[1.12.x] USI Life Support

RoverDude

1 minute ago, jd284 said:

I'd like to add to that the following: clearly the bug is that somehow the OldTrait is incorrectly changed to "Tourist" after thy get grouchy.

However you will only notice this after recovery when they don't turn back. But at this time the bug has already happened long ago and a save at that point wouldn't help finding the actual cause.

So you would also need to keep checking the persistence file for the OldTrait changing, and then submitting a save just before that happens and with instructions how to reproduce it.

(Please note, I'm not trying to give you extra work to do, just trying to save you from doing work to reproduce it and then only having a savegame where it's too late.)

You're right, that's some good advice, it could be a very tricky bug to hunt down. Not my idea of fun.

1 hour ago, dboi88 said:

You're right, that's some good advice, it could be a very tricky bug to hunt down. Not my idea of fun.

It's not terribly bad, if you version control your saves (e.g. in SVN) and/or use KAC (Kerbal Alarm Clock).  A quick "grep" of the save files every so often would tell you when it happens.

2 hours ago, cwal728 said:

If I had to guess Better Crew Assignments or (less likely imo) Diverse Kerbal Heads those were the only 2 mods I could think of which mess with kerbals.  I have uninstalled both and will run out the clock in a few to see.

EDIT: I found a way to fix the problem.  I went into my save file described on the wiki here to change my guys back to what they were (they were all scientists so it was easy).

I never had those add-ons.

2 minutes ago, FellipeC said:

I never had those add-ons.

It was mentioned this was a problem with an old trait bug within USI-LS itself so I'll just repair the problems as they come up with the save edit fix since it isn't that hard of a fix.

2 hours ago, cwal728 said:

It was mentioned this was a problem with an old trait bug within USI-LS itself so I'll just repair the problems as they come up with the save edit fix since it isn't that hard of a fix.

I managed to fix my Kerbals, unfortunatelly I did not remember what they are, so now they are all scientists.

At least now I know it's USI-LS itself, thanks

No, I think that bug just incorrectly resets hab when you go on EVA.

What you experience may be an intentional effect with MKS when you either

• have reached 500% Kolonization bonus or
  • have an active Colonization module with enough ColonySupplies

17 minutes ago, jd284 said:

No, I think that bug just incorrectly resets hab when you go on EVA.

What you experience may be an intentional effect with MKS when you either

• have reached 500% Kolonization bonus or
  • have an active Colonization module with enough ColonySupplies

thanks, this is a new game and i'm testing with a Mk1 capsule and Jeb...The hab/home timers are stuck at 7 days, 3 hours. If I time warp it goes down one second (or whatever the smallest time unit measured is) and then click back to 7 days, 3 hours again.

53 minutes ago, UkrKerman said:

Dear friends,

I have trouble with crew. After return on Kerbin they have status "Tourist". What can I do? It has never been before. See screenshot below.

708BA9B318482AE99D2A4DBCA792CD9D8387BB82

22 hours ago, cwal728 said:

EDIT: I found a way to fix the problem.  I went into my save file described on the wiki here to change my guys back to what they were (they were all scientists so it was easy).

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 2:05 PM, dboi88 said:

I assume you are suing the life support window in the VAB?

HhYxhWi.png

Using this button eRZfUPF.png

@rottielover, @dboi88 is correct that the Life Support window in the VAB is the best place to do that, but the screenshot doesn't include the very useful information that is usually at the bottom, which is the parts you have used and their Extra Time and Multiplier values.

Looking at the formula, you can get a feel for what is useful.  First is the max number of crew spaces, but it is then reduced by 1/4.  It can be pretty easy to use simple parts to create a lot of seats (like, 22), but that reduction means it has the least impact. Next is the Extra Time.  That is not reduced by anything and added directly to the (maxcrew*.25) result.  They are usually the Hab inflatables, from the small Rangers to the large Ring, and the Kerbitats.  They are configured with names like "Hab Quarters", or "Habitat".  When you add them to your vessel in VAB and set their mode, open the LS window and scroll to the bottom.  You will see the total extra time in the formula, and the individual components that supply that number.  Lastly, you see the Multiplier. That gives the opportunity for a large result, because it is a multiplier.  The biggest ones go to just over 5x and are inflatables and Kerbitats that are configured as "Hab Common".  By adding combinations of crew capacity, extra time, and multipliers, you can reach your goal.

Also note the denominator at the end. it increases with every kerbal you actually have resident, which means it lowers the entire numerator.  The fastest way to reduce hab/home duration is to fill up you vessel with Kerbals.  You will need to start thinking that you need to build a vessel that has capacity of 10 kerbals and filling it with 3 Kerbals (for example) if you need longer durations.

Hope that helps.

37 minutes ago, bounty123 said:

Pilots are immune to hab effects since a recent update.

