[1.12.x] USI Life Support

RoverDude

1 minute ago, Aelfhe1m said:

Constellation is the combination pack of all USI mods in one download - available from GitHub. Pre-release betas are sometimes distributed this way as well.

Is it more up to date than individual mods and does it include that shipw which I have seen pictures of yet never found? It has a command pod that is like a barrel with windows facing forward almost like a hammerhead shark.

46 minutes ago, TachyonGMZ said:

Is it more up to date than individual mods and does it include that shipw which I have seen pictures of yet never found? It has a command pod that is like a barrel with windows facing forward almost like a hammerhead shark.

At the moment it is more up-to-date because the new beta is being tested but sometimes individual mods will get an update without a corresponding update to Constellation.

All the USI mods can be found on the catalog web site which is linked from roverdudes signature.

Freight Transport Technologies contains the Orca and Honeybadger heavy command pods. The Exploration Pack and Survival Pack have several tiny command pods.

Edited by Aelfhe1m

Just now, Aelfhe1m said:

At the moment it is more up-to-date because the new beta is being tested but sometimes individual mods will get an update without a corresponding update to Constellation.

All the USI mods can be found on the catalog web site which is linked from roverdudes signature.

Freight Transport Technologies contains the Orca and Honeybadger heavy command pods. The Exploration Pack and Survival Pack have several tiny command pods.

Starlifter! Thats what I meant. Is there a download anywhere for that?

1 minute ago, Aelfhe1m said:
15 minutes ago, TachyonGMZ said:

Starlifter! Thats what I meant. Is there a download anywhere for that?

It's in the FTT pack - https://github.com/BobPalmer/FTT/releases (or bundled with Constellation)

It doesn't contain the part being asked for anymore, probably got deprecated in favor of the Orca command pod.

35 minutes ago, Nergal8617 said:

It doesn't contain the part being asked for anymore, probably got deprecated in favor of the Orca command pod.

Ah right. The old Starlifter pod was deprecated in FTT v.6.0.0.

If @TachyonGMZ really wanted that part then I suppose they could download FTT v. 0.5.4 from GitHub, pull out the appropriate files and modify the config to modern standards. This would of course be strictly for personal use and not be supported by roverdude or the USI team.

I can live without it but its a shame.

If I wanted to balance 6.4x with how life support would function in stock should I triple hab time home time and supply time? I want a bigger system but with similar life support time to stock.

Slightly unrelated. What should i set reentry heating to with this rescale? @Aelfhe1m

Edited by TachyonGMZ

• 2 weeks later...

Electricity doesn't change in the background. But life support modules require electricty to reduce supply consumption. Do they turn off as well on the backgorund or work without electricity? Should I install background processing or background resources mods to enable background electricity? I'm confused because they don't exist in installation requirements of USI-LS.

WoW, reply in just 2 minutes. :kiss:

So Recyclers and Nom-O-Matics work in the background and I don't have to carry enough battery to work under Mun's 3-day long nights.

Edited by CanOmer
Mun's rotation period 6 d 2 h 36 m 24.4 s

13 minutes ago, CanOmer said:

WoW, reply in just 2 minutes. :kiss:

So Recyclers and Nom-O-Matics work in the background and I don't have to carry enough battery to work under Mun's 3-day long nights.

Better way to think about it (and closer to what's actually going on) is that *none* of that works in the background - it just pretends it does.  You show up and it quickly does everything as if it had happened in the background, using the current situation.

And yes this can be abused.  :wink:  If you never check your solar-powered Mun base during the night, it'll say 'oh, you've got enough solar power for these to run, so they kept running'...  (On the other hand, note that the counters in the USI-LS window are just straight-line approximations based on the last time those Kerbals were seen.  If it says you've run out of EC for some ship, and you've got solar panels and the next time you visit is during the day...  They've had EC.)

Hello all - this is not a support request but just an idea I've been banging around.

I'd like to build a small extension to USI-LS that adds waste heat to occupied command pods.  Partly because of reading technical histories of the space program and how much goes into the thermal side of ELCSS, partly because there are a bunch of stock parts that work great but have no purpose, partly just to add a little spice. 

