[1.12.x] USI Life Support

RoverDude

54 minutes ago, symmeclept said:

I'm getting hardcore log spam from latest version:

[LOG 14:48:54.366] ERROR Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object IN ModuleLifeSupport

Happens in both existing and new crafts, manned and unmanned.

I can also confirm this happening, quite a bit of log spam.

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

ERROR Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object IN ModuleLifeSupport

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

ERROR Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object IN ModuleLifeSupport

11 minutes ago, Gilph said:

Hi, Sorry, but 0.5.8 still had the spam and caused the heisenbug in my base for the first time.  This is in my modded career save.

That's odd. Spam appears to be fixed in my save with 0.5.8. I was definitely getting it in 0.5.7.

Edit: Nevermind, it only fixed it in pre-launch status. This is why I try to double-check before I run my mouth.

Edited by danfarnsy

2 hours ago, RoverDude said:

@Gilph - delete your LifeSupport folder and give the install another go please.

I deleted my folder completely when I installed 0.5.8.  Will try it again when I get back on.

Edit1: Good news: no error spam after I deleted the folder and reinstalled.  But, the heisenbug was still there

Edit2: Spoke too soon...got the error spam about 15 minutes into the session. It started when I switched to a small unmanned sat with a relay. No life support at all: ERROR Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object IN ModuleLifeSupport

Edited by Gilph
update

Hi guys, I have a question about life Support, is it responsable of the kerbal to tourist transformation? when the kerbal stay long time in a place the retard change his profesión to "tourist" and I didn't discover the pattern or what I have to do to solve that or avoid it.

Any help?

thx

1 hour ago, Alvargon said:

Hi guys, I have a question about life Support, is it responsable of the kerbal to tourist transformation? when the kerbal stay long time in a place the retard change his profesión to "tourist" and I didn't discover the pattern or what I have to do to solve that or avoid it.

Any help?

thx

Yep, that's life support.  Depending on your settings (and the design of your ships) several things can be causing it, but it's likely that they are getting homesick or running out of habitation.  To avoid you need to make sure you have enough habitation (and supplies, and EC, the other main LS variables) for your mission.  To turn the Kerbal back to his former profession, you need to return them to Kerbin.  (Or - if it's not habitation - get them supplies/EC.)

So, I'm new to the whole USI LS thing. Doing my first missions outside of Kerbin's SOI, headed to Duna.. and may have found some bugs. Not sure. Went a little overkill and spent the whole day building a Karibou rover/MKS Duna series mashup for a main base, several additional Karibou rovers for fuel production and ground exploration, and a relay satellite network. Sent the whole thing out unmanned in about five pieces, landed what needed to be and got it set up. The manned exploration rover had ~60 days supplies/hab time, which was massively overkill. The main base had something like 4-5 years hab time, and an unknown amount of supplies.. they were to be farming (mining water/substrate and using cultivation). Even without that they had enough supplies for several years, and a backup nom-o-matic system that'd alternatively use the fertilizer and mulch to extend supplies in case water/substrate was unavailable (which ended up being the case). Several issues here, but ended up getting it to work. The Duna Series MKS nuclear reactor kept turning off every time I swapped to a new ship, so that ship would be out of power when I would return to it.. which was frustrating. Had to Hyperedit in some electric charge to get things running again. No idea why it kept turning off, even had radiators attached and running.

Next, I put together a transfer vehicle that was composed of a nuclear powered space hotel (2.5m tundra Kerbitat, science lab, numerous luxuries) and a lander that was designed to refuel on the ground and return to orbit and dock for a Kerbin return. The whole setup had something like 2-3 years of hab time and supplies and the lander portion a good month's time for my 4 kerbals. Sent it out.. and ran into, well.. problems. Lots of them. Got my ship into orbit around Duna and found that I only had about 30 days worth of supplies remaining. I should have had the better part of year or two remaining, more than enough for a return to Kerbin. Turns out the Kerbitat, even though it was set up for "Recycler" (the 81% one that only uses EC), wasn't doing anything. It was turned on, but it hadn't actually functioned at all. The science lab's 50% recycler had helped a bit, but left me with a nearly empty mothership. Bug maybe? Figure.. oh well, I can drop my crew on the surface and they out to be able to last until resupply from Kerbin. Load them up into the lander portion, decouple the docking port, swap back to the main mothership and start shutting down systems since it's empty now.. and all my guys decide to call it quits. Turns out the lander was sharing hab time with the nearby mothership, and for some reason the crew now thinks I'm shoving them into a tin can or something. The "lander" apparently doesn't register as a "new vehicle", so the hab time isn't being reset. As soon as the lander leaves the "shared" zone around the mothership, even if I leave its systems online.. the crew quits. I can still land remotely, but they won't EVA to set up my base and move in. Luckily I was able to think of a solution.. decoupling, redocking, then undocking caused it to reset properly.. then my lander stopped being controllable briefly when it lost signal, despite having 4 kerbals (pilot included) on board.. pilot in a command pod even. Guessing that wasn't USI though, probably some other issue.

