[1.12.x] USI Life Support

RoverDude

hi Roverdude. Sorry, I don't usually bother modders but I couldn't find the answer anywhere:

I just installed USI LS on 1.4.1, and sent jeb up in orbit in a capsule with a few Mini-packs, but he's starving and won't touch the things. He's wearing the non-orange suit so maybe that's one thing, but how do I make him eat the mini packs and return home? is this a 1.4.1 thing or did the mini packs go bad?

I sent val up to help but then realized she aint no engineer (just installed kis/kas too). 

What a mess

thanks for any help!

On 3/17/2018 at 3:14 PM, Z4ys said:

Does currently USI LS and MKS work with 1.4.1 ?

The latest versions are explicitly for 1.4.1

On 3/17/2018 at 5:57 PM, xjames said:

hi Roverdude. Sorry, I don't usually bother modders but I couldn't find the answer anywhere:

I just installed USI LS on 1.4.1, and sent jeb up in orbit in a capsule with a few Mini-packs, but he's starving and won't touch the things. He's wearing the non-orange suit so maybe that's one thing, but how do I make him eat the mini packs and return home? is this a 1.4.1 thing or did the mini packs go bad?

I sent val up to help but then realized she aint no engineer (just installed kis/kas too). 

What a mess

thanks for any help!

This may be a stupid question, but are you sure you have the Supplies minipak? There's one for Mulch and one for Fertilizer as well.

I'm running 1.4.1 with the latest USI-LS and don't have any issues.

1 hour ago, notthebobo said:

The latest versions are explicitly for 1.4.1

This may be a stupid question, but are you sure you have the Supplies minipak? There's one for Mulch and one for Fertilizer as well.

I'm running 1.4.1 with the latest USI-LS and don't have any issues.

I'm pretty sure I picked the right minipack. 

In any case I researched the grabber, grabbed Jeb's ship and thankfully was able to transfer him to the rescue ship which had edible supplies. 

there are two MDB files in the ZIP file.  Windows is preventing me from unarchiving them.  In fact, the stupid POS is blocking all files after the MDB files.  I've tried turning off Defender as well as going into the Control Panel.  Still blocked.  Win 10 considers MDB files to be Windows database files.

1) are the MDB files necessary?

2)  How can I get Win 10 and/or Defender to allow me to unarchive them?

I flipping HATE Windows when it tries to protect me.

Any help, links to websites, etc., would be appreciated.  I've been able to unarchive the other file in the ZIP by dragging them to a folder.  I never had this problem before.

Edited by Apollo13

I just went into defender on my win10 system and added an exception to the scan locations.   I run KSP from a directory on my SSD so I added this directory to the exception list.  now anything I add to the KSP play directory will not be scanned.  this is a bit dangerous obviously as I need to be sure I do not place any malware in there by mistake.  but it does get defender to stop complaining abut things in my KSP directory.

Thank you for the quick responses.  I also added MDB files and the KSP directory to the Exceptions.  Still, no joy.  So, I just removed the MDB files from the archive files.

Edited by Apollo13

On 3/21/2018 at 7:52 AM, RoverDude said:

Windows Defender has been a bit... aggressive lately.

I ran into this same issue with another mod a couple months ago. Downloading the source and compiling it myself seemed to get Defender to stop complaining. So this may just naturally work itself out in the next release.

I'll do some troubleshooting when I can for a better bug report - but the settings window is always blank for me.  1.4.1 with the latest USI-LS.  The USI-LS window appears to work in other scenes, from the main KSC screen where I should be able to configure the settings, I just get a blank grey box.

I may have found an issue that exists betweeMKS and the USI Life support

Ap

and here are the versions I am using..

MKS 5.50 and LS 0.9.0.0

WHen I get to installing first the MKS , everything seems to come up with the construction  ports, Rover parts and even the logistics and what not..

But the moment I install USI LS, the tabs on those parts disappear and the LS is the only thing that remains..

(Plus I get an error message where it says that the Consturciton ports no longer work and any vehicle with said parts, gets removed or is deemed inbapable of working..

and yes I am using 1.41 with both.. (as well as Module Manger 3.0.6...

Now from what I figure this is either between the following sections

00_USI Tools

Community Category Kit (CCK)

Community Resource Pack (CRP)

Unbra Space Industries..

(I know that it can't be Ground Construction nor Firespitter as these are seperate mods it appears..)

(Also if I can reporduce said error again, I'll post it up..

