[1.12.x] USI Life Support

RoverDude

25 minutes ago, Tonka Crash said:

@AmpCat I reported the problem and the fix in this thread months ago.

Until mod authors actually fix their mods I run a local patch to work around it:

@PART[*]:HAS[~bulkheadProfiles[]]
{
	bulkheadProfiles = missingSrf
}

Wow. Problem solved. Added this to my little .cfg I have for small tweaks I make to mods, and it's fixed. Now I'm beating myself for not having figured this out a long time ago. :mad:

Edited by AmpCat

@AmpCat

So go to CKAN and install Filter Extensions by Linuxgurugamer. It will be DefaultConfig, Plugin and Moar Filter extensions. I experienced the same problem, but this fixes it for me. Just tested it several times. I think the stock system cannot support the filters put in by life support. Let me know if this helps.

Also for this error. 

Spoiler

[WRN 2019-05-11 23:47:34.086] 1 warning related to GameData/Mk2Expansion/Patches/M2X_Tweakscale.cfg
[WRN 2019-05-11 23:47:34.086] Errors in patch prevents the creation of the cache
[LOG 2019-05-11 23:47:34.188] ModuleManager: 7661 patches applied, found <color=yellow>1 warning</color>, found <color=orange>1 error</color>

Go to this file. And delete the second :FINAL, it is the last patch at the very bottom. This is preventing the creation of the cache.

GameData/Mk2Expansion/Patches/M2X_Tweakscale.cfg

Incorrect

@PART[M2X_RootChine*]:NEEDS[TweakScale]:FINAL:FINAL
{
    %MODULE[TweakScale]
    {
        %type = surface
    }
}

Correct

@PART[M2X_RootChine*]:NEEDS[TweakScale]:FINAL
{
    %MODULE[TweakScale]
    {
        %type = surface
    }
}

3 minutes ago, Barar said:

@AmpCat

So go to CKAN and install Filter Extensions by Linuxgurugamer. It will be DefaultConfig, Plugin and Moar Filter extensions. I experienced the same problem, but this fixes it for me. Just tested it several times. I think the stock system cannot support the filters put in by life support. Let me know if this helps.

Also for this error. 

Done. Thanks!

On 5/11/2019 at 10:47 PM, LadyAthena said:

I'm wondering if there is a way to remove the "habitation" requirements, or adjust them at all, as even flying 2 kerbals to Minmus requires a monster spaceship just to deal with the habitation alone. a 2man pod + 4 man living quarters for just 2 kerbals, which should allow them to live comfortably for a good time. Yet they get "home sick" before the mission ends, and that's just touching down for less than an hour on minmus, so its almost a complete non stop flight, which seems just ridiculous to me. I've lived in cramped quarters for months before out at sea, which ultimately is the same thing this system is trying to simulate. Yes its uncomfortable, yes it isn't very pleasant, but to think I'd just up and "stop working" especially when that work brings me back home, is paying the bills, and is what I signed up for is ludicrous to a retarded level..

For some reason, living space needs to be "turned on" with the "Start Habitat" option in the context menu. A Mk 2 lander and a Hitchhiker will give 2 kerbals 337 days of hab time if that habitat is running, and only 22 days if it's turned off (including the default 15 day grace period).

Also note that the Viewing Cupola claims to give 1 kerbal-month of base time in the editor but doesn't actually add any base time at all! Otherwise it would be a nice little part for Minmus missions.

The cupola is a multiplier so on its own it's multiplying by 1x and getting not a lot.  Add a hithhiker and a cupola and you get enough hab time to go to Duna.  It's actually fairly well balanced if you remember to turn on the habitation module, which uses power and simulates all the doohickies your Kerbals need to keep themselves occupied on long trips (like the microwave for heating snacks and the trash compactor for used post-it notes).  That really isn't a big ship for a long mission and feels more balanced than going interplanetary in a command pod.

The USI wiki has a good guide on building efficiently and taking into account mass vs resources for life support.

The Observation Cupola is a pure 0.7 multiplier. The Viewing Cupola has an 0.5 multiplier, 1 crew seat, and text *claiming* it adds 1 month time, but it actually has 0 base months of time, so you only get the crew capacity, defaulting to 0.25 months / 7.5 days. @RoverDude there's a bug in the "Habitation Option" information shown in the VAB where the displayed months have +1 for each crew capacity on the part, rather than respecting your settings for how much time you have per seat (or just not counting crew capacity separately at all, because you get time from that whether or not you have the habitat running).

On 5/17/2019 at 4:19 PM, Johould said:

The Observation Cupola is a pure 0.7 multiplier. The Viewing Cupola has an 0.5 multiplier, 1 crew seat, and text *claiming* it adds 1 month time, but it actually has 0 base months of time, so you only get the crew capacity, defaulting to 0.25 months / 7.5 days. @RoverDude there's a bug in the "Habitation Option" information shown in the VAB where the displayed months have +1 for each crew capacity on the part, rather than respecting your settings for how much time you have per seat (or just not counting crew capacity separately at all, because you get time from that whether or not you have the habitat running).

The documentation was written before the default per-seat value was adjusted to 0.25 months.

If you change the default per-seat value to 1 month, the documentation will be correct.

I do not think the help files can be dynamically updated based on a setting however.

If you would like to update the help files to reflect the default, I hear RoverDude accepts Pull Requests...

