[1.12.x] USI Life Support

RoverDude

1 hour ago, NomenNescio said:

What is this warning of which you speak? I see a few explanations, that make perfect sense BTW, but talk of warnings make me nervous :sealed:

I think the moral of the story here is that, unless you fully understand what you're doing by using the patch @KerbMav supplied, just stick with the "normal" methods of obtaining fertilizer (from ore, gypsum or minerals... or just packing enough on your ship to begin with :wink:). The wiki does a pretty good job of explaining what the point of the Mulch + Fertilizer = Supplies conversion process is and what role it should play in your overall mission plan. https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/USI-LS/wiki/Quick-Start:-Supplies#converters.

Guys, guys. I see what's happening here. There's been a misunderstanding, I'm not using the patch. I didn't even see it was there xD I was asking for clarification on a function of this mod, and after @KerbMav posted the patch this conversation switched in direction I didn't see. That's all. We can leave it now :D

On 8/7/2017 at 7:08 AM, garwel said:

It must've been reported before, but just in case... If a vessel with kerbals has no Supplies (i.e. they are "starving") and it docks with another vessel, the "starvation timer" resets back to 15 days.

That is probably an issue where the ship with hungry Kerbals docks with a 'superior' vessel, and as such the kerbal vessel becomes a component of the other vessel.  Much like transferring kerbals to a new vessel without bothering to space-walk.

Kind of makes me wonder if you were to have a vessel with hungry kerbals, remove all kerbals from the vessel, then put them back in(possibly doing a scene switch first), would they re-set their starvation timer?

Hi, just wondering if it would be at all possible to add something a little softer than the tourist option in the setup of USI LS?

reason for asking is that I keep getting Kerbal who get to tourist mode, but I end up having to sfs file edit them back to their correct profession  is the oldtrait also gets set as tourist.

Could we can an addition option for passing out (same thing as when they reach their G limit) with a setting for how long they might slip in out and of consciences? Rg pass out when they run out of supplies and then they passout for 2 hours, wake for 30 min, passout again for 2hrs if still no supplies.

On 8/6/2017 at 9:31 AM, Kerbal101 said:

CURRENT VERSION: 2.5

If anyone of you uses
(the mind-blowing awesome) Ven's Stock Part Revamp and (equally mind-blowing awesome) USI LS, here is the patch:

This patch does this:
- weight and cost of Micro and Small Inflatable HABs are matched (increased) against USI MKS Ranger minihab
- crew capacities for inflatable modules are zero for inflatable HABs until inflated, requires USI Animation module
- added approximated habitation time and habitation ability to three inflatable HABs and two crew cabins (1- and 10-man) using USI MKS Ranger minihab, stock crew cabin and (unrelated) Tokamak inflatable habitation module as references. Habitation function requires electricity, exactly like all other USI modules.
- added ability to act as Workshop for two crew cabins, exactly the same way as USI-LS applies this to stock crew cabin (Hitchhiker).
- added ability to act as Logistic consumer to HABs, similar to MKS Ranger minihab.

Patch requires USI LS, USI tools (USI Animation) and Ven's Stock Part Revamp.

Hide contents

@PART[MicroInflatableHAB]
{
    @mass = 1.0
    @cost = 350
    @entryCost = 6000

@CrewCapacity = 0

-MODULE[ModuleAnimateGeneric] {}

MODULE
	{
		name = USIAnimation
		deployAnimationName = TentInflate
		inflatable = true
		CrewCapacity = 1
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleLifeSupport
	}

MODULE 
	{
		name = ModuleHabitation
		BaseKerbalMonths = 5
		CrewCapacity = 0
		BaseHabMultiplier = 0
		ConverterName = Habitat
		StartActionName = Start Habitat
		StopActionName = Stop Habitat		
		INPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			ResourceName = ElectricCharge
			Ratio = 0.262
		}
	}	

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleWeightDistributableCargo
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = USI_InertialDampener
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = MKSModule
		BonusEffect = RepBoost
		ApplyBonuses = false
	}	

}

@PART[SmallInflatableHAB]
{
    @mass = 2
    @cost = 900
    @entryCost = 10000

@CrewCapacity = 0

MODULE
	{
		name = USIAnimation
		deployAnimationName = SmallHabInflate
		inflatable = true
		CrewCapacity = 2
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleLifeSupport
	}

