[1.12.x] USI Life Support

RoverDude

If using Rss with this mod do i need to change any values in the config file? atm i'm finding that my guys cant even make it too the moon and back without becoming a tourist (using a 1 seat landing pod). I'm also using the smurff mod maybe this changes the values for me?

Edited by Gooner

4 hours ago, Jim Starluck said:

@RoverDude ...huh. Sure enough, "Mutiny" was turned on for non-vets on Hab expiration. I don't remember setting it that way.... does the mod adjust itself dynamically based on stock difficulty settings?

No, it only sets the defaults once based on a compilation of all of the default configs.

1 hour ago, Gooner said:

If using Rss with this mod do i need to change any values in the config file? atm i'm finding that my guys cant even make it too the moon and back without becoming a tourist (using a 1 seat landing pod). I'm also using the smurff mod maybe this changes the values for me?

Add a recycler, or add in some supplies.  There are no supplies built into the pod.

1 minute ago, RoverDude said:

No, it only sets the defaults once based on a compilation of all of the default configs.

Add a recycler, or add in some supplies.  There are no supplies built into the pod.

Supplys is not the issue as i added some already but habbitation seems the issue as there is nothing i can do but add more habitation modules which is fine but just for a moon mission seems overkill, and im worried that missions further then the moon would require too much habitaion as habitation configs are set for default sized kerbal solar system?

Then add more habitation - a hitchhiker would be ideal.  I have no idea what your current travel time, Kerbal count, and vessel look like.  

Point of reference... and Apollo style mission with a Mk1-2 capsule and a Hitchhiker (to serve as the command module) and a three Kerbal crew gives me a hab time of over two years...

(Well, those are six hour days - but even with 24 hour days we're still in the 6+ month range)

Edited by RoverDude

On the other hand, doesn't three Kerbals in a 3-Kerb capsule have no more habitation time than one Kerbal in a 1-Kerb capsule?

On an Apollo style mission USI-LS will count the lander as extra space, but even so I still wouldn't be surprised if you need to either change the timers or disable the hab feature to make it work. (I don't think living space was a high priority on the real Apollo program, and NASA probably would have gone for one-man missions if they'd thought it was safe.)

It also would be warranted to sanity-check the values against what you get with a clean stock+USI-LS install, since other mods can bundle their own USI-LS configs and they could easily be overlooked.

Yep, same per Kerbal but note the addition of the Hitchhiker as the command module (I didn't even bother adding the lander).  Note that the OP was trying to do an RSS lunar mission in what is essentially a Mercury capsule.  Which makes sense.

0.4.4 - (KSP 1.1.3)
------------------
Dependency Updates
EC can now be configured independently of supplies.  For existing saves, if you see any NaNs just open your config settings in the space center scene and save.
EC stats are now displayed in flight
New parts - inline NomOMatic and radial recycler
The mini ISRU can now extract trace elements suitable for use as a fertilizer from Ore.  Note that this is a very inefficient operation.

That recycler looks really cool (says the guy who hasn't actually seen it yet, only looked at the config)! If I understand it right, it's only effective for one kerbal, but EC cost is 0.15 compared to 1 for the lab, and you get 60% efficiency! Cool!

So I wondered if I could do a duna mission mid tech. The mission will have 6 kerbals, land in all the biomes and install a satellite network whilst there. Album in the spoiler.

How do people manage the large dark times without the 2.5m battery? It seems that I really need to plaster the radial ones all over the vessel ...

Spoiler

Edited by invultri

10 hours ago, invultri said:

So I wondered if I could do a duna mission mid tech. The mission will have 6 kerbals, land in all the biomes and install a satellite network whilst there. Album in the spoiler.

How do people manage the large dark times without the 2.5m battery? It seems that I really need to plaster the radial ones all over the vessel ...

Reveal hidden contents

Interesting.  :wink:

As for your power issues: Try fuel cells, they may help.

On 6/21/2016 at 8:13 AM, cantab said:

On the other hand, doesn't three Kerbals in a 3-Kerb capsule have no more habitation time than one Kerbal in a 1-Kerb capsule?

That's logical, but not actually how it ends up working out.  There was no extra space in the Mercury capsule - one of the original seven astronauts (Glenn?) said it wasn't so much climbed into as it was "worn".  Apollo had a generous amount (for its day) of space to hold things like food, supplies, and moon rocks on the return trip.  Mercury had 1.7 cubic meters of habitable volume.  Apollo had 6.17 cubic meters (2.06 / person) and the LM had an additional 6.65 cubic meters for a total of 12.82 cubic meters. (4.27 cubic meters per person)  So on a per-person basis, Apollo had 2.5x the space and  a bit more than 8x the mission duration.

Sorry for the question couldnt find it in the initial post and u have to admit that I didnt tried to read the 109 pages of this topic....

What other Dependencies do I need for the USI Life Support? (there is something about "MKS" but since there isnt a link to that mod i have no idea what it is)

What other Dependencies are suggested to add together with USI Life Support?

Will USI Life Support be avaible on CKAN? (so far I only used mods via CKAN)

Greetings

a total Life Support noob.

Edited by Doodle

Everything is included in the download.  Just unzip it, and put the contents of 'GameData' in the 'GameData' folder below your KSP installation.  That's it :)

It will not be available via CKAN, but it's always good to know how to install mods (it's pretty simple really).

Ok. After stubling over your Wiki Page to this mod (there really should be a link to it in the first post of this thread :wink: ) I got a couple more questions :)

- With USI-LS I can not have 100% independent Life Support on Bases/Stations right?

- But If I have a Nomomatic (wich is part of USI-LS so no other mod needed) I basicly just have to send in some Fertilizer from time to time to keep the Kerbals fed right?

- Habitation? Is that feature part of this mod or not? Here in the into post in this Thread I cant find a thing about Habitation. But on the Wiki page it seems like those Habitation is part of USI-LS? (for reference I am talking about this page https://github.com/BobPalmer/USI-LS/wiki  )

Sorry for those questions... I really like the Idea of Life Support (and I like aswell the idea of those habitation values wich would force me to rotate my crew from time to time) but I try to keep my KSP as near as stock as possible (So far only using Remote Tech and Scansat as mods with new parts rest is all UI-Stuff basicly like KER, KAC and some different Contracts Mods etc.) And your MKS mod with his dozens of parts and alot of new kinds of resources is way too scary for me :wink: )

Edited by Doodle

With the new version of USI-LS you can get to 100% by converting a lot of ore into more fertilizer and using that to make supplies, so 100% self sufficiency on the ground is possible with just USI-LS, but not in space.

Habitation is a huge part of this mod, yes.

And MKS is not that scary - it doesn't bite :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.