[1.12.x] USI Life Support

RoverDude

Quick question. What is the upper limit of Habitation? Years? Decades? Im now reaching the point where I am actually putting space station parts in space. Starting slapping tons of parts together to get an idea of the upper Hab limit. Half a dozen hitchhickers, inflatable habs. Filling them with cupolas and viewing ports but still only getting roughly a year of Habitation for like 4 Kerbals. Like the station I made was huge (in terms of living space) was wondering if I was doing something wrong.

21 minutes ago, TheKnave said:

Quick question. What is the upper limit of Habitation? Years? Decades? Im now reaching the point where I am actually putting space station parts in space. Starting slapping tons of parts together to get an idea of the upper Hab limit. Half a dozen hitchhickers, inflatable habs. Filling them with cupolas and viewing ports but still only getting roughly a year of Habitation for like 4 Kerbals. Like the station I made was huge (in terms of living space) was wondering if I was doing something wrong.

You will want multipliers, and you will want to make sure you are not stuffing it full of Kerbals.  there is no upper limit (I routinely build vessels with 50+ years of hab).

Thanks for the reply
Also realized one of the problems I was using was station parts from other mods. The USI Life Support does recognize them for basic habitation but does not give the parts any multipliers. Like its funny. I have this GIANT station and it has a decent 1 year of HAB. I slap 1. Just 1 Hitchhickers on it and it triples its HAB. From a part thats only probably 2% of the size of the entire station lol....*sigh* I have to many mods. They dont play together.

Edited by TheKnave
more info

11 minutes ago, TheKnave said:

Thanks for the reply
Also realized one of the problems I was using was station parts from other mods. The USI Life Support does recognize them for basic habitation but does not give the parts any multipliers. Like its funny. I have this GIANT station and it has a decent 1 year of HAB. I slap 1. Just 1 Hitchhickers on it and it triples its HAB. From a part thats only probably 2% of the size of the entire station lol....*sigh* I have to many mods. They dont play together.

What other mods are you using that give station parts? I have some spare time and can probably get some compatibility configs done before I leave for vacation on Monday. 

SSTU its a wonderful low part count modular mod that adds many different categories of parts but only a few for each type because they are modular. Specifically their HABs I want to use with MKS. MKS recognizes their size but gives them 0 multipliers. Even a 1 multiplier would be nice. 
I dont know what I am talking about at all when I say this but what if USI Life Support mod put at least a 0.5 or 1 multiplier for any pod or container that can have a kerbal inside to improve compatibility for mods not recognized.

WITH OUT HITCHHICKERS

rSdZuQu.jpg

WITH HITCHHICKER

lnrwB3U.jpg

As you can see the numbers are crazy different

13 minutes ago, TheKnave said:

SSTU its a wonderful low part count modular mod that adds many different categories of parts but only a few for each type because they are modular. Specifically their HABs I want to use with MKS. MKS recognizes their size but gives them 0 multipliers. Even a 1 multiplier would be nice. 
I dont know what I am talking about at all when I say this but what if USI Life Support mod put at least a 0.5 or 1 multiplier for any pod or container that can have a kerbal inside to improve compatibility for mods not recognized.

WITH OUT HITCHHICKERS

rSdZuQu.jpg

WITH HITCHHICKER

lnrwB3U.jpg

As you can see the numbers are crazy different

Looks like a perfect time to learn the joys of modulemanager patching.  It would be easy to create a patch adding USI-LS hab support for those parts.

33 minutes ago, TheKnave said:

Oh Jeez....gonna take some time here lol. Thank you :)

Not that much really.  Just look at the LsModule.cfg in the umbraspaceindustries\lifesupport\ folder.  It is the MM config that adds the hab values to the cupola and hitchhiker parts.  From there you basically have the syntax.  Then you just have to decide fair values for the other parts.

On 7/7/2017 at 11:00 PM, TheKnave said:

Oh Jeez....gonna take some time here lol. Thank you :)

SSTU has a USI-LS patch. Look in \SSTU\ModIntegration\USI-LS. You'll have to rummage for numbers.

