[1.12.x] USI Life Support

RoverDude

8 minutes ago, garwel said:

Is it by design that all the USI-LS containers for supplies and fertilizer have zero cost? They'll make a budget alternative to some structural parts!

Consumers reacted negatively to being charged for packaging, so the actual goods had to be made more expensive to cover the costs.

Just now, KerbMav said:

Consumers reacted negatively to being charged for packaging, so the actual goods had to be made more expensive to cover the costs.

Now, I've heard some particularly frugal kerbals get empty 2.5-m supplies containers for free and make them their home!

Hello,

For some reason the settings window for USI Life Support is not displaying properly. I cannot see the whole thing, so cannot change the desired settings. It also instructs to check the wiki for setting info, but there is no link, and so far I have not been able to find a wiki with this kind of information

Thanks

Edited by Omar X
Added URL link

31 minutes ago, Omar X said:

For some reason the settings window for USI Life Support is not displaying properly. I cannot see the whole thing, so cannot change the desired settings.

Have you changed the UI scale slider in the game's settings window?

31 minutes ago, Omar X said:

It also instructs to check the wiki for setting info, but there is no link, and so far I have not been able to find a wiki with this kind of information.

The USI-LS wiki is at: https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/USI-LS/wiki

Toying around with my selected mods once more I noticed that LS also adds a

MODULE  USI_ModuleFieldRepair

Can I completely remove it everywhere or is it also needed for the LS part?

Edited by KerbMav
finally able to check what it was named

CURRENT VERSION: 2.6

If anyone of you uses
(the mind-blowing awesome) Ven's Stock Part Revamp and (equally mind-blowing awesome) USI LS, here is the patch:

This patch does this:
- weight and cost of Micro and Small Inflatable HABs are matched (increased) against USI MKS Ranger minihab
- crew capacities for inflatable modules are zero for inflatable HABs until inflated, requires USI Animation module
- added approximated habitation time and habitation ability to three inflatable HABs and two crew cabins (1- and 10-man) using USI MKS Ranger minihab, stock crew cabin and (unrelated) Tokamak inflatable habitation module as references. Habitation function requires electricity, exactly like all other USI modules.
- added ability to act as Workshop for two crew cabins, exactly the same way as USI-LS applies this to stock crew cabin (Hitchhiker).
- added ability to act as Logistic consumer to HABs, similar to MKS Ranger minihab.

Patch requires USI LS, USI tools (USI Animation) and Ven's Stock Part Revamp.

2.6 changes (balancing):

1) Nerf of 1-kerbal hard can hab value. 5->4. Reason: Hab of 5 for 1 crew makes stock PPD-10 unattractive with its 21 at 4 crew.
El use is thus down accordingly.

2) Nerf of 10-man hard can hab value. 53->42.  Reason: Its 53 is correct by crew capacity, but incorrect by weight. 10-man weights 5t, where (4-man) PPD-10 weights 2.5t. If 10-man hab value is calculated by capacity, then it outclasses PPD-10 in all categories, so its calculated by weight instead of capacity - hence 42 ( 2x(of PPD-10) = 2x21 = 42 ).
That means one 10-man can weights same as two PPD-10, gives equal habitation times, but better 10 capacity instead of 8.
EL use is also down, its 2xof PPD-10 matching 2x habitation time.

3) Increase for 4t inflatable 10-kerbal habitat. 21->42. Reason: doubled to match 10-kerbal hard can version.
Advantage of inflatable is a lower weight (4t vs 5t), but it must be inflated and provides no workshop ability.
EL use is also up and same as 10-man can with same habitation time as above.

4) Decrease of EL for 1-kerbal and 2-kerbal inflatables. Reason: recalculated using PPD-10 LS EL value to 5 and 10 hab value correspondingly.

