[1.12.x] USI Life Support

RoverDude

My folder structure is slightly different than slick50. Instead of "Tanks" the folder is called "Parts, and I also have one "CTT.cfg" file and a text document ChangeLog.

Ways in which my experience was different than the video above when trying to replicate the exact same thing:

- I did not see a message that the Kerbal had died (maybe slick50 has CausesDeath = true?).

- When I EVA while looking at the mod window both timers start counting down (the pod and the Kerbal), not just the pod as shown in the video (Although the Kerbal data briefly flashes in his).

- My Kerbal didn't eat his greens and jump to the North pole.

Otherwise than that it was the exact same. I could EVA and control as much as I liked with starved Kerbal. I also changed the mission time to MET to see I was well past 15 days, and used the reaction wheels to see I had control of the ship.

Others notes:

I have MM version 2.6.3, he has 2.6.2.

The only mod I have in common with him (other than this) is Stage Recovery, I did try once without it and seen no fix.

Kerbals can Eva forever while starved I believe. They won't suffer any effects until they enter a ship at which point they will either eat, or go on strike if no supplies. That's the way I understand how it works. They don't take any supplies with them. Of course if you have death on they may die while out there I'm not sure. But I'm pretty sure there are no supplies used on Eva, because they don't take any with them like how TAC LS does.

As far as the kerbal flying off into some location I'm not sure that is a life support issue, I suppose it could be caused by it but I've seen weird things like that happen before.

so is the issue that they don't go on strike while on Eva? Or is there another issue you are having? You talked about Eva then about controlling ships so I'm not sure.

re: the video posted above, did Roverdude implement LS similar to TAC? Because TAC LS would not start on launchpads. Only once the craft was launched did the LS function start. Not sure if that's how USI LS is too.

Edited by Hevak

Kerbals can Eva forever while starved I believe. They won't suffer any effects until they enter a ship at which point they will either eat, or go on strike if no supplies. That's the way I understand how it works. They don't take any supplies with them. Of course if you have death on they may die while out there I'm not sure. But I'm pretty sure there are no supplies used on Eva, because they don't take any with them like how TAC LS does.

As far as the kerbal flying off into some location I'm not sure that is a life support issue, I suppose it could be caused by it but I've seen weird things like that happen before.

so is the issue that they don't go on strike while on Eva? Or is there another issue you are having? You talked about Eva then about controlling ships so I'm not sure.

re: the video posted above, did Roverdude implement LS similar to TAC? Because TAC LS would not start on launchpads. Only once the craft was launched did the LS function start. Not sure if that's how USI LS is too.

Yes that's how I understand it, from the frist post:

While on EVA, they will not quit. But if they are brought back aboard a ship and have been starved (and can't find a hot meal waiting) they will promptly go in strike, and begin their self imposed vacation immediately.

However, if they have reached the point of strike already that should stop them exiting (this is an assumption from me), so it's a way to test the functionality. Other things I did were wobble the controls and turn systems (SAS, lights, etc) on and off to check. The issue I'm having is there is no strike action happening in pods or anywhere, they continue as normal.

I considered that there may be a safety for when on the launch pad or Kerbal in general, so I did boost into a 500,000 KM orbit a few times (So I could use highest level of time-accelerate up there).

Kerbals under a 50km altitude on kerbin are not subject to life support penalties.

But they still happily munch through their supplies! :D

So one greenhouse can keep up with one mulching kerbal - but without the addition of the Kolonization mod their is no way to make self sustained colonies or is there?

So one greenhouse can keep up with one mulching kerbal - but without the addition of the Kolonization mod their is no way to make self sustained colonies or is there?

Am I mistaken in thinking that a Kerbal + a greenhouse + some food = infinite loop? I haven't tried it yet and see no documentation ;) but that's what "one greenhouse can keep up with one mulching Kerbal" means to me.

