[1.12.x] USI Life Support

RoverDude

22 hours ago, WuphonsReach said:

The Life Support Status panel could really use a few improvements:

Yeah, I made a ticket about that. Feel free to add your ideas there.

I planned to do most of the proposed changes myself, but got stuck when I couldn't compile the code for the longest time. I've fixed that now, so maybe I can go back to it.

Probably will need quite a bit of refactoring to get this done, unfortunately.

Have a bit of an annoying issue with USI-LS and I wanted to see if anyone else had hit it and had a workaround for it. Capsule summary is "EC always decreases when craft not in focus".

All of my manned craft, when they're not in focus, have their EC timer steadily dropping to 0 even though they all have nuclear reactors active and at least one solar panel attached. When the timers hit 0 while out of focus, the recyclers, science labs, etc. shut down and supply consumption spikes. As soon as I focus the craft, EC jumps right back up to its maximum value of ~16 days, only to start running down again as soon as I unfocus. The upshot is that every single manned mission needs to be briefly focused every 15 days or so, which is extremely irritating when talking about multi-year missions to other planets. This issue https://github.com/BobPalmer/USI-LS/issues/129 (#129, closed 30 days ago if the link doesn't show up) seems to indicate that this is WAD and not a bug, which is... unfortunate, though I guess it isn't actually a gamebreaking bug. Is there any way to work around this? Right now I'm considering just setting it so that nothing happens when a kerbal runs out of supplies, and only using USI-LS as a guide to how much I need to build while constructing a vessel and then completely ignoring it which seems a bit strange!

edit: I think the nuclear reactor I'm using (From the USI core tools package) is shutting down when unfocused. It also sometimes shuts down for no clear reason when focused, despite not overheating. Basically I should probably just give up on these reactors and install one of the mods that makes you have some agonizingly complicated resource chain to get 1 EC/s reactors. I loved the USI ones last time I used them a few versions ago, because they were simple and just worked all the time... like USI-LS!

Edited by Mukaikubo

@Mukaikubo I have seen USI reactors shutdown before at 100,000x warp speeds when the vessel is focused (but that's probably a bug for the USI core thread).  My suspicion is that it's a problem with floating point math or KSP's heat mechanics at high warp speeds.  The workaround I have for that is to never focus on a USI reactor while running the warp speed above 10,000x.  If I need a higher warp speed, I'll do it back at the space center.

For the other problem with resource generation not happening while the craft is not in focus, that's a limitation of KSP and how it works for vessels that are "on rails" in the background.  There is no processing happening, then when you focus on the craft, it plays "catch-up" in 6 hour blocks.  At least, that's my understanding of the situation.

The workaround that I use there is to add enough EC / supplies / mulch storage to the craft to go for 50/75/100 days with a normal crew complement.  Then I'll setup a KAC timer to check back on the vessel every so often (e.g. 90 day timer for a 100-day design).  

I've finally ventured into Life Support and noticed a quirk I wanted to clarify. I've been taking advantage of it but figure that it's probably a bug/incorrect config on my end and want to get it ironed it so I don't cheat the mod.

I launch my rocket with 1 Kerbal in a Mk1 Pod and it starts out with

• 7 days Hab time
  • 7 days Home time

Later into my mission I EVA/reboard and noted this in LS Status:

• 7 days Hab time
  • 30 days Home time

I head off to Minmus and on the 6th day of the trip I EVA/reboard and noted that both values had once again reset to the above.

To me, it makes sense that Hab time would reset - the Kerbal got a chance to stretch his legs and is now content, however the Home timer resetting to 30 days every time is what is causing me to query this.

Additionally, I believe I have observed the Supply value resetting as well. I sent a mission to Minmus with 1 small pack of radial supplies. At a certain point on the return journey I noted that the item was 0/100 and had recently EVA reset and Supply was listed as 15 days in LS Status. However, I will need to test this to confirm.

