[1.12.x] USI Life Support

RoverDude

Your kerbals are going to turn 1 unit of supplies into 1 unit of mulch, at a rate of .00075 per second (per kerbal). The greenhouse combines this with 7.5 units of fertilizer to produce 8.5 units of supplies. I think that math is currently correct....

If you have enough greenhouses to convert every kerbal's mulch in real-time to supplies, your supply rate will never drop. 

2 minutes ago, invultri said:

Differently :). Basically I expected that some losses were present in the supplies to mulch step such that mulch + fertilizer would net the same amount of supplies. Now I know this is normal and I should make sure that I have enough supply storage space on the longer missions such that we do not lose the mulch.

Where would the mass go? Being 'consumed' by the kerbal doesn't destroy it, he's just processing it in his/her body temporarily. Mass in == mass out, always. Unless you're a nuclear reactor, or a star. =)

9 minutes ago, invultri said:

Ah.. you mean that M(mulch) + M(fertilizer) == M(supply) ?

(Which is interesting since mulch is tossed away when its full right?)

Only if you run out of storage.

3 minutes ago, invultri said:

Differently :). Basically I expected that some losses were present in the supplies to mulch step such that mulch + fertilizer would net the same amount of supplies. Now I know this is normal and I should make sure that I have enough supply storage space on the longer missions such that we do not lose the mulch.

yeah, conservation of mass.  And all supply tanks have mulch storage except for the mini pack.

1 minute ago, ibanix said:

Your kerbals are going to turn 1 unit of supplies into 1 unit of mulch, at a rate of .00075 per second (per kerbal). The greenhouse combines this with 7.5 units of fertilizer to produce 8.5 units of supplies. I think that math is currently correct....

If you have enough greenhouses to convert every kerbal's mulch in real-time to supplies, your supply rate will never drop. 

Close but reverse that :wink:  it's roughly 10 mulch + 1 f fertilizer = 11 supplies (don't quote me on the exact math, but that's roughly the idea)

Oh derp, got the items backwards.

The Nom-O-Matic 5k is doing 4.05 mulch + 0.54 fertilizer => 4.59 supplies  (all in per-hours, on my install).That works out to 9 + 1.2 => 10.2 for me. 

3 hours ago, ibanix said:

Where would the mass go? Being 'consumed' by the kerbal doesn't destroy it, he's just processing it in his/her body temporarily. Mass in == mass out, always. Unless you're a nuclear reactor, or a star. =)

You would just vent it into space. But that would be horribly inefficient so I like this system better :) Anyway, as long as fertilizers lasts I would gain 2.16 ((0.54/4.05)*16.2) supplies per kerbal per kerbal day. Which means for 1000 days I would need storage of 2160 supplies+mulch per kerbal. This would of course diminish if I take a MPL along by 70% and would only require 648 supplies + mulch storage. In the latter case I think nothing odd will happen due to part build in storage.

3 hours ago, ibanix said:

Well, in actual metabolism, a bunch of the mass we eat (a kg or more per day) is actually exhaled, not excreted. We could suppose that the Mulch includes captured CO2 and water vapor from the air, though.

14 hours ago, VaPaL said:

@ibanix There's info on the wiki and there's a doc RD wrotte, here the Google Drive link to it: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5DeuZPvuq9hd2VWZXFBZlFwNkE

It's not quite a tutorial, but explains how things work. This + the wiki are a lot of information.

Where did you hear about this? This is fantastic.

42 minutes ago, Mr Shifty said:

Where did you hear about this? This is fantastic.

I found the doc browsing the forums. I removed from the folder because I think it's outdated, so I will not spread misleading info. I'll check when a get home, if it's up to date I upload again.

EDIT: It's up to date, sorry, here the link to the original RD's Googel Doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KK6uJGFm98EjhU5RvbD5mnp4Sm0PtrwKdB2gGtZsTAE/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by VaPaL

Hello!

