[1.12.x] USI Life Support

RoverDude

19 hours ago, RoverDude said:

'Back of the envelope' extended hab and life support numbers based on Colony Supplies / Fertilizer.  These stats assume the use of the standard USI balance figures and adequate converter capacity.
Removed hard-coded time values

What does that mean exactly?
Does it assume - based on available Fertilizer - that all Mulch gets converted into Supplies at as fast as crew consuming them, i.e. without checking the actually available converters?

3 hours ago, KerbMav said:

What does that mean exactly?
Does it assume - based on available Fertilizer - that all Mulch gets converted into Supplies at as fast as crew consuming them, i.e. without checking the actually available converters?

It just means that it assumes that 1 fertilizer will eventually become 10 supplies.  This is informational only for use in the VAB to help people do some of the math we've normally just done in our heads.

2 hours ago, danielboro said:

related q
what happens if mulch+ Fertilizer => Supplies  is not inaf to feed the crew?
crew is using Supplies but acts as if dont have any / dont use Supplies until thers inaf / use Supplies and is ok whit it?

If there are no supplies... the crew starves.  No change on that front.

2 hours ago, RoverDude said:

If there are no supplies... the crew starves.  No change on that front.

hopefully not for very long, as there supplies are being produced(although if some of the kerbals are greedy and do not share, I could see some going tourist while others are perfectly happy)

I recently installed this mod, only to find out that one kerbal consumes 43.2kg of supply per earth day. How is that possible.

I just think it's reaaaaaaaaally difficult to perform a manned mission in a real-scaled system with USI-LS installed.

And of course the colonization part

28 minutes ago, Iso-Polaris said:

I recently installed this mod, only to find out that one kerbal consumes 43.2kg of supply per earth day. How is that possible.

I just think it's reaaaaaaaaally difficult to perform a manned mission in a real-scaled system with USI-LS installed.

And of course the colonization part

it has been explained before. And possibly on the wiki. Keep in mind "supplies" are far more than "food"

https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/USI-LS/wiki/FAQ

Edited by goldenpsp

Most of supplies are water - for drinking, hygeine, etc. 

If you're scaling everything up, feel free to alter values accordingly.  They were designed for a six hour Kerbal day.  Also... use recyclers.  Or your life is going to be REALLY hard.

1 hour ago, Iso-Polaris said:

Still too much for a oversized system, I change it in setting but no effect

The settings cfg is what new saves start with.

To change your current game's settings, open the USI LS options in the space center view.

19 hours ago, Iso-Polaris said:

Well, yes. Look at the paucity of manned missions beyond low orbit in the other real-scaled system that we all know. For what it's worth, I think mounting a manned mission in upscale USI-LS/MKS is still considerably easier than a fully-realistic simulation would be - no breakdowns, know which spares will be needed, know in advance the performance of your equipment on worlds you haven't visited yet - and I don't normally mod the USI-LS settings beyond swapping capsule monopropellant for the equivalent mass of supplies.

• 2 weeks later...

I encountered a minor issue with this wonderful mod. 

The part "Viewing Cupola" has a crew capacity of 1 but doesn't have a hatch. Does anyone know of a way to stop the game from using this part when generating rescue missions?

doing a rendezvous with a stranded Kerbal just to find him unable to go EVA always makes me sad. 

Edited by Physics Student

4 minutes ago, Physics Student said:

I encountered a minor issue with this wonderful mod. 

The part "Viewing Cupola" has a crew capacity of 1 but doesn't have a hatch. Does anyone know of a way to stop the game from using this part when generating rescue missions?

doing a rendezvous with a stranded Kerbal just to find him unable to go EVA always makes me sad. 

4 hours ago, dboi88 said:

@RoverDude, would you consider adding a link to and brief mention of the rescue pod validator to the OP? Not everyone will see it, but some will. It might even get some people to install it BEFORE they run into this issue. 

@Physics Student

Be advised that the rescue pod validator won't change the pods from any existing contracts (I think that includes contracts that are offered but not yet accepted) but will stop bad contracts from generating going forward.

