[1.12.x] USI Life Support

RoverDude

Thank you all, after looking a little closer, I think I am just not making enough.  Is there a way that I can increase the performance of a Tundra Agi Module that is doing Cultivate?

Is they have a load percentage of 62% , is a way to bump that?

Edited by gamerscircle

33 minutes ago, gamerscircle said:

Thank you all, after looking a little closer, I think I am just not making enough.  Is there a way that I can increase the performance of a Tundra Agi Module that is doing Cultivate?

Is they have a load percentage of 62% , is a way to bump that?

Technically this is an MKS question, not a USI-LS question, but the MKS thread is pretty full of USI-LS talk at the moment, so we might as well keep people off-balance :P

Having kerbals with the botany skill on board (Scientists and Biologists, I believe) will help boost the cultivate function. (Note that biologists will not boost the agriculture converter, just a heads-up). The higher the level of those kerbals, the better the boost they will provide. Also, having any part with the "greenhouse" efficiency tag (and that's running in efficiency mode) will provide a boost. An obvious example would be the Ranger-class agriculture inflatable, but you can even use the Tundra inflatables in a greenhouse efficiency mode. 

There are two skills used in processes that can make supplies (along with the part .cfg files which make use of that skill).  I can never keep them straight, so I did some research.

• BotanySkill (Biologist, Scientist) - Tundra_HabRing, Duna_Agriculture, Tundra_425_Hab, Tundra_Agriculture250, Tundra_275_Hab, Ranger_AgModule, Tundra_Agriculture375
  • AgronomySkill (Farmer, Scientist) -- Duna_Agriculture, Tundra_Agriculture250, Tundra_Agriculture375

So for the huge 'Tundra' habitation ring.  It requires a kerbal with the Botany skill in order to perform the 'Greenhouse' converter function.

For the 'Tundra' Agriculture Module (2.50m or 3.75m), you need either:

• Agroponics = BotanySkill
  • Cultivate(S) = BotanySkill
  • Cultivate(D) = BotanySkill
  • Agriculture(S) = AgronomySkill
  • Agriculture(D) = AgronomySkill

And for the 'Duna' Agriculture Module:

• Agroponics = BotanySkill
  • Cultivate(S) = BotanySkill
  • Cultivate(D) = BotanySkill
  • Agriculture(S) = AgronomySkill
  • Agriculture(D) = AgronomySkill

Hmmm, so there's only 3 modules that could potentially require Farmer kerbals.

Edited by WuphonsReach

57 minutes ago, Deltathiago98 said:

Just out of curiosity, would you ever do a hardcore (optional) version with death kerbals?

If you mean Kerbals dying when running out of supplies/EC/etc, that's already in. Just go to the USI-LS options and you can set that.

On 1/14/2017 at 1:45 AM, SmashBrown said:

No CTT was on the whole time. Tried to pinpoint the cause but I have A LOT of mods. Not a big deal dont worry, just thought RD might want to know for future reference.

Hello all! I just wanted to post that I am having the exact same issue as described by SmashBrown a couple of pages back. Has there been any solution to it? Is there any way I can debug this?

I am also noticing that the RT-500 is completely missing.

44 minutes ago, canisin said:

Hello all! I just wanted to post that I am having the exact same issue as described by SmashBrown a couple of pages back. Has there been any solution to it? Is there any way I can debug this?

I am also noticing that the RT-500 is completely missing.

I am very sorry! Please ignore what I just said, it turns out there wasn't anything mysterious. Upon closer inspection everything is working as expected. At least from a technical point of view. 

I thought the recycler 500 was missing, because I thought it was some kind of US wedge. And I thought the greenhouses were in the wrong node even though they were specified in the CTT.cfg, but in fact their names were wrong! :)

I have created a personal patch to move things back into hydroponics and recycling. But @RD, you might want to check out CTT.cfg.

I'm not a fan of life support, I don't want to go to a vessel and find all Kerbals dead and O2/CO2 gone. But, this kind of removes that problem without removing Life Support - Even as a non-fan of Life Support, I'll give it a try.

I'd just like to know, since you're from Squad, why aren't your USI parts packs in stock? Did your coworkers think it didn't fit in or something? Or do you just like giving us options?

EDIT: 1)Not the mod for me

2)I think it literally broke KSP. I uninstalled and the part tabs no longer work.

Edited by TDplay

57 minutes ago, TDplay said:

I'm not a fan of life support, I don't want to go to a vessel and find all Kerbals dead and O2/CO2 gone. But, this kind of removes that problem without removing Life Support - Even as a non-fan of Life Support, I'll give it a try.

I'd just like to know, since you're from Squad, why aren't your USI parts packs in stock? Did your coworkers think it didn't fit in or something? Or do you just like giving us options?

