[1.12.x] USI Life Support

RoverDude

Apologies if this is a dumb question but I'm just starting out with USI-LS.

I have a small ship (Mk 1-3 Command Pod + Hitchhiker) crewed by Jeb and Bill. They carried some spare parts to my first space station, and took on some supplies (several of the small 100 NOMS packs stored in the inventory in both the Pod and Hitchhiker) brought up by a second vessel. 

Jeb and Bill then undocked and the life support screen said that they were starving - counting down with 14 days to go. Why can't they access the supply packs?

Likewise, the life support screen for the station only seems to recognise the 300 supplies in the cupola command pod but not the 1000 or so supplies scattered around the station in inventory. 

Have I made some basic design mistake here?

36 minutes ago, Grimmas said:

Wild guess but it sounds like you put some of those paks in the inventory slots. That's not how they are used. They are regular part items (like decouplers or heat shields) that you need to attach to your ship and fill with supplies.

So I'd need to bring up umpteen bracket things and fit them with KIS? Oh joy! 

It does seem a bit counter-intuitive that a Kerbal can be sitting next to a container of supplies inside his ship and starve - but when the container is bolted onto the outside of his ship he can eat them...

Well, no. Even if you bolt them on using KIS/KAS or the stock EVA constructions system you still won't get any supplies - just the empty containers, that you will then need to fill with supplies. 

To put it another way, what you brought with you are not supplies but empty cartons. They won't magically turn into supplies. even if you inflate them.

8 hours ago, Grimmas said:

Well, no. Even if you bolt them on using KIS/KAS or the stock EVA constructions system you still won't get any supplies - just the empty containers, that you will then need to fill with supplies. 

To put it another way, what you brought with you are not supplies but empty cartons. They won't magically turn into supplies. even if you inflate them.

Even better! :D Thanks for the explanation.

I wasn't having a good evening last night as, once Jeb and Bill rendezvoused with the broken satellite, the spare parts showing in the "normal" inventory weren't appearing in the "KIS inventory"  so I couldn't see any way to repair the satellite. For a mission intended to complete multiple contracts to fund an upgrade of the R&D it's turned into an expensive failure....At least I got to practice rendezvous and docking...

Is there plans to allow the making of Glykerol in lifesupport for the  freezer pods?   Currently, the only way to get it is to add it in the build area.

In some playthrough testing, once I am out in the black, unless I stored extra Glykerol, I am out of freeze juice with no way to make more.

I have been playing around with cfgs and can have it working in Wolf, and using MKS items - (checking for USI-LS of course) - can add a PRR to Github :)

36 minutes ago, RookFett said:

Is there plans to allow the making of Glykerol in lifesupport for the  freezer pods?   Currently, the only way to get it is to add it in the build area.

In some playthrough testing, once I am out in the black, unless I stored extra Glykerol, I am out of freeze juice with no way to make more.

I have been playing around with cfgs and can have it working in Wolf, and using MKS items - (checking for USI-LS of course) - can add a PRR to Github :)

Hello,

I create a my own solution for this problem with this patch:

Copy the content of, this zip to gamedata directory:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/33ku5gqmutdzkt8/pmborg-multi-ISRU.zip?dl=1

Then let me know if you like it!

laOv53H.png

Edited by pmborg

On 11/12/2021 at 4:18 PM, pmborg said:

Hello,

I create a my own solution for this problem with this patch:

Copy the content of, this zip to gamedata directory:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/33ku5gqmutdzkt8/pmborg-multi-ISRU.zip?dl=1

Then let me know if you like it!

laOv53H.png

Looks good - but I was leaning more into using raw materials => Chemicals => Glykerol.

Trying to keep it in the Wolf Realm of resources.

But your example has given me some ideas  - thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I saw a mention of USI-LS having a "Deepfreeze" type of mechanic now.  Is this true?  I do not seem to see any part like this in my parts list.  Granted I have not done extensive testing and research into this yet, as I am not even sure if it is true.  I did not see it on an official posting by @RoverDude it was posted elsewhere.  If this is the case however that would be nice to be able to remove that mod from my install and simplify things a bit more.  