MODULE 
	{
		name = ModuleHabitation
		BaseKerbalMonths = 10
		CrewCapacity = 0
		BaseHabMultiplier = 0
		ConverterName = Habitat
		INPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			Ratio = 0.525
		}
	}	

MODULE
	{
	}

MODULE
	{
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = MKSModule
		BonusEffect = RepBoost
		ApplyBonuses = false
	}	

}

@PART[InflatableHAB]
{
    @CrewCapacity = 0

MODULE
	{
		name = USIAnimation
		deployAnimationName = LargeHabInflate
		inflatable = true
		CrewCapacity = 10
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleLifeSupport
	}

MODULE 
	{
		name = ModuleHabitation
		BaseKerbalMonths = 21
		CrewCapacity = 0
		BaseHabMultiplier = 0
		ConverterName = Habitat
		INPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			Ratio = 2.620
		}
	}	

MODULE
	{
	}

MODULE
	{
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = MKSModule
		BonusEffect = RepBoost
		ApplyBonuses = false
	}

}

/// DO NOT CONFUSE, this is not "INFLATABLE" part. Its a 10-crew HARD can, similar to Hitchhiker.
/// located in Large_Hard_Hab.cfg. Values approximated using LSModule.cfg/crewCabin

@PART[LargeInflatableHAB]
{

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleLifeSupport
	}

MODULE 
	{
		name = ModuleHabitation
		BaseKerbalMonths = 53
		CrewCapacity = 10
		BaseHabMultiplier = 0
		ConverterName = Habitat
		INPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			Ratio = 1.313
		}
	}	

MODULE
	{
		name = USI_ModuleFieldRepair
	}	
}

// one-man crew cabin without any controls. NOT a landing can.

@PART[KerbCan]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleLifeSupport
	}

MODULE 
	{
		name = ModuleHabitation
		BaseKerbalMonths = 5
		CrewCapacity = 1
		BaseHabMultiplier = 0
		ConverterName = Habitat
		INPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			Ratio = 0.262
		}
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = USI_ModuleFieldRepair
	}

}

I would appreciate if @RoverDude  ntegrates them into USI mod :)
I will link to this post from Stock Revamp too.

@Kerbal101 sorry for being a total noob, but how do I use the patch?

12 minutes ago, mivanit said:

@Kerbal101 sorry for being a total noob, but how do I use the patch?

you take that text and save it under your gamedata folder as a Whateverfilenameiwant.cfg

modulemanager patches are not directory independent.  Just make note of it so in the future if this is included you can remove your old one.

7 hours ago, goldenpsp said:

you take that text and save it under your gamedata folder as a Whateverfilenameiwant.cfg

modulemanager patches are not directory independent.  Just make note of it so in the future if this is included you can remove your old one.

@mivanit exactly what goldenpsp said. The only thing I would add to this is that you may want to consider making a folder inside your GameData folder (with whatever name you want) specifically for MM patches. It makes it a bit easier to keep things organized if you start adding more and more MM patches.

Hello,

Recently I've installed this mod which is awesome. But I have lots of problems dealing with Hab.

In some tutorial stuff I've read that the Base Hab Time for a seat is 1 Kerbal Month, but actually in the settings file it is set to 0,25.

So even going to Minmus and coming back represents a serious problem to me, as the Hab for the Mk1 pod is 7days 03h, and just going to Minmus takes 5 days.

How people are you dealing with this constraint? Do you try to do your best with the time limitation adding more space (which means a lot of extra mass) or do you change the settings file to 1 Kerbal Month?

Thanks for your feedback.

9 minutes ago, LordCorwin said:

How people are you dealing with this constraint? Do you try to do your best with the time limitation adding more space (which means a lot of extra mass) or do you change the settings file to 1 Kerbal Month?

I actually turn the settings up, yes. Since hab time seems to be more for use with MKS and less with USI LS alone.

And I also edited some extra parts in, meaning I made copies of the two crew cabins and turned them into a variant that offers half the space but adds hab time as crew quarters. MKS seems a bit much for my playstyle, but I did not want to go completely without hab time.

32 minutes ago, LordCorwin said:

I'm using also MKS (in reality, full USI mod suite), therefore I add some hab parts to have enough for planned trip (hab multipliers are key parts). Sometimes it's a close call :)

I'll check the whole USI suite then! Last time Jebediah refused to operate the vessel, so I had to guess the reentry angle when coming back from Minmus when still had 5 minutes operative. That also was a close call :-D

Edited by LordCorwin

48 minutes ago, LordCorwin said:

Hello,

Recently I've installed this mod which is awesome. But I have lots of problems dealing with Hab.

