[1.12.x] USI Life Support

RoverDude

A mod interaction I may spend more time debugging, and am listing in case anyone else can help me diagnose:

The settings panel - that is, the USI-LS panel in the KSC view, but not in the other views - appears blank.  Just a heading, and empty space, no way to edit the settings.  This does not occur with a clean install of just USI and Squad, so it's a mod interaction - I may spend time chasing it down, but if anyone else is seeing it I'd appreciate the help.  (We could at least cross-reference mods and see what we have in common - though I run a very mod-heavy install.)

...And now that I've finally gotten around to mentioning it, the issue disappears.  Obviously I've updated something, but I hadn't checked that I'd still see this in the last couple of days, and with 1.4.2 being recent I'm still updating a half dozen or more mods a day.

:rolleyes:

@RoverDude

I have a suggestion, if you don't mind. Could a future version give a penalty for loneliness? (e.g. X number of kerbals feels lonely if isolated from others for Y amount of time). This would balance habitation a bit, at present, lots empty seats or multipliers is a bit overpowered.

9 minutes ago, AntoniusCDXXXII said:

I'm sorry if this was asked before but does this mod need to be reconfigured if I use it in rescaled games, considering travel times might be longer.

Really depends.  IMO if you're going to a larger scale, harder life support is part of the challenge

On 06/04/2018 at 2:22 AM, DStaal said:

...And now that I've finally gotten around to mentioning it, the issue disappears.  Obviously I've updated something, but I hadn't checked that I'd still see this in the last couple of days, and with 1.4.2 being recent I'm still updating a half dozen or more mods a day.

:rolleyes:

I've had the same issue. IIRC, I found that it will appear properly if you go to the VAB and add a crewed part. You don't need to actually build anything, just place a crewed part and leave the VAB again. 

Hi @RoverDude! I ran into a CKAN install issue. Tried contacting CKAN first and they said you maintain your own bundles. The problem is that installing USI LS and dependencies from CKAN doesn't work - you never get the green cube in the toolbars. Installing all components manually works fine.

Thanks for maintaining this great mod :)

2 hours ago, Tyko said:

There's a problem with the current CKAN install of USI LS (v 0.9.0.0, Max KSP version 1.4.9). When I install it and its dependencies manually it all works. When I let CKAN install USI LS doesn't work - the green box doesn't appear in the toolbar in the space center view nor in VAB/SPH.

I've tried this multiple times with no success using completely new installs of KSP to avoid any conflicts. 

Please take a look if you have time.

The metadata for that mod and all of its dependencies is maintained by the mod author; the CKAN team can't change it. Sounds like there's some difference between the bundled dependencies and the corresponding standalone releases.

KSP 1.4.2 USI LS 0.9

Window Life Support Setup doesn't  work

Spoiler

[EXC 15:36:31.920] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    LifeSupport.LifeSupportMonitor_SpaceCenter.GuiOn ()
    KSP.UI.Screens.ApplicationLauncherButton.OnTrue (UnityEngine.EventSystems.PointerEventData data, CallType callType)
    UnityEngine.Events.InvokableCall`2[UnityEngine.EventSystems.PointerEventData,KSP.UI.UIRadioButton+CallType].Invoke (UnityEngine.EventSystems.PointerEventData args0, CallType args1)
    UnityEngine.Events.UnityEvent`2[UnityEngine.EventSystems.PointerEventData,KSP.UI.UIRadioButton+CallType].Invoke (UnityEngine.EventSystems.PointerEventData arg0, CallType arg1)
    KSP.UI.UIRadioButton.SetState (State state, CallType callType, UnityEngine.EventSystems.PointerEventData data, Boolean popButtonsInGroup)
    KSP.UI.UIRadioButton.ToggleState (CallType callType, UnityEngine.EventSystems.PointerEventData data)
    KSP.UI.UIRadioButton.UnityEngine.EventSystems.IPointerClickHandler.OnPointerClick (UnityEngine.EventSystems.PointerEventData eventData)
    UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute (IPointerClickHandler handler, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData)
    UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute[IPointerClickHandler] (UnityEngine.GameObject target, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData, UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventFunction`1 functor)
    UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventSystem:Update()
[EXC 15:36:31.934] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    LifeSupport.LifeSupportMonitor_SpaceCenter.GenerateWindow ()
    LifeSupport.LifeSupportMonitor_SpaceCenter.OnWindow (Int32 windowId)
    UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID)
    UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, Int32 instanceID, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style)
[EXC 15:36:31.935] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    LifeSupport.LifeSupportMonitor_SpaceCenter.GenerateWindow ()
    LifeSupport.LifeSupportMonitor_SpaceCenter.OnWindow (Int32 windowId)