Good point...just because they are immune to hab effects, does the mean the timer doesn't work? I'll have to try it tonight.

On 21.1.2017 at 2:40 PM, RoverDude said:

FYI - 0.5.20 is up.  

This fixes the recycler issue :)

It fixed the recyclers not being shared, but unfortunately it didn't fix #208, which is that recyclers don't operate while not focused (or rather during catch-up).

Basically this means recyclers are completely useless if you have more than one ship, because you can only have one focused and recyclers will stop for all other vessels.

This just killed Valentina, Bill and Bob ;.; even though they had enough Supplies and Fertilizer to last for over 20 days with 10 days left till rendezvous at Earth. But instead of the planned 27.2 supplies/day (24h mode) with the RT-5000 recycler they used 129.6/day and when I checked six days later they were all dead because the NOM 25000-I couldn't keep up with that rate of consumption.

I'd like to help debug this more but unfortunately I can't compile any Linq code for some reason (KSP will refuse to load the DLL).

Actually, I finally broke down and figured out why I couldn't compile anymore... since Ubuntu upgraded to Mono 4, compiling for .Net 3.5 is no longer supported... and KSP can't deal with 4.0 Linq. So I had to tear out the whole Mono and reinstall 3.12 from the archives. Oh well, now it works again.

So the weird thing is, when I compile the current USI-LS git source, the above bug doesn't happen. Also #212 is fixed as well. Just replacing USILifeSupport.dll and nothing else. Yet I can't see any changes between the 0.5.20 release and now.

Could it be the release somehow missed the last changes? Although that doesn't seem likely since it does fix the bug it was meant to fix (I think). So dependency issue maybe?

No idea where to go from here, although I'm quite happy Val no longer has to die. But if you have an idea how I can help, let me know.

Oh I see, that would make sense then. I was just looking at the release timestamps. In that case I guess these two bugs should already be considered fixed.

Too bad git can't track which commits went into a compiled DLL to easily see things like that.

On 1/26/2017 at 8:21 PM, jd284 said:

Too bad git can't track which commits went into a compiled DLL to easily see things like that.

There are tags in the repo, with same versions as those of releases. If they're correctly set, they should allow matching a DLL (from a release) with the commits present.

Edited by TauPhraim

The Life Support Status panel could really use a few improvements:

• Search box so I can search for a single kerbal, or vessel/base name
  • The default ordering should put vessels who are short on EC/supplies/hab/home at the top (and order the kerbals within that vessel by the same criteria)
  • Grouping kerbals within each vessel by part name.  With 10-20 kerbals on a vessel, it gets hard to remember who is where and there's no easy way in-game to see whether you have biologists or pilots inside part X.
  • A tree view, when a vessel is collapsed show the worst-case for hab/home time based on kerbals within the vessel
  • Hovering over a kerbal should highlight the part that they are living in
  • Make the window resizable (at least vertically)

17 hours ago, WuphonsReach said:

The Life Support Status panel could really use a few improvements:

• Search box so I can search for a single kerbal, or vessel/base name
  • The default ordering should put vessels who are short on EC/supplies/hab/home at the top (and order the kerbals within that vessel by the same criteria)
  • Grouping kerbals within each vessel by part name.  With 10-20 kerbals on a vessel, it gets hard to remember who is where and there's no easy way in-game to see whether you have biologists or pilots inside part X.
  • A tree view, when a vessel is collapsed show the worst-case for hab/home time based on kerbals within the vessel
  • Hovering over a kerbal should highlight the part that they are living in
  • Make the window resizable (at least vertically)

It sure could. Let me give you a list of all of RoverDude's mods:

Spoiler
  • MKS
  • USI-LS
  • Karbonite
  • Karbonite+
  • Konstruction
  • Project Orion' Nuclear Pulse Engine
  • The Malemute Rover
  • 'Otter' Submersible
  • Sounding Rockets
  • Alcubierre Warp Drive
  • Community Resource Pack
  • Asteroid Recycling Technologies
  • Freight Transport Technologies
  • USI Exploration Pack
  • USI Survivability Pack

Between those, he currently has a total of approximately 390 open GitHub issues.

That's a lot of mods and a lot of issues, even for the One-Man-Show that RoverDude is. One could even say he's a little in over his head.

The Life Support window works. It doesn't work well - but it works. There are a lot more pressing and "game-breaking" bugs and deficiencies.

So while all kinds of Feature requests are nice, there is a rather low chance of them ever getting implemented. If you create a nice GitHub issue, keep it clear, concise and *short*, there is a small chance that it gets updated at the next bigger overhaul.

In order to raise the chances of the change actually happening, you could sit down, code it yourself and submit a pull request. That's still no guarantee - but it's definitely a higher chance than just posting in the forums.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.