[1.12.x] USI Life Support

RoverDude

32 minutes ago, Nickname34 said:

supplies galore and they all refused to work because of homesickness

Homesickness is caused by lack of habitation, not lack of supplies.  In addition to supplies, your spacecraft needs parts that provide habitation value, so that kerbals can tolerate living in the spacecraft for a long time.  Supplies and habitation are separate, parallel mechanics, with separate timers for when they run out.

Edited by Wyzard

2 hours ago, RoverDude said:

You can also see how your ship is stacking up (both with supplies and with hab times) in the VAB via the LS icon.

And don't forget to turn them on once you launch :)

it looks like turning on the hub is a common problem
how abut adding to the LF panel a turn on/off all hub button for current ship?
and maybe in LF setting chose if at lunch hub starts on or off?

I'm really trying to wrap my head around what this display is telling me here. So thanks to some help the other night, I figured out how to "build out" the Habitation Ring by launching MaterialKits, some battery banks and an Engineer. So that's working. I have three crew on the ship, and get the expected 15 year Home value for Habitation. But why is my Hab value still only ~3 years? Shouldn't that match the value of the largest ship they've got access to (e.g., this one?) Or does that just mean that after 3 years, they have to get out of the ship and "stretch" for a bit? Can they do that via EVA? Will I have to have reached a destination to let them land and walk around?

dp4Q3J1.png

On 11/23/2017 at 12:27 AM, danielboro said:

it looks like turning on the hub is a common problem
how abut adding to the LF panel a turn on/off all hub button for current ship?
and maybe in LF setting chose if at lunch hub starts on or off?

I usually use an Action Group for this.

On 11/23/2017 at 8:06 AM, LameLefty said:

I'm really trying to wrap my head around what this display is telling me here. So thanks to some help the other night, I figured out how to "build out" the Habitation Ring by launching MaterialKits, some battery banks and an Engineer. So that's working. I have three crew on the ship, and get the expected 15 year Home value for Habitation. But why is my Hab value still only ~3 years? Shouldn't that match the value of the largest ship they've got access to (e.g., this one?) Or does that just mean that after 3 years, they have to get out of the ship and "stretch" for a bit? Can they do that via EVA? Will I have to have reached a destination to let them land and walk around?

dp4Q3J1.png

The "Home" value is the measurement of the most space/best ship they've ever had access to since they left Kerbin.  It's basically how homesick they are.

The "Hab" value is the measurement of what they currently have access to, think about how "cooped up" or "cabin fever" they're feeling.

I haven't looked at the specific mechanics for this, but I think not having the hab ring full of Machinery might be what's causing it to only give a short hab bonus, and the 15 year reading might have been a glitch reading from when it was initially expanded before the hab mechanics had a chance to properly calculate.

Send up some machinery and see what kind of difference it makes.

2 hours ago, tsaven said:

I haven't looked at the specific mechanics for this, but I think not having the hab ring full of Machinery might be what's causing it to only give a short hab bonus, and the 15 year reading might have been a glitch reading from when it was initially expanded before the hab mechanics had a chance to properly calculate.

Send up some machinery and see what kind of difference it makes.

That was it, thanks! :)

Loaded it up with Machinery and voila! Perfect for a nice, long-term exploration for a small team. 

YoBfYHe.png

Hi. I'm having issues with version 0.5.24.0 . I use this version because i play RSS on ksp 1.2.2. Is there any newer version working with 1.2.2?

The issue is, in USI life support window there is no information about life support of any kerbal i lauch. I launch a pod with a kerbal and no USI parts, but it's not registered and he can sit in mk1 pod for 30 years and nothing happens. When he goes out on EVA the "remaining time" appears but when it reaches 0 it starts to count to 59 and down again.

Output log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pc7yz9ek8n8l0i6/output_log.txt?dl=0

Anyone help?

15 hours ago, GrzesiekB said:

Hi. I'm having issues with version 0.5.24.0 . I use this version because i play RSS on ksp 1.2.2. Is there any newer version working with 1.2.2?

The issue is, in USI life support window there is no information about life support of any kerbal i lauch. I launch a pod with a kerbal and no USI parts, but it's not registered and he can sit in mk1 pod for 30 years and nothing happens. When he goes out on EVA the "remaining time" appears but when it reaches 0 it starts to count to 59 and down again.

Output log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pc7yz9ek8n8l0i6/output_log.txt?dl=0

Anyone help?

