Jump to content

[1.11.x] USI Life Support


RoverDude
 Share

Recommended Posts

I think I may have found a new bug:

All the new tanks provided in this mod, don't have their corresponding resources, it's no that they aren't filled, the resources are non-existent....

Also where it would normally say Rmb for more info, instead it says no more info.

Another thing:

Are any other mods required for this mod to function correctly.

My Mod list(all on ksp 1.1):

1)Planetary base mods

2)USI-ls

3)Kerbal engineer

4)dock-alignment indicator

5)Kerbal Alarm clock

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I recently installed this mod. Last night, I sent a manned mission to Minmus for orbital scanning/mapping and landing/exploration. While I was scanning the surface from high orbit, my grace period ran out - and I then realized forgot to add supply containers. This was suprising because I had two orange-suited kerbals (Val and Bob) and a tourist on board. At first, I thought it was a glitch, but I found out from this thread that a more recent update defaulted the veterans to get "grouchy" and refuse to work by default. I adjusted the config file and restarted the game, but I guess it was too late at that point, so I decided to "play it as it lies". This turned out to be the much more fun option....

The engineers at the Kerbin Space Center frantically put together an emergency probe to launch with a docking port that attaches to a small module consisting of 2 small supply canisters attached to a Science Jr, along with a couple extra goo canisters. and a docking port on each and for easy transfer and re-use. This was because the stuffed shirts up in Administration figured they might as well squeeze some more science out of it while they were at it.

Launch and rendezvous went without incident. I was only when it was time to begin the docking procedures that something was realized that caused the entirety of Kerbin to sigh and shake their heads -  Val's ship has a shielded docking port, and the hungry Kerbals were refusing to open it to allow their supply probe to dock. And so, they were still dead in space.

Meanwhile, back at the KSC, the R&D department had just finished processing the Science data transmitted just before the Kerbals on the Minmus mission went on strike. From this, they barely managed to gain enough science data to create a new technological breakthrough - the KLAW! Quickly, the prototype was rushed to the VAB and retrofitted onto an identical ship as the Minmus exploration vessel currently adrift in orbit. They also had the foresight to add a 2.5m supply canister this time, too. 

With Jeb at the helm, the ship launched successfully, and, after a few misaligned attempts at grabbing the stranded vessel (causing it to tumble away a little, making the entire process that much more difficult), eventually was able to latch on. Val and her crew were able to finally have some snacks and perform the arduous task of flipping the switch that opens the docking port shield on the front of the command module. After that, the probe was able to deliver the supplies and science module without further incident, as well as transfer some fuel to top off the tanks in both ships as well. Once Jeb released the Klaw from Val's ship, both ships were ready to continue the mission - and a good thing too, because the space program was very nearly in the red after two unplanned emergency launches for this one mission. Luckily, we now have two ships in orbit around Minmus, ready to make multiple biome landings, which should help make up the budget overextension.

In the words of S.R. Hadden from Contact: First rule of government spending: why build one when you can build two at twice the price?

However, in an uncharacteristic display of fiscal responsibility from the Kerbal Space Administration, It was also decided that Val and her crew would NOT be receiving overtime pay for the unplanned extension of their mission time.

I love this game, and I love this mod. Thanks, @RoverDude !

 

Next up - Duna! And on that note, how do you guys plan for long missions? I don't know of any easy way in-game to account for travel time to other planetary systems, particularly when that means waiting for a return window.

Edited by Tandoori
Edited for clarity and to fix grammatical errors.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I installed this mod today, and it doesn't seem to be working. My status window is blank (I have a ongoing flight with 5 kerbals) and my kerbals aren't consuming/producing anything. 

Mods List:

SpaceY-Expanded & Lifters
Planetary Base Inc
RLA_Stockalike
Kerbal Alarm Clock
Kerbal Engineer
Fuel Tank Plus
DMagicOrbitalScience
KIS/KAS
Docking Port Alignment Indicator

Thanks!

Edited by RailgunSpoon
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Whoops I skipped that one.

