[1.12.x] USI Life Support

RoverDude

1 hour ago, goldenpsp said:

Everything should work in the "background"  Keep in mind that most background processing usually just uses a "catch up" mechanic when you go back to a vessel.

Aha, you are right. It does create resources in the background and catches up to them instead of creating it in real time. :)

Edited by Valkyria90

6 minutes ago, ibanix said:

Discovered timers for hab/supplies, eh?

yeah some kind of warning would have been nice rather then finding it out when I hit 68km above kerbin coming in from minmus and my pilot turns into a GD tourist!!!!

pulled usi life support.  going back to Tac LS

Edited by ctbram

...and if he would have been using TAC-LS, the pilot would have already been dead :P

USI-LS has a much more generous grace period than TAC-LS does for 2 of the three TAC resources (only food lasts longer than supplies at 30 vs 15 days).

Roverdude.  True but I was not using TAC LS was I?  I read your intro saying orange suits did not turn into tourists and it cost me about 2 hours and jeb.

I just re-read the intro and it clearly says the orange suits are immune to the ill effects of starving ans will stay on the job?  So my question is why did I just lose Jebediah and my entire minmus mission because he got turned into a tourist just as the ship hit 68km into the kerbin atmosphere returning from minmus?  I could not decouple the capsule or even arm the parachutes so he died and I lost my entire mission!

I read this before the mission:

Orange suited Kerbals (Jeb, Bill, Bob, and Val) are immune to the ill effects of life support. They will still consume supplies if given, but do not leave the job, because they are just that awesome. This always gives a player (especially a new one) an 'out' to test out a manned mission before actually committing your other kerbals, etc. to a horrible fate of snack deprivation.

I did not have the DV for supplies and this cost me a couple hours to minmus, collecting data, and returning only to lose complete control of the ship when according to the above I should not have!  You might want to amend that and maybe save others the some grief.

Edited by ctbram

not sure I will have to check.  I have since removed usi LS.  I have a save of the mission just as it returned to kerbin but jeb is showing as tourist and now I cannot even switch to the ship.  It just burns up on re-entry and I cannot get control.

I'd edit the persistent.sfs file if I knew how to change him back to pilot.  Kind of peeved I blew a couple hours going to minmus and back all for nothing and killed jeb.  I have been playing ksp since 0.21 and I have NEVER killed jeb until now.  I nearly pounded the keys off my keyboard I was so mad!  No warning, no beeps, no popups.  just come out of warp and I have no control.  I had no clue what the heck was going on.  All I knew was the orange suits are not supposed to do that.

Edited by ctbram

Actually, the wiki does note that the Vets are NOT immune to going to Tourist when running out of supplies: https://github.com/BobPalmer/MKS/wiki/Life-Support

" Kerbals can go 15 days without Supplies without incident. After 15 days Kerbals will simply stop working. They'll stay in their seat but they won't EVA, they won't command the ship - they'll act like tourists. Once provided Supplies, they'll return to work. By default this includes exceptional veteran Kerbals (Jeb, Bill, Bob, Valentina - those in orange suits) however you can change the 'NoSupplyEffectVets' configuration in the setting.cfg file so that they will be immune to the tourest effect "

@RoverDude, you do really need to edit your original post on this thread, because the details on Vet kerbals is no longer correct for default installs (or is misleading), i.e. ctbram's quoted paragraph.

It might say that in the wiki.  To bad I chose to read the quote I posted from the OP at the top of this forum!

Orange suited Kerbals (Jeb, Bill, Bob, and Val) are immune to the ill effects of life support. They will still consume supplies if given, but do not leave the job, because they are just that awesome. This always gives a player (especially a new one) an 'out' to test out a manned mission before actually committing your other kerbals, etc. to a horrible fate of snack deprivation.

You can't put one thing in the forum and another in the wiki then blame the player for choosing to believe the wrong one!!!!

Edited by ctbram

I had exactly the same problem as you ctbram. On exactly same mission. Tight dv, first manned to Minmus. I specifically made sure i used vets only due to no supplies on board and i found out they were not immune after all, just like you, on aero braking back on Kerbin.

But honestly its not that big of a deal. I just hacked my way though some save backups and ignored LS for that mission. Reinstated right after the mission.  Sure i lost some time but that was it. Maybe its not too late for you to fix this as well(if you still have backups)?

So yes i wasted some time but RoverDude spends much more time building and  maintaining many very complex mods i enjoy. Flawless documentation would take even more time.

Honestly, i would rather RoverDude focuses on new features, new mods and bugs then on discrepancies in the documentation.

Edited by Vrana

Hi

I don't understand why my kerbal turns into tourist. I have no supplies on my mission and Jeb becomes tourist after only 4 days of travel (kerbin-mun). Hab and home are green.

What is the problem ?

Sorry for my english.

Thanks !

@ctbram - you really need to cool down.  Seriously.

2 hours ago, lemuwien said:

Hi

I don't understand why my kerbal turns into tourist. I have no supplies on my mission and Jeb becomes tourist after only 4 days of travel (kerbin-mun). Hab and home are green.

What is the problem ?

Sorry for my english.

Thanks !

Look at the timer... you very likely ran out of supplies.

2 hours ago, lemuwien said:

Hi

What is the problem ?

Sorry for my english.

Thanks !

Hab and home are both positive values? I can't answer that one. Default grace time for supplies is 90 hours or 15 kerbal-days.

Actually... @RoverDude, does USI-LS correctly account for the difference in time set to kerbal or to earth (eg 6 hours days vs 24 hours days)? In earth days 90 hours works out to 3.75 days, which is close to the 4 lemuwien mentions.

Edited by ibanix

29 minutes ago, DonKalypso said:

Because I'm dumb, how do I increase Hab and Home times?

Edit: Perhaps an additional question would also be, how might I, during a flight, restore Hab and Home?

Stock parts that increase hab time are the cupola and hitchhiker container. 

For you second question, they can't be restored during flight. 

Hab time is based on the current vessel. 

Home time is the best hab time the kerbal has had since leaving kerbin. 

1 hour ago, DonKalypso said:

Because I'm dumb, how do I increase Hab and Home times?

Edit: Perhaps an additional question would also be, how might I, during a flight, restore Hab and Home?

As noted you can include more seats (the more space you have the longer the hab/home timers), or you can use cupola and hitchhiker which actually add time in excess of their seats.

But if you need to adjust to support playing in earth time there is a configuration file you can edit and change how long it takes for effects to happen, how long supplies last, and what effect does happen when you run out of supplies, get home sick, or your vessel's habitation runs out.

The wiki for this mod has some info on this.

6 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

FYI - adding a UI for the config in the next release :)

Super awesome.  Any chance we can also get a constellation download, one zip with your entire group of mods in a single download?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.