There isn't any newer version for USI-LS for KSP v1.2.2 found on this GitHub page https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/USI-LS/releases.  I'd really recommend updating to KSP 1.3.1 even if it means dropping some mods that haven't updated to at least KSP 1.3.0.  Back up your game installation before you update.

RoverDude doesn't generally provide support for his mods on older versions of KSP.

You also have more problems in the output_log than just USI-LS.  How are you installing your mods: manually or CKAN?

Choose wisely :cool:

20 hours ago, GrzesiekB said:

I use this version because i play RSS on ksp 1.2.2. Is there any newer version working with 1.2.2?

best option is if one of the developer of RSS is willing to compile the new version of USI to be used whit RSS
i believe its more common to use TAC whit RSS?

10 hours ago, danielboro said:

best option is if one of the developer of RSS is willing to compile the new version of USI to be used whit RSS
i believe its more common to use TAC whit RSS?

No idea which is more common, but I use USI-LS just fine with my RSS install. But then, I've dragged my 1.2.2 RSS all the way up to 1.3.1, but not without some kicking and screaming.

To the OP, sorry I don't have anything more concrete as I'm out of practice with 1.2.2 now, but if you pair up the proper version of USI to the 1.2.2 it *should* work.

I'm Glad some of your are asking about USI and RSS.  I am starting to play around with rescaled systems and I was wondering how USI handles that.  For example does the day display on the USI gui reflect a rescaled day, or a standard kerbin day in a modded install?  In other words if my kerbal has 1 day of life support is that 6 hours, or 24 hours.

Love the mod and thx for all the help

1 hour ago, gunt3rgam3r said:

I'm Glad some of your are asking about USI and RSS.  I am starting to play around with rescaled systems and I was wondering how USI handles that.  For example does the day display on the USI gui reflect a rescaled day, or a standard kerbin day in a modded install?  In other words if my kerbal has 1 day of life support is that 6 hours, or 24 hours.

If you have a custom date time formatter mod installed (e.g. Kronometer, RSS DateTime Formatter) then USI-LS should use the length of day/year defined by that formatter.

1 hour ago, gunt3rgam3r said:

You can choose a 24 hour clock in the KSP main menu, and then all the USI settings are tweakible from the Space Center menu, so pretty much you can make it as realistic as you want with no problem. You'll need to do the scaling yourself though, but you won't have to edit any files or anything.

As far as I have noticed, there is no conflict mechanically with any of RSS's mandatory dependencies and USI, but watch out for Kerbalism -- they don't play well together at all.

On 6/26/2015 at 8:13 PM, RoverDude said:

Mulch->Supplies is lossy. Mulch+Fertilizer->Supplies is lossless

Is this still true?  I didn't think any of the Agroponics conversions would work without Fertilizer.

(And I feel that even mulch+fert should still be lossy, enough that upgrading to Agriculture processes is worth it.)

Just now, WuphonsReach said:

Is this still true?  I didn't think any of the Agroponics conversions would work without Fertilizer.

(And I feel that even mulch+fert should still be lossy, enough that upgrading to Agriculture processes is worth it.)

No longer true.  Only Mulch+Fertilizer->Supplies conversions exist now.

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, dlrk said:

Roverdude,

Quick question, I'm looking at the life support calculation window in the VAB, and it shows the projected life support time with fertilizer. For that calculation, what converter is it using?

All fertilizer converts at 1fert+10 mulch=>11 supplies, so if you have supplies and mulch the converter does not matter.(it may not even check for one)

Hi All,

Hoping you can help me with a little issue that I have. Valentina is stuck out in space and has been classed as a tourist.

She is currently in a very high orbit of the mun. I sent her up there to carry out a rendezvous mission and while she was up there she became homesick and now will not do anything. Jeb, who was in a similar craft (the one she was meeting) had been up there longer and was actually fine and I flew him home.

I hadn't paid any attention to supplies or hab etc as I thought the orange suits were immune to Life support needs. On checking the USI menu on the main screen it shows Valentina's name as a VET but all the vet boxes were set to 'grouchy'. Anyway, I've set all the boxes to be immune, saved and restarted but I still cannot control her. I also removed the USI Life support mod to see if that would clear her status. This hasn't helped either. I'm assuming that her config has been now classed as a tourist which is now outside of USI. I have now re-installed the mod again.

