[1.12.x] USI Life Support

RoverDude

6 minutes ago, archnem said:

I have a bug that I can't figure out.  When starting a new game, both the "Life Support Setup" and VAB life support screen are completely blank, until I launch a vessel and open the monitoring screen.  Then both screens show up, but now the VAB monitor shows completely the wrong values for habitation, for instance, a hitchhiker module shows 165 days of habitation in the monitor, but when I launch it, it shows 7 days of hab.

I've deleted and reinstalled KSP, I've uninstalled every mod except MKS/USI-LS/KAS/KIS, I've rolled back Module Manager from 2.7.5 to 2.7.3, I've tried running both 32 and 64 bit KSP, I don't even know what's going on or what you might need to help, but it is making me pull what little hair I have out.

Silly question but are you turning the Hitchhiker on?

4 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

Silly question but are you turning the Hitchhiker on?

Oh hell, I totally missed the "start habitat" button - I didn't know you had to turn anything on.  Well, that solves one problem...but the problem of the screens being blank still happens...though that's not nearly as big of a deal.

Sorry about that.

1 minute ago, archnem said:

Oh hell, I totally missed the "start habitat" button - I didn't know you had to turn anything on.  Well, that solves one problem...but the problem of the screens being blank still happens...though that's not nearly as big of a deal.

Sorry about that.

I had the exact issue so that's why I figured I'd ask.

8 hours ago, archnem said:

Sorry about that.

I didnt realize you had to turn on non-inflatable habitats either when i first started with usi-ls.  I even did a couple of missions to minmus and mun with everything off :rolleyes::confused:.  Haha.

@RoverDude, are you open to suggestions for (non-drastic) changes to the habitation mechanics? I was thinking about hab stuff today and I have an idea for a way to do the timers that I think would resolve the issues that've been discussed recently (e.g. gaming the system with EVA), while staying mostly-compatible and having a very similar "feel".

@Wyzard @AVaughan If you guys think that your suggestions would be

• helpful
  • keeping with the original/current ideas of the mod
  • and reasonably easy to implement (RD has a non-ksp job, he contracts for Squad, and makes several amazing mods so not a ton of free time)

then I would go ahead and suggest them. RD tends to be open to suggestions.

Yeah, but we probably shouldn't derail this thread with a lengthy discussion of possible changes, unless Roverdude indicates that he'd like to see them, and that this is where he'd like any such discussion to take place.  (Other possible places to have the discussion include a github bug report, or a new thread on the forum, but again I wouldn't want to start or encourage such a discussion without Roverdude's blessing).  

Starting a potentially lengthy discussion here is likely to lead to a lot of other players throwing their hat into the ring, and a lot of potential extra suggestions, at least some of which will probably not fit with Roverdude's vision of what he wants this mod to be.  We should only have that discussion here with Roverdude's ok, and especially shouldn't add too much to the noise in this thread, which is more a support than a development thread, without his permission. 

Hi guys, I'm trying to learn how to use USI Life Support with MKS parts and I have a problem. My Agroponics modules are always stuck at 0.25% load. 

I have a Duna Pioneer Module and Duna Agriculture Module in Agroponics mode. Each unit is fully stocked with Machinery, Fertilizers, and Supplies. I have an Engineer, a Scientist and a Pilot on board. For the experiment I have an overkill of an nuclear electric generator. My goal was to confirm the mechanism of Supplies being consumed, Mulch being created, and then the Mulch being consumed with Fertilizer and Machinery to create more Supplies. When I start Agroponics, the load says its 0.25%. Other messages that show up when I right-click the Agriculture module are:

Comm Signal: 0.00

Comm First Hop Dist: -

Command State: No Pilot

PowerCoupler: No PDU's in Range

Agroponics: 0.25% load

what am I doing wrong? 

Hi jd284, yeah I played with different tank permutations and even started out with a full tank of Mulch and small amount of Supplies. I got fed up so I deleted all USI files via CKAN and reinstalled it manually by hand. Now, automagically it works! Just in time for KerbalBinge over the holidays :D

On 12/18/2016 at 8:32 PM, goldenpsp said:

I had the exact issue so that's why I figured I'd ask.

No, I'm still having major problems with USI-LS.  I'll build a ship and get one value, launch it and get another, and when I revert to the VAB get a third.  When I remove parts the hab multiplier goes all wonky and displays just clearly wrong values.  This is frustrating me quite a bit.  I've uninstalled every mod except UKS, USI-LS, EPL, and CTT.

For example, I built this testbed ship.  When I build it the first time, it shows what I believe are the correct values:

http://imgur.com/a/lNyro

CZjQr0m.jpg

Then I launch it and start all the habs:

zNsfkZH.jpg

Now it shows 149 days of hab, way less than the 2 years shown in the VAB.  So I revert to the VAB:

xgeoNDL.jpg

Now it shows 178 days of hab, what?!?  So I decide maybe it's a problem with the symmetry, so I remove all the observation cups...

i5afmJX.jpg

Now the multiplier is just clearly WRONG, as it's less than the base value for the PPD-12, much less the plus one I'm supposed to get for the ship.

