[1.12.x] USI Life Support

RoverDude

If the answer turns out to just be 'you require more vespene gas power storage', I might just turn EC requirements off until I retire these two stations aka when their respective labs finish processing their data)- they're *really* not designed with large amounts of power storage in mind, or adding much additional power storage- I mean I *could*, but I don’t know of any battery options that are passable with Connected Living Space which I'm also using, so adding a considerable amount of batteries onto one of the two Konstruction docking ports would prooooobably block that arm off.  And not look nice :V

(but if I have to do it that way, I will)

4 hours ago, horngeek said:

I mean, they both *do* only have 2000 storage- but to clarify, are the effects of power generation just not taken into account while off-focus, or is that purely solar panels?

The effects of power generation are not taken into account while off-focus.  If your only problem is that you're out of EC, you have ample solar cells, and you switch back during daylight you'll be fine.  (Last I checked - even if you didn't have enough EC storage to last the night you'd still be fine as long as you only checked in on it during the day...)

1 minute ago, DStaal said:

The effects of power generation are not taken into account while off-focus.  If your only problem is that you're out of EC, you have ample solar cells, and you switch back during daylight you'll be fine.  (Last I checked - even if you didn't have enough EC storage to last the night you'd still be fine as long as you only checked in on it during the day...)

You're not *wrong*, but it was somewhat annoying
(I solved the issue by way of 'I have Universal Storage installed I can just up and add 30,000 EC storage)

10 minutes ago, horngeek said:

You're not *wrong*, but it was somewhat annoying
(I solved the issue by way of 'I have Universal Storage installed I can just up and add 30,000 EC storage)

The point I was trying to make is that you don't actually have to add EC storage - Kerbals don't get killed or go into hibernation or anything while off-focus.  So if you have solar generation, and only switch back to the ship during the day, you can let them sit in the red on the USI-LS list forever if you want.  They'll be fine when you actually go visit them.

6 minutes ago, horngeek said:

...ah.  So it's only a problem in terms of supplies, for example?  Science analysis will still keep going?

Hah, whoops.  :P

Actually, even science analysis follows the same rule: Nothing exists in KSP that isn't within 2km of your current vessel.  (Not quite sure what the Breaking Ground experiments did to get around that...)  They just quickly pretend they have always been there when you show up.  ;)  Practically for science analysis it makes no difference - when you show up, it'll do a quick compute for the time you were gone, and then give you control - so by the time you get control all the science will be there.

Life support is one of the few times were the illusion can get pierced, as it's one of the few places where you track anything other than the location of the vessel when it's not within the current physics bubble.

1 minute ago, DStaal said:

Actually, even science analysis follows the same rule: Nothing exists in KSP that isn't within 2km of your current vessel.  (Not quite sure what the Breaking Ground experiments did to get around that...)  They just quickly pretend they have always been there when you show up.  ;)  Practically for science analysis it makes no difference - when you show up, it'll do a quick compute for the time you were gone, and then give you control - so by the time you get control all the science will be there.

Life support is one of the few times were the illusion can get pierced, as it's one of the few places where you track anything other than the location of the vessel when it's not within the current physics bubble.

Huh, neat.  As for the Breaking Ground experiments, they probably did the same thing as whatever SCANsat does :P

11 hours ago, DStaal said:

...also, I'm *assuming* the same applies to usage of supplies and hydroponics?

5 minutes ago, horngeek said:

...also, I'm *assuming* the same applies to usage of supplies and hydroponics?

Yes.  Note that the catch-up applies in 6-hour max chunks - if you're both producing and consuming, you'll want that much buffer space.

Yeah, that makes sense- however, it makes it rather tricky to judge how much expansion of life support you've just gotten when you add a hydroponics module to a space station already in orbit.  @RoverDude, a suggestion- it might be good to have a window where you can calculate 'ok, given the *current* rate of energy production and supplies production on the focused vessel/space station, you have this much time until they run out'

23 hours ago, horngeek said:

I mean, they both *do* only have 2000 storage- but to clarify, are the effects of power generation just not taken into account while off-focus, or is that purely solar panels?

unless some thing changed from the last time i played (KSP 1.6)  ignore the EC timer if not in focus

Edited by danielboro

Hi sorry if this has been asked before I'm sure it has. Tried looking but didn't see anything. 

