[1.12.x] USI Life Support

RoverDude

1 hour ago, jd284 said:

Three ways to save him:

• equip your rescue craft with The Klaw and grab his pod
  • attach his pod with KIS to a rescue craft
  • attach a docking port to his craft with KIS

I would like to add the terrible more kerbal solution of using a Klaw to attach a probe with engines and parachutes, de-orbiting the whole thing, and letting the crew on the ground cut him free once he lands.

Is it possible to transfer supplies from one vessel to another? In a re-supply mission from kerbin, if I bring food and dock with the space station, how do I "transfer food from the containers of the rocket to that of the empty containers of the space station?

I ran into something unexpected when I loaded up the Kolonists into my way-station base: the hab-time was well below the hab-time listed in the VAB for maximum occupancy.

So after ensuring all of my Habitation modules were active, I loaded the ship up in the VAB to double-check and make sure I did not forget something.

Nope, Hab-time with 34 Kerbals should be several years, and I only had 23 with a hab-time of 320 days.

So I tried adding all 18 of my kerbals currently in the Astronaut complex to the ship, and the max hab time kept going down.

'Must be a conflict' I thought, so I opened up my USI-testing save, removed the old mods and added everything the ship might need(Tools: 8.15, Core 3.8, MKS 50.16, LS 5.22)

Lo and behold, it happens in my USI-only install as well:

Way-station with 2 of 34 kerbals in VAB:  (Hab-time for 34 kerbals listed as 4y:91d)

http://imgur.com/bnlCqU2

Way-station with 22 of 34 kerbals in VAB: (Hab-time for 34 kerbals listed as 416d)

http://imgur.com/V6KbqGP

(The album has similar images from my current game, including one on the Mun with LS and all hab parts open to show they are active.  Forums do not want to in-line the images for some reason)

Is this a known problem, or should I create a USI-LS issue?

Parts: Pioneer/Logistic module, 2x2.5m hab modules, 2x Ranger Hab Modules, 2x Ranger ag modules, 4x hitchhiker containers, and non-hab parts(reyclers, wheels, cradles, antennas, reactor, batteries, solar panels, storage)

Edited by Terwin

This happens to me as well, and can happen with "Supplies" calculations in the VAB.  Adding it all up by hand, you'll see that it does calculate wrong in the VAB, sometimes not properly counting the amount of Kerbals you add to a craft.  This has lead to quite a few scrapped missions for me as I see once my Jool mission gets to space, that I actually don't have the LS or supplies to get there.  Your "post-launch" stats will be the accurate ones if you take the time to calculate it by hand.

24 minutes ago, Terwin said:

I ran into something unexpected when I loaded up the Kolonists into my way-station base: the hab-time was well below the hab-time listed in the VAB for maximum occupancy.

So after ensuring all of my Habitation modules were active, I loaded the ship up in the VAB to double-check and make sure I did not forget something.

Nope, Hab-time with 34 Kerbals should be several years, and I only had 23 with a hab-time of 320 days.

So I tried adding all 18 of my kerbals currently in the Astronaut complex to the ship, and the max hab time kept going down.

'Must be a conflict' I thought, so I opened up my USI-testing save, removed the old mods and added everything the ship might need(Tools: 8.15, Core 3.8, MKS 50.16, LS 5.22)

Lo and behold, it happens in my USI-only install as well:

Way-station with 2 of 34 kerbals in VAB:  (Hab-time for 34 kerbals listed as 4y:91d)

http://imgur.com/bnlCqU2

Way-station with 22 of 34 kerbals in VAB: (Hab-time for 34 kerbals listed as 416d)

http://imgur.com/V6KbqGP

(The album has similar images from my current game, including one on the Mun with LS and all hab parts open to show they are active.  Forums do not want to in-line the images for some reason)

Is this a known problem, or should I create a USI-LS issue?

Parts: Pioneer/Logistic module, 2x2.5m hab modules, 2x Ranger Hab Modules, 2x Ranger ag modules, 4x hitchhiker containers, and non-hab parts(reyclers, wheels, cradles, antennas, reactor, batteries, solar panels, storage)

The best thing is to create an issue and attach that craft as well as the screenshots.