Nothing heavy-duty (no solar flux, no heat exchange with planets, etc), just a CoreHeat generator linked to Habitation that sheds heat via the stock heat mechanic.  Small enough flux that you can survive a couple orbits in a Mk1 pod before getting toasty, and a small fixed panel will cool a 1-2 crew pod indefinitely.  The electrical draw of USI-LS habitation plus running the radiator seems reasonable already as a "justification" for where the heat comes from.

I'm hoping this can run entirely via MM patches.  I'm not a coder, though I've been teaching myself MM syntax and it's going OK.  I've tried some tests pasting in and modifying stock CoreHeat generators (from RTG, drill etc), but there are so many variables tied together, I'm not even sure it had any effect. 

Right now I'm looking for a bit of feedback on whether this is possible with MM or if I'm looking at a extra dll?  If this derails the main thread I'm happy to take it to PM or a topic in Add-On Discussions

16 minutes ago, CanOmer said:

I begin a career with USI-LS. Now I am at 20th day and visited Mun and Minmus. Can I add Modular Kolonization System (MKS) to my modlist safely in the mid of a career?

Sure.  It'll add some parts, but I don't believe it does much to any of the parts you have.  If you want to be careful, you can recover any ships in flight and Kerbals, but I don't believe it will be necessary.  (Especially so early on in your career - you likely don't have any large life-support systems running yet.)

6 minutes ago, fourfa said:

Hello all - this is not a support request but just an idea I've been banging around.

I'd like to build a small extension to USI-LS that adds waste heat to occupied command pods.  Partly because of reading technical histories of the space program and how much goes into the thermal side of ELCSS, partly because there are a bunch of stock parts that work great but have no purpose, partly just to add a little spice. 

Nothing heavy-duty (no solar flux, no heat exchange with planets, etc), just a CoreHeat generator linked to Habitation that sheds heat via the stock heat mechanic.  Small enough flux that you can survive a couple orbits in a Mk1 pod before getting toasty, and a small fixed panel will cool a 1-2 crew pod indefinitely.  The electrical draw of USI-LS habitation plus running the radiator seems reasonable already as a "justification" for where the heat comes from.

I'm hoping this can run entirely via MM patches.  I'm not a coder, though I've been teaching myself MM syntax and it's going OK.  I've tried some tests pasting in and modifying stock CoreHeat generators (from RTG, drill etc), but there are so many variables tied together, I'm not even sure it had any effect. 

Right now I'm looking for a bit of feedback on whether this is possible with MM or if I'm looking at a extra dll?  If this derails the main thread I'm happy to take it to PM or a topic in Add-On Discussions

This sounds interesting, and should definitely be achievable via MM:wink:

9 minutes ago, fourfa said:

I like the idea :)

22 minutes ago, CanOmer said:

I begin a career with USI-LS. Now I am at 20th day and visited Mun and Minmus. Can I add Modular Kolonization System (MKS) to my modlist safely in the mid of a career?

Sure, no issues at all

2 hours ago, CanOmer said:

I suggest: when habitat (for example viewing cupola) is running it should turn the lights on similar to cockpits.

I'd dislike that - as it interferes with my usage (though another mod) that turns the lights on when they have a Kerbal in them.  :wink:

(Though it does seem like an ideal case for Indicator Lights support...)

I just created an entirely new 1.3.1 install and added USI LS 0.7.0.0 from CKAN, but when I go in game the green square button that lets me access the USI LS menus isn't showing up either in the KSC view, nor in VAB. The only mods i've installed are USI LS and it's dependencies (as defined by CKAN).

Did something change with the most recent version? Is the CKAN install broken? Thanks!

UPDATE: Manually installed and it works fine - CKAN is recommending MM 3.0.1 wherein the manual install contains 2.8.1. Is that the issue?

Edited by Tyko

I have a small UI request, I use Tourism Plus a lot which means a lot of kerbals needing life support, thus the life support status is clogged with over a hundred tourist kerbals on one station at the later parts of the game. So my request is just a way to minimize specific ships in the status screen, with it maybe just showing the sup/ec/hab/home of the kerbal with the lowest timer on that ship.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.