Kolonization dashboard

Spoiler

[EXC 15:39:31.319] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    KolonyTools.KolonizationManager.get_KolonizationInfo ()
    KolonyTools.KolonizationMonitor.ShowKolonyStats ()
    KolonyTools.KolonizationMonitor.OnWindow (Int32 windowId)
    UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, Int32 instanceID, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style)
[ERR 15:39:31.319] GUI Error: You are pushing more GUIClips than you are popping. Make sure they are balanced)

[ERR 15:39:35.040] [MKS] ERROR in KolonizationMonitor.PlanLogScreen:   at PlanetaryLogistics.PlanetaryLogisticsManager.get_PlanetaryLogisticsInfo () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KolonyTools.KolonizationMonitor.ShowPlanetaryLogistics () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

[EXC 15:39:36.112] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    KolonyTools.KolonizationMonitor.ShowOrbitalLogistics ()
[EXC 15:39:36.127] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    KolonyTools.KolonizationMonitor.ShowOrbitalLogistics ()

Edited by -MadMan-

Just checking--I have only USI-LS installed (no MKS etc.) and it looks as if Homesickness is disabled, is that right?  The USI-LS "Life Support Setup" GUI in the Space Center view doesn't list a "NoHomeEffect" or any other Homesickness variables. And there's no homesickness value shown in the VAB/SPH.  BUT the "Life Support Status" GUI in the Tracking Station view, and the in-flight view both show "Home" durations for each crew member.  However, those Home durations don't seem to align with the calculation described in the USI-LS wiki, i.e., 30 days plus the maximum habitation value experienced by the Kerbal...  Maybe the calculation changed since the Wiki was last updated?  Is there a handy dandy spreadsheet for Homesickness anywhere?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, I have a weird issue on my current science mode game. Latest game version and latest USI Live Support Version installed. I am using the 2.5 meter command pod for three kerbals plus a hitchhiker with a crew of 3 kerbals. In the VAB the habitation time is shown as 200+ days and in flight it goes down to about 17 days. What am I doing wrong. I try to go to minmus and 7 seats including hitchhiker for three kerbals is not enough for the complete journey.

You can find screenshots of the LS window in the VAB and right after launch. The Supplies time is down because recyclers do not run, but the difference in habitation time is weird to me.

https://imgur.com/a/iTuEv05

Edited by ObiVanDamme

@RoverDude I did not know that this is something that needs to be turned on. maybe that helps. 

Let me check real quick.

Of course that helped. Maybe I need to takea closer look at the documentation next time. thank you very much and keep up the good work.

So, a question...

For really long trips (10+ years) using large motherships or colony ships, is there an optimal ratio for the storage of supplies to mulch to fertilizer?  It seems like perhaps supplies and fertilizer storage should be the same amount, with mulch only being 10% of supplies.  Mulch would launch empty, fertilizer would launch full, and supplies would launch with a 10% loadout.  This is assuming no ISRU fertilizer production en route - if fertilizer production is a possibility, then it would seem to make sense to increase the mulch storage.  

How do other USI-LS aficionados do this?

@Norcalplanner - Assuming you have sufficient greenhouses/recyclers, you really only need just over a day of supplies - the rest can be in the form of fertilizer since you just need the initial feedstock.  Though I'd probably toss in a larger supply tin to be safe in case a converter shuts down, etc.

This might be a silly question; but what's the best way to track how much life support we actually have when we send a ship with fert/recyclers/and agro - the LS statistics panel shows my kerbals time at something like 7 days (didn't bring many initial supplies), but I THINK I have enough fert for my long duna trip, and that time is going up instead of down since production > usage currently.  

Again, sorry if I'm missing something - does the status window not take into account the Nom-o-matic?  I just sent my fist base to Duna on a new save using LS from the beginning, and it's only showing my supplies that I brought.  I loaded up a big tank of fertilizer, a couple recyclers, and my colonization dashboard (under Kolony inventory) is showing 0 supply usage as expected as production > usage - but under LS status window, it's only showing 66 days.  Kolonization inventory shows 102 years of fertilizer though?  

7 hours ago, mavric1298 said:

Again, sorry if I'm missing something - does the status window not take into account the Nom-o-matic?  I just sent my fist base to Duna on a new save using LS from the beginning, and it's only showing my supplies that I brought.  I loaded up a big tank of fertilizer, a couple recyclers, and my colonization dashboard (under Kolony inventory) is showing 0 supply usage as expected as production > usage - but under LS status window, it's only showing 66 days.  Kolonization inventory shows 102 years of fertilizer though?  

the LS dashboard only updates when the vessel is in focus. all other times it uses "best guess"

20 hours ago, mavric1298 said:

Yeah, I think the LS dashboards only shows projections which include fertiliser while in the VAB. Once in flight you'd have to look at your consumption rate of fertiliser to make a calculation. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.