[1.12.x] USI Life Support

RoverDude

@RoverDude I am using KSP 1.3.0 and USI-LS release v0.6.2.0 and when in the space center scene opening the settings window results in NRE spam and no options to adjust. Things seem to be working elsewhere, however I would like to make adjustments to resource consumption as I am playing in an up-scaled system. I would like to update to 1.3.1 however I run a heavily modded install and a number of mods are not updated yet. I have tested in an entirely fresh install with only stock and USI-LS and the issue is there, log can be found here.

Is there any chance that this can get fixed and an update for 1.3.0 made? Or am I just S.O.L.?

Edit:

I checked and I am seeing the same issue with USI-LS v0.6.1.0 and v0.6.0.0 as well :huh: am I doing something wrong here? I didn't see any comments with people having similar issues....

Edit2:

I downloaded KSp 1.3.1 and USI-LS v0.7.0.0 and am having the same issue... here are logs, a screen and a screen shot of my Game Data folder

Not sure what I am doing wrong here...

Edited by Akira_R

4 hours ago, RoverDude said:

@Akira_R - What USI Tools version?  

On the 1.3.1 install I initially used the bundled USI tools (v0.10.0.0), I then downloaded the 0.10.1.0 version and was seeing the same behavior using both versions.

On the 1.3.0 install I believe I have the latest release for 1.3.0 (I have the full AVC and it wasn't telling me there was an update) but I'll have to double check when I get home.

Edited by Akira_R

2 hours ago, Eklykti said:

IIRC i had such problem when just entering space center scene. But if you switch to another scene, like tracking station or VAB (R&d or Mission Control probably won't work), and return back to space center, it works.

I've definitely gone into VAB and back and still had the issue but I haven't tried launching something, and then going to look a the settings.

@RoverDude Will do once I'm home

@RoverDude I PMed you with the save file, it looks like none of the USI-LS stuff is in there, however after @Eklyktis suggestion I checked and switching scenes does nothing, however I launched a crewed vessel and then switched to the space center and now the settings menu opens properly and the NREs are gone.

9 minutes ago, 123nick said:

hey, is it this mod or MKS that adds kerbals refusing to do work- homesickness? 

This mod.

5 minutes ago, Draconomial said:

What should the average lifespan of a healthy Kerbal be?

Up for debate I suppose :)  Tho I would lean towards somewhere between 50 and 75 years.  

18 minutes ago, 123nick said:

ok, any way to counterract it? because when my kerbals are off duty , the life support thingy seems to be disabled, and so they intake supplies double quick. 

Sorry, I don't understand what you are saying.

5 hours ago, 123nick said:

ok, any way to counterract it? because when my kerbals are off duty , the life support thingy seems to be disabled, and so they intake supplies double quick. 

Are you suggesting that when your Kerbals become tourists that they ignore the life support efficiency parts and are eating all of your supplies?

Is there any control on the vessel at all, like a probe core?

Is it possible that the efficiency parts got turned off or ran out of power?  (I forget if they automatically turn back on when power comes back online)

8 hours ago, RoverDude said:

This mod.

Up for debate I suppose :)  Tho I would lean towards somewhere between 50 and 75 years.  

I could see several different approaches. For stock, a reduced (from human norm) life cycle might be appropriate. Maybe only 25 - 30 years.

But for those of us who like RSS, emulating the human norm would of course be preferred.

And I realize that travelling too far down this road leads to madness. After all, Kerbals spring to life in Kolonization fully adult and ready to go -- should we not provide a childhood for them? Perhaps then school and college? Personally, I'm okay with skipping that part of the Kerbal Sim, but it could be argued that the total life expectancy be equivalently reduced so that the active productive Kerbal life even in RSS might only be 30 - 45.

Or just say screw it and let the end user choose...

Edited by Mandella

I've always thought it would be nice to have a nursery module of some sort that is required for making kerbabies where you can control birth rates. Seems that it would be fairly trivial to just add another specialization called Child for Kerbals who aren't old enough to work yet. It would also be nice to add a mechanism to the academy module that allows the player to setup ratios for the types of specializations you want in your colony that affect what job children take when they become adults. Would make the academy a more relevant part of a base, IMO.

35 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

Just out of curiosity, how many people generally manage to play saves spanning 50+ years?

If you're playing with something like the Galileo Planet Pack and have it setup as a second solar system, saves easily expand well past 50 years if you aren't using warp drives of some sort. I believe it's about a 200 year journey from the Kerbol system to the Ciro system.

42 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

Just out of curiosity, how many people generally manage to play saves spanning 50+ years?

It's actually not that hard to do, even if you aren't exploring extra solar. I like to set up extended future history timelines and colonize the solar system from scratch. That sort of project can take a while!

But another thing to consider is that, if life spans are going to be implemented, we shouldn't assume that all new hires are going to be fresh out of the nursery. They'd already have an age, and that becomes another something to watch out for even in a campaign that only runs a few years. Don't necessarily want to send old Bill out to Jupiter if he's pushing retirement! Best to keep him close to home in the LEO spacelab.

10 minutes ago, DoktorKrogg said:

If you're playing with something like the Galileo Planet Pack and have it setup as a second solar system, saves easily expand well past 50 years if you aren't using warp drives of some sort. I believe it's about a 200 year journey from the Kerbol system to the Ciro system.

Just now, Mandella said:

It's actually not that hard to do, even if you aren't exploring extra solar. I like to set up extended future history timelines and colonize the solar system from scratch. That sort of project can take a while!

But another thing to consider is that, if life spans are going to be implemented, we shouldn't assume that all new hires are going to be fresh out of the nursery. They'd already have an age, and that becomes another something to watch out for even in a campaign that only runs a few years. Don't necessarily want to send old Bill out to Jupiter if he's pushing retirement! Best to keep him close to home in the LEO spacelab.

I'm sure there are cases where it makes it easier to happen.  But that wasn't my question.  I know that personally I've never stuck with one save for that long.  When watching @RoverDude's career streams they are never that long.  And his are probably the most critical, since this is his mod and he generally puts in features "he" wants in his mods.

Just playing a little devils advocate here.  While it's an interesting mechanic, it comes down to whether it gets added to the core of USI-LS or made as an addon.  Really it comes down to whether Roverdude decides he wants the feature or if someone else decides to make something out of it.

17 hours ago, goldenpsp said:

Do you know how much time does a round trip to Plock from OPM take? It's 100 years. Same with GPP outer planets. If you're playing with a non-stock planet pack and want to properly explore it, your save is pretty much guaranteed to exceed 50 years.

Edited by sh1pman

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.