Spoiler

@PART[MicroInflatableHAB]
{
    @mass = 1.0
    @cost = 350
    @entryCost = 6000

@CrewCapacity = 0

-MODULE[ModuleAnimateGeneric] {}

MODULE
	{
		name = USIAnimation
		deployAnimationName = TentInflate
		inflatable = true
		CrewCapacity = 1
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleLifeSupport
	}

MODULE 
	{
		name = ModuleHabitation
		BaseKerbalMonths = 5
		CrewCapacity = 0
		BaseHabMultiplier = 0
		ConverterName = Habitat
		StartActionName = Start Habitat
		StopActionName = Stop Habitat		
		INPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			ResourceName = ElectricCharge
			Ratio = 0.131
		}
	}	

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleWeightDistributableCargo
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = USI_InertialDampener
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = MKSModule
		BonusEffect = RepBoost
		ApplyBonuses = false
	}	

}

@PART[SmallInflatableHAB]
{
    @mass = 2
    @cost = 900
    @entryCost = 10000

@CrewCapacity = 0

MODULE
	{
		name = USIAnimation
		deployAnimationName = SmallHabInflate
		inflatable = true
		CrewCapacity = 2
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleLifeSupport
	}

MODULE 
	{
		name = ModuleHabitation
		BaseKerbalMonths = 10
		CrewCapacity = 0
		BaseHabMultiplier = 0
		ConverterName = Habitat
		INPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			Ratio = 0.262
		}
	}	

MODULE
	{
	}

MODULE
	{
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = MKSModule
		BonusEffect = RepBoost
		ApplyBonuses = false
	}	

}

@PART[InflatableHAB]
{
    @CrewCapacity = 0

MODULE
	{
		name = USIAnimation
		deployAnimationName = LargeHabInflate
		inflatable = true
		CrewCapacity = 10
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleLifeSupport
	}

MODULE 
	{
		name = ModuleHabitation
		BaseKerbalMonths = 42
		CrewCapacity = 0
		BaseHabMultiplier = 0
		ConverterName = Habitat
		INPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			Ratio = 1.05
		}
	}	

MODULE
	{
	}

MODULE
	{
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = MKSModule
		BonusEffect = RepBoost
		ApplyBonuses = false
	}

}

/// DO NOT CONFUSE, this is not "INFLATABLE" part. Its a 10-crew HARD can, similar to Hitchhiker.
/// located in Large_Hard_Hab.cfg. Values approximated using LSModule.cfg/crewCabin

@PART[LargeInflatableHAB]
{

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleLifeSupport
	}

MODULE 
	{
		name = ModuleHabitation
		BaseKerbalMonths = 42
		CrewCapacity = 10
		BaseHabMultiplier = 0
		ConverterName = Habitat
		INPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			Ratio = 1.05
		}
	}	

MODULE
	{
		name = USI_ModuleFieldRepair
	}	
}

// one-man crew cabin without any controls. NOT a landing can.

@PART[KerbCan]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleLifeSupport
	}

MODULE 
	{
		name = ModuleHabitation
		BaseKerbalMonths = 4
		CrewCapacity = 1
		BaseHabMultiplier = 0
		ConverterName = Habitat
		INPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			Ratio = 0.210
		}
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = USI_ModuleFieldRepair
	}

}

I would appreciate if @RoverDude integrates them into USI mod :)
I will link to this post from Stock Revamp too.

Edited by Kerbal101
updated to version 2.6

On 5.8.2017 at 0:15 PM, KerbMav said:

Toying around with my selected mods once more I noticed that LS also adds a

MODULE  USI_ModuleFieldRepair

Can I completely remove it everywhere or is it also needed for the LS part?

This string enables Workshop ability for the part, if USI MKS is installed (or GroundConstruction, which is also embedded in USI MKS).

4 minutes ago, Kerbal101 said:

This string enables Workshop ability for the part, if USI MKS is installed (or GroundConstruction, which is also embedded in USI MKS).

So, I can remove it safely should I only use USI LS?

@KerbMav It has no effect if MKS or GroundSupport are not present. I don't know why would you want to remove them - they'll be ignored.

@goldenpsp I would really appreciate, if you'd be so kind to submit this to Roverdude's pull list. Currently I don't have github account and I will be making one, but right now my own account management ... needs to be managed and is a mess.

2 minutes ago, Kerbal101 said:

@KerbMav It has no effect if MKS or GroundSupport are not present. I don't know why would you want to remove them - they'll be ignored.

While messing with other mods config files I stumbled across instances where e.g. temporary values were removed to save on log spam. So I gather anything that does not have to be there should go.

23 minutes ago, Kerbal101 said:

@goldenpsp I would really appreciate, if you'd be so kind to submit this to Roverdude's pull list. Currently I don't have github account and I will be making one, but right now my own account management ... needs to be managed and is a mess.

not any time soon. I'm not at a computer for awhile.  I'm sure there is no major rush as it won't show up until the next usi-ls release and I haven't seen any indication that one is coming soon.