Anyone other than me having the problem, that the Supplies calculation in the VAB is wrong as soon as one adds a Kerbitat and switches it to something other from recycler?

So, MK1-2 Pod, 2,5m Life Supply Tank => 138d for 3 kerbals.

Now add a 2,5m Kerbitat => 1y 304d,

Now switch the Kerbitat to Hab Common => It stays at 1y 304d.

USI LS version is 0.6.2.0.

Quick question.  It was mentioned here couple weeks ago, that kerbals who became tourists are immune to starvation/EC loss. Is this still the case or am I doing something wrong ? If it is, is there a way to change that ?

Thank you very much.

2 hours ago, JimRex said:

Quick question.  It was mentioned here couple weeks ago, that kerbals who became tourists are immune to starvation/EC loss. Is this still the case or am I doing something wrong ? If it is, is there a way to change that ?

Thank you very much.

I'm not sure I understand the question.  Yes one of the settings is that the "punishment" for loss of lifesupport is turning into Tourists.  Therefore tourists are the result of starvation or EC loss.  It wouldn't make sense for them to also be affected by starvation or EC loss.

You can change the setting to death instead.

51 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

I'm not sure I understand the question.  Yes one of the settings is that the "punishment" for loss of lifesupport is turning into Tourists.  Therefore tourists are the result of starvation or EC loss.  It wouldn't make sense for them to also be affected by starvation or EC loss.

You can change the setting to death instead.

Imagine this situation: you Kerbals go on a strike because of homesickness, they transform into tourists. Your ship runs out of supplies. Kerbal toursits don't die of starvation/EC loss even after 15 days,... even after a year.

You can now return to Kerbin or a resupply station and turn them back to normal without any repercussions.

Settings used:

-NoHomeEffect - Grouchy

-Death on anything else

42 minutes ago, JimRex said:

Imagine this situation: you Kerbals go on a strike because of homesickness, they transform into tourists. Your ship runs out of supplies. Kerbal toursits don't die of starvation/EC loss even after 15 days,... even after a year.

You can now return to Kerbin or a resupply station and turn them back to normal without any repercussions.

Settings used:

-NoHomeEffect - Grouchy

-Death on anything else

Yep, that's probably not a combination of issues that was originally considered.

I've been looking at TAC LS and USI LS for a bit now.I tried TAC LS , but it feels too easy and overall pretty simple (since it doesn't take into account mental health and other more complex stuff) , so I decided to try USI LS with the Kolonization expansion (since I still want to colonize Mars).I have two questions : Is there a in-depth tutorial (possibly not outdated) and is this mod calibrated for a 24 hrs day (RSS/RO)?

5 hours ago, Mr. Sandman said:

Is there a in-depth tutorial (possibly not outdated) and is this mod calibrated for a 24 hrs day (RSS/RO)?

USI mods have been changing fairly often of late.  There is a wiki at https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/wiki.  I can't comment authoritatively on its currency although I believe it's close.  Stock MKS is calibrated for 6 hr days.  I don't know if there's a patch for RSS/RO,.

3 hours ago, Brigadier said:

USI mods have been changing fairly often of late.  There is a wiki at https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/wiki.  I can't comment authoritatively on its currency although I believe it's close.  Stock MKS is calibrated for 6 hr days.  I don't know if there's a patch for RSS/RO,.

You are right about the stock calibration, but all settings are reachable from the settings screen at the space center. You can just divide/multiply the necessary settings by four easily enough -- no patch needed.

At least that is how I have done it in my RSS game.

7 hours ago, Mandella said:

You are right about the stock calibration, but all settings are reachable from the settings screen at the space center. You can just divide/multiply the necessary settings by four easily enough -- no patch needed.

At least that is how I have done it in my RSS game.

Yeah because I noticed my Kerbals were using enormous quantities of food for a  500 days trip (well they are big anyways , but I needed enormous containers)Thank for the tip , I'll try the x4 thing.

Edited by Mr. Sandman

8 hours ago, Brigadier said:

huh, not really :)  Things have been (intentionally) very stable.

And yep, wiki is the place to go.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.