5 hours ago, Mukaikubo said:

This issue https://github.com/BobPalmer/USI-LS/issues/129 (#129, closed 30 days ago if the link doesn't show up) seems to indicate that this is WAD and not a bug, which is... unfortunate

I read the issue as "it is ok that the timer counts down". Which implies that only the timer is wrong and the catch-up mechanic is supposed to clean things up when the vessel is focused again. So yours might be a separate issue.

Yes, KSP doesn't simulate EC generation while unfocused.

But basically that means the EC timer is useless if you have any means of power generation on board...

I regularly have vessels with the EC "expired" but when I switch to them all is normal, so it's no problem though.

@enjoystastycheeses This bug of the home timer is already reported on github as issue #211. I also think it's serious, as it makes habitation useless/unfollowable for kerbals you often do EVA with. I'll test the supplies reset issue also.

Edit: made a quick test and supplies seem to work fine, don't reset.

Edited by bounty123

On 1/30/2017 at 9:21 PM, bounty123 said:

@enjoystastycheeses This bug of the home timer is already reported on github as issue #211. I also think it's serious, as it makes habitation useless/unfollowable for kerbals you often do EVA with. I'll test the supplies reset issue also.

Edit: made a quick test and supplies seem to work fine, don't reset.

Thanks for that mate, appreciate it.

I have fired KSP after a month break, update all my mods (all with a .version at least) and on one ship I got a log spam when opening the USI-LS window :

Spoiler

ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.
Parameter name: index
  at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[ProtoCrewMember].get_Item (Int32 index) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at LifeSupport.LifeSupportMonitor.CheckEVAKerbals () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at LifeSupport.LifeSupportMonitor.GenerateWindow () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at LifeSupport.LifeSupportMonitor.OnWindow (Int32 windowId) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename:  Line: -1)

ArgumentException: Getting control 0's position in a group with only 0 controls when doing Repaint
Aborting
  at UnityEngine.GUILayoutGroup.GetNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at UnityEngine.GUILayoutUtility.BeginLayoutGroup (UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options, System.Type layoutType) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at UnityEngine.GUILayout.BeginVertical (UnityEngine.GUIContent content, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at UnityEngine.GUILayout.BeginVertical (UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at LifeSupport.LifeSupportMonitor.GenerateWindow () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at LifeSupport.LifeSupportMonitor.OnWindow (Int32 windowId) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename:  Line: -1)

I have 3 crewed flight in progress and this happens only to one of them, a lander on Mun. The values look correct and the timers works so it just make the game a bit laggy when the window is opened. Is it something I can fix ? Editing persistent.sfs maybe (vessel name is "Munar 4 Crew Lander") ?

Here is a zip with a log, persistent, screenshot of the vessel and of my gamedata folder.

Question about becoming Tourists in this.  Do the Kerbals who are tourists still get experience from things that happen after they run out of supplies?  for example if I bring kerbals to the SOI of Kerbin and back, but it was piloted by a probe core and none of them had any supplies when they crossed into Kerbol orbit, would they still have the experience +6 when they land at KSC?

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 1:54 PM, Mukaikubo said:

Have a bit of an annoying issue with USI-LS and I wanted to see if anyone else had hit it and had a workaround for it. Capsule summary is "EC always decreases when craft not in focus".

All of my manned craft, when they're not in focus, have their EC timer steadily dropping to 0 even though they all have nuclear reactors active and at least one solar panel attached. When the timers hit 0 while out of focus, the recyclers, science labs, etc. shut down and supply consumption spikes. As soon as I focus the craft, EC jumps right back up to its maximum value of ~16 days, only to start running down again as soon as I unfocus. The upshot is that every single manned mission needs to be briefly focused every 15 days or so, which is extremely irritating when talking about multi-year missions to other planets. This issue https://github.com/BobPalmer/USI-LS/issues/129 (#129, closed 30 days ago if the link doesn't show up) seems to indicate that this is WAD and not a bug, which is... unfortunate, though I guess it isn't actually a gamebreaking bug. Is there any way to work around this? Right now I'm considering just setting it so that nothing happens when a kerbal runs out of supplies, and only using USI-LS as a guide to how much I need to build while constructing a vessel and then completely ignoring it which seems a bit strange!

edit: I think the nuclear reactor I'm using (From the USI core tools package) is shutting down when unfocused. It also sometimes shuts down for no clear reason when focused, despite not overheating. Basically I should probably just give up on these reactors and install one of the mods that makes you have some agonizingly complicated resource chain to get 1 EC/s reactors. I loved the USI ones last time I used them a few versions ago, because they were simple and just worked all the time... like USI-LS!

