[1.12.x] USI Life Support

RoverDude

36 minutes ago, forsaken1111 said:

RE: hab space / timer, is it be possible to provide a recreation module or minimum population which would allow crew to R&R? I'm envisioning a space station in kerbin orbit with a recreational module and 20-30 kerbonauts doing science and such. Docking a reusable spacecraft to allow the crew some shore leave and rest before the next mission.

Totally possible... though for something to support 20-30 kerbals, you're looking at a very large station.

23 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

If kerbals are in a station and run out of food, do they go on strike or "poof" back to the space center?

Depends on settings.  

9 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

Totally possible... though for something to support 20-30 kerbals, you're looking at a very large station.

Excellent! I haven't gotten to play with the latest version yet due to time pressure but look forward to using it in my next career play

38 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

If kerbals are in a station and run out of food, do they go on strike or "poof" back to the space center?

Do you use MKS, or not? If yes, then they go "poof", NOT back to the space center but they go M.I.A . That's essentially like getting killed, except they respawn eventually.

Fun stuff happens, if you run out of hab time though. Not only do they become grumpy, but they also destroy the vessel. Here's a little video of that: https://youtu.be/Dq24i4hm0I4

14 minutes ago, ChrisF0001 said:

So if I change USI-LS.cfg in Kolonization, that overrides the one in LifeSupport?

Until there's a way of making a surface outpost self-sufficient with substrate / water or something, I'm going to have to make things easier for myself... :)

The most pessimistic configuration setting from both files takes precedence.  So its best to change both if you're trying to improve the lives of your kerbals.

Thanks for the help guys, I changed the settings and Jedfrey made it home. But not after a second rescue ship was sent to refuel the first...

The problem with just letting the kerbal go MIA and respawn back at KSC is that it causes the contract to fail.

Did I just start something? I am pretty sure that I hadn't read about kerbals going 'poof' until now.

A dedicated R&R module sounds like an interesting idea, perhaps something that reduces the effects of overcrowding.

The settings update was a recent change ;)  And I figure some folks want to adjust those settings down while things are tweaked - hence the option to override everything.

Yep, I need to make some larger base parts - but I kinda wanted to clear the way with the core life support changes first :)

I am doing some launchpad tests and seeing my habitation timers count down much faster than I would have expected. Basically I left a vessel occupied on the launchpad for a year, and at the end the hab timer had counted down by over four years.

I know that there was a similar issue reported earlier, but that was for a base that was overfilled with crew, and may have had too many life support recyclers running. I've only got life support turned on for a single Pioneer module, and my kerbals have a ton of space (this is a ship that's supposed to be considerably over-engineered for interplanetary trips, so everyone has lots of room.)

Is this a bug, or expected behavior due to wear? If the latter, is there a way to get a true estimate of how long the habitation will last, including with wear?

9 minutes ago, Kowgan said:

@nobodyhasthis2 Open Kerbal Space Program\GameData\UmbraSpaceIndustries\LifeSupport\Settings.cfg on a notepad. If you have MKS installed, change the settings at the MKS folder as well.

I really don't want to waste time decoding all the unwanted features. I will stick with TAC for now. It has a proper UI.

EDIT: Actually I take that back. There is notes in there. Still there really should be a UI. 

Edited by nobodyhasthis2

17 minutes ago, nobodyhasthis2 said:

I really don't want to waste time decoding all the unwanted features. I will stick with TAC for now. It has a proper UI.

EDIT: Actually I take that back. There is notes in there. Still there really should be a UI. 

Sure, there should be a ui. But then again, coding UI's is kinda pointless if KSP is updated in a month or two that might break every single UI in existance. Especially if the stuff can be changed very easily with a text editor (much work, little gain).

Developer time is a very finite thing, and it's better to focus on new features or other bugfixes, than on something that will be obsolete in a month.

On the other hand, if you really want a UI, you could write one yourself!

7 hours ago, PocketBrotector said:

I am doing some launchpad tests and seeing my habitation timers count down much faster than I would have expected. Basically I left a vessel occupied on the launchpad for a year, and at the end the hab timer had counted down by over four years.

I know that there was a similar issue reported earlier, but that was for a base that was overfilled with crew, and may have had too many life support recyclers running. I've only got life support turned on for a single Pioneer module, and my kerbals have a ton of space (this is a ship that's supposed to be considerably over-engineered for interplanetary trips, so everyone has lots of room.)