On 7/6/2017 at 7:19 PM, Mihara said:
  • What's the point of the 15 day grace period on supplies, then?

You could maybe relabel the interface wording from "starving" to "rations". That way the 15 grace period can be considered to be how long the crew can survive with the food they have in their pockets (or stored in the crew capsule). That's the way I already think about it anyway.

4 hours ago, Sudragon said:

SSTU has a USI-LS patch. Look in \SSTU\ModIntegration\USI-LS. You'll have to rummage for numbers.

Yea the SSTU thread mentioned that. Thanks though. I was incredibly grateful. Still think it could use a bit more tweaking in terms of multipliers but thats just me. Just nice to have some bonus for using those massive parts.

For any who use both those mods they are right here https://github.com/shadowmage45/SSTULabs/tree/master/GameData/SSTU/ModIntegration/USI-LS

Edited by TheKnave
more info

@RoverDude

last night i finally run the 1.3 version
i still see every ship 2 times in the LS panel
can you write the header to look for in the save file? i think some how the info was saved 2 in the past and now i have an old version and an updated version for every ship

p.s.
i also took the time to test my understanding of the multi/crew formula for hub time
my first test were run in my carer save and the limited parts i have lead me to the wrong conclusion
doing the tests in sandbox i see the formula you use for it is brilliant :)

2 hours ago, danielboro said:

can you write the header to look for in the save file?

Look for LIFE_SUPPORT (99% sure this is it).  If you delete the entire scenario it will force it to rebuild it from scratch as you go to each vessel.

On 7/9/2017 at 2:26 PM, TheKnave said:

Yea the SSTU thread mentioned that. Thanks though. I was incredibly grateful. Still think it could use a bit more tweaking in terms of multipliers but thats just me. Just nice to have some bonus for using those massive parts.

I think the multipliers come into play when you start using the more advance modules which are bigger and more high tech. I especially like the rotating centrifuge habitats. The largest one holds 60 crew, has a x3 multiplier and adds an extra 100++ habitations months on top of the 60 months from crew slots. That's pretty good!  

I have Jebediah in orbit of kerbin and for some reason he is flagged as tourist even though if i understand correctly he should be immune to that due to being orange kerbal. On top of that he still has plenty of supplies left, but 'hab' and 'home' have expired. I'm mostly confused because i thought the orange suit ones were supposed to be immune for all negative effects in order to have safe way to test out how things work etc. Any suggestions what is happening?

Mod version is 0.5.24.0 and KSP is 1.2.2

Edited by Lufnar

2 hours ago, Lufnar said:

I have Jebediah in orbit of kerbin and for some reason he is flagged as tourist even though if i understand correctly he should be immune to that due to being orange kerbal. On top of that he still has plenty of supplies left, but 'hab' and 'home' have expired. I'm mostly confused because i thought the orange suit ones were supposed to be immune for all negative effects in order to have safe way to test out how things work etc. Any suggestions what is happening?

Mod version is 0.5.24.0 and KSP is 1.2.2

That is no longer the default and hasn't been for quite some time. It has also been covered many times in this thread. 

It's something I noticed all across the forums. Even big and lengthy explanations (by modders themselves even) rarely find their way (as links) into the OP. I guess at some point it becomes to much work to update everything.

19 hours ago, ExplorerKlatt said:

That is no longer the default and hasn't been for quite some time. It has also been covered many times in this thread. 

Okay, it still says so in the OP so i'd say it was fair thing for me to assume it working that way. You say it's not the default, can i enable it somehow? I would prefer that while learning to work with the mod

Nvm, i think i found something on github

Edited by Lufnar

3 hours ago, Lufnar said:

Okay, it still says so in the OP so i'd say it was fair thing for me to assume it working that way. You say it's not the default, can i enable it somehow? I would prefer that while learning to work with the mod

Nvm, i think i found something on github

Green cube on toolbar at space center screen

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.