I'm getting a game-breaking exception from USI. When inside the R&D Screen, when I click "leave" to return to the KSC, the following exception pops:

[EXC 18:50:27.798] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	LifeSupport.LifeSupportPersistance.Save (.ConfigNode node)
	LifeSupport.LifeSupportScenario.OnSave (.ConfigNode gameNode)
	ScenarioModule.Save (.ConfigNode node)
	ProtoScenarioModule..ctor (.ScenarioModule module)
	ScenarioRunner.GetUpdatedProtoModules ()
	Game.Updated ()
	GamePersistence.SaveGame (System.String saveFileName, System.String saveFolder, SaveMode saveMode)
	KSP.UI.Screens.RDSceneSpawner.onRDDespawn ()
	EventVoid.Fire ()
	KSP.UI.Screens.RDController.CloseButton ()
	UnityEngine.Events.InvokableCall.Invoke (System.Object[] args)
	UnityEngine.Events.InvokableCallList.Invoke (System.Object[] parameters)
	UnityEngine.Events.UnityEventBase.Invoke (System.Object[] parameters)
	UnityEngine.Events.UnityEvent.Invoke ()
	UnityEngine.UI.Button.Press ()
	UnityEngine.UI.Button.OnPointerClick (UnityEngine.EventSystems.PointerEventData eventData)
	UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute (IPointerClickHandler handler, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData)
	UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute[IPointerClickHandler] (UnityEngine.GameObject target, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData, UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventFunction`1 functor)
	UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventSystem:Update()

This seems to be preventing me from actually leaving the R&D screen.

Edited by NavyFish

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at UnityEngine.GUI.DoTextField (Rect position, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUIContent content, Boolean multiline, Int32 maxLength, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, System.String secureText, Char maskChar) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at UnityEngine.GUI.DoTextField (Rect position, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUIContent content, Boolean multiline, Int32 maxLength, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, System.String secureText) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at UnityEngine.GUI.DoTextField (Rect position, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUIContent content, Boolean multiline, Int32 maxLength, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at UnityEngine.GUILayout.DoTextField (System.String text, Int32 maxLength, Boolean multiline, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at UnityEngine.GUILayout.TextField (System.String text, Int32 maxLength, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at LifeSupport.LifeSupportMonitor_SpaceCenter.GenerateWindow () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at LifeSupport.LifeSupportMonitor_SpaceCenter.OnWindow (Int32 windowId) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

I'm also getting an NRE spammed, but it doesn't seem to be causing any problems, I have no issues leaving R&D

Okay, now that most mods I want are updated to 1.1.x, I'm setting up my next playthrough. And I definitely want USI-LS this time around :) Currently setting up and configuring one mod after another, so that eventually, I'll have a nicely customized instance. While doing this poking around at USI-LS, I've come up with some questions.

- If the recycler in the MPL tells me "69%, crew capacity 5", that means that it will reduce supply intake by that percentage for five Kerbals while active, and any further Kerbals will consume 100%, correct?

- I'm a bit confused by homesickness vs. habitation time. For example, the ingame config panel lets me set consequences for out of supplies, out of EVA time, and out of habitation time - nothing for homesickness. Meanwhile, the configuration file in the USI-LS diretory lets me set consequences for out of supplies, out of EVA time, and out of homesickness time - nothing for habitation. And, while the game clearly tracks both habitation and homesickness as separate timers, they always seem to be identical, no matter which combination of habitable parts I put onto a vessel. How come? ...Is this something that's not fully implemented yet?

- The mod adds ReplacementParts to anything with a crew capacity, but the resource is invisible. By default, if I understand the config files correctly, only the MPL actually needs them (for running its recycler), but I could change the configuration to require all parts with crew capacity to consume these over time. My question is: why is the resoure hidden? I mean... how will I know how long my MPL can run its recycler for before running out? Will it draw ReplacementParts from other parts on the same vessel (like monoprop is shared vessel-wide), or will it be limited to its own supply? And how can I ship in extra ReplacementParts for long-term space stations? After all, I cannot manually pump the stuff around when it's hidden. I suppose I could easily change the resource definition to make it visible, but it clearly was made invisible on purpose, and I'm wondering why and how it is all supposed to work.

- Supplies have that 15-Kerbin-days grace timer until consequences happen after running out. Do any of the other counters, like battery life, habitation or homesickness, have that grace period as well?

- This is more of a small suggestion to RoverDude: could you add battery life a a visible timer in the in-flight life support info window? During early missions, when solar panels aren't available yet, battery life is the main constraint for crew survivability, and it's often a pretty short timer. You can see your maximum in the VAB, but it would be useful if you could check the current value during flight. Stuff like using reaction wheels or running alternators will influence Ec available quite a bit.

Edited by Streetwind
Typos, typos everywhere!

1 hour ago, Streetwind said:

Okay, now that most mods I want are updated to 1.1.x, I'm setting up my next playthrough. And I definitely want USI-LS this time around :) Currently setting up and configuring one mod after another, so that eventually, I'll have a nicely customized instance. While doing this poking around at USI-LS, I've come up with some questions.