8 hours ago, Gilph said:

No life support at all: ERROR Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object IN ModuleLifeSupport

FWIW (looks similar, but may not be related), I upgraded from 0.5.6 (which worked, and fixed the earlier habitation issue) to 0.5.9 and I'm seeing something like this too. Nothing shown in the LS window, no resources consumed, on a (previously working) station.
Going EVA and re-boarding with the sole occupant triggered this log entry a dozen or so times:

Spoiler

Exception handling event onVesselChange in class ModuleLifeSupportSystem:System.InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object
  at System.Linq.Enumerable.First[Part] (IEnumerable`1 source, System.Func`2 predicate, Fallback fallback) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Linq.Enumerable.First[Part] (IEnumerable`1 source, System.Func`2 predicate) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at LifeSupport.ModuleLifeSupportSystem.UpdateVesselInfo () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at LifeSupport.ModuleLifeSupportSystem.UpdateVessel (.Vessel thisVessel) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at EventData`1[Vessel].Fire (.Vessel data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(Filename: /home/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object
  at System.Linq.Enumerable.First[Part] (IEnumerable`1 source, System.Func`2 predicate, Fallback fallback) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Linq.Enumerable.First[Part] (IEnumerable`1 source, System.Func`2 predicate) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at LifeSupport.ModuleLifeSupportSystem.UpdateVesselInfo () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at LifeSupport.ModuleLifeSupportSystem.UpdateVessel (.Vessel thisVessel) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at EventData`1[Vessel].Fire (.Vessel data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:Internal_LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Logger:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
EventData`1:Fire(Vessel)
FlightGlobals:setActiveVessel(Vessel, Boolean)
FlightGlobals:ForceSetActiveVessel(Vessel)
KerbalEVA:proceedAndBoard(Part)
KerbalEVA:BoardPart(Part)
KerbalEVA:<SetupFSM>m__58()
KerbalFSM:RunEvent(KFSMEvent)
KerbalFSM:updateFSM(KFSMUpdateMode)
KerbalFSM:UpdateFSM()
KerbalEVA:Update()

Then LS magically started working again. :) So far (and a few scene changes / vessel switches later) so good, no more errors.
There's something funny still going on here, but it seems a vessel state change fixes it, at least for me. No EVA possible on an unmanned vessel though.

ed. Spoke too soon.  It happened again, though this time I spotted the instigator - undocking (in the first case, a spaceplane, and just now with a lander). After undocking, (in both cases the smaller / not station, unaffected vessel became the focus) the station looses all LS functions.
Playing about with the lander & station in close proximity, the error is logged on every dock, undock or vessel switch.
Undock / dock or EVA doesn't seem to fix it this time either :(.

All this on existing vessels, and with other mods. Really don't have the time to spend on a stock save ATM, barely time to play at all :(. Bloody day job. :mad:

Rolled back to 0.5.6 for now, and everything appears to work as expected.

Edited by steve_v

6 hours ago, Enorats said:

Turns out the lander was sharing hab time with the nearby mothership, and for some reason the crew now thinks I'm shoving them into a tin can or something. The "lander" apparently doesn't register as a "new vehicle", so the hab time isn't being reset. As soon as the lander leaves the "shared" zone around the mothership, even if I leave its systems online.. the crew quits.

I experienced a similar lander separates, crew quits problem. I'm still in early stage of my USI career, it happened me on a return trip from Minmus. Arrived to LKO with about 7 days hab time remaining, and after separating the return stage, during descent, the crew decided they've had enough torture and quit, not the best timing. Is this intended so? I would imagine there should be some hab time remaining for them to land. In this case the 25km Kerbin limit saved them, but I bet that on Duna it would be messier.