So, I been looking through this a bit and haven't come up with anything yet.

I think it's a bug. Or if not, I sure could use assistance on how to deal with it.

On both my Orbital station, and now my Minimus Base it's happening.

I have a modest amount of Kerbals, 9 on Minimus and about 15 on the Orbital. All the timers look great...until I do something, most notably going on an EVA with a kerbal.  The second he jumps out almost all their Hab timers drop to expired. I board the craft, and the timers go back to normal, which is around 200 days.  I have the habitations running, recyclers going, slowly generating supplies.

I've also noticed this when undocking ships (even if there are no Kerbals inside).  What is up with it?  I really don't want to remove the habitation timers, I really like the added feature...but it makes it difficult to play when they are constantly becoming grouchy.

Yeah, I also had the issue yesterday, that the hab just went to "expired" when it should be 155d, like the home sickeness. Can be seen here: Video.
The station was working without flaws for 150d already. I fixed it by restarting all habitation modules then the HAB just came back, like can be seen here.
Later a part of the crew sticked again to expired habitation and I needed to shift them into another vessel and give them a ride, to reset them (later in the same video).
A little annoying, but as this is a highly modded install it is propably not useful for debugging.

What is more of a problem, that when undocking the return lander (that has no supplies on board) from the station the SUPPLIES for the guys in the lander directly go to "expired". Can be seen here.

Shouldn't they have a 15d starving period then? There were enough supplies in the station, from they just undocked.

Edited by Jebs_SY

Btw, USI-LS is still spamming this NRE, when opening the life support window on the launchpad while being connected to a launch clamp with a "launch countdown" mod module:

170219T224750.923 [EXCEPTION] [UnityEngine.GUILayoutUtility.BeginLayoutGroup] ArgumentException: GUILayout: Mismatched LayoutGroup.Repaint
   at UnityEngine.GUILayoutUtility.BeginLayoutGroup (UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options, System.Type layoutType)
   at UnityEngine.GUILayout.BeginScrollView (Vector2 scrollPosition, Boolean alwaysShowHorizontal, Boolean alwaysShowVertical, UnityEngine.GUIStyle horizontalScrollbar, UnityEngine.GUIStyle verticalScrollbar, UnityEngine.GUIStyle background, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options)
   at UnityEngine.GUILayout.BeginScrollView (Vector2 scrollPosition, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options)
   at LifeSupport.LifeSupportMonitor.GenerateWindow ()
   at LifeSupport.LifeSupportMonitor.OnWindow (Int32 windowId)
   at UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID)
   at UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style)

Edited by Jebs_SY

3 hours ago, Jebs_SY said:

What is more of a problem, that when undocking the return lander (that has no supplies on board) from the station the SUPPLIES for the guys in the lander directly go to "expired". Can be seen here.

I also noticed this earlier, gave me bit of a shocker. But despite the expired warning, the 15d grace period must be active, as they kept on working (according to my settings they die without supplies).

3 hours ago, Jebs_SY said:

Btw, USI-LS is still spamming this NRE, when opening the life support window on the launchpad while being connected to a launch clamp with a "launch countdown" mod module:

170219T224750.923 [EXCEPTION] [UnityEngine.GUILayoutUtility.BeginLayoutGroup] ArgumentException: GUILayout: Mismatched LayoutGroup.Repaint
   at UnityEngine.GUILayoutUtility.BeginLayoutGroup (UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options, System.Type layoutType)
   at UnityEngine.GUILayout.BeginScrollView (Vector2 scrollPosition, Boolean alwaysShowHorizontal, Boolean alwaysShowVertical, UnityEngine.GUIStyle horizontalScrollbar, UnityEngine.GUIStyle verticalScrollbar, UnityEngine.GUIStyle background, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options)
   at UnityEngine.GUILayout.BeginScrollView (Vector2 scrollPosition, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options)
   at LifeSupport.LifeSupportMonitor.GenerateWindow ()
   at LifeSupport.LifeSupportMonitor.OnWindow (Int32 windowId)
   at UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID)
   at UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style)

What do you mean by a Launch Countdown mod module?  If this is another mod, did you remove said mod and see if the error persists?