Can anybody point me to an official post, or users guide, that talks about this if it is indeed part of USI-LS?

19 minutes ago, Bit Fiddler said:

I saw a mention of USI-LS having a "Deepfreeze" type of mechanic now.  Is this true?  I do not seem to see any part like this in my parts list.  Granted I have not done extensive testing and research into this yet, as I am not even sure if it is true.  I did not see it on an official posting by @RoverDude it was posted elsewhere.  If this is the case however that would be nice to be able to remove that mod from my install and simplify things a bit more.  

Can anybody point me to an official post, or users guide, that talks about this if it is indeed part of USI-LS?

Yep - it's in the bleeding edge version - which is very stable despite the name ;)

https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/USI-LS/releases

Just now, AtomicTech said:

What would a command pod patch need to be compatable with USI-LS?

Command pods are automatically compatible.  If you want anything other than the basic crew space bonus that all parts with ModuleCommand get, you can look at the other stock patches included with the mod.

5 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

Command pods are automatically compatible.  If you want anything other than the basic crew space bonus that all parts with ModuleCommand get, you can look at the other stock patches included with the mod.

Thanks!

I'm working on a USI-LS patch for Taerobee right now, so your help is greatly appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,  so I tried to read documentation on this mod wherever I could find it but I still have some questions for you all:

1)I tested out some hab parts and my 2-star Jeb had infinite hab but my 2-star Bill had 6 years.   Both 2 star rank, both veteran Kerbals.  Why did Bill have less hab time?

2)When it says the small recycler supports 1 Kerbal,  is that literally one Kerbal or does it spread/average out the effect to all Kerbals aboard?  

3)Do I need to land all my USI vehicles and dock them together or is there a proximity effect with the life support?

Edited by mcbmaestro

1 hour ago, mcbmaestro said:

1)I tested out some hab parts and my 2-star Jeb had infinite hab but my 2-star Bill had 6 years.   Both 2 star rank, both veteran Kerbals.  Why did Bill have less hab time?

Pilots are a little special and get infinite hab earlier than the others (50 years??).  I've forgotten the limit.

2)When it says the small recycler supports 1 Kerbal,  is that literally one Kerbal or does it spread/average out the effect to all Kerbals aboard? 

The quoted recycler reduction applies to the number of Kerbals listed.  After that number, extra Kerbals do not receive the benefit.  Add more or more powerful recyclers.

3)Do I need to land all my USI vehicles and dock them together or is there a proximity effect with the life support?

You don't need to dock them most of the time, but I'm unsure about this - does life support work on the 'nearby' principle?   Someone else needs to answer this one.

15 hours ago, modus said:

Depends on what you call life support, for supplies you can be nearby and use logistics, for the hab stuff you have to be connected.

Well I just did a test.  I had a vehicle with supplies drive up to a vehicle with hab parts.   At about 150m distance and lower,  they both received the hab benefit but not the supply benefit.

And you said I need logistics?  What is the logistics aspect exactly?  A logistic module or something?

I found this explaining things but I'm still really struggling with it all.   I just want to make sure my first science lab can get supplies if it runs out.

9i13qGgkosRSS8C-9bqoc7rIWqPBuBR4IGliiGKk

Edited by mcbmaestro

Ok, wait a minute am I entirely missing another mod here?   Do I need the MKS Kolonization mod in order to transfer supplies?   What if I just want to transfer the supplies with just USI Life Support?  Then it has to be done manually?

Edited by mcbmaestro

13 hours ago, mcbmaestro said:

Ok, wait a minute am I entirely missing another mod here?   Do I need the MKS Kolonization mod in order to transfer supplies?   What if I just want to transfer the supplies with just USI Life Support?  Then it has to be done manually?

Correct.  All the Logistics stuff is in MKS.  If you're using Life Support on its own you will need to transfer the physical life support resources the same way as any resource in a stock game (e.g. ore).  Without MKS, only the "habitation" mechanic shares magically between craft in close proximity.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.