[1.12.x] USI Life Support

RoverDude

OK, I have Life Support and MKS-Lite running. I noticed that if I have two Habitats running with 2 kerbals in each (hab+recycler active) that I am self sustaining without the addition of anything else (nothing it used up, like fertilizer etc). Supplies do not run out, only mulch keeps accumulating.

If I run 3 greenhouses (for 4 kerbals) I eat away more mulch than they produce, Dirt is used but I use a regolith to replenish. But basically I can run without the greenhouses, just two habitats, and the counter will stop counting down indefintely.

Is this a bug?

[edit] It behaves differently than I would expect seeing the flowchart. I have 4 kerbals, 2 habitats (2 kerbals each), one greenhouse and a regolith sifter and I am 100% self-sustained without using any fertilizer. Also two Nom-o-matic 2500s will become self-sustaining for 4 kerbals, but this does use up fertilizer.

Edited by Jimbodiah

Hi to all (my first post here),

I also have the permanent tourist issue. I have version 1.7.0 (after the supposed fix), and savegame from start in 1.0.5

I've tried editing "trait" first, also tried to edit "Type" (set it back to crew) and setting "IsGrouchy" to false. Every time I start the save after such edits, when I go to my ship - I get the "refuses to work" message for both my Kerbals in that station. Have stock for 500 days + and electricity for 15 days in the station.

Also in the savegame it seems my ship is well supplied.

My persistent file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-b_sxKZve6odnpLVWtsTlNOVFk/view?usp=sharing

Help would be appreciated - both mod fix, and advice how to adjust savegame file for the short run.

Your mod is one of the things, that keep me playing KSP! Thanks for your work!

Look, I'm so sadist/psycho but like... if there any way I could have them... you know... uh... do the thing.. when they run out of food for 15 days..? 

I mean from a realistic stand point, someone's not going to chillax and refuse to work if they don't eat for a year. They're going to be dead.

Edited by VenomousRequiem

4 minutes ago, VenomousRequiem said:

Look, I'm so sadist/psycho but like... if there any way I could have them... you know... uh... do the thing.. when they run out of food for 15 days..? 

I mean from a realistic stand point, someone's not going to chillax and refuse to work if they don't eat for a year. They're going to be dead.

Look, ya know, its a lot easier to just ask the question rather than try to be slick/cool about it.

If I actually understand what you are asking you could like ya know check the settings.cfg.  Namely the CausesDeath = false

1 hour ago, goldenpsp said:

Look, ya know, its a lot easier to just ask the question rather than try to be slick/cool about it.

If I actually understand what you are asking you could like ya know check the settings.cfg.  Namely the CausesDeath = false

Woah, hey, no trying to be cool here. I know I'm lame, though I thought the question made sense. Yes, I want my poor little kerbals to suffer and die. See why I didn't just come out and say it like that?

Thanks for the help, buddy.

Edited by VenomousRequiem

I found a bug today. Got my spacestation on the way to Duna. For the USI LS Parts there was an Nom-O-Matic 25000, a 2.5m Life Support Tank and 2 Kerbals on board (Also a OKS 6-Way Hub, a modded Science Lab, a USI Reactor, a cuppola Module, Dockingports, Radiators, etc...). I was 23d away from the SOI Change und decided to warp there. Halfway trough the warp my supplies dropped from 4335 to zero. And i've checked it twice, the supplies supposed to last for more than 4years. 

So i think my supply container had a hole in it or something :)

I can replicate this bug and also have a savegame if necessary. Modlist would be huge, but i can generate one

Edited by TheLoki

28 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

You very likely ran out of EC, and the kerbals stormed the supply closets.

Interesting mechanic you have going there. :P

I'm curious: How does eating 4 years worth of food help a kerbal with an electricity problem? Do they work as generators?
Thankfully, I'm now aware of this one, it would have been most confusing.

3 minutes ago, steve_v said:

Interesting mechanic you have going there. :P

I'm curious: How does eating 4 years worth of food help a kerbal with an electricity problem? Do they work as generators?
Thankfully, I'm now aware of this one, it would have been most confusing.

It doesn't help. But those silly kerbals do crazy stuff when under stress. 

You very likely ran out of EC, and the kerbals stormed the supply closets.  I'll be tweaking this in a future release.

Did it again with paying attention to EC. Sorry no drop at all. Nuclear Reactor is up and running at 100% Efficiency and 13.97% load.

Screenshots of the situation before and after:

ZPg7sl8.png

IsHaG9p.png

Edited by TheLoki

if i put the life support minipak in the inventory of the command pod, the life support doesnt recognize it as resources, if I have 8 of them in the pod, as soon as i get to the launch support, the system says I have 0 days, 0 hours,minutes, and seconds of life support on the ship.... am I missing something here?

4 minutes ago, crash087 said:

if i put the life support minipak in the inventory of the command pod, the life support doesnt recognize it as resources, if I have 8 of them in the pod, as soon as i get to the launch support, the system says I have 0 days, 0 hours,minutes, and seconds of life support on the ship.... am I missing something here?

Try radially attaching it to the craft. I don't think stuff from inventory gets used.

Correct, supply packs in KIS inventory won't get eaten.  Which can be a way to keep a reserve supply of food available for the Kerbals.  Either in the seat inventory, or in a KIS container somewhere.

When rescuing Kerbals in orbit, I'll sometimes EVA an engineer over to the stricken vessel and attach a radial food pack before rescuing the trapped Kerbal (along with battery, solar panels, antenna).

22 hours ago, TheLoki said:

Did it again with paying attention to EC. Sorry no drop at all. Nuclear Reactor is up and running at 100% Efficiency and 13.97% load.

hrm... that's a very odd one.  And you have no locked life support containers anywhere?

8 hours ago, crash087 said:

Don't put them in KIS inventory.  No way for me to recognize them.

1 hour ago, WuphonsReach said:

Correct, supply packs in KIS inventory won't get eaten.  Which can be a way to keep a reserve supply of food available for the Kerbals.  Either in the seat inventory, or in a KIS container somewhere.

When rescuing Kerbals in orbit, I'll sometimes EVA an engineer over to the stricken vessel and attach a radial food pack before rescuing the trapped Kerbal (along with battery, solar panels, antenna).

No need to have these for rescue Kerbals - their timer starts when the ship is first loaded

1 hour ago, RoverDude said:

No need to have these for rescue Kerbals - their timer starts when the ship is first loaded

Sometimes their ship gets loaded by accident by a different launch that passes within the 2.5km bubble, before I'm actually ready to rescue the Kerbal.  So their timer starts ticking down.  And given how the rescue contract system works, sometimes it's a valuable piece of kit that I want to salvage.

2 hours ago, RoverDude said:

hrm... that's a very odd one.  And you have no locked life support containers anywhere?

Nope, just the 2.5 container and the nom-o-matic. They would show up in the ressourcepanel anyway even if there are locked containers. But there it reads 5000 wich is the combined storage of these two. 

I warped often and this is the first time that happend, i would say i'll monitor it and should it occur again i write it down here ;) Maybe it's only a weird combination about my mods, this station, trajectory, etc. :)

I have 3 kerbals who ran out biscuits while in orbit around Gilly waiting for a return window - is my only fallback now a rescue mission to Eve? (the last time I run a interplanetary mission aiming to return without an orange kerbal or an antenna!)

P.s. why are supplies so expensive? 1/4 of the cost of a typical mission can be supplies. IRL the cost is from moving the mass, not the supplies themselves.

Edited by CorBlimey

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.