Is this a bug, or expected behavior due to wear? If the latter, is there a way to get a true estimate of how long the habitation will last, including with wear?

I'll take a peek - they should not drop that fast.

3 hours ago, Badsector said:

By design i can do maintenance only at science lab ?

In my ship cupola is the first to wear and i can't perform maintenance, there is a way for fix other parts ?

Next patch they should all have their maintenance option.

39 minutes ago, nobodyhasthis2 said:

See note above RE every single UI breaking in 1.1 - but hey, I take pull requests :P

I have a few questions about the mod and the way it talks to other mods; apologies if I've missed anything above.

1) I see that someone has put in requests to have Nertea's NFSpacecraft update to have proper replacement parts values, but I don't understand how to fix my NFSpacecraft install to add those patches (github is a completely unfathomable mystery to me) - how do I do that?

2) has anyone talked to/is anyone planning to talk to the Taurus HCV guys about adding in Life SUpport?

3) CKAN (I know, I know) got rid of the EPL parts hider for MKS, now there are hundreds of parts I will never use all through my VAB list - wha's the fastest/easiest way to hide the EPL parts?

EDIT: Sorry will ask this third one in the proper thread

Cheers in advance.

Edited by Boots

Hey @Boots, no worries.

1/2.  I thought they were going to send it Nertea's way - otherwise. you would just drop that stuff in a file called (whatever).cfg anywhere in your gamedata folder and it will be picked up.  Capsules, etc. would already have life support stuff done automatically - the extra configs are more for station/base parts.

3.  Fastest way to get rid of the EL parts is to delete anything in the EL parts folder other than the survey stake and mallet.

40 minutes ago, Boots said:

1) I see that someone has put in requests to have Nertea's NFSpacecraft update to have proper replacement parts values, but I don't understand how to fix my NFSpacecraft install to add those patches (github is a completely unfathomable mystery to me) - how do I do that?

I can help you out with that, but I'm gonna need a link to ... well, something. Like a link to those patches. Or pull requests. Or branch. Or repo. 

Ah, now I see. You mean this? https://github.com/ChrisAdderley/NearFutureSpacecraft/commit/33f2f7b9ca101f5ef65e3bfd998130067f866f15

Just go to the current master branch, go into GameData/NearFutureSpacecraft/Patches/NFSpacecraftUSILifeSupport , then click on "raw". Now you can download the file. This is how I got the link: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ChrisAdderley/NearFutureSpacecraft/master/GameData/NearFutureSpacecraft/Patches/NFSpacecraftUSILifeSupport

3) CKAN (I know, I know) got rid of the EPL parts hider for MKS, now there are hundreds of parts I will never use all through my VAB list - wha's the fastest/easiest way to hide the EPL parts?

I might be able to answer that as well, but what are "EPL parts hider"? I see that this has already been resolved.

Edited by Kobymaru

I'd like to confirm that the homesickness is working as it should now. Hooray!
That means I have some pending vacations to manage. :P

Unfortunately, the resetting flight list issue still persists while opening the UI at the VAB/SPH.
I thought this could be a conflict with another mod's UI, but the same issue happens even on a fresh new save, containing USI and MM only.
I'll try installing UKS to see if anything changes.

Tried with UKS installed. No luck. Possibly unrelated, though what I noticed is that, even in orbit, the list accuses the vessel to be landed. http://puu.sh/mTtxx/0ec85a9b92.png

Re-confirming the exact steps to reproduce (links on the quote are referring to LS v0.3.5.0):

On 26/01/2016 at 2:54 AM, Kowgan said:

Here's a pack and reproduction steps:
Clean install of KSP, contaning USI-LS 0.3.5.0 + USI Tools only.
1. New sandbox save (download here).
2. Launch a rocket to LKO. So far, everything's working fine.
3. Create a new vessel. DO NOT open the USI window while in VAB. Bring it to the Launchpad. Everything's working as it should. Revert flight or recover the vessel.
4. Create a new vessel. Open the USI window while in VAB. Bring it to the Launchpad. Tada,the USI flight list is reset and only the active vessel shows up.

Output Log.

Edited by Kowgan

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.