In some tutorial stuff I've read that the Base Hab Time for a seat is 1 Kerbal Month, but actually in the settings file it is set to 0,25.

So even going to Minmus and coming back represents a serious problem to me, as the Hab for the Mk1 pod is 7days 03h, and just going to Minmus takes 5 days.

I don't do a manned Minmus mission until I have a larger capsule.

2 hours ago, LordCorwin said:

In the early game, I put a probe core on the vessel so when Kerbals go grouchy (the default MKS setting), I still have control.  I've returned a dozen of stranded Kerbals from Minmus orbit this way.  I don't know what happens if you change the Kerbal response to no hab time to, say, mutiny.

Slightly later in the game, I add more hab modules to the craft (whatever I can access from the tech tree at the time; i'm using the CTT mod BTW).  This has made them heavier than before, certainly, but not impossibly.  Recently, I've received my first Minmus landing contract.  Since hab, supplies, homesickness are more critical now, I've decided to send the lander ahead early (w/o crew) and maximized my manned craft for hab.  I'll rendezvous in Minmus orbit, then land.

YMMV

Edited by Brigadier

I tend to do trips in three-part missions: First mission I send up a rover, with crew.  FUR or Buffalo come pretty early, and have decent habitation.  (Especially when I don't fill all the seats.)  Next two parts is a reusable lander/ascent vehicle, which can retrieve the crew from the surface and get to orbit, and then a cycler to return to Kerbin.  For the Mun, the cycler tends to be a direct-launch vehicle - it just picks the crew up from the lander, dumps some fuel, and then does the full return to Kerbin surface.  For Minmus, the cycler tends to be reusable, either meeting a crew-launch vehicle in LKO, or dropping them off at a station in Kerbin orbit.  (And of course over time the landers start rendezvousing with stations in Minmus or Munar orbit.)

It's a bit more expensive to set up - but the rovers mean I can maximize my science output, and the costs are nearly all setup costs - sending a second crew to Minmus to explore costs about the same as sending them to LKO: They'll have vehicles, experiments, and resources waiting for them at the other end.

1 hour ago, LordCorwin said:

Thanks for your all replies, I'll have them in mind.

I don't have much spare budget to deal with, so several-part mission will be difficult, but I'll check it anyway.

Depending on your contracts, the first part can pay for the later parts, usually.  After all, it's going to new biomes and getting science.  (I'll admit I work with a fair number of contract packs and Stratagia at the moment.)

18 hours ago, LordCorwin said:

Hello,

I add the 1.25m 2 seat crew cabin for an early minmus craft, that should get you enough time to go to minmus and back. If you decouple the crew cabin on reentry make sure the craft is aerodynamically stable, the kerbal will probably go on strike until ~20km up.

NEW RELEASE IS UP!

0.6.2 - 2017.08.15
---------------
Dependency Updates
Fixed CalculateVesselHabMultiplier when unmanned
More detailed description for Hab, LS extender, and recycler
'Back of the envelope' extended hab and life support numbers based on Colony Supplies / Fertilizer.  These stats assume the use of the standard USI balance figures and adequate converter capacity.
Removed hard-coded time values

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 5:14 PM, LordCorwin said:

Hello,

Hi, just to be clear, it is by design and done on purpose.  It's supposed to be a serious problem.

That being said, please fell free to resolve any way you wish that is fun for you, including turning off Hab in the settings ( I did that in my first MKS career while I was learning all the rest). The other responses have covered this nicely, and there are many more. I personally use Hitchhikers (and extra parachutes if you want to land on Kerbin again), and use the MK3 capsule with only one kerbal. The extra mass is not really that hard with low gravity Minmus.

5 hours ago, Gilph said:

Hi, just to be clear, it is by design and done on purpose.  It's supposed to be a serious problem.

Then I'll stick to the current values and handle the constraints as best as possible  ;-)

Thanks again for all your feedbacks.

I don't know if this behaviour is expected or not.  A vessel in the VAB has hab modules and supplies but no crew.  The LS Status window displays some odd text under the Habitation column.  When I add crew, the display updates and appears normal.  Output log and picture below.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gc3e9903bnjmfyr/AABUfzHeeOyEhcfdaD9bdTZwa?dl=0

HCoCQfe.png?1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.