[1.12.x] USI Life Support

RoverDude

4 minutes ago, strudo76 said:

That would be a kinda cool mechanic though...

Ahhh, so you think that it can't see what is in the inventory? Right so if they were in a container the game might recognise that they exist. That makes allot of sense, I'll test that when I get home later on today. Thanks for that, I need to get that to work so I can do an ambitious early career Mun mission.

EDIT: sorry I quoted the wrong post there. Meant to be Rover's. Anyway, thanks Rover!

Edited by Alexology
Clarification.

2 hours ago, Alexology said:

Ahhh, so you think that it can't see what is in the inventory? Right so if they were in a container the game might recognise that they exist. That makes allot of sense, I'll test that when I get home later on today. Thanks for that, I need to get that to work so I can do an ambitious early career Mun mission.

EDIT: sorry I quoted the wrong post there. Meant to be Rover's. Anyway, thanks Rover!

If the supplies are in any KIS container they will not be useable. The supplies tank must be attached to the craft. From my understanding, parts in KIS inventory do not physically exists until removed from inventory. 

18 minutes ago, ExplorerKlatt said:

If the supplies are in any KIS container they will not be useable. The supplies tank must be attached to the craft. From my understanding, parts in KIS inventory do not physically exists until removed from inventory. 

Right so in that case I would have to attach them to the hull, interesting. I'll report back once I get in game in a few hours. 

16 hours ago, danielboro said:

is it possible to add awareness to stuff shoved into KIS inventories (esaly)?

edit: sorry for the dubl q i had the page open too long :P

Not without a lot of work, and not really worth it tbh.  If you can throw a supply container in KIS then it means you had a container you should have properly strapped to your ship or in a service bay.

I'm having a problem with the hab timers.  I've been doing missions where I pre-drop a temporary base with supplies and hab, and I land Kerbals nearby for the mission.  I usually end up more than 150m away from the base when I land, because I'm bad at precision landings (especially in atmosphere), so the lander isn't being shared.  My problem is that when I try to end the mission and return home, as soon as my Kerbals go back into the lander, they go tourist-mode.  It's as if the hab-timer for the lander keeps ticking even though the Kerbals aren't in it!

When I looked at the source code, particularly ModuleLifeSupportSystem, I saw that it avoids updating TimeEnteredVessel if the Kerbal is entering the previous vessel.  What's the reason for this, out of curiosity?

From my perspective, it means that my landers have to have as much hab-time as my bases in order to avoid hab penalties kicking in, or that I have to land a third "dummy" vessel for kerbals to hop into on their way back to the lander.  It'll also make driving base vehicles like Akita rovers unnecessarily annoying, because Kerbals will have to avoid using whichever one they last used, otherwise they'll become grouchy.

Aside from this issue, I'm really enjoying the USI mods, though!

I love this mod. Thank you for it!

I have just started using this mod first time ever and in career mode, and part of the fun (for me) is to manually make engineer (Bill) to attach those life support MiniPaks on the side of station with wrench, after retrieving those from storage containers after orbital transition. Bill even accidentally fumbled, one slipped away, and drifted to the horizon...

But I couldn't find answers online or the right tools (early in career) to questions:

1) Can a kerbal catch a drifting MiniPak when it is not attached to anything, and return it inventory?

2) Can a kerbal deattach consumed MiniPak from the side of ships hull?

3) Or does it just dissapear when consumed (never seen a consumed one yet).

4) How one replenishes Kerbal's monopropellant?

60F13B1CDBC28689B4A03BF4CD6B453B3084B940

Edited by M.M.I

16 hours ago, M.M.I said:

1) Can a kerbal catch a drifting MiniPak when it is not attached to anything, and return it inventory?

2) Can a kerbal deattach consumed MiniPak from the side of ships hull?

3) Or does it just dissapear when consumed (never seen a consumed one yet).

4) How one replenishes Kerbal's monopropellant? 

1) yes you can. Press and hold g key. Then left click and hold on part. Drag to inventory the release mouse button. Make sure you have the inventory open first. 

2)yes. 

3)no. It acts just like any other empty tank. 

4) go back in to station. Then EVA again. Or carry eva fuel canister in inventory and when you run out or get low right click on canister and click refuel. 

Edited by ExplorerKlatt
Spelling

Is homesickness just a hard limit? I can increase my habitation but I don't know how to affect homesickness. There surely must be something or else long range missions would be impossible. Am I missing something perhaps? 

I understand in the settings various things can be turned on and off, is it possible to turn off homesickness but leave on habitation? Unless I am missing how it works that would be my solution. 

40 minutes ago, Alexology said:

Is homesickness just a hard limit? I can increase my habitation but I don't know how to affect homesickness. There surely must be something or else long range missions would be impossible. Am I missing something perhaps? 

I understand in the settings various things can be turned on and off, is it possible to turn off homesickness but leave on habitation? Unless I am missing how it works that would be my solution. 

Habitation is how long Kerbals can stay in the current vessel. It can vary greatly depending on the vessel they are in. 

Homesickness is how long they can stay away from Kerbin. It is based on the best vessel they have been in since leaving kerbin. 

Example: if a Kerbal launches in a vessel that has 2yrs of Hab time and once reaching orbit transfers to a lander that only has 15 days hab time, the habitation timer will show 15days and the homesickness will show 2yrs - the current MET. So he then transfers back to launch ship. His habitation timer will go back up to whatever that vessels hab time is. 1 yr later he transfers to a station with 10yrs hab time. Habitation timer goes to 10yrs but the homesickness timer will go to 9yrs. This is because that Kerbal now has a total homesickness of 10yrs - the year he has been in space. 

1 hour ago, Cadet_BNSF said:

I am playing with all of the USI mods installed, except for the akita rover, and I am having trouble with USI LS. I have unlocked the 1.25m LS container, but I don't have access to it in the VAB or Spaceplane hangar.

https://imgur.com/a/rflHg

It won't show up in the search because it's in a custom category and stock's search only finds things in the stock categories :mad:.

It will be in the life support category near the bottom of the parts bar - the category icon is: LifeSupport_N.png

@Cadet_BNSF are you playing 1.2.2 as your directory suggests?  I would probably make super sure you have all of the appropriate versions of the USI mods and core.  It can sometimes be tricky given the number of mods and their dependencies.  Not only do they have to be the appropriate versions for KSP but also the appropriate version to each other.

Just a thought.

@Cadet_BNSF It is possible.  That is what I was trying to say in my other post.  There have been times where parts of the USI suite have had hotfixes that don't make it into all mod distros.  For example you don't usually install USI-core because it is bundled with USI-LS etc.  But occassionally USI-CORE may have been updated but didnt get into a USI-LS distro.  So it's important to check all of the mods to ensure you have all of the appropriate shared components as well.

@Cadet_BNSF - CCK is required.  But all bets are off because you're on an older version of KSP.  Also, in the future, you really need to warn folks that you are not on a current KSP version otherwise people end up wasting their time.  Support for older KSP versions is not provided unless folks decide to be generous.  Forewarning people that you are on an unsupported version helps ensure that continued generosity.

@Aelfhe1m @goldenpsp @RoverDudeI got it to work. Thank you guys so much for helping me with this. I am still fairly new to the troubleshooting end of installing mods, so this was a big help. Sorry if I slowed things down by not mentioning that I was running KSP 1.2.2. :D

Edited by Cadet_BNSF

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.