[1.12.x] USI Life Support

RoverDude

1 hour ago, RoverDude said:

Be careful.  Switching does not actually reset anything, it just changes one of the timers (the one based on your current vessel).  

But say, for instance, send a crew on a five year mission to Eeloo, but only have enough hab for 2 years on my main vessel. And I have a dockable command pod with a couple of RCS thrusters that I detach from the main vessel, transfer a couple Kerbals over to, then back to the main vessel. Then reattach the pod. Wouldn't that reset hab, allowing me to make the total journey just by doing that a couple of times? Currenly in the config, homesickness has no effect. I'd have to make homesickness have a consequence to eliminate exploits like that.

It also looks like if I leave a kerbal EVAed for more than 6 hours, she'll get grouchy. How do I rescue her at that point? Is grouchiness for EVA, hab, homesickness, and hunger tracked separately? I suppose I could just fire up the program, load a sandbox, and test this stuff out.

Anything on the issue with only one kerbal being displayed in the editor? I'm assuming everyone else is having the same issue, but if not, I'd like to provide any information I can to figure it out

2 hours ago, cantab said:

I might just knock up some custom configs to give certain parts lolhuge hab values. Basically my concept is that something big enough can effectively *be* "home" for the Kerbals on board.

I had a concept along the same lines for USI-LS, I don't think it's currently supported: Recognise a certain combination of parts in a single vessel as making it a second home, meaning that the Kerbals present (up to a limit) will have indefinite hab and home time. I'm imagining it would be used by the largest base and station parts, for example the stuff from Civilian Population would fit the bill, or UKS's upcoming Mk IV parts.

Actually, with the right scales, you quickly end up there anyway.  That being said, there will be provisions in the future for turning any calculated value past a certain threshold effectively 'home'.

1 hour ago, Mr Shifty said:

But say, for instance, send a crew on a five year mission to Eeloo, but only have enough hab for 2 years on my main vessel. And I have a dockable command pod with a couple of RCS thrusters that I detach from the main vessel, transfer a couple Kerbals over to, then back to the main vessel. Then reattach the pod. Wouldn't that reset hab, allowing me to make the total journey just by doing that a couple of times? Currenly in the config, homesickness has no effect. I'd have to make homesickness have a consequence to eliminate exploits like that.

It also looks like if I leave a kerbal EVAed for more than 6 hours, she'll get grouchy. How do I rescue her at that point? Is grouchiness for EVA, hab, homesickness, and hunger tracked separately? I suppose I could just fire up the program, load a sandbox, and test this stuff out.

Depends.  Bottom line is that unless you can get the hab vessel for each individual kerbal past that five year mark, you're kinda toast.  Because the home timer is based on when you left Kerbin, and it's starting point is never reset.

About the best you could do is do a LOT of shuffling and give each of your Kerbals the complete individual run of the ship long enough to reset the timer.  And that I am ok with, given the amount of gymnastics involved (and you're still a slave to the short term timer).

1 hour ago, ibanix said:

Is there a way to turn off the 'home' counter/effect but keep the 'hab' one?

No, the two go together, because if you turned off the home timer you could effectively last forever just by hopping from ship to ship, even if they were all tiny capsules, which I consider an exploit.

OK, I set the NoSupply and EVA effects to 5 (KIA) because that makes thematic sense; they starve/run out of air/cooling/whatever. I set Home to 2 (mutinous) because they go crazy. (I didn't realize that hab/home were the same effect.) I've got OPM installed, so it's going to be interesting figuring out how to make that work, but it really does make sense that Kerbals don't want to live in space for their whole lives. Challenge!

Hey RoverDude,

Enjoying your excellent mods, thanks for making those! :)

Have a question about Life Support though. My Kerbals seem to be OK as far as life support goes but they are refusing to work. See the screenshot below. What am I doing wrong here?

kerbal%20usi%20life%20support.png

Hope you can help me out!

Cheers,

Stealth

2 hours ago, Stealth17 said:

My Kerbals seem to be OK as far as life support goes but they are refusing to work. See the screenshot below. What am I doing wrong here?

Do you have electrical power available on your vessel?

And it seems that, like BTSM, the early game here is all EC management. A Hohmann transfer to the Mun is about 7.5 hours one way (though it's relatively cheap to make this significantly quicker.) 7.5 hours at 0.01 EC/kerbal/sec consumption for supply use is 270 EC for one kerbal and doesn't include time to do stuff at the Mun or the return trip. To send multiple kerbals means packing tons of batteries, at least until you've unlocked solar panels. (Engine generators mitigate the problem somewhat as well.) I could also just not supply them and they won't consume EC, but that seems like cheating.

I really like this actually. These are the kind of constraints that create emergent gameplay situations which require creative problem solving and/or make great narratives. I think I'm gonna reduce the no supply grace period to 3 kerbal days. I may create a MM config that adds supplies to stock command modules too, to force supply (and thus EC) consumption. (And it makes sense thematically that the command modules would be supplied, at least for a few days.)

Edited by Mr Shifty

Yeah, it's a bit confusing. A "recycler" doesn't actually convert mulch into supplies, it just reduces the rate of supplies conversion. The greenhouses on the other hand *do* convert mulch, and possibly fertilizer, into supplies but with some mass loss.

Roverdude have you thought of adding a dedicated recycler part to USI-LS? There's been discussion that the MPL is "overpowered" in terms of the science it can produce with the new mechanic that got added a couple of versions back (in 1.0 ?). Giving it the life support role makes it even more powerful for career or science players.

1 hour ago, cantab said:

Yeah, it's a bit confusing. A "recycler" doesn't actually convert mulch into supplies, it just reduces the rate of supplies conversion. The greenhouses on the other hand *do* convert mulch, and possibly fertilizer, into supplies but with some mass loss.

Roverdude have you thought of adding a dedicated recycler part to USI-LS? There's been discussion that the MPL is "overpowered" in terms of the science it can produce with the new mechanic that got added a couple of versions back (in 1.0 ?). Giving it the life support role makes it even more powerful for career or science players.

Maybe slightly off topic for here, but respectfully, just because some forum warriors cry overpowered doesn't actually make the MPL so.

Is there any way to make the processing facilities work autonomously and not having to focus the veichle I want to create supplies for? I just started using this mod and i'm testing it out before using it on my missions, and I tried making a small space station that could supply itself. It has plenty of resources to make supplies in its greenhouses, but it creates supplies at a slow rate, just a tiny bit faster than the Kerbals consume it, so I have "supplies" for 15 days, but if I could make the greenhouse work autonomously it could easily provide food for 100+ days.

39 minutes ago, Valkyria90 said:

Is there any way to make the processing facilities work autonomously and not having to focus the veichle I want to create supplies for? I just started using this mod and i'm testing it out before using it on my missions, and I tried making a small space station that could supply itself. It has plenty of resources to make supplies in its greenhouses, but it creates supplies at a slow rate, just a tiny bit faster than the Kerbals consume it, so I have "supplies" for 15 days, but if I could make the greenhouse work autonomously it could easily provide food for 100+ days.

Everything should work in the "background"  Keep in mind that most background processing usually just uses a "catch up" mechanic when you go back to a vessel.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.