[1.12.x] USI Life Support

RoverDude

GitHub Issue logged already.

Just a note here in case anyone else may be looking into a similar problem.

I must preface the following by saying that I am doing a career game play through here with lots of installed mods and not a full bee shake-out testing so if the "bug" I encountered is not the fault of USI-LS I apologise for possibly posting in the wrong place.

With CTT in career mode I learned Storage Technology - Logistics - Short Term Habitation. Thereby bypassed Recycling and Hydroponics. I got a very unstable game with lots of USI-LS named NREs in the logs and frequent lockups at scene changes. I had trouble accepting it as possible to be really due to this mod due to a long record of trust worthy performance from all RoverDude products! I tried uninstalling other mods but the problem did not go away. Eventually, I realised a possibly unusual career development path had been followed and so proceeded to learn both early tree techs which open the Nom-O-Matic units.

So far this appears to have fixed the problem!

If this information helps anyone else then good. Otherwise, until someone can reproduce (sorry, my bad, I did not save a useful log file) it is not a "bug" but something that perhaps warrants investigation. Or maybe CTT could be adjusted to make the path I followed unavailable (i.e. add a requires all in place of requires any?)

Edit: One day later and I am not so sure that this is not perhaps a case of general out of memory issues.

Edited by Kaa253
More information at hand

Not directly related, but thought You might know: when my ModuleResourceConverter overheats, and the reading in menu says that efficiency is not 100% anymore, Fusebox still says 100% (the part produces ElectricCharge). Is this known issue?

For the record, the part produces 100 of resource and only has place for 100% of input resource per tick, and 100 of output resource per tick (that is, literally 100, and literally 100 per tick). I have DumpExcess = true (unsure what it does) but I do not have FillAmount (also unsure what it does)

I got myself a stopwatch and timed it by hand, and it turned out that it's just Fusebox deficiency - in fact, resource-wise, ISRU works good. Sorry for the noise.

Edited by cipherpunks

I'm trying to calculate the usefulness of Nom-O-Matic 25k and Fertilizer. Do i guess right thats it changes rates dynamically to support up to 10 Kerbals, while the little one

support only 1?

Please confirm:

1 Kerbal = 1,08 Supplies/Day

1 Kerbal + Nom-O-Matic (Greenhouse)= 0,54 Supplies/Day

1 Kerbal + Nom-O-Matic (Greenhouse+Agroponics)= 0,27 Supplies/Day + 0,27 Fertilizer/Day

Edited by Tahib

just had a quick thought, if you've got tourists onboard and you right out of life supplies, it should fail the contract attached to that tourist.

If you have death activated, the tourist should die, right?

The source for USI-LS seems to have issues, I noticed ULS-LS wasn't working correctly after modifying and compiling it. It fails silently and the noms icon appears only once you get to Gamescene.Flight (where it doesn't find kerbals).

The source on GitHub seems damaged, it is written slightly differently to the release version but is missing something, probably something small like a hook.

I tried finding what exactly was missing, but in the end the only source that worked properly was a decompiled version. I tried both the Github and direct source download provided.

Would be cool if running out of electricity killed kerbals... As it is now, when the power runs out, the kerbals just stop eating and stay alive forever. Strange.
No it wouldn't. If you want that, go back to TAC life support.

Yeah I consider that a cornerstone of the mod. Another is that if you want, it's one resource to manage and that's it. You can choose to utilize the other resources if you see fit, but don't NEED to and they all loop back to the core resource. Changing either of these would ruin the mod for me.

Would be cool if running out of electricity killed kerbals... As it is now, when the power runs out, the kerbals just stop eating and stay alive forever. Strange.

There's a flag you can change to kill Kerbals, but as noted, the very cornerstone of the mod is that it's non-lethal. That will always be the default option.

There's a flag you can change to kill Kerbals, but as noted, the very cornerstone of the mod is that it's non-lethal. That will always be the default option.

While you obviously have the final say on what this mod is and isn't, what attracted me most to USI-LS isn't that it is non-lethal, but that it has a single LS resource. I dislike how cluttered the resource panel gets with TAC, and all of the parts it adds. Snacks had that odd random consumption mechanic. And while Interstellar Flight LS used a single resource, it wasn't supported by other mods.

USI-LS with the lethal option enabled is exactly what I wanted in a LS mod; lethal, single resource, and compatibility with MKS/OKS.

That's also why you're awesome, RoverDude.

I second yardpup01. USI LS fits just right in. Simple enough, complex enough. Nice (Nice!) parts and GUI. And the ability to choose how hardcore you want to play with it is the best. Here's some love, Rover. :)

Hi. This looks great and I would like to give it a try, along with the kolonization mod.

However each time I install one or the other my solar panels stop producing.

Am I doing something wrong or missing something?

KSP_USI_EC.jpg

It happens for every single type of solar panels.

Usual deal. Screenshot of gamedata, and what operating system and ksp version (64 or 32 bit)

Thanks for your reply. I made some more test in the meantime and found out that by removing kopernicus it works again.

My KSP is 1.0.4.861 in 32 bits on windows 8.1 64bits

KSP_USI_EC2.jpg

Edit: Just found out that removing outer planet mod was fixing the issue too. I can keep Kopernicus and transkeptunian and still get energy flow.

Edited by Nookos

Kopernicus dev build fixes the solar panels issue :)

Indeed thanks. It works with kopernicus and it was working before I installed USI life support. But I still have troubles when OPM and USI LS are installed. So far it seems between these two.

Ok sorry for all the posts. I updated OPM and now it seems they work fine together.

OPM just adds planets, weird that it conflicts with LS

I surely agree it was weird. And I have absolutely no idea what was going on. Probably my outdated OPM was using outdated Kopernicus stuff which was not interacting well with USI LS... no clue if that is even possible, only guessing.

Edit: Actually it doesn t work anymore. I don't get it. Earlier it did. I relaunched the game and now there is no more energy flow in those solar panels again. This is so weird...

Edited by Nookos

@Nookos: Logs may be of help as well. They're usually found at Kerbal Space Program\KSP_Data\Output_log.txt.

Thanks. I started a new install from scratch and made sure everything was up to date. Problem solved.

Great work! I have one suggestion though, more roleplay-ish. I like the idea that Kerbal don't die by default (indeed I've done goofed and still do sometimes) and the idea of them going on a strike is funny.

I like to pretend that, instead of refusing to work, the advanced kerbal technology has devised an "hibernation" mode. Whenever they run out of the time they will allow themeselves to be hungry, they sit down and put themselves on stasis (with 0 consumption) for an indeterminate amount of time, programming the Pod to "wake" them up as soon as supplies are there.

I think it fits better the idea of life support. I know it's totally irrelevant and there's no need to change anything, but just pitching my idea.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.