[1.12.x] USI Life Support

RoverDude

2 minutes ago, Pthigrivi said:

Oh interesting. I almost never use the the small converter so I hadn't noticed. Not too fussed about the efficiency, I guess I'd just have expected that to be switched? It seemed more intuitive that the larger converter would have more capabilities? 

My suspicion (though you'd have to ask RoverDude to be sure) is that it is done for balancing reasons. I expect that the output of Ore is meant to be deliberately low (if only to avoid making the other methods of making fertilizer in UKS/MKS less attractive). Making the output so low may have made it difficult to justify needing the large 2.5m ISRU or something.

Then again, maybe it was done for a completely different reason. :P 

@RoverDude hi sir,

I sent you a pm regarding a question but no reply for 24 hour, then I thought this question may become useful for other people too. Here is my situation, I want to play a sand game using your life support in combination with Civilian Populations Revived the idea being to have tourist stations all over kerbal universe. Now, I was thinking of having SETI's green house mod and tweak it's config to make the colony 100% self sustained without a need to resupply stations because well, they will be very deep space ones at times. here is the QUESTION I asked and here is the response I got :

so, if it's possible for you, although it may look really out of balance, please give me information for how to tweak SETI's config section on USI life support to make it 100% recycling for 4 kerbals (his original is 50% for one kerbal) because even with this 4 kerbal 100% recycling, for a part like  Civilian Apartment Complex that can hold up to 50 kerbals and 8 crew, this would still be hard to make a nice looking space station colony and that by itself should some what balance the game. please help me to know how to tweak this config (from seti)

This is 1 crew 50% recycling, I want it to be 2 crew 100% (evene if you want, add tons of electric usage to balance it a bit more, I'm ok with it)

@PART[SETIgreenhouse1]:NEEDS[USILifeSupport,!ThunderAerospace]
{
	@description = The 2.5m SETI Greenhouse, made by famous designer zzz, contains two components, which are both suited to minimize the life support needs of one kerbal. 1. A recycler component, similar to the one of the Mobile Processing Lab, but decreasing the life support needs of one kerbal by half. 2. An agroponics module capable of using up the mulch produced by one kerbal (+10% margin).

RESOURCE
	{
		name = Mulch
		amount = 0
		maxAmount = 100
	}
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = Fertilizer
		amount = 100
		maxAmount = 100
	}	
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = Supplies
		amount = 100
		maxAmount = 100
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleLifeSupportRecycler
		CrewCapacity = 1
		RecyclePercent = .5
		ConverterName = Life Support
		tag = Life Support
		StartActionName = Start Life Support
		StopActionName = Stop Life Support

INPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			ResourceName = ElectricCharge
			Ratio = 0.4
		}
		INPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			ResourceName = ReplacementParts
			Ratio = 0.00001
		}	
	}
}

@PART[SETIgreenhouse1]:NEEDS[USILifeSupport,BackgroundProcessing,!ThunderAerospace]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleResourceConverter
		ConverterName = Agroponics
		tag = Agroponics
		StartActionName = Start Agroponics
		StopActionName = Stop Agroponics
		INPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			ResourceName = Mulch
			Ratio =  0.000825
		}
		INPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			ResourceName = Fertilizer
			Ratio =  0.00011
		}
		OUTPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			ResourceName = Supplies
			Ratio = 0.000835
			DumpExcess = False
		}
		INPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			Ratio = 6.0
		}
	}

RESOURCE
	{
		name = ElectricCharge
		amount = 3200
		maxAmount = 3200
	}
}

@PART[SETIgreenhouse1]:NEEDS[USILifeSupport,!BackgroundProcessing,!ThunderAerospace]
{
	MODULE
	{
		tag = Agroponics
		INPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			ResourceName = Mulch
			Ratio =  0.000825
		}
		INPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			Ratio =  0.00011
		}
		OUTPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			ResourceName = Supplies
			Ratio = 0.000835
			DumpExcess = False
		}
		INPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			Ratio = 1.2
		}
	}

RESOURCE
	{
		name = ElectricCharge
		amount = 1600
		maxAmount = 1600
	}
}

This is 3 crew 50%, I want it to be 4 crew 100% (even with tons more electric charge usage it would still be ok)

@PART[SETIgreenhouse3]:NEEDS[USILifeSupport,!ThunderAerospace]
{
	@description = The 3.75m SETI Greenhouse, made by famous designer zzz, contains two components, which are both suited to minimize the life support needs of three kerbals. 1. A recycler component, similar to the one of the Mobile Processing Lab, but decreasing the life support needs of three kerbals by half. 2. An agroponics module capable of using up the mulch produced by three kerbals (+10% margin).