The last entry in the changelog for CRP is 

0.5.0 - 2016.03.29
------------------
Compatibility with KSP 1.1
Lowered cost of Supplies, Mulch and Fertilizer

Using AVC:

KSP: 1.1 (Win32) - Unity: 5.2.4f1 - OS: Windows 10  (10.0.0) 64bit
USI Tools - 0.7.1
Community Resource Pack - 0.5
DMagic Orbital Science - 1.2.3
Fuel Tanks Plus - 1.8.1
Kerbal Attachment System - 0.5.6.7
Kerbal Engineer Redux - 1.1.0.2
Kerbal Inventory System - 1.2.7.6
KSP-AVC Plugin - 1.1.6.1
Docking Port Alignment Indicator - 6.3
Kerbal Planetary Base Systems - 1.0.8
SpaceY Expanded - 1.1.8
SpaceY Lifters - 1.12.2
Kerbal Alarm Clock - 3.6.1
USI-LS - 0.4.2

Edited by RailgunSpoon
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tandoori said:

Next up - Duna! And on that note, how do you guys plan for long missions? I don't know of any easy way in-game to account for travel time to other planetary systems, particularly when that means waiting for a return window.

Once you start dealing with interplanetary missions, the game takes on a whole new level of planning.  For one, you'll want to get an efficient LS recycler on board (science lab!).  In terms of actual planning, probably the best way is to use a combination of:

Kerbal Alarm Clock

AND Transfer Window Planner 

AND some scribbled notes on your desk that you hopefully don't recycle on accident! Oh and you'll also want to pick up Precise Node if you haven't already.  

So to be clear; to plan for your duna mission, you can use transfer window planner to calculate both the time of your departure and your return. That way you can get a good estimate of how much time Jeb and friends will be away from home. Then give yourself some wiggle room, because there is always the chance you'll have to play it as it lies... 

and it looks like transfer window planner isn't quite 1.1 compatible, but hopefully soon!

 

Edited by Businfu
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Tandoori said:

And on that note, how do you guys plan for long missions? I don't know of any easy way in-game to account for travel time to other planetary systems, particularly when that means waiting for a return window.

Just adding to what @Businfu had to say, as far as estimating Supply requirements goes... I'll use Transfer Window Planner to find the next transfer window that works. It will tell you how long that journey takes. Then you've got to determine how long they'll be there. Leaving the next available window or staying for a few? Go ahead and use Transfer Window Planner to choose a return transfer window. Make sure it doesn't have you leaving before you arrive in the first place! :) So now you've got a set of two departure and arrival times. Add up the two trip durations and the time in between trips to estimate for Supplies. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not sure if it's a bug but all resource usage/creation is not calculated when at the two highest warp speeds. I just spent hours planning a Duna mission and calculating all the supplies and such that I would need only to discover that while warping during the 293 day transfer, no supplies were used. Once I stopped warping, everything immediately began to go back to how it normally works. Is this intended or what? Seems like a very easy way to get around the difficulty of long distance missions.

Edited by Andrew2448
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Rover, I've decided to switch from TAC to USI because I like some of the features when combining with UKS. I've pumped the difficulty to the max, I like my kerbals dying from lack of resources (not habitation tho... they just go on strike, hehe). However, I have a few issues:

1. I don't see electrical charge being used by manned pods, and this is a feature I sorely miss from TAC. Would it be possible to add this as well? From what I see in the Settings.cfg file, there already is a ECAmount = 0.01  variable, but it doesn't seem to work, my electrical charge always remains the same, plus there is no indication of "time to die", which I would expect to be different from the normal supplies timer. Yes I could add a constant electric charge usage by myself to all pods, but the kerbals still won't die from the lack of it. Or maybe I'm missing something?

2. In the Life Support Window, after supplies/EC runs out would it be possible to change the timer indication to "time remaining until effect"?

3. Habitation wasn't doing anything until I changed the Settings.cfg file. Took me a while to realize why my habitation time was infinite. Would it be too much trouble to ask for an ingame menu instead of the cfg file? Remotetech just did that and it's so useful to be able to change settings in the game, plus new players looking for the habitation effect won't need to search for why it doesn't work :wink:

4. In the same file, the "HabMultiplier = 5 //Bonus to hab values (1 = default = 100% of the part's rated value)" line is by default, so does that mean by default we are working at 500%?