Hi, had something very similar.  On a base that was landed, I had lost about 8000 supplies when I went back to that base after about a week of warp.  It seemed to have been partially fixed when the recycler fix was made.  Nobody else had verified the problem, so I did a workaround that solved the issue.  In short, I put an undersized nuke on the base, and when everything ran full tilt, was not able to keep up.  But I had a central PDU to handle the shortfall, and it worked when the vessel is active.  It seemed like, when the base is in the background, that the PDU part was being ignored, it ran out of EC and production stopped. But, that still doesn't explain why the supplies disappeared so quickly.

My workaround was I stopped the efficiency parts and one bay.  It dropped EC usage so that the nuke can handle it by itself, and all problems went away.  If you can, try and reduce power usage and see if it gets better.  I actually cant reproduce anymore because I replaced that base and disassembled it, so I have not opened a Github ticket.

3 hours ago, Gilph said:

It seemed to have been partially fixed when the recycler fix was made.  Nobody else had verified the problem

I think it's this one, which should be solved soon. About EC running out, please note that if you're referring to the life support window (as opposed to seeing actual vessel EC resources), that window only prints an estimation of EC time left, and without counting generators (so that info is almost worthless for long term bases).

3 minutes ago, gamerscircle said:

I have one other question.. I have the Ground Construction mod, when I am active on a DIY Kit and click on the  Life Support Status screen , I get messages about the kerbal refusing to work, then going back to work and it just loops through that...

Yes! That's EXACTLY what I've been seeing in my save. I already have a GitHub issue opened for it: https://github.com/BobPalmer/MKS/issues/1124

There is a save file attached in that issue.

Edited by sh1pman

On 19.1.2017 at 4:48 AM, Jebs_SY said:

I still get some constantly repeating argument exceptions when opening the USI-LS window. However, later in the mission, this doesn't happen. The installation is highly modded. Does anyone has similar problems? The window is working, however flickering in the error situation.

[EXC 04:04:05.652] ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.
Parameter name: index
	System.Collections.Generic.List`1[ProtoCrewMember].get_Item (Int32 index)
	LifeSupport.LifeSupportMonitor.CheckEVAKerbals ()
	LifeSupport.LifeSupportMonitor.GenerateWindow ()
	LifeSupport.LifeSupportMonitor.OnWindow (Int32 windowId)
	UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID)
	UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style)
[EXC 04:04:05.656] ArgumentException: Getting control 0's position in a group with only 0 controls when doing Repaint
Aborting
	UnityEngine.GUILayoutGroup.GetNext ()
	UnityEngine.GUILayoutUtility.BeginLayoutGroup (UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options, System.Type layoutType)
	UnityEngine.GUILayout.BeginVertical (UnityEngine.GUIContent content, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options)
	UnityEngine.GUILayout.BeginVertical (UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options)
	LifeSupport.LifeSupportMonitor.GenerateWindow ()
	LifeSupport.LifeSupportMonitor.OnWindow (Int32 windowId)
	UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID)
	UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style)

Well, for me the flickering still throw's this exceptions and can be seen here in this video. Version in this video: 0.5.20 

It seems unrelated to the move into the janitors closet toolbar, cause I have had the same issues when USI-LS is directly in the stock toolbar.

One more thing is, that it does not always happens. Unfortunately, I didn't found out, when it happens. As I read the error, maybe if a Kerbal is/was on EVA?

Edited by Jebs_SY

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.