I've been away from ksp for a while and I see the usils updated and will break saves. Am I good to update if my kerbals are back at the space centre? I know I'd need to throw up a new station but it's a good excuse to do so :D

I'll be able to test some stuff myself shortly but just thought I'd ask as well. 

Thanks 

50 minutes ago, Ocid said:

Hi sorry if this has been asked before I'm sure it has. Tried looking but didn't see anything. 

I've been away from ksp for a while and I see the usils updated and will break saves. Am I good to update if my kerbals are back at the space centre? I know I'd need to throw up a new station but it's a good excuse to do so :D

I'll be able to test some stuff myself shortly but just thought I'd ask as well. 

Thanks 

If you're worried about the health of your little green dudes, recall them all to KSC before you transfer your save to a new version and then yes, they should be okay. You'll have to rebuild a majority of your infrastructure, but the game itself and the kerbals within will be fine.

(I do this every time I upgrade, because there's so many chances of things going wrong and blowing stuff up.  My career save is still on 1.3.1 for this reason)

2 hours ago, tsaven said:

If you're worried about the health of your little green dudes, recall them all to KSC before you transfer your save to a new version and then yes, they should be okay. You'll have to rebuild a majority of your infrastructure, but the game itself and the kerbals within will be fine.

(I do this every time I upgrade, because there's so many chances of things going wrong and blowing stuff up.  My career save is still on 1.3.1 for this reason)

Ah ok that's good mate thanks for the reply. 

Yeah just looking to keep my kerbals alive. Interplanetary missions aren't far out from returning to kerbin. 

Don't mind launching a new station. Like I say gives a good excuse to design and launch one. As long as communication sats and kerbals are good I'm good with updating. 

Be able to check tomorrow how things are. Thanks again 

47 minutes ago, Ocid said:

Ah ok that's good mate thanks for the reply. 

Yeah just looking to keep my kerbals alive. Interplanetary missions aren't far out from returning to kerbin. 

Don't mind launching a new station. Like I say gives a good excuse to design and launch one. As long as communication sats and kerbals are good I'm good with updating. 

Be able to check tomorrow how things are. Thanks again 

If you wanna be efficient, launch a couple of empty Kontainers for Specialized Parts and Material Kits next to your existing station and disassemble/recycle as much of the station as you can into them.  Then when you do start building out your new stations, you've already got a ton of mass up there to inflate your modules with or build stuff with gia GC.

Heyas, thanks for this epic mod :D

I've just come back after some time away, am running 1.6.1 + RSS + 1.2.0.0 USI.

I'm about to start putting up a huge space station, but can't see how to "start habitat" for any modules like back in 1.3.1, and the HAB timer is much lower than I thought it would be. Do I need to turn this functionality on now?

PS: Also, none of my Space Station Expansion Redux (am using 1.1.0) parts seem to have recyclers, or any HAB time at all :(

Edited by TheBok

1 hour ago, TheBok said:

Heyas, thanks for this epic mod :D

I've just come back after some time away, am running 1.6.1 + RSS + 1.2.0.0 USI.

I'm about to start putting up a huge space station, but can't see how to "start habitat" for any modules like back in 1.3.1, and the HAB timer is much lower than I thought it would be. Do I need to turn this functionality on now?

PS: Also, none of my Space Station Expansion Redux (am using 1.1.0) parts seem to have recyclers, or any HAB time at all :(

Alright so I played around a heap with different versions of Station Parts Expansion Redux and USI. Despite SPXR 1.2.0 being shown on CKAN as incompatible with 1.6.1 (I use 1.6.1 because RSS) it seems to work fine (with USI 1.2.0.0), so far anyway, and the problems above seem sorted now.

On 9/4/2019 at 11:44 AM, horngeek said:

Yeah, that makes sense- however, it makes it rather tricky to judge how much expansion of life support you've just gotten when you add a hydroponics module to a space station already in orbit.  @RoverDude, a suggestion- it might be good to have a window where you can calculate 'ok, given the *current* rate of energy production and supplies production on the focused vessel/space station, you have this much time until they run out'

Update: MKS *basically* does what I want here, which is to say it gives a 'how long Fertiliser will run out' window, which I can then use to estimate how long I have re: supplies.  

I think i found a bug. I play Kerbal Space Programm in german version (via Steam)

When one of my Kerbals gets converted to a tourist due to lack of Supplies and i land him back on earth he doesnt get convertet back to his former trait. Instead his profession is calles "XP Trait" and i can no longer assign any Kerbal to any free slