[1.12.x] USI Life Support

RoverDude

37 minutes ago, eberkain said:

So you just talked about removing mod dependencies the other day.  So are we assuming this is a built-in replacement for Deep Freeze?

More a side effect that came along for the ride for something else I was working on :)  

Ran into a little bug with the new Inventory System. My Crew got Grouchy from missing Habitation space from Travelling to a Station. Once at the Station, they become Normal again, but lost their Inventory (EVA Science pack and Jetpack).

Its fun trying to catch a free floating Kerbal with a big Stations :O

6 hours ago, Beardlongo said:

Ran into a little bug with the new Inventory System. My Crew got Grouchy from missing Habitation space from Travelling to a Station. Once at the Station, they become Normal again, but lost their Inventory (EVA Science pack and Jetpack).

Its fun trying to catch a free floating Kerbal with a big Stations :O

I'll just assume it is either a stock bug, or they got frustrated and threw their belongings out of the airlock :D

• 2 weeks later...

I use all USI stuff and I tried both USI and TAC life support. I decided to stay on TACLS but while I was on USI there was an option "Start Habitat" on modules and I think this is part of USI life support habitats make Kerbals feel comfortable etc. right?

The only reason I kept TAC because I liked the parts better, slim and more streamlined. But I didn't know about "grouchy" feature, maybe I want to torture myself and make the game even harder... 
Others who tried both? Is it better or harder?
For the moment I have 2 missions and a Satellite Station with TAC life support which I monitor for supplies. If I change to USI means I will have to make sure habitats are on? Anything else?

Edited by alphaprior

TAC LS and USI LS are not very interchangeable. 

TAC LS uses distinct supplies like Oxygen & Carbon Dioxide that will be familiar to you, while USI LS bundles everything into "Supplies", which kerbals use at a rate of ~10/day. USI LS also uses a habitation & home timer. Basically:

• The home timer indicates how long before the Kerbal wants to go home
  • The habitation timer indicates how long the Kerbal will be willing to stay on board their current base/ship for
  • Timers can go up if they move somewhere more comfortable
  • Habitats ("Start Habitat") increases the maximum habitation / home time
  • Some habitats add months to a number of kerbal's hab/home timers (e.g. add rooms for kerbals)
  • Some habitats multiply the months for a number of kerbals (i.e. multiply the effectiveness of those rooms)

That's not entirely accurate, but you can read more on habitation / home here and supplies here.

If you switch to USI LS you'll need to ensure you have "Supplies" and enough habitation (habitats) available on each ship/base/station that has Kerbals on it. They're not so easily swappable, I'm afraid. Also be aware that removing TAC LS (and it's parts) may break existing craft, and using both TAC LS and USI LS together may have unforeseen (bad) consequences. 

If you're a stickler for punishment, you can configure USI LS from the KSC to choose the severity of the consequences when Kerbals run out of supplies!

Hmm ok for the moment it's good that I use TAC LS because I have 2 long missions Eve & Duna, they are already huge ships with command modules and a lab, comforts was not an option. When they return I will have lots of tech points and will get better techs then I can move to USI life support.

13 minutes ago, Kilo60 said:

Love this Mod!

Please do an IVA for the Orca!

That Command capsule is amazing and I use it all the time!

So a few things.

The Orca isn't part of this mod.

@RoverDude hasn't been shy about his feelings on the tedious nature of IVA's and the amount of work for what you get.  So I wouldn't hold my breath.

He also loves pull requests, so if you felt the desire to learn how to make one, he'd be happy to include it.

I have started a new playthrough, and I'm having a "problem".  Electrical charge and supplies doesn't seem to be draining, once warp goes about 100x, which kinda defeats the purpose of having a life support mod.  I'm using Parallax, Scatterer, a bunch of Nertea's mods, MKS and USL LS. Any ideas what could be causing this?

EDIT: It seems to come from Nerteas Dynamic Battery Storage mod, and that its a compatibility issue.

Edited by Sokar408

I return because unlike what I said earlier, Nertea's mod does not seem to be responsible after all. Before I start tearing my install apart (again), can you @RoverDude confirm that the 0.01 electrical charge drain of single Kerbal, should continue beyond warp speed 100x?

13 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Scaling of EC consumption in timewarp for unpacked vessels is a stock thing since USI LS is basically a stock resource converter.  This is to prevent battery overrun in a single tick at high warp.

Not sure I understand. What happens for me, is that a vessel with just the starter capsule and 1 kerbal, have the EC drains 0.01 -> 0.05 -> 0.10 -> 0.5 -> 1 -> 0.01 as warp goes from 1x -> 5x -> 10x -> 50x -> 100x -> 1000x.
Notice that the EC drain basically resets to run in real time, instead of warp time, but ONLY at 1000x and above. It this desired behavior?

EDIT: Having removed all mods except USL LS this still happens. It does NOT happen with other types of EC drain however! It is only the Kerbal drain that has this weird behavior at and passed 1000x.

Edited by Sokar408

3 hours ago, Sokar408 said:

Not sure I understand. What happens for me, is that a vessel with just the starter capsule and 1 kerbal, have the EC drains 0.01 -> 0.05 -> 0.10 -> 0.5 -> 1 -> 0.01 as warp goes from 1x -> 5x -> 10x -> 50x -> 100x -> 1000x.
Notice that the EC drain basically resets to run in real time, instead of warp time, but ONLY at 1000x and above. It this desired behavior?

EDIT: Having removed all mods except USL LS this still happens. It does NOT happen with other types of EC drain however! It is only the Kerbal drain that has this weird behavior at and passed 1000x.

Yep, what you are seeing is correct behavior for a stock resource converter under warp.  You'd see the same with an ISRU or drill.

Just now, RoverDude said:

Yep, what you are seeing is correct behavior for a stock resource converter under warp.  You'd see the same with an ISRU or drill.

God damnit I have spent at least a good few hours trying to fix the stock game.  Thanks for the clarification.

• 2 weeks later...

What happens with water? I have 2 tanks with 600lt of water each and in just few days they get empty! How much water Kerbals need? It's a space station with several modules with habitat mode on. I had greenhouse to produce supplies and turned it off.

I have K&K water purifier and oxygen regenerator turned on. Also RT-500 recycling module turned off.

There were 10 Kerbals on station now 7 and 0 water!

17 minutes ago, alphaprior said:

What happens with water? I have 2 tanks with 600lt of water each and in just few days they get empty! How much water Kerbals need? It's a space station with several modules with habitat mode on. I had greenhouse to produce supplies and turned it off.

I have K&K water purifier and oxygen regenerator turned on. Also RT-500 recycling module turned off.

There were 10 Kerbals on station now 7 and 0 water!

USI-LS does not use water natively.  Sounds like your answer lies in a different mod.

Hi, I'm using the constellation pack. In the VAB LS and MKS parts aren't showing up. However, the LS, MKS, WOLF, etc. logos are still showing up in the bottom right. I'm only using Kerbal Engineer Redux and Kerbal Alarm Clock, though I've tried running the game without those mods and still had the same issue.

7 hours ago, Alectrisity said:

Hi, I'm using the constellation pack. In the VAB LS and MKS parts aren't showing up. However, the LS, MKS, WOLF, etc. logos are still showing up in the bottom right. I'm only using Kerbal Engineer Redux and Kerbal Alarm Clock, though I've tried running the game without those mods and still had the same issue.

Make sure you have Module Manager installed

47 minutes ago, Alectrisity said:

Isn't Module Manager included with the modpack? If not, where can I get it?

There was a version of the constellation out there that missed it.  Grab it from any of the regular installs or from the forums.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.