[1.12.x] USI Life Support

RoverDude

Today, I sent a kerbal to Minmus (first time in KSP 1.0 career....about 200th time for KSP), and did not include a NOMS canister. Eventually, she got hungry and went yellow then red. Upon re-entering the Kerbin atmosphere, she was suddenly satisfied and reported back to duty. Yet, I fed her nothing.

Is that how things should work? Or, is that a bug? The kerbal was not an orange-suit badass.

I prefer this to Snacks, which I've created parts mods for. I may start modding USI NOMS as well.

Hi Roverdude

I installed your great mod and started a new save. The green button shows up in the menubar, but the Mk1 Capsule does not have sliders for food and such ? Is it not included in the capsules ?

Thanks

Hello,

I should look into this...never thought that without LS that on Kerbin they should survive...duh!

Of course they could go thru a dry season...better to have it and not need it !

Zeta

- - - Updated - - -

Hello,

Please clarify; you have LifeSupport Module and TACLIFE uses the SAME Module; this is a conflict as well as a conflict of interest; changing the dll name helps but using this module just hides things or even worse may cause one or more MODS not to work; as already explained.

Why do we need yet another life support system? TACLIFE works just fine; what am I missing?

Also adding more resources outside of Community Resource Project? If that project is to work are MODDERS required to have their own resources and to make sure they dont duplicate with CRP? I think this was the norm; ie WarpPlugin etc...

Mulch from my understanding of working with horses is pretty heavy stuff; maybe a 1/4 of the weight of broken up ore; I use BIOMASS and we use Nutrients which would be a hydroponics solution (per se) to feed the greenhouse; it is also alot lighter. (Edit: Actually I dont know now; water vs mulch; mulch not packed in the same volume would be lighter; this might be more on the lines of BioCake, which is a result of waste and wastewater treatment: Biomass>BioCake which is really light and condensed; I could take the BioCake and make Nutrients out of it; thanks for the unintended tip!).

Not trying to knock the idea just saying that this is already out there and in my opinion real-world wise a 'lighter' solution to long term survivability in space.

Edit: I like the models though...can I use them and put TACLIFE resources in it !! Thanks ! No worries I wont sell it haha !

Cmdr Zeta

Edited by Cdr_Zeta

Let me see if I can decipher this...

Hello,

I should look into this...never thought that without LS that on Kerbin they should survive...duh!

Of course they could go thru a dry season...better to have it and not need it !

Zeta

- - - Updated - - -

Hello,

Please clarify; you have LifeSupport Module and TACLIFE uses the SAME Module; this is a conflict as well as a conflict of interest; changing the dll name helps but using this module just hides things or even worse may cause one or more MODS not to work; as already explained.

Nope. They do not. It's actually ECLSS that happens to have the same name, and as noted, I'll change mine in the interest of being neighborly. No, this mod does not hide anything by the way :P

Why do we need yet another life support system? TACLIFE works just fine; what am I missing?

Re-read the OP.

Also adding more resources outside of Community Resource Project? If that project is to work are MODDERS required to have their own resources and to make sure they dont duplicate with CRP? I think this was the norm; ie WarpPlugin etc...

No idea what is even being said here.

Mulch from my understanding of working with horses is pretty heavy stuff; maybe a 1/4 of the weight of broken up ore; I use BIOMASS and we use Nutrients which would be a hydroponics solution (per se) to feed the greenhouse; it is also alot lighter. (Edit: Actually I dont know now; water vs mulch; mulch not packed in the same volume would be lighter; this might be more on the lines of BioCake, which is a result of waste and wastewater treatment: Biomass>BioCake which is really light and condensed; I could take the BioCake and make Nutrients out of it; thanks for the unintended tip!).

It's a word ;) no need for the over analysis.

Not trying to knock the idea just saying that this is already out there and in my opinion real-world wise a 'lighter' solution to long term survivability in space.

I do not even understand this statement... TAC-LS is quite a bit heavier with three times the resources, plus different mechanics.

Edit: I like the models though...can I use them and put TACLIFE resources in it !! Thanks ! No worries I wont sell it haha !

Cmdr Zeta

It's CC 4.0 BY-SA-NC - rock on.

Let me see if I can decipher this...

If you think that was bad, don't look at your CRP thread...

It seems to me you are misunderstanding the role of CRP. I'd suggest you read its OP again, carefully. The only resource added here is mulch. Mulch is not a planetary resource, it is a manufactured resource. CRP exists to handle planetary resources only.

Hello,

Regarding manufactured resources...if they are not in a 'CFG' the Module WONT work; I have all resources in one place to avoid duplication since the game takes the last resource CFG; I know it doesnt matter where it goes...oxygen, hydrogen, other gases...several resources are manufactured as well as being on planets and moons.

I read the OP in that this LS system was to enhance USI; I overlooked that but most players use all-incompassing MODS; not just USI or any one in particular.

