[1.12.x] USI Life Support

RoverDude

USI-LS includes a small and large size "Nom-o-matic" greenhouse part that can convert the waste product (mulch) back into supplies. It is not lossless of course but it can extend your supplies without needing any MKS parts.

I can say as a long time TAC user that in practice I have found little gameplay difference switching to USI-LS. Whether my "food" containers have 1 item or 3 has not changed the overall gameplay.

thank you for the quick reply. I'm going to switch right now, the ability to be a little lazy while still needing to dedicate weight to life support was what I wanted. And it'll mesh better with mks.

I played with TAC for some time too, and I can agree that the simpleness of a single resource trumps the micromanagement of three, even if they're as obvious as air, food and water.

Assuming unmanned, fairly easy assuming you keep the TAC container parts and just scrub the DLL (or, better yet, use KAS/KIS to destroy any TAC-LS parts then just do a clean cutover)

If I just uninstall the whole TAC without destroying the parts on vessels, will it crash ? What of the command pods that have TAC resources but are not TAC-specific parts ?

If I just uninstall the whole TAC without destroying the parts on vessels, will it crash ? What of the command pods that have TAC resources but are not TAC-specific parts ?

The vessels with invalid parts will get deleted from your save without warning.

Do command pods count as invalid parts ?

Any part that no longer exists. For example if you remove the TAC-LS mod (and its parts) then any ship with a TAC container disappears. If it is just built in storage for a part (like a command pod) it just loses those resources.

Hi it would be gread to have a bigger fertilizer tank like 1,25 or 2,5 m with something like 500 units of fertilizer arround for the big greenhouse...

Btw. really nice mod!

Grab the MKS mod. You can install it and then remove the umbraspaceindustries\kolonization folder if you don't want all of the MKS stuff. The Kontainers go up to 5m which hold 160,000 fetrilizer.

I really like the idea of just 1 resource. As with TAC I usually end up using the mixed tanks always. Only thing that would be nice, is a way to figure out how long supplies will last in the VAB.

While a screen would be nice, it is roughly 1 supply per kerbal per day. So the math is pretty easy.

FYI - I pulled the Alpha tag given how pretty darn stable this has been :)

While there will be some extensions added (I have a few ideas), these are going to be done in ways that are 100% opt-in and also backwards compatible - and since each layer will add both depth as well as a constraint, they will be tagged off by default.

This should also make forward testing of new features a bit easier, keep everything nice and non-save breaking, and help folks test things out.

Mind teasing your ideas a bit? Something like an opt-in to split supplies into air/food/water?

said opt-in would be TAC-LS ;)

About the only split I'd consider would be breaking apart long-term supplies (food, toothbrushes, etc.) with short-term consumables (water/oxygen), only because you can extract the latter in different ways than the former. But it's a slippery slope, depends on demand.

said opt-in would be TAC-LS ;)

About the only split I'd consider would be breaking apart long-term supplies (food, toothbrushes, etc.) with short-term consumables (water/oxygen), only because you can extract the latter in different ways than the former. But it's a slippery slope, depends on demand.

I would love this! I've been trying to think of a way that EVA could be made more stressful with this mod, and wasn't liking that there is no "oxygen running out" drama with it. I like this way of dealing with it. So you could make EVA use only short term supplies.

I would vote for this in a poll....

Sounds like a good idea. What happens when you run out of short-term consumables? What happens when you run out of long-term?

Are we going to have a floating 'health' value for each kerbal which is a combination of basic needs (short term supplies like air/water), creature comforts (food, living space, long term supplies, emotional health) and fitness (exercise)?

As long as it remains optional. I'll be the wet noodle here. I like this mod as it is. If I had wanted a more complex LS solution I would have suck with TAC, but I like the original take on this being the more "kerbaly" version of LS.

But like you said, if these options remain options then it helps please everyone.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.