Edited by 5thHorseman

Am I mistaken in thinking that a Kerbal + a greenhouse + some food = infinite loop? I haven't tried it yet and see no documentation ;) but that's what "one greenhouse can keep up with one mulching Kerbal" means to me.
That would be incorrect.

Ah, I read it as "one greenhouse can use up the mulch of one Kerbal", but I assumed that there was some loss involved in the recycling process. :)

Ah, I read it as "one greenhouse can use up the mulch of one Kerbal", but I assumed that there was some loss involved in the recycling process. :)

In my try i need 2 greenhouse for 1 kerbal for have a 100% recycling, kerbal consume 0,0001 supplies/s and greenhouse recycle 0,00005 mulch/s and work in background , but probably roverdude can explain it better, what i don't see is the eletrical usage, sometimes seems positive otherwise negative :confused:

100 cans of supplies on the wall, 100 cans of supplies

Take them all down, pass them around, 100 cans of mulch on the wall.

100 cans of mulch in the greenhouse, 100 cans of mulch

Light 'em up in the Sun, Greenhouses are fun!, 50 cans of food on the wall.

50 cans of food on the wall, 50 cans of food....

So a Kerbal with 100 supplies and a greenhouse would get 100 + 50 + 25 + 12.5... = 200 supplies.

Kerbals under a 50km altitude on kerbin are not subject to life support penalties.

Just tried above 50km and it works. If You are sitting on lanch pad and eva it starts to countdown.

Update After mY pilot quits I eva and get this msg Tourists maY not disembark from the vessel.

Edited by slick50

I just freshly installed the mod and tried it with success in high orbit. I did try most of these things before, including in orbit and on the latest version of the mod and MM, but I guess nothing lined up correctly until now. Knowing that tests on Kerbin were useless was the important part.

I've usually considered remote tech as the way of not making probes op when using tac. Just wondering if you maybe had some more "kerbal" ideas about limiting probe use. Like maybe a simple needing of x antennas to use the probe out so far, or some kind of resource like machinery that gives probes a lifespan that's expandable (but not super renewable) and sorta like this ls mod is for kerbals?

I just freshly installed the mod and tried it with success in high orbit. I did try most of these things before, including in orbit and on the latest version of the mod and MM, but I guess nothing lined up correctly until now. Knowing that tests on Kerbin were useless was the important part.

:: face palm moment animation ::

@Roverdude

Have you thought up the resource consumption rate option yet? You did not answer me what the rate actually is.

I'm asking this because I would to see a proportional rate of the kind: one kerbal consumes 1 unit of supply per 1 kerbin day. This is simplify resource quantities and make calculation for humans easier when planning trips.

And then adjust the weight and price of that unit accordingly to what its supposed to be.

For example having 90 units of supplies = 90 days for one kerbal, or 30 days for 3, and so on. I haven't seen any reference for this yet in the thread.

Thought (and I'll probably do this with a modulemanager config anyway so if you don't like it, ignore it): Conversion of ore to mulch, perhaps with a pretty poor rate. The idea is that you can pull organics out of the ground to supply your base.

:: face palm moment animation ::

@Roverdude

Have you thought up the resource consumption rate option yet? You did not answer me what the rate actually is.

I'm asking this because I would to see a proportional rate of the kind: one kerbal consumes 1 unit of supply per 1 kerbin day. This is simplify resource quantities and make calculation for humans easier when planning trips.

And then adjust the weight and price of that unit accordingly to what its supposed to be.

For example having 90 units of supplies = 90 days for one kerbal, or 30 days for 3, and so on. I haven't seen any reference for this yet in the thread.

RoverDude mentioned that it is 1.08/kerbal/day, but I would like to say why it will likely not be changed to 1/kerbal/day. CRP and all the active mods supporting it just changed over to a 1 unit to 1 liter standard and while RD of course has no obligation to stick to that standard I think there would have to be a significant reason for him to consider going against that.

Not that I speak for RoverDude of course.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.