Edited by Terwin

36 minutes ago, Terwin said:

The documentation was written before the default per-seat value was adjusted to 0.25 months.

If you change the default per-seat value to 1 month, the documentation will be correct.

I do not think the help files can be dynamically updated based on a setting however.

If you would like to update the help files to reflect the default, I hear RoverDude accepts Pull Requests...

The part that's a code bug counting a crew seat as 1 kerbal-month in the detailed part info in the VAB part list, regardless of your per-seat setting.

Having 1 base month (and maybe no crew capacity) seems reasonable, I think the part ought to have some base time to compensate for only having a 0.5 multiplier compared to the Observation Cupola's 0.7 multiplier.

Yes. This file makes some station parts useful for life support: StationPartsExpansionRedux/Patches/SSPXR-USILS.cfg

Without that patch, USILS would not be broken but none of the SSPXR parts would help give lift support.

What is your good language?

It works in 1.7. I tested the smallest rings. It should work the same in 1.6.

In the VAB it will always show the habitation time. In flight the ring needs to be expanded and the habitat started to get a lot of habitation time.

Edited by Johould

Thank you!

I will install version 1.7 soon.

Another problem.
Kerbals become tourists without a hub resource, but they do not recover even after returning to Kerbin.

I hope Google translated quite clearly ((

PS

IMHO, USI-LS - the best life support mod!

Edited by cpt.Iskander

I don't know why. Tourists should recover with resources, and always recover when back on Kerbin.

It has happened to me before. If a Kerbal in the Astronaut Center is still a tourist I edited the save file to fix their job.

For a Kerbal on Kerbin:

In the "STATUS_DATA" record with the right "name" field, change  "IsGrouchy" to "IsGrouchy = False" and "LastMeal","LastEC","LastAtHome" all equal to the current time. In the "KERBAL" record with the right "name" field, change "trait" to the right job (which may be recorded in the "STATUS_DATA" at "OldTrait").

Anyone had any issues with LifeSupport causing the intro screen to go to a black background with Kerbals helmets and spacesuits greyed out like they are covered in paint? It only happens when I install Life support. When I revert it back (installing MKS over it) it seems to dissappear. I wouldent think Lifesupport would have any issues with textures etc.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/4/2019 at 8:17 PM, Heyo!! said:

Anyone had any issues with LifeSupport causing the intro screen to go to a black background with Kerbals helmets and spacesuits greyed out like they are covered in paint? It only happens when I install Life support. When I revert it back (installing MKS over it) it seems to dissappear. I wouldent think Lifesupport would have any issues with textures etc.

No such issues here on 1.7.1

Sounds like either an improper installation or some kind of conflict.

• 1 month later...

So there is some pretty odd behaviour with EVA and hab time which is fairly broken.

When you EVA a kerbal, the total hab time of a ship changes to reflect how many kerbals are still inside as expected. However when it does this, the kerbals inside a ship have their hab times reset to the ships current maximum. Effectively by EVAing a kerbal, you can reset the hab timer for the rest of the kerbals in a ship. Normally this wouldn't be a problem because the home timer never resets.

HOWEVER

If you dock at a station with lots of hab, then you may have a high home time, and with the ability to reset hab time you can potentially last years without actually having any habitation increasing parts on a ship. All you would need to do is EVA when the hab timer is low to reset it.

TL;DR EVAing a kerbal resets the hab timer for other kerbals in a ship when the total ship hab time changes which is potentially a broken mechanic.

Edited by Spagoose

On 8/3/2019 at 4:05 AM, Spagoose said:

TL;DR EVAing a kerbal resets the hab timer for other kerbals in a ship when the total ship hab time changes which is potentially a broken mechanic.

Unless something broke recently, it seems odd that such an obvious exploit would have existed for all this time. You can't even avoid that if you intend on doing any KAS work. On the big station I just built, there are a slew of Station Science modules and experiments that will get recycled once I've done all the experiments. 

Speaking of that big station, this is my first MKS-USI/LS game, and when I first built it all out in the VAB the hab UI said it had 170 years of hab time which was good, as I intended to push more than 100 Kerbals up to this station. However, now that I've built the real station in orbit and sent the crew up, I'm getting hab times in the 30 to 40 day range which is a huge difference with significant implications for the amount of management the station will need.

My problem is I can't tell why, the UI just tells me how much hab Kerbals have, not how it was calculated, at least as far as I can see. Am I missing something and there's some way to understand what is going into the calcs? And anyone have any ideas on why  the hab time statement in the VAB was wildly at variance with what the values were when the station was deployed?

8KMHtxw.png

16 minutes ago, vossiewulf said:

Unless something broke recently, it seems odd that such an obvious exploit would have existed for all this time. You can't even avoid that if you intend on doing any KAS work. On the big station I just built, there are a slew of Station Science modules and experiments that will get recycled once I've done all the experiments.  

It has been like this for ages. Infact it was reported here: https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/USI-LS/issues/199 but was never actually fixed.

16 minutes ago, vossiewulf said:

And anyone have any ideas on why  the hab time statement in the VAB was wildly at variance with what the values were when the station was deployed?

Have you activated all the habitation modules manually? It should tell you how much actualy hab time your ship can give at the top of the life support window, but you can only see how it is calculated in the VAB.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.