- If the recycler in the MPL tells me "69%, crew capacity 5", that means that it will reduce supply intake by that percentage for five Kerbals while active, and any further Kerbals will consume 100%, correct?

- I'm a bit confused by homesickness vs. habitation time. For example, the ingame config panel lets me set consequences for out of supplies, out of EVA time, and out of habitation time - nothing for homesickness. Meanwhile, the configuration file in the USI-LS diretory lets me set consequences for out of supplies, out of EVA time, and out of homesickness time - nothing for habitation. And, while the game clearly tracks both habitation and homesickness as separate timers, they always seem to be identical, no matter which combination of habitable parts I put onto a vessel. How come? ...Is this something that's not fully implemented yet?

- The mod adds ReplacementParts to anything with a crew capacity, but the resource is invisible. By default, if I understand the config files correctly, only the MPL actually needs them (for running its recycler), but I could change the configuration to require all parts with crew capacity to consume these over time. My question is: why is the resoure hidden? I mean... how will I know how long my MPL can run its recycler for before running out? Will it draw ReplacementParts from other parts on the same vessel (like monoprop is shared vessel-wide), or will it be limited to its own supply? And how can I ship in extra ReplacementParts for long-term space stations? After all, I cannot manually pump the stuff around when it's hidden. I suppose I could easily change the resource definition to make it visible, but it clearly was made invisible on purpose, and I'm wondering why and how it is all supposed to work.

- Supplies have that 15-Kerbin-days grace timer until consequences happen after running out. Do any of the other counters, like battery life, habitation or homesickness, have that grace period as well?

- This is more of a small suggestion to RoverDude: could you add battery life a a visible timer in the in-flight life support info window? During early missions, when solar panels aren't available yet, battery life is the main constraint for crew survivability, and it's often a pretty short timer. You can see your maximum in the VAB, but it would be useful if you could check the current value during flight. Stuff like using reaction wheels or running alternators will influence Ec available quite a bit.

1. Correct.
  2. You're missing something - the config file I know has consequences for both in it.  Haven't had a chance to look at the new UI, but I suspect it's there as well.  But basically: Habitation time is the amount of time they can be comfortable in their current vessel.  Homesickness is the amount of time they are comfortable away from Kerbin.  They start the same, because they are based on the same things: Space in your current ship, rec facilities, etc.  However, Habitation resets every time they enter a new ship, while Homesickness never resets.  It can however be increased by going into a larger ship - and it will not decrease just because you've gotten into a smaller ship afterwards.  So for a single ship, they are equal.  Over the course of a longer mission they'll be different.

I'll leave the others because I'm not 100% certain on them, but it's also worth checking out the wiki - a lot of it has been reworked in the last day or so, and I think it has much better info now.

Hmm.  Yes.  Again, I haven't had a chance to look at the version released yesterday...  (And I tend to just delete those files without looking - I have a persistent one I keep elsewhere.)  I guess I need to poke around a bit more.  :wink:

I'm guessing that the consequences will be the same for both - if you can only set one in either location.  As I said, I'll have to poke around.  Anyway, I hope my explanation of what they are helped.

1 hour ago, Streetwind said:

IIRC, the supply timer shows EC as well. Whichever has the lowest remaining time is the time displayed. 

2 hours ago, blu3wolf said:

if you have UKS installed, it will override that config file with its own. So you may see consequences, even though the LS config file does not have any.

I don't have UKS installed right now, as I'm testing mods one by one. Now I wonder if the UKS config has fields for both hab time and homesickness, as @DStaal thinks it should have...

1 hour ago, ExplorerKlatt said:

IIRC, the supply timer shows EC as well. Whichever has the lowest remaining time is the time displayed. 

I just tested this, and it does not do that. With 18 Ec left, draining at 0.05 Ec/s, it happily reported 33 days of supply time remaining.

It might be a good way to implement it, though.

EDIT:

Huh. I just deliberately ran myself out of Ec. Nothing happened, apart from supplies no longer draining. None of the Kerbals onboard - a mix of orange suits and regulars - went grouchy, as they are supposed to (all available options are set to grouchy right now). They all went EVA and did stuff just fine. I was able to cruise the entire nighttime portion of a 90 km Kerbin orbit without power, while still keeping control of my vessel and even conserved supplies while at it.

It appears that either, there is indeed a grace period for power outage, or power outage has no consequences at all.

Edited by Streetwind

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.