update coming up

Well, with 160 mods, I'm not at all counting out that it's some kind of bizarre conflict. They've happened before, like Shuttle Lifting Bodies trying to activate all life support mods simultaneously, whether or not they're installed, disabling all of them... *grumbles*

Anyway, thanks!

You certainly don't have to answer this, and I know it's the wrong place, but since you're awesome and helpful and amazing... <.<

I'm getting a ton of exceptions thrown in my main save for Null objects, and pointers pointing at things that aren't objects... I've trimmed down from about 200 mods to 160 while keeping this save going. Would copy-pasting the LoaderInfo section from a clean save into my career save fix that, do you think? *is shooting in the dark*

*answered own question* It worked! Yaaay, no more irritating red messages!

Edited by FirroSeranel

Here is a weird thing.. If I rescue kerbals from the surface of the Mun they are functioning tourists (meaning I can eva them and fly them over to their snackpod to get back home). Unfortunately they remain a tourist when they are recovered, tourists that are on the regular roster.

I assume that there is no new profession "Tourist" ?

4 minutes ago, invultri said:

Here is a weird thing.. If I rescue kerbals from the surface of the Mun they are functioning tourists (meaning I can eva them and fly them over to their snackpod to get back home). Unfortunately they remain a tourist when they are recovered, tourists that are on the regular roster.

I assume that there is no new profession "Tourist" ?

Need to track this one down, as I have a couple of reports of this.  Not sure if the new release sorts it or not

New release is up!

0.5.24 - 2017.03.17
-------------------
Large recycler is now CLS Passable (Thanks mjdillon!)
Removed all references to ReplacementParts as those are not being currently used
Fixed an initialization issue that was causing some timer weirdness
Fixed an issue on colony growth - having both a male and a female kerbal present is now required (no more instant kerbals!)
Fixed an issue with refused to work / return to work spam
Fixed an issue causing the starvation timer to be set to zero on load
Supplies can be locked again!  Note that if the Kerbals are looking for a snack (even during the 15 day grace period) they WILL unlock all containers on your vessel.  Use with care.

5 hours ago, RoverDude said:

New release is up!

0.5.24 - 2017.03.17
-------------------
Large recycler is now CLS Passable (Thanks mjdillon!)
Removed all references to ReplacementParts as those are not being currently used
Fixed an initialization issue that was causing some timer weirdness
Fixed an issue on colony growth - having both a male and a female kerbal present is now required (no more instant kerbals!)
Fixed an issue with refused to work / return to work spam
Fixed an issue causing the starvation timer to be set to zero on load
Supplies can be locked again!  Note that if the Kerbals are looking for a snack (even during the 15 day grace period) they WILL unlock all containers on your vessel.  Use with care.

Yaaay! Thanks for the update, RD!

Any luck with the Habitats/Converters being off?

Seems like it was fixed, but... now I'm having an issue where when I load the same vessel, yes the Hab and Converter are on, but every other togglable USI element toggles on as well; landing gear deploys, cargo bay deploys... this is a -very- minor issue compared to the one that was fixed, which was game-breaking, so no worries if it's troublesome. It's mostly just kinda funny. :wink:

Edited by FirroSeranel

Hello, wondering if someone could clarify something for me.

I have a vessel with a mk1 command pod and a ppd-10 Hitchhiker storage container.  There are 4 kerbals on this vessel.  In the Vab it says I have 166d 5h 15m of Habitation time.  When I go to the launch pad the home/hab time is only 9d 2h.  

What am I missing??

20 hours ago, FirroSeranel said:

Yaaay! Thanks for the update, RD!

Any luck with the Habitats/Converters being off?

Seems like it was fixed, but... now I'm having an issue where when I load the same vessel, yes the Hab and Converter are on, but every other togglable USI element toggles on as well; landing gear deploys, cargo bay deploys... this is a -very- minor issue compared to the one that was fixed, which was game-breaking, so no worries if it's troublesome. It's mostly just kinda funny. :wink:

heh, log a github issue please :)

5 minutes ago, DSM20T said:

Hello, wondering if someone could clarify something for me.

I have a vessel with a mk1 command pod and a ppd-10 Hitchhiker storage container.  There are 4 kerbals on this vessel.  In the Vab it says I have 166d 5h 15m of Habitation time.  When I go to the launch pad the home/hab time is only 9d 2h.  

What am I missing??

Turn on the habitation modules.

On 3/17/2017 at 8:16 PM, FirroSeranel said:

As an update, I've noticed as well that the deployed elements are only graphically deployed. In order to retract landing legs and cargo bay doors, the "Retract" button, though it is present (along with the Deploy button at the same time, which is odd), does nothing at all. When the "Deploy" button is pressed, the animation jumps to the closed/retracted state, then deploys normally, then the Deploy button goes away, and from then on everything functions as intended. This definitely started with the update yesterday.

8 hours ago, FirroSeranel said:

Same here. Both buttons Deploy/Retract are presents. 

I mostly let my gear in and let the Moduls lay down. To prewent "unplaned orbital insertions".

After using Deploy (no seemingly reaction) Retract  (gears down) Retract  (gears up again) the Deploy Button desappers.

Edited by Urses
Selfconfusines

I plan to stat a game with a 10x rescale and SMURFF and considering the Kerbals with USI LS  are quite needy, will I need some special config for USI LS or just bring tons of supplies, hitchikees and cupola modules? Despite ways to reduce mass of supplies needed by a Kerbal I am still afraid I won't be able to go interplanetary at all in a rescaled game. Especially since my config is already strict considering lack of supplies kills them and lack of hab time causes them to become mutinous.

Edited by Antonio432

@Antonio432, you don't need a special config. Generally instead of bringing lots of supplies you'd bring enough Fertilizer and as many Nom-O-Matics as you need for your crew, for trips of more than a month or so that's usually less mass than the raw supplies you'd need instead. Also recyclers, you need one good recycler like the RT-5000 to set the recycling cap and then add small recyclers (RT-500) until supply usage doesn't go down anymore (about 1 RT-500 per crew, which is 10x lighter than spamming RT-5000).

For hab time, yes you'll need to spam hitchhikers and cupolas. Or otherwise you need another part mod that is not just compatible with USI-LS but provides the hab mechanics as well. At the moment I only know of MKS (of course) and KPBS for this:

I use MKS though so YMMV with KPBS, for instance I'm not sure if they have recyclers as well.

KPBS has a couple of recyclers - though a thorough re-balance of it's USI-LS support is in the works.  The final version should have a couple more recyclers, as well as adjusted hab-times and multipliers across the board.

7 hours ago, Antonio432 said:

I plan to stat a game with a 10x rescale and SMURFF and considering the Kerbals with USI LS  are quite needy, will I need some special config for USI LS or just bring tons of supplies, hitchikees and cupola modules? Despite ways to reduce mass of supplies needed by a Kerbal I am still afraid I won't be able to go interplanetary at all in a rescaled game. Especially since my config is already strict considering lack of supplies kills them and lack of hab time causes them to become mutinous.

MKS has a pretty wide assortment of life support parts.  And for interstellar vessels, you're not opting into the entire planet-side production chain.  You're also going to get things like medical bays, Kerbal breeding, and a few other interesting things for those long flights :wink:  It also has the tightest integration (for obvious reasons).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.