[1.12.x] USI Life Support

RoverDude

1 hour ago, Jagzeplin said:

thanks for response. where can i find the documentation for this?

That was all learned from trial and error over the weekend. Some info is available in  the VAB. And some you need to figure out by launching vessels and seeing what happens. 

@RoverDude  Not sure if you have time to look into this issue. But their are conflicts with your mod and a very useful mod named Kerbal Space Transport Systems (KSTS).  Effectively, what's going on, is for some reason when using KSTS to deploy a ship into orbit using a SSTO recorded mission, the Kerbal switches to a tourist.

The owner of the mod -MM- has attempted to look for a solution but the problem seems to be in how the USI life support system wants to track a traditional launch to land mission, and has issue with the deploy directly to space situation.  He doesn't believe he can fix the problem from his end without adjusting your mod's code directly.

Both of your mod's are so good, I would love to continue to use them both.  Any chance you could look into the conflict and see if you can determine a solution?

Thanks,

Cheo

8 hours ago, Cheostian said:

@RoverDude  Not sure if you have time to look into this issue. But their are conflicts with your mod and a very useful mod named Kerbal Space Transport Systems (KSTS).  Effectively, what's going on, is for some reason when using KSTS to deploy a ship into orbit using a SSTO recorded mission, the Kerbal switches to a tourist.

The owner of the mod -MM- has attempted to look for a solution but the problem seems to be in how the USI life support system wants to track a traditional launch to land mission, and has issue with the deploy directly to space situation.  He doesn't believe he can fix the problem from his end without adjusting your mod's code directly.

Both of your mod's are so good, I would love to continue to use them both.  Any chance you could look into the conflict and see if you can determine a solution?

Thanks,

Cheo

I wouldn't hold your breath.  But as @RoverDude has said before he takes Pull requests if the mod author of KSTS wanted to look at the code and figure it out.

Sup everyone. I've grown tired of estimating and calculating the amount of stuff for my dear kerbals not to die, so I've made a nice little program in Java. If you insert the given values (like how many supplies, fertilizer, Nom-O-Matics does your ship have) and press calculate, it'll tell you the amount of days this config gives your crew. The reason I've made this thing is because  the "stock" calculation doesn't take the Nom-O-Matics into consideration. The calculation is not perfect of course, but for me it's accurate enough.

U can download the thing here.

If anyone needs the source code, just ask away!

What does "Crew affected" do for hab time?

I haven't played KSP in a while, but I seem to remember it used to give the full number of Hab days to the total number of crew affected, but now it doesn't seem to do that?

Like the 2.5m tundra Kerbitat is supposed to give you 20.5 months for 4 crew. But with 4 crew on my ship it only gives them 146 days each. (Which is about 5 months)

3 minutes ago, PilotMax said:

Would you let me see how this mod works for the purpose of making my own?

LICENSE:

Configuration files and code are licensed under the GPL v3 license.

Assets, including Models (*.mu) and Textures *.png/*.dds) are All Rights Reserved. If you wish to use any of these assets in your project, just ask nicely :)

The source is freely available to look at.  

On 10/26/2016 at 2:07 PM, goldenpsp said:

Yes Ultimately I blame the situation on squad.  I've said this in a support thread.  In my opinion the contract system should ONLY choose stock parts by default, and there should be a config option that would allow modders to "opt in" their part.

@Shadowmage has your back:

8 hours ago, tater said:

@Shadowmage has your back:

Yea yea.  Not the point though.  And that isn't perfect.  While using KSP Rescue Pod Validator I have still gotten a contract to recover a kerbal and their debris.  They were in a part without a hatch (I think the malemute crew cab?  I would have to go back and look now).

Bottom line it doesn't change the fact that IMO that mod exists because of a failure on Squad's part.

1 hour ago, goldenpsp said:

Yea yea.  Not the point though.  And that isn't perfect.  While using KSP Rescue Pod Validator I have still gotten a contract to recover a kerbal and their debris.  They were in a part without a hatch (I think the malemute crew cab?  I would have to go back and look now).

Bottom line it doesn't change the fact that IMO that mod exists because of a failure on Squad's part.

Don't mean to go off topic -- but if you could post the details of that contract in the pod validator mods' thread I might be able to fix that up.  Seems possible that I missed a specific contract type (or two); the current implementation only covers the basic 'rescue' -- spawning in orbit inside the pod, but I suppose there are a few others involving parts+kerbals that I should look into.

And... back to your regularly scheduled topic.

Great mod, thanks. But are all the parts supposed to be squeezed into fuel tank category and show under life support at the same time? It happens for me and it's a bit messy... I checked the cfg file and all the part are "Category = none". So...wonder if it is a bug.

1 hour ago, Tony422 said:

Great mod, thanks. But are all the parts supposed to be squeezed into fuel tank category and show under life support at the same time? It happens for me and it's a bit messy... I checked the cfg file and all the part are "Category = none". So...wonder if it is a bug.