It must've been reported before, but just in case... If a vessel with kerbals has no Supplies (i.e. they are "starving") and it docks with another vessel, the "starvation timer" resets back to 15 days.

20 minutes ago, garwel said:

It must've been reported before, but just in case... If a vessel with kerbals has no Supplies (i.e. they are "starving") and it docks with another vessel, the "starvation timer" resets back to 15 days.

If you want it to count I'd check the github issues list, and if it isn't there go ahead and add one.  It will likely get lost in the shuffle here.

1 hour ago, NomenNescio said:

Quick Question, I don't see any way to turn mulch into fertilizer? It seems the only way to produce fertilizer is by converting ore and water, is that right?

With just USI-LS the mini ISRU will convert ore to fertilizer. If you have MKS then you can also make fertilizer from gypsum or minerals (or dirt using via the sifter to get gypsum/minerals).

Fertilizer + Mulch => Supplies, so changing mulch into fertilizer would defeat the purpose of having it as an additional requirement.

4 hours ago, NomenNescio said:

Quick Question, I don't see any way to turn mulch into fertilizer? It seems the only way to produce fertilizer is by converting ore and water, is that right?

Put this into a .cfg file in your gamedata folder. It lets you distill Fertilizer from Mulch at a steep ratio in the Mobile Lab.

My ingame logic:
You loose biomass in the process by pulling out all the nutrients in a bucket of Mulch to use them as Fertilizer. It can extent the time you are able to produce food, but it lowers the amount of Supplies/Mulch on the ship/station until you have none left.
Also, never let it run for to long, or else it will grab all Mulch and your kerbonauts will sit on a pile of unedible Fertilizer!

@PART[Large_Crewed_Lab]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleResourceConverter_USI
		ConverterName = Compost
		StartActionName = Start Distilling Mulch
		StopActionName = Stop Distilling Mulch

INPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			ResourceName = Mulch
			Ratio = 0.025
		}
		INPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			Ratio = 30
		}
		OUTPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			ResourceName = Fertilizer
			Ratio = 0.0025
			DumpExcess = False
		}
	}	
}
Edited by KerbMav

20 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

I do not recommend converting mulch into fertilizer - it bypasses mechanics that are there by design, and can also cause unpredictability because you have competing, dependent converters.

I only put it into my game as a last ditch effort should I run out of fertilizer, very well aware of the fact that it takes biomass out of the circulation and will only prolong the inevitable - as well as risking to convert all mulch and having nothing left to grow new supplies from.
(I guess you wouldn't like my patch that lets you breed nuclear fuel from depleted uranium neither? :wink: )

@NomenNescio So, you have hereby been warned multiple times - tread mod lightly! :D

52 minutes ago, NomenNescio said:

What is this warning of which you speak? I see a few explanations, that make perfect sense BTW, but talk of warnings make me nervous :sealed:

Good ... :wink:

This patch of mine basically breaks the system/logic that RoverDude designed.

(Ratios might be off, I am working from memory here!)

You have a ship with 100 Supplies and 10 Fertilizer. The crew will munch the Supplies into an equal amount of 100 Mulch.
Your orbital vegetable garden will turn 10 Mulch and 1 Fertilizer into 11 Supplies, so the amount of M+S+F stays the same at first, but Fertilizer being the limiting factor for how long you can repeat the cycle of Kitchen-Kerbal-Karden (sorry...).

Now, if we use Mulch to create Fertilizer, we reduce the amount of available biomass in the cycle (my patch converts 10M to 1F) and if we keep doing it long enough we will have nothing left - or, if we let the Fertilizer production run for to long unobserved, we end up with a ship full of inedible Fertilizer and kill our crew even before the Supplies had run out had we done nothing.

It also reduces the maximum mission time basically, as when the Fertilizer runs out, there are still the Supplies left - but if some of the Mulch has been used to make Fertilizer, the remaining amount of (self produced) Supplies will be lower since there was less Mulch to produce them from.

I only intended it to be available to me should the need arise during a mission far away, should I desperately need Fertilizer to get to a place where I can resupply either of the resources.
("Spock, we have to do something, do you have any ideas?!" - "Of course, Captain, basic chemistry will safe us.")

Edited by KerbMav

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.