[1.12.x] USI Life Support

RoverDude

looking forward to the overhaul (and the MKS guide you have made).

I am thinking of starting a new career. Do you have a rough idea of when it will be updated?

asked via twitch. FYI for others: big ole list of updates for most of his mods but its done when its done ;)

Edited by CorBlimey

On 1/16/2016 at 7:05 PM, Kobymaru said:

Wait, what? I didn't know that. So what happens if you timewarp 68 years? Does the Sun collapse into a black hole? Or rather a white dwarf?

as it turns out, about 68 (earth) years is precisely 231-1 seconds, which is the largest integer you can express with 32 bits. past this, the computer has to start "reusing numbers," similar to a car's odometer rolling over. the problem is if those previous 2.14 billion numbers are/were being used to represent something, the computer gets confused. this was sorta the basis of the Y2K scare, and the basis of the very real (and yet, probably trivial) 2038 problem.

in KSP, physics should continue to work, as they are calculated iteratively. but the clock will either roll over or stop.

there was an interesting thread a few months ago about this, which delved well beyond my knowledge of comp-sci (which is next to nil, mind you).

but for an overly simplistic explanation: Imagine the number 11 could not exist because your fingers can only count to ten.

Back on Topic: i can't wait to start bumming out some kerbals! my janky orbital death trap test-ship will be named the K.M.S Misery. just to make sure i read the last few pages correctly: a proper long term Hab/Kolony setup can ward off homesickness longer than my attention will require (10+ years)? i'm looking forward to the added challenge of these new mechanics, but i'd hate to upset my beach-side Laythe Retirement Kommunity. "Back in my day, they made inflatable habitats to last!"-An Old, Kranky Jeb.

0.3.0 IS UP!

• EVA timer is now based on how long the kerbal has been EVA.
  • Habitation space is now a thing - see the forum for details.
  • The in-flight view has had a visual refresh to reflect the new data.
  • Multiple LS configs are now supported, with a delta inclusive of the most pessimistic changes being used.
  • Added displays to the tracking station, space center, and VAB/SPH
  • SPH display includes build aid information for the current vessel
  • Reduced mass of Nom-O-Matic 5000
  • Kerbals no longer raid the supply tins - but they will unlock all of them.
  • Corrected stack nodes for nom tanks
  • Kerbals in command seats should properly consume supplies
  • Recyclers and Habitation calculations, if enabled, can extend to nearby landed vessels to better facilitate disconnected bases.

I was about to go sleep... Well, forget the bed.
Once again, I can't thank you enough for the effort being put on this, Rover. This is priceless.

Now, time to go test it out... ;)

--

Well, I think there's something wrong. :)
Output: http://puu.sh/mBfut/f97582f853.txt

Will make further tests.

Edited by Kowgan

1 hour ago, Kowgan said:

I was about to go sleep... Well, forget the bed.
Once again, I can't thank you enough for the effort being put on this, Rover. This is priceless.

Now, time to go test it out... ;)

--

Well, I think there's something wrong. :)
Output: http://puu.sh/mBfut/f97582f853.txt

Will make further tests.

What is the name of the mod, that adds the rank and profession information to the kerbals in the bottom right corner?

37 minutes ago, ObiVanDamme said:

What is the name of the mod, that adds the rank and profession information to the kerbals in the bottom right corner?

11 minutes ago, Brigadier said:

Close, its actually Portrait Stats , forum link , kerbalstuff

Edited by BrutalRIP
add kerbalstuff link

Why does "Habitation" in the VAB show "Indefinite?"

It might be nice to have the option of seeing LS/Hab status for ships with no crew. I made a point of rotating crews home before updating to 0.3.0, so currently nothing shows up.

In the settings, how long is a kerbal month as used in basehabtime? Is it a Munar month (6 days), a Minmus month (closer to 50 as I recall)?

Edited by tater

2 hours ago, tater said:

Why does "Habitation" in the VAB show "Indefinite?"

It might be nice to have the option of seeing LS/Hab status for ships with no crew. I made a point of rotating crews home before updating to 0.3.0, so currently nothing shows up.

In the settings, how long is a kerbal month as used in basehabtime? Is it a Munar month (6 days), a Minmus month (closer to 50 as I recall)?

Because by default hab is turned off - since it sounds like you do not use MKS, your only hab module in stock is the hitchhiker can.  Tweak the two hab penalties in your config (in life support) and you will be fine.

58 minutes ago, CorBlimey said:

Hi Roverdude,

Which is the right config file to change? The one under Kolonization (added by MKS) or under LifeSupport (added by this)? They both look the same ;)

Either - the system takes the most pessimistic combination of all configs found, so depends on if you want things harder or easier.

Here's a thought:

Why not change habitation into morale?  When you get down to it, an unlivable space would cause low morale, and as the space degrades, it would also cause morale to drop.  This way you can still require <appropriate resource> to still maintain vehicles, you still maintain the mechanic, but you also eliminate the concept of things wearing out.

While the concept of things never actually wearing out is unrealistic, it's kind of essential to KSP with your approach to USI-LS, as you don't kill kerbals by default (unlike TAC-LS), which means things wearing out and breaking shouldn't occur because that's the equivalent of killing structures.  It's definitely a feature that could be enabled, but one that's off by default.

What's not sitting well with me is that I am no longer in control of when things need to be replaced, as the habitation mechanic is usurping that control (as I currently understand it).  That will creates more unnecessary work, whereas a morale mechanic makes sense, as that's a direction that things should go, and (to me at least) fits with the general USI-LS approach to life support.  The other advantage to morale is (for vanilla at least) happier scientists can get a productivity bonus to the mobile processing lab, and that mechanic also works well with the various productivity mechanics of UKS.

The creation of uncessary work is also why I recently pulled Remote Tech from my mod install, as it was making pre-communication network gameplay less fun that I really wanted it to be because you need to be high enough in the tech tree to get the solar panels so you can loft the satellites to geostationary orbit, which basically added too much busywork, and it's something I'd like to avoid as there's enough stuff to do with the various USI mods as it is.

Edited by almagnus1

is anyone else seeing an issue where new ships launched dont show up in the Life support menu? the two space stations i have show how much supply is left, but the ships im launching now dont even show up, even though they have the mini life support packs attached (i also tried putting them in the seat inventories but nothing changed)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.