Edit: maybe the lander pod(s) shouldn't be occupied during the mission, and only be used during the landing and then it would have habitation remaining in the end? I'll test it at home.

Edited by bounty123

I'm seeing an odd little bug that I didn't see posted already. If I missed it, please disregard this:

I noticed when using CTT in my career playthrough that the Nom O Matic 5000, 25000, and 25000-I all seem to be visible in the default tech tree node (survivability) AND their CTT node, hydroponics. These seem to be the only three parts that are affected this way. I tried starting with a fresh install of USI-LS and its bundled dependencies and CTT. I started a new career and went straight to the R&D facility, and the tech tree still showed the Nom O Matics in both tech tree nodes. Has anyone else seen this? 

Here is the output log from that "playthrough", as well as a save if needed. Only USI-LS and CTT are needed. 

Slightly off-topic, but while I was looking into this (my version of looking into most programming-related things is PRETTY basic) I noticed that the new, larger recycler, the RT-5000, doesn't have a CTT config entry, so it just shows up in survivability, far sooner than the littler RT-500, which shows up in recycling. Is this its intended placement, or simply an oversight? Would you like a pull request (I can try to figure those things out!) with an updated CTT.cfg? If so, would you like it in the recycling node, or somewhere else? 

Thanks for everything!

Edit: I just re-posted this in the CTT thread, since in hindsight it might be more of an issue on that mod's end.

Edited by Merkov

12 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Ok let me repro that case then :)

Ok.. 0.5.9 going up now.  Hopefully the last one for a while :wink:

@Gilph - can you reiterate your specific bug and do you have it reproducible in a USI+Stock save?

Hi, will try to reproduce tonight in a USI+Stock build, along with testing 0.5.9 in career build.

To reiterate, I loaded 0.5.8 and went to all of my bases and ships. On my third ship, I got the "refused to work/back to work" message.  When I checked the log, no spam errors. Continued to switch to all active flights and went to a small sat that I need to get into an orbit in Minmus as part of a contract. There are only stock parts on this craft, and no life support as it's unmanned. At that point, the spam started with that error message.  Not sure if the timing is relevant.

6 hours ago, bounty123 said:

I experienced a similar lander separates, crew quits problem. I'm still in early stage of my USI career, it happened me on a return trip from Minmus. Arrived to LKO with about 7 days hab time remaining, and after separating the return stage, during descent, the crew decided they've had enough torture and quit, not the best timing. Is this intended so? I would imagine there should be some hab time remaining for them to land. In this case the 25km Kerbin limit saved them, but I bet that on Duna it would be messier.

Edit: maybe the lander pod(s) shouldn't be occupied during the mission, and only be used during the landing and then it would have habitation remaining in the end? I'll test it at home.

Near as I can tell decoupling doesn't reset the hab time. The Kerbals are still in the "same ship" as before, so the hab time isn't reset. Redocking, then undocking resets it because it's undocking that the mod recognizes.

The solution is to do an Apollo style mission. Get to orbit, decouple your command pod (taking a huge hab time hit, but you just got up there so it won't matter), turn around and dock to your LEM. Hab time will reset and go back to normal. Go to moon, undock the lander.. do your stuff. For the ascent to orbit you can't leave any hab pieces behind as decoupling from them won't work. Long term landers could have trouble here, but short missions should be okay. Anywho, go back up.. redock, transfer crew, undock (or keep the LEM for extra hab), and head to Kerbin. Undock from the LEM before decoupling your pod if you kept it, simply decoupling will cause issues.

If you try to do the mission with just one vessel (say a command pod with hitchhiker can, with a decoupler in between to detach the pod for reentry), you'll be fine for the entire mission up until reentry. At that point you'll decouple your pod and the crew will more or less give up and quit because the mod thinks you've effectively turned off the life support systems, not detached from them and created a new vessel your Kerbals should be happy to take for a short jaunt.

25 minutes ago, Enorats said:

Near as I can tell decoupling doesn't reset the hab time. The Kerbals are still in the "same ship" as before, so the hab time isn't reset. Redocking, then undocking resets it because it's undocking that the mod recognizes.

Thanks, so un/redocking is the key, I'll keep that in mind. You probably saved several kerbal lives with this info!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.