If the CRP resources, like they were originally with not may real world counterparts, have resources added by MODDERS that are not listed or not 'correct', a MODDER may have done their own research into what the density values should be for their own resource like you did with mulch; you actually did what I was asking but I was wondering about resource duplication...it leaves the gamer a question about them; if they were all in one place there would be no question; that is difficult to do that is why I was asking if MODDERS just add their resource values because they know they work for them and not some other MOD...ranting...

Thank you for the clarification; I cant use it because I use TACLIFE so in my case I see no need for another LifeSupport Module from another MOD is what I am getting at.

It still looks like USI is in competition with TACLIFE and other Life Suppport Mods...ah well it is nice to have preferences and use what works for us.

I like the models...YA ! Thanks !

Cmdr Zeta

I really can't understand a word you say, so I shall no longer try ;)

Maybe I can respond to at least some parts of the post then:

I read the OP in that this LS system was to enhance USI; I overlooked that but most players use all-incompassing MODS; not just USI or any one in particular.

THat is not really a conflict. It is called USI life support because it is by USI, which is the in-game brand that RoverDude uses for his mods. It is only natural that it would be designed to work well with USI mods, but that does not automatically make it work badly with other mods.

Thank you for the clarification; I cant use it because I use TACLIFE so in my case I see no need for another LifeSupport Module from another MOD is what I am getting at.

It still looks like USI is in competition with TACLIFE and other Life Suppport Mods...ah well it is nice to have preferences and use what works for us.

Well, yes, that is the point. To give you a choice. Pick TAC-LS for realism, complexity and dire consequences, pick Snacks for some harmless fun with little overhead. The existence of this mod does not change the fact that those two have their place. It merely offers a third choice for those who do not like either extreme and want something in-between. Just like Karbonite was just a new choice in the age of Kethane.

@cmdrzeta I'm not sure waht the real issue is. But a quick couple of things.

This life support mod does not have to be used to use mks and other USI parts. And I don't see USI as being in competition with TAC. This is simply a lighter, easier solution to have LS and such issues to worry about and deal with in the game. It's just not as full blown realism as TAC LS is, but slightly more involved than snacks is. Roverdude went to great lengths to make his mks mod able to use either his USI LS, or TAC LS, so I don't see how that is being in competition. It's just another option, Which I think a few people asked for and he also brought up to users of his mks, which is what USI LS is really geared toward, And for the most part it could also work as a stand alone LS option if people wanted. There was some discussion and it was generally a well accepted idea. And he never intended to compete with TAC LS. It Just provides different options.

If you're happy using TAC rock on, nothing has really changed or been subverted by this mod.

Im not sure what the issue is with crp though, in one sense the original crp did do a lot to clean up some of the overlap and clutter of resources, but there are a lot of modders, and quite frankly Roverdude and a couple other modders tried to set up some sort of agreement on naming and density and such of resources quite awhile ago. Several very active modders sort of just snubbed the idea. In the end crp is just an easy framework for anyone to add any resource the want. And to try to come to an agreement with as many modders as possible.

Everyone who mods sort of has their own idea of how things should be, I mean people still argue with taraniselsu over his densities and consumption rates and how long has TAC been out? And there was a bit of a discussion by some when Roverdude initially brought up the subject of his own LS. I won't get into that whole thing again but after some discussion those for it got to a consensus of what is really happening when using a life support and all the resources,and well Roverdude ended up with this mod.

I don't understand the whole competition thing as none of this is a competition. This is all free stuff graciously provided to the community to use. Everyone plays different. I see it in no way hurting TAC LS (and what about the fact there were like what 3-4 other LS mods before this?) and I really have to say Roverdude never tries to cause problems with other mods or anything. He simply tries to provide options to people, especially with in the framework of his own mods. The moment a conflict was brought up about is dll. Naming he immediately said he will change that to be nice and not mess with other peoples hard work.

Edited by Hevak

Fine...don't use it then. Even if you see no need for Yet Another Life Support, others such as RoverDude, did.
There is no "competition" per se. This mod is aimed at folks who don't want the complexity of TAC nor the simplicity of Snacks. As the OP says, it's in the middle.

Sidebar: not being a RoverDude nor USI fan-boy here. Just making an observation.

Edited by Apollo13

I'm not sure whether to ask here or in the Universal Storage thread but is there any chance of a USI-LS US wedge for N.O.M.S?

Can't open a github issue until I know where to post it :)

I'm not sure whether to ask here or in the Universal Storage thread but is there any chance of a USI-LS US wedge for N.O.M.S?

Can't open a github issue until I know where to post it :)

It's in the works with Universal Storage, on that main page or his website its in red "coming soon."

I'm having issues with this mod.

I am using it along with MKS/OKS. The Pioneer module requires mulch, but I can't find any parts that make mulch. I know that it supposedly has a mulcher in it. How do utilize that?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.