It should be "category=none". It will likely be fixed in the next release. Here's a patch in the meanwhile:

Hello people

I've noticed that the supplies grown in the farms are only updated when you switch to the ship. So it is possible to starve to death in a vessel that has enough food growing capabilies for the crew if you don't switch to the vessel for 15 days :0.0:

Is there any kind of fix for this? Because it breakes the reason to even use the Nom-O Matics, since their production is only accounted for in 0 warp and when you check on the ship.

Any ideas are welcome :)

I happen to be in a peculiar situation, and honestly can't tell whether it's a feature or a bug. Long story short, when 50% of my supplies run out, kerbals refuse to work, all the while consuming supplies. And these are the orange ones, mind you! Val, Bill and Bob. I could send a save but I run a bunch of mods as well. It could possibly be related to me warping at full time acceleration. Also, a useful bit of info, I'm trying to reach for minimus, and about as I reach apoapsis slightly behind the minimus orbit(10 days in), they all go on strike while having just about half the supplies left.

Edited by Plymouth

6 minutes ago, Plymouth said:

I happen to be in a peculiar situation, and honestly can't tell whether it's a feature or a bug. Long story short, when 50% of my supplies run out, kerbals refuse to work, all the while consuming supplies. And these are the orange ones, mind you! Val, Bill and Bob. I could send a save but I run a bunch of mods as well. It could possibly be related to me warping at full time acceleration. Also, a useful bit of info, I'm trying to reach for minimus, and about as I reach apoapsis slightly behind the minimus orbit(10 days in), they all go on strike while having just about half the supplies left.

Are you sure they aren't turning into tourists because of running out of hab time?

Also, by default, veteran (orange) kerbals are not immune to status effects.

I know this is not the mission report sub-forum, but I just ran into an awesome challenge I had to overcome while playing with USI-LS that didn't really merit its own thread in my opinion.

I had just launched a 2-Kerbal mission to Minmus with 200 supplies which gives 9.2 days of supply plus the 15 day grace period so 24.2 days, more than enough time.  I go off and do some LKO and Munar missions until Jeb and Bob reach Minmus's SOI.  As I am performing the orbital insertion, I notice they only have 5 days of supplies left which was odd since MET was only 10 days so they should have had 14 days worth of supplies.  (Not sure what happened there.)  Anyway, now I had a problem, because 5 days is not enough to do my planned operations at Minmus and still have supplies for the return trip so I threw together a resupply probe with a significant amount of excess deltaV and managed to launch with a Minmus encounter in only 3 days.  I'm looking forward to the rendezvous and capture maneuvers when it arrives.

So a big thank you to RoverDude for such an awesome mod and the inherent challenges that come with it!

Edited by BlkBltChemie

Looks like CTT.cfg needs updating for the new greenhouses (moves old parts to hydroponics, but not new ones) and the large recycler (not mentioned).
Easy fix though, this works for me:

@PART[LS_Tank_250]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]
{
    @TechRequired = enhancedSurvivability
}
@PART[LS_Tank_375]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]
{
    @TechRequired = enhancedSurvivability
}
@PART[USILS*Recycler]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]
{
    @TechRequired = recycling
}
@PART[USILS_Greenhouse*]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]
{
    @TechRequired = hydroponics
}
@PART[Fert_Tank*]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]
{
}
@PART[FertilizerMiniPack]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]
{
}
@PART[MulchMiniPack]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]
{
}
Edited by steve_v
Fixed (ish) .cfg, might as well share.

Hi! While designing and launching my first manned mission to Minmus, I have found this strange behaviour; the numbers for supplies and habitation are not coherent between the VAB and the launchpad

Lznfr1E.png

52eMgeT.png

This has been previously reported in this thread:

Am I missing something here? Habitation values of 9 days for three Kerbals on a Hitchhiker seem to be waaay low...

18 minutes ago, Kermanzooming said:

Hi! While designing and launching my first manned mission to Minmus, I have found this strange behaviour; the numbers for supplies and habitation are not coherent between the VAB and the Launchpad

Am I missing something here? Habitation values of 9 days for three Kerbals on a Hitchhiker seem to be waaay low...

Did you right-click the Hitchhiker and turn on habitation? USI-LS 0.5.0 added the requirement to "activate" habitation and hab multiplier parts, which then costs EC over time. The idea being that you can spend the EC when you need the hab time, and save it when you don't.

1 hour ago, Merkov said:

Did you right-click the Hitchhiker and turn on habitation? USI-LS 0.5.0 added the requirement to "activate" habitation and hab multiplier parts, which then costs EC over time. The idea being that you can spend the EC when you need the hab time, and save it when you don't.

That was it! Activating habitat increased the habitat value, although it's still different from the VAB value. Also the supplies number is higher on the launchpad than on the VAB...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.