Space_Coyote

21 hours ago, Space_Coyote said:

I may have found an issue that exists betweeMKS and the USI Life support

WHen I get to installing first the MKS , everything seems to come up with the construction  ports, Rover parts and even the logistics and what not..

But the moment I install USI LS, the tabs on those parts disappear and the LS is the only thing that remains..

(Plus I get an error message where it says that the Consturciton ports no longer work and any vehicle with said parts, gets removed or is deemed inbapable of working..

That sounds like your USI folder is being cleared when you install life support instead of just having new folders added to it.

I would suggest reinstalling and make sure you select merge, and if that is not an option, you may need to copy the contents of each of the USI sub-directories manually so that your OS does not step on the old stuff when adding new stuff.

9 hours ago, Terwin said:

That sounds like your USI folder is being cleared when you install life support instead of just having new folders added to it.

I would suggest reinstalling and make sure you select merge, and if that is not an option, you may need to copy the contents of each of the USI sub-directories manually so that your OS does not step on the old stuff when adding new stuff.

DId the merge as suggested and in fact that did the trick.. Seems that is the work around if you use MKS and LS togehter.. Merge them.. an let it replace the files ..9And again thanks for the suggestions... So folks, Do what the previous poster side.. Merge them.

Space_Coyote

On 3/26/2018 at 8:36 PM, Space_Coyote said:

DId the merge as suggested and in fact that did the trick.. Seems that is the work around if you use MKS and LS togehter.. Merge them.. an let it replace the files ..9And again thanks for the suggestions... So folks, Do what the previous poster side.. Merge them.

Space_Coyote

Just be careful when updating to newer versions, as you do not want random files from previous versions causing odd behavior.

I'm trying to understand where the EC number is coming from, make sure that my USI:LS is working properly, and determine to what extent the EC number on the Life Support Status panel can be ignored.

I have a mun base with 4650 EC available (4x 400 batteries, 2 Duna modules with 1000 each, 1 ranger power pack, one mk1 command pod). That base has 4 solar panels and a scout-200 power pack. Enough power to meet all of it's EC demands both in the day and night. My Life Support Status panel shows only 2 days of life support and indeed if I go over 2 days without refocusing the base, the life support panel shows out of EC and begins the 15 day count down till my kerbals go on strike. Increasing or decreasing electrical demand doesn't seem to change how long my EC will last. Turning on and off electric-consuming items such as the various habitats updates the LS panel with new habitation times/supply times, but doesn't impact the EC times. Nor does increasing or decreasing my electrical generation. If I remove the solar panels during the day, I still only seem to have 2d of EC. Adding/removing batteries does seem to effect it, roughly proportionally to the amount of battery power I add/remove.

Is this normal behavior? If so, am I missing something to increase my max EC beyond just increasing the amount of EC storage on site? This doesn't seem to be operating correctly to me for some reason. Are the EC calculations really not supposed to take into account any electrical generation/consumption and just be displaying an amount based on you max available EC?

Also, to what extent can this be ignored? My base actually has plenty of power. Will my base equipment (such as kerbitats, recyclers, etc...) continue to function normally when the LS panel's 2d2h runs out? Will my kerbals stay active and working when the LS panel 2d2h life support runs out? What about when the 15 days runs out?

@Darinth it is important to remember that the life support panel is not live data, it is only an estimate based on the storage at the time of your last visit and the life support demands of any kerbals on board.

If you have energy generation on your vessel, and EC is not draining when it is inside simulation range, then you should be pretty safe to ignore the EC part of the panel.

The actual calculations will not take place until the base undergoes catch-up processing the next time you visit it(just like the stock ISRU does).

The supplies and habitation numbers are generally of much more concern, but so long as you are producing fertilizer on-site and your supplies stay full when inside the simulation range, you can probably ignore the supplies portion as well.

The only times it is safe to ignore the habitation numbers are A) when you have both enough active colonization modules to cover your occupancy count and a surplus production of colony supplies over and above the consumption of your colonization modules and B) when you have sufficient hab time for 'indefinite' habitation on all kerbals(50+ years or 1+ years for pilots and when habitation is 500%+).

I knew the panel was a snapshot of it's predictions, I just wanted to make sure the USI wasn't actually going to take any actions based on those predictions. So as long as when I switch back to the colony/vessel and it performs it's catch-up processing everything is fine, EC and supplies displayed on the panel are functionally irrelevant.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.