29 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

What do you mean by a Launch Countdown mod module?  If this is another mod, did you remove said mod and see if the error persists?

Yes, it's the Launch Countdown (Github) mod.

It's adding a Launch Countdown Module to the Launch Clamps:

@PART[launchClamp1]:FOR[LaunchCountDown]
{
MODULE
	{
		name = LaunchCountDown
	}
MODULE
	{
		name = LaunchUI
	}
}

As soon this module is on a clamp, an a ship with USI-LS is on the clamp and I open the green USI-LS button on the launchpad, it spams the above exceptions.
As soon the ship is flying the USI-LS button works.

If I remove the LCD-module from the launch clamp, everything is fine.

My workaround is having the LCD-module on Space-Y clamps for launch and having the stock clamps without LCD-module, to do USI-LS tests on the launchpad. :)

However, I thought I should still report it, at least.

Edited by Jebs_SY

Hey RoverDude,

does the USI-LS life support window accounts for the supplies produced by MKS in the time when the vessel is unloaded?

i want to start another ksp playthrough but think i remembered having the problem, that agriculture modules are ignored by the calculations....

5 minutes ago, Athur Dent said:

Hey RoverDude,

does the USI-LS life support window accounts for the supplies produced by MKS in the time when the vessel is unloaded?

i want to start another ksp playthrough but think i remembered having the problem, that agriculture modules are ignored by the calculations....

USI-LS timers do not account for *any* production.

Supplies, electricity, etc.

But negative effects are only applied during/after catch-up so you do not actually lose anything when the timers runs out if you have production running on the base.

I understand that I need to revisit drill sites, etc - I have been noticing that the number of days before my kerbals become possible tourists [based on the ls status screen] is getting to be more and more frequent [16 days vs 3 months, etc.]  is this mainly because there are not enough supplies being created for the demand vs the supply being made?

Is there a suggested method to know if you are making enough supplies for the pull based on demand?

1 hour ago, dlrk said:

The Life Support Status window seems to have been changed recently. It's listing supplies and hab only in days, and theres a mysterious (+1d) after supplies. The supplies counter also isn't going down every day. Pic: http://imgur.com/a/rAiqM

I find that this page has most of what I need:

https://github.com/BobPalmer/USI-LS/wiki/Mission-Planner-Example:-Supplies

And this one is useful if I am using something other than Nom-o-Matics:

https://github.com/BobPalmer/USI-LS/wiki/Parts:-Converters

edit: quoted wrong post, it was supposed to be the one above yours...

the (+15d) in the LS window is how long you have between running out of something(EC/Supplies) and when 'bad-stuff' happens

Edited by Terwin

The LS status page is just a guideline, especially when the vessel in question isn't within physics range of whatever you're looking at. All it's doing is looking at what your resource levels were when you last visited, and it's counting down. It doesn't account for any mining of new materials for fertilizer, converting mulch back into supplies, solar panels generating EC, etc.. Even when you're focusing on your vessel, it's still just a guide. If you're producing supplies faster than you use them, the LS window will show your supply timer going up, rather than show you how long until you're out of fertilizer or anything like that. If you have a reactor that can power your base for decades, your EC timer will just be frozen at whatever your batteries max capacity is. As soon as you leave that vessel, those timers just start counting down again. When you come back to visit, then the game will do its catch-up mechanics and make everything right again. 

Having something appear to expire in the LS window is not a big deal. What's important is what happens on catch up. For example, my LS windows ALWAYS show most of my kerbals having expired EC due to the fact that I don't typically have a lot of EC storage on my stations, but I do have a lot of EC generation. Every time I visit a base, it sorts itself out, but the LS screen will count down to expired again before I visit, probably (I don't check in that often...).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.