5. I'm about to go to the UKS page to post a suggestion there as well, but it affects USI too, so here it goes: These two mods combined use too many buttons in the stock toolbar. Maybe just add one window and a few tabs for the various features?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It seems like this mod is really having serious problems operating in this version of KSP. I never had a single issue with it the first time I downloaded and used it in 1.0.5 but now in 1.1 It simply refuses to work regardless of how or where I download it from... install it. or what other mods I do or don't have along side it.

The Life-support UI is always completely blank. No numbers and no functions.. All the resource tanks show their content and can be placed on a ship but are never used throughout the mission. Community resource pack doesn't fix it. Firespitter doesn't fix it. Module manager doesn't fix it. Making it the only mod in the the list doesn't fix it. I've tried many other things and I am completely out of ideas. 

Please tell me its not just me having these problems?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, FletcherDragon said:

It seems like this mod is really having serious problems operating in this version of KSP. I never had a single issue with it the first time I downloaded and used it in 1.0.5 but now in 1.1 It simply refuses to work regardless of how or where I download it from... install it. or what other mods I do or don't have along side it.

The Life-support UI is always completely blank. No numbers and no functions.. All the resource tanks show their content and can be placed on a ship but are never used throughout the mission. Community resource pack doesn't fix it. Firespitter doesn't fix it. Module manager doesn't fix it. Making it the only mod in the the list doesn't fix it. I've tried many other things and I am completely out of ideas. 

Please tell me its not just me having these problems?

I would surmise that the last  many pages of posts would easily show you are in the minority.

That being said since 1.1.2 just released there could be new issues with that.  There are indications that a newer modulmanager could be needed. That being said you were light on details of exactly what version you are running.

Edited by goldenpsp
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, karamazovnew said:

Would it be too much trouble to ask for an ingame menu instead of the cfg file?

 

8 hours ago, karamazovnew said:

These two mods combined use too many buttons in the stock toolbar. Maybe just add one window and a few tabs for the various features?

I vote in favor of these!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When using earth-time (24hour, specifically in RSS), LifeSupport Status shows:
  "Earth/Orbiting - #1 supplies (#2/day) hab for indefinite"
But the supply time seems to get calculated based on the standard KSP day?  Specifically #1/#2 != total time.

With my personal settings example shown:

 screenshot0.png

 

8967 / 6.5/day = 1379.53 days
 

Which is NOT 345 days!  But, 1376.53/4 = 344.88 days

Since a kerbal day is 1/4 a normal day I suspect there is some relation there.  So either the total time is wrong, or the supplies per day (6.5 in this case, settings at SupplyAmount = 0.00015) is wrong.  One of them should be 4X more.

 

 

Edited by drazed
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/29/2016 at 6:49 PM, Andrew2448 said:

I'm not sure if it's a bug but all resource usage/creation is not calculated when at the two highest warp speeds. I just spent hours planning a Duna mission and calculating all the supplies and such that I would need only to discover that while warping during the 293 day transfer, no supplies were used. Once I stopped warping, everything immediately began to go back to how it normally works. Is this intended or what? Seems like a very easy way to get around the difficulty of long distance missions.

More specificity please.  Resources should absolutely be used during warp...  What does the UI show?

17 hours ago, karamazovnew said:

Hi Rover, I've decided to switch from TAC to USI because I like some of the features when combining with UKS. I've pumped the difficulty to the max, I like my kerbals dying from lack of resources (not habitation tho... they just go on strike, hehe). However, I have a few issues:

1. I don't see electrical charge being used by manned pods, and this is a feature I sorely miss from TAC. Would it be possible to add this as well? From what I see in the Settings.cfg file, there already is a ECAmount = 0.01  variable, but it doesn't seem to work, my electrical charge always remains the same, plus there is no indication of "time to die", which I would expect to be different from the normal supplies timer. Yes I could add a constant electric charge usage by myself to all pods, but the kerbals still won't die from the lack of it. Or maybe I'm missing something?