Add to this the screen randomly going blank or showing me even more bizarre values, and I have no idea how much hab I've got.  I'm trying to design a teir-2 Duna mission but that's gone right out the window as I've literally layered a 100t mothership in the little obs cups and still can't get anywhere close to the hab value I need - even though it might show that I have it at some point only to snatch it away later.

I have no idea what's going on here, or what RD might need for troubleshooting purposes, but I'd love to help fix this.

22 hours ago, archnem said:

No, I'm still having major problems with USI-LS.  I'll build a ship and get one value, launch it and get another, and when I revert to the VAB get a third.  When I remove parts the hab multiplier goes all wonky and displays just clearly wrong values.  This is frustrating me quite a bit.  I've uninstalled every mod except UKS, USI-LS, EPL, and CTT.

For most of the parts that have Habitation effects, you need to specifically turn them on while on the launchpad with a right-click > Start Habitation.

3 minutes ago, tsaven said:

For most of the parts that have Habitation effects, you need to specifically turn them on while on the launchpad with a right-click > Start Habitation.

Yes, I've started the habs.  The multiplier is being calculated incorrectly....even in the VAB.  It will show the correct value when I first build the ship, and if I go to the action menu, when I come back to the parts editor the value of the multiplier will inexplicably change.  This is why I bothered to include screenshots to show what is going on.

For example, in the first shot, the multiplier is 11.65, which I calculate to be the correct value.  In the 3rd shot, after reverting back to the VAB, same ship has a multiplier of 2.3 which is way off...and then after deleting the cuppolas, the multiplier is 1.36666667 which is clearly wrong and should be impossible.

Edited by archnem
detail

1 hour ago, archnem said:

Yes, I've started the habs.  The multiplier is being calculated incorrectly....even in the VAB.  It will show the correct value when I first build the ship, and if I go to the action menu, when I come back to the parts editor the value of the multiplier will inexplicably change.  This is why I bothered to include screenshots to show what is going on.

For example, in the first shot, the multiplier is 11.65, which I calculate to be the correct value.  In the 3rd shot, after reverting back to the VAB, same ship has a multiplier of 2.3 which is way off...and then after deleting the cuppolas, the multiplier is 1.36666667 which is clearly wrong and should be impossible.

Well that's just weird then.

Fastest way to get it fixed will be to create a completely new game with ONLY Stock + USI mods, replicate the issue, save it and attach it to a new github issue for RD to look at.  Giving him a save to work with makes it vastly easier for him to look at.

I just started a new save with USI-LS, and when I'm sending my first orbital ship up with Jeb, he's turning into a tourist immediately upon leaving the atmosphere, and suddenly I can't control the ship. I'm using a basic CommandPod with a tacked on thing of Supplies. His habitability is 7 days, but his homesickness instantly flips to "expired" the second I get to space. Any ideas?

1 hour ago, ZachPruckowski said:

I just started a new save with USI-LS, and when I'm sending my first orbital ship up with Jeb, he's turning into a tourist immediately upon leaving the atmosphere, and suddenly I can't control the ship. I'm using a basic CommandPod with a tacked on thing of Supplies. His habitability is 7 days, but his homesickness instantly flips to "expired" the second I get to space. Any ideas?

Sounds like you have something weird going on, actually.  Can we see a pic of your USI-LS settings?  (And the ship, but I'm guessing the problem is in your settings.)

19 minutes ago, Starfire70 said:

Using latest USI LS on 1.2.2 career game, and was going to start deploying Nom-o-matics, but they are all marked *legacy*.

Is it safe to use these? I don't see any other Nom-o-matics in the tech tree.

NVM. Found the release nom-o-matics were already in my tech inventory as part of Survivability tech.

So I think I'm going to jump into the USI-LS game, but I have a save a couple hundred hours deep that I'd like to keep working off of.  Since unlike TAC kerbals aren't killed, would it be more reasonable to shuttle everyone home - resupply my bases (have a large Duna, Minmus, and moon base currently) to be self sufficient, then send my kerbals back.....or should I just let them go grumpy, setup the bases, and have them come out of tourist mode as the bases become functional?  Any downside to this second option - obviously it's a lot easier.

1 minute ago, mavric1298 said:

So I think I'm going to jump into the USI-LS game, but I have a save a couple hundred hours deep that I'd like to keep working off of.  Since unlike TAC kerbals aren't killed, would it be more reasonable to shuttle everyone home - resupply my bases (have a large Duna, Minmus, and moon base currently) to be self sufficient, then send my kerbals back.....or should I just let them go grumpy, setup the bases, and have them come out of tourist mode as the bases become functional?  Any downside to this second option - obviously it's a lot easier.

Keep in mind that the defaults may not be the same as in the OP. (I still think death is turned off but I would definitely check).

Personally I would do one of two options.

1. Shuttle everyone back.  Then evaluate my bases and ship out the LS parts I need (You will need life support supplies but also habitation space etc).

2. Change the settings so kerbals have no negative effect (kinda like installing USI-LS but disabling it).  Then evaluate what you need and ship it out.  Once everything is set, turn it back on.  This is kinda like #1 without shipping back the kerbals.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.