RESOURCE
	{
		name = Mulch
		amount = 0
		maxAmount = 300
	}
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = Fertilizer
		amount = 300
		maxAmount = 300
	}	
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = Supplies
		amount = 300
		maxAmount = 300
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleLifeSupportRecycler
		CrewCapacity = 3
		RecyclePercent = .5
		ConverterName = Life Support
		tag = Life Support
		StartActionName = Start Life Support
		StopActionName = Stop Life Support

INPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			Ratio = 1.2
		}
		INPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			ResourceName = ReplacementParts
			Ratio = 0.00001
		}	
	}
}

@PART[SETIgreenhouse3]:NEEDS[USILifeSupport,BackgroundProcessing,!ThunderAerospace]
{
	MODULE
	{
		tag = Agroponics
		INPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			ResourceName = Mulch
			Ratio =  0.002475
		}
		INPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			Ratio =  0.00033
		}
		OUTPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			ResourceName = Supplies
			Ratio = 0.002505
			DumpExcess = False
		}
		INPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			Ratio = 18.0
		}
	}

RESOURCE
	{
		name = ElectricCharge
		amount = 9600
		maxAmount = 9600
	}
}

@PART[SETIgreenhouse3]:NEEDS[USILifeSupport,!BackgroundProcessing,!ThunderAerospace]
{
	MODULE
	{
		tag = Agroponics
		INPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			ResourceName = Mulch
			Ratio =  0.002475
		}
		INPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			Ratio =  0.00033
		}
		OUTPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			ResourceName = Supplies
			Ratio = 0.002505
			DumpExcess = False
		}
		INPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			Ratio = 3.6
		}
	}

RESOURCE
	{
		name = ElectricCharge
		amount = 4800
		maxAmount = 4800
	}
}

thanks

Edited by Jiraiyah

4 hours ago, Tarheel1999 said:

@Jiraiyah

Change the CrewCapacity and RecyclePercent to the desired levels in the cfg files you posted. This would seem pretty straightforward. I would not expect anyone to balance this for you or provide support if it breaks. 

Well, that was my very first thought to tweak, but the response from SETI's forum got me to ask here

On 10/5/2016 at 5:32 AM, Jiraiyah said:

@RoverDude hi sir,

I sent you a pm regarding a question but no reply for 24 hour, then I thought this question may become useful for other people too. Here is my situation, I want to play a sand game using your life support in combination with Civilian Populations Revived the idea being to have tourist stations all over kerbal universe. Now, I was thinking of having SETI's green house mod and tweak it's config to make the colony 100% self sustained without a need to resupply stations because well, they will be very deep space ones at times. here is the QUESTION I asked and here is the response I got :

I've been a bit busy the past 24 hours :P

That being said - I fundamentally disagree with 100% recycling in a package that small.  At that point, just uninstall life support.  

I have balance guidelines.  A 100% EC-based recycler for two Kerbals - no crew capacity, no resource storage... literally, just that single module... would balance at 18.7 tons, and be 90.725 M3.  (or, a 2.5 stack about 18.5 meters long).  the only reason I even include such things is for ark ships.  i.e. the new hab ring, if it were to be configured as a 100% recycler, could support up to 11 crew, but at that point would be mostly machinery and stuff to do the processing, and weigh in at a whopping 102.8 tons.  Configured as simply a greenhouse extension or hab, that particular part is about 60 tons as I recall.

5 hours ago, RoverDude said:

I've been a bit busy the past 24 hours :P

That being said - I fundamentally disagree with 100% recycling in a package that small.  At that point, just uninstall life support.  

I have balance guidelines.  A 100% EC-based recycler for two Kerbals - no crew capacity, no resource storage... literally, just that single module... would balance at 18.7 tons, and be 90.725 M3.  (or, a 2.5 stack about 18.5 meters long).  the only reason I even include such things is for ark ships.  i.e. the new hab ring, if it were to be configured as a 100% recycler, could support up to 11 crew, but at that point would be mostly machinery and stuff to do the processing, and weigh in at a whopping 102.8 tons.  Configured as simply a greenhouse extension or hab, that particular part is about 60 tons as I recall.

thanks for reply, well, actually my pack is not that small :D I just mentioned the mod i was going to tweak just for the sand box game but, tbh i have tons of mod in the list and more than just trying for a sand box game, i am going for a mod pack that I would be happy with part count and parts in the game for future game plays. anyways, as suggested above in forum, I tweaked the numbers in green house by MM patching for myself, this way the originals won't change and when ever i want to have a more serious game play i can remove that patch, also, another reason for doing this, is that i am not familiar enough with your awesome yet complex mods (and no i won't run away from full version of colonization system) so, this way i will have easier time to learn more about how your system work for later days to have a serious fun :wink:

thanks for all your awesome mods. Also, did you ever considered doing something like what buffalo rover has? a pylon that you can pin to surface of a planet and build your rover on top of it? that would make using bigger rovers much easier yet not that much immersion breaking.

oO never tried to make one of your rovers on top of them, didn't know that is possible (noob to ksp you can say :D) thanks for information

but i wonder, would the pylon have internal decoupler? because the one with buffalo has that, so the instant your rover is done you decouple it, no need to have a decoupler on the pylon or your rover at all !