So.. .My question... Is there an easy way to rectify this, using config or anything? I'm terrible at messing around with files and such so any link or clear instructions would be helpful.

I don't mind sending a rescue mission but what do I need to send to get her back on the team. I can obviously take NOMS but how do I cure the homesickness. would flying an engineer up and building a docking port on her ship and then docking another ship with a hab module fix the problem? Any creative suggestions on how to help her out would be appreciated.

My last thing and the point that I am most worried about is by removing the mod briefly and re-installing it have wiped and log that USI made her a tourist? And therefore, will it be possible to gain control of her again?

I'm used to losing kerbals, believe me. I don't get too precious about them but I'm playing on hard mode with no quicksaves or reverting so at the moment every kerbal and funds count.

Any pointers, suggestion, comments, guides, humorous quips would be well received. 

Cheers

Would you recommend changing the hab and supply time when playing with 6.4x rescale? Does the supply time calculator work with kronometer? Do you know any way to calculate mission time? Lastly, do you prefer to play with stock size solar system? I ask that because I like bigger solar systems so my launchers feel useful but if i'm using life support I feel like it might mess with balance.

41 minutes ago, TachyonGMZ said:

Would you recommend changing the hab and supply time when playing with 6.4x rescale?

I'm currently playing a 6.4x career and the only things I changed were the "Homeworld altitude" (to account for thicker atmosphere) and "Hab months" (increased from 0.25 to 0.6 to compensate for longer journey times to Kerbin's moons in early career)

43 minutes ago, TachyonGMZ said:

Does the supply time calculator work with kronometer?

All USI times are shown correctly in 10.5 hr days and 616 day years.

45 minutes ago, TachyonGMZ said:

Do you know any way to calculate mission time?

At the moment I'm just using map mode and plotting a manoeuvre of the appropriate transfer orbit and checking the time to apoapsis to get transfer times. I plan to "hack" a copy of Transfer Window Planner to work with Kronometer before I go interplanetary (I'll submit a pull request of my changes to TriggerAu when I'm done - I've already sent a PR for modified Kerbal Alarm Clock)

49 minutes ago, TachyonGMZ said:

Lastly, do you prefer to play with stock size solar system?

I play all sorts from near pure stock to full scale Realism Overhall with Stock System, GPP, RSS, and I'm thinking about starting a KSS play-through as well.

55 minutes ago, TachyonGMZ said:

I ask that because I like bigger solar systems so my launchers feel useful but if i'm using life support I feel like it might mess with balance.

My current 6.4x game is my first foray into upscaled USI-LS and MKS. Setting up long duration exploration vessels or off-world bases doesn't look like it will be much more difficult than using OPM at stock scale - other than needing larger launchers (for which I'm using SMURFF to improve mass fractions of tanks and thrust of engines).

5 minutes ago, Aelfhe1m said:

I'm currently playing a 6.4x career and the only things I changed were the "Homeworld altitude" (to account for thicker atmosphere) and "Hab months" (increased from 0.25 to 0.6 to compensate for longer journey times to Kerbin's moons in early career)

Do you think that enabling hab and home time makes it more fun or just more to deal with. I am considering starting career with this and mks in 6.4x minus all the construction stuff so it feels like life support just with more parts. Would you recommend increasing supply time just to make it easier or does it feel completely acceptable to leave supplies as they are to you.

11 minutes ago, TachyonGMZ said:

Do you think that enabling hab and home time makes it more fun or just more to deal with. I am considering starting career with this and mks in 6.4x minus all the construction stuff so it feels like life support just with more parts. Would you recommend increasing supply time just to make it easier or does it feel completely acceptable to leave supplies as they are to you.

Enabling hab incentivises designing proper sized vessels with a mix of modules rather than just sending a Kerbal off to Jool in a command chair like you can do in stock. Personally I like having a reason to put extra living space on interplanetary vessels/stations/bases other then just because they look cool.

So far I don't think I'll need to adjust supply consumption rates. It's fairly easy to get a mix of recyclers and agroponics modules (MKS) which can extend life support for a small crew a long time with a reasonable amount of fertilizer - and a mining rig or two on each colonised world converting gypsum or minerals to fertilizer can keep them supplied indefinitely for very little effort. Setting up a supplies/fertilizer surplus to resupply interplanetary vessels is only a little more effort (especially with orbital logistics making a come back in the latest Constellation beta).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.