2. In the Life Support Window, after supplies/EC runs out would it be possible to change the timer indication to "time remaining until effect"?

3. Habitation wasn't doing anything until I changed the Settings.cfg file. Took me a while to realize why my habitation time was infinite. Would it be too much trouble to ask for an ingame menu instead of the cfg file? Remotetech just did that and it's so useful to be able to change settings in the game, plus new players looking for the habitation effect won't need to search for why it doesn't work :wink:

4. In the same file, the "HabMultiplier = 5 //Bonus to hab values (1 = default = 100% of the part's rated value)" line is by default, so does that mean by default we are working at 500%?

5. I'm about to go to the UKS page to post a suggestion there as well, but it affects USI too, so here it goes: These two mods combined use too many buttons in the stock toolbar. Maybe just add one window and a few tabs for the various features?

1.  You're missing something :wink:  EC is on the same timer.  That being said, it should be going down.

2.  I don't understand, more specificity please.

3.  Sure, log a github issue.

4.  Yes, it's a lot gentler by default until you install something like UKS, etc. that have more hab parts.

5.  Log an issue, but new UI work is a low priority at the moment - lots of fish to fry

12 hours ago, invultri said:

More doodling after dealing with some terrible mistakes:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ewlbEVwGbxUke23M84C7ZUU5vieG7yIFLovNLY5hz-o/edit?usp=sharing

Now to verify the mass of stuff in game as well, making the curves visible helps a lot with the overall planning of the supplies!

Nice - let me know if you have any issues

9 hours ago, FletcherDragon said:

It seems like this mod is really having serious problems operating in this version of KSP. I never had a single issue with it the first time I downloaded and used it in 1.0.5 but now in 1.1 It simply refuses to work regardless of how or where I download it from... install it. or what other mods I do or don't have along side it.

The Life-support UI is always completely blank. No numbers and no functions.. All the resource tanks show their content and can be placed on a ship but are never used throughout the mission. Community resource pack doesn't fix it. Firespitter doesn't fix it. Module manager doesn't fix it. Making it the only mod in the the list doesn't fix it. I've tried many other things and I am completely out of ideas. 

Please tell me its not just me having these problems?

It's just you :wink:  More details please, also be sure to use the 1.1.2 version on KSP 1.1.2

1 hour ago, drazed said:

When using earth-time (24hour, specifically in RSS), LifeSupport Status shows:
  "Earth/Orbiting - #1 supplies (#2/day) hab for indefinite"
But the supply time seems to get calculated based on the standard KSP day?  Specifically #1/#2 != total time.

With my personal settings example shown:

 screenshot0.png

 

8967 / 6.5/day = 1379.53 days
 

Which is NOT 345 days!  But, 1376.53/4 = 344.88 days

Since a kerbal day is 1/4 a normal day I suspect there is some relation there.  So either the total time is wrong, or the supplies per day (6.5 in this case, settings at SupplyAmount = 0.00015) is wrong.  One of them should be 4X more.

 

 

Log a github issue, given I don't use RSS, I don't generally account for it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, RoverDude said:

More specificity please.  Resources should absolutely be used during warp...  What does the UI show?

1.  You're missing something :wink:  EC is on the same timer.  That being said, it should be going down.

2.  I don't understand, more specificity please.

3.  Sure, log a github issue.

4.  Yes, it's a lot gentler by default until you install something like UKS, etc. that have more hab parts.

5.  Log an issue, but new UI work is a low priority at the moment - lots of fish to fry

Nice - let me know if you have any issues

It's just you :wink:  More details please, also be sure to use the 1.1.2 version on KSP 1.1.2

Log a github issue, given I don't use RSS, I don't generally account for it.

Logged https://github.com/BobPalmer/USI-LS/issues/112

No rush fixing this doesn't bother me much just gets my OCD a little :wink:  The bug is present even without RSS installed provided you set Earth Time in general settings.

Thanks much for your time and awesome mods!

Edited by drazed
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...