Edited by Jiraiyah

6 minutes ago, Jiraiyah said:

oO never tried to make one of your rovers on top of them, didn't know that is possible (noob to ksp you can say :D) thanks for information

but i wonder, would the pylon have internal decoupler? because the one with buffalo has that, so the instant your rover is done you decouple it, no need to have a decoupler on the pylon or your rover at all !

the KAS pylon does not, but it's not hard to put a decoupler on it.

2 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

the KAS pylon does not, but it's not hard to put a decoupler on it.

I know that, but there is one problem with this idea, although again, i am not sure if this is possible or not, and that is the size of the pylon in height, what buffalo has is a pylon that is exactly the proper size for it's rover so that when you are building the rover, the wheels are close to ground but with the KAS pylons combined with other rovers, i don't know how nicely they may fit or not, also, when you use buffalo's pylon on it's rover and you release the pylon, the rover easily sits on the ground without any tweak or effort needed :(

7 minutes ago, Jiraiyah said:

I know that, but there is one problem with this idea, although again, i am not sure if this is possible or not, and that is the size of the pylon in height, what buffalo has is a pylon that is exactly the proper size for it's rover so that when you are building the rover, the wheels are close to ground but with the KAS pylons combined with other rovers, i don't know how nicely they may fit or not, also, when you use buffalo's pylon on it's rover and you release the pylon, the rover easily sits on the ground without any tweak or effort needed :(

Then go try?  Or use the buffalo part.  Either way given this is the LS thread we aren't even in the right place to discuss it.

I really like this mod!

Like Regolith originally and the stock resource system now are universal resource systems that allow others to build and expand upon, this could be the universal life support system, which offers easy configurability for players and mod makers alike.

Would it be possible to adjust the code so that instead of the required and produced resources being hard-coded, it would get the resource names, amounts, effects and time before effects occur from the config file? So it could be set to Supplies-in, Mulch-out as in USI-LS, or [Food, Water, Oxygen]-in, [Waste, Carbon Dioxide]-out as in TAC-LS.

Hi all, I have a mission where I have to rescue a man orbiting inside a deployable emergency shelter. I went there and Jebe activate the emergengy shelter but at the moment I am stucked: I think that I should do an EVA with the man to rescue and "jump" to my ship but, as he stay for a long time without eat something he can not perform any action. So my question is, there is a method to bring food to that man?

2 hours ago, Ginlucks said:

Hi all, I have a mission where I have to rescue a man orbiting inside a deployable emergency shelter. I went there and Jebe activate the emergengy shelter but at the moment I am stucked: I think that I should do an EVA with the man to rescue and "jump" to my ship but, as he stay for a long time without eat something he can not perform any action. So my question is, there is a method to bring food to that man?

Does that ship or what ever the kerbal is in has a docking port? if not, then it would be really hard, I don't know if there is a way to eva transport food (like what we can do with eva fuel transfer mod) or not, if there is a solution like that, then yes, if there is no solution like that and the ship has no docking port, then no, that man won't be able to recieve food to feed him and make him responsive.

another solution at that point would be to tweak docking port part in configs and using KAS, doing EVA by jeb and attaching a docking port to the second ship, dock jeb's ship and then use it's food supply to feed the guy.

@RoverDude mentioned medical facilities and I thought about USI-LS' implementation of mental health (i.e. homesickness). Would it be worthwhile/easy enough to make this thing a bit less predictable? I think it would be more fun and more realistic if you didn't have all of your kerbals simultaneously going nuts after N days in space. It may be a random event with mean time to happen dependent on a kerbal's courage (as proxy for self-control). If such random accidents are hard to code or against mod's philosophy, it can still be calculated for each kerbal individually.

Imagine having a ship or a station that's been in space for too long and the astronauts are going crazy one after another! Sounds like a plot for a space drama to me.

7 hours ago, Jiraiyah said:

Does that ship or what ever the kerbal is in has a docking port? if not, then it would be really hard, I don't know if there is a way to eva transport food (like what we can do with eva fuel transfer mod) or not, if there is a solution like that, then yes, if there is no solution like that and the ship has no docking port, then no, that man won't be able to recieve food to feed him and make him responsive.

another solution at that point would be to tweak docking port part in configs and using KAS, doing EVA by jeb and attaching a docking port to the second ship, dock jeb's ship and then use it's food supply to feed the guy.

No it has not a docking port. It have just a squared entrance .

4 hours ago, mcortez said:

You can also use The Klaw to dock with it.  

I am sorry, what is the claw?

I could also disable the mod for a while...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.