EDIT: 1)Not the mod for me

2)I think it literally broke KSP. I uninstalled and the part tabs no longer work.

As USI-MKS pre-dates RoverDude's employment with Squad, it is more a matter of leveraging his familiarity with is mod to make new things for KSP(like ISRU) then leveraging his familiarity with the KSP code to make his mod better(like using the stock catch-up mechanic to catch-up his harvesting and manufacturing processes)

Also, the mod is highly configurable on a per-save basis using an in-game UI(click on the icon in the KSC view to edit settings)

1 hour ago, TDplay said:

First, @RoverDude isn't a squad employee, he is a contractor.  Minor point but worth noting.  Second, you will likely never see a KSP mod put in game as is.  The main reason is licensing.  It can get very messing for a proprietary piece of software (such as KSP) trying to integrate open source code/models etc.  In every case so far when a modder has contracted with squad the things they create for the game are made from scratch rather than importing open source assets.

1 hour ago, TDplay said:

The mod doesn't break KSP.  The incorrect installation or removal would.  Changing mods can break saves.

I didn't mean the launch clamp conflict. More meant the "undock the return ship (without own supplies) from the station and the "supplies" immidiately show expired instead of starving" thing.
Can't judge if it's a mod conflict or a rare bug. I only know there were more reports of this than mine.

Also saw a streamer playing with TAC in high time warp some resources were "gone" for a second (they shouldn't) and the kerbels were gone/dead then.

In the end I think KSP is not the perfect platform for Life Support on "hard/dead". Seen to much gone wrong, already.

Edited by Jebs_SY

Most recent bugs have had to do with habitation, and those you notice right away when it's wrong. So I set lack of habitation to just make them tourists.

But I've been playing with lack of supplies set to kill them since I started this save when 1.2 came out, and nobody has died so far. In my opinion if you install a life support mod, it's a bit pointless if you can starve your kerbals all the way from Duna to Kerbin and all that happens is they become tourists.

47 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

If it's still an issue I'd like to know so it can be sorted, but we'll have to agree to disagree on KSP's suitability for life support hard modes.

Well, I stripped down my installation to:
MKS_0.50.17.0 (manually reinstalled)
USI-LS_0.5.23.0  (manually reinstalled)
Fuel Tanks Plus
Lithobrake Exploration Technologies
Stockalike Station Parts Expansion
+plus needed dependencies

Still have the "undock the return ship (without own supplies) from the station and the "supplies" immidiately show expired instead of starving"-issue. Can be seen here in this video.
EVAing the kerbal and going back inside fixed it, as I just found out. (Also in the video).

But I used the old save game. If this can be the cause.

BTW, I had no intention to say USI-LS is bad in any way. Even the opposite, I like and use almost all of your mods. :) I just think modded KSP has some glitches here and there and cause of that I personally don't like to use any life support on "dead" mode.

8 minutes ago, Jebs_SY said:

Well, I stripped down my installation to:
MKS_0.50.17.0 (manually reinstalled)
USI-LS_0.5.23.0  (manually reinstalled)
Fuel Tanks Plus
Lithobrake Exploration Technologies
Stockalike Station Parts Expansion
+plus needed dependencies

Still have the "undock the return ship (without own supplies) from the station and the "supplies" immidiately show expired instead of starving"-issue. Can be seen here in this video.
EVAing the kerbal and going back inside fixed it, as I just found out. (Also in the video).

But I used the old save game. If this can be the cause.

BTW, I had no intention to say USI-LS is bad in any way. Even the opposite, I like and use almost all of your mods. :) I just think modded KSP has some glitches here and there and cause of that I personally don't like to use any life support on "dead" mode.

I've seen this a few times too, but it's worth pointing out that it seems to only be the LS window showing the wrong status, rather than the game actually treating them as if their life support timer had run out. I have never actually had my kerbals experience the negative effect when this little bug surfaces. 

Edited by Merkov
Typo

3 hours ago, dlrk said:

I haven't had any Kerbal's killed by life support bugs, and I've been using USI-LS set to KIA for a while.

I haven't either, except through short-sightedness.  USI-LS has been a rock-solid LS mod.  I should also note that I run 72 mods in my main install, and I've rarely seen serious conflicts with any of RoverDude's mods.

Edited by panarchist

I killed Jeb right out of the gate due to EC wonkiness, though I think its TAC that killed him before I switched to USI.  I just got a message "ship out of power" and then dead kerbal.

Since I turned off death, this one did turn 6 of my kerbals into permanent tourists, but that was fixed a patch or two back.  I didn't know that Thelma/Louising them would be such a big rep hit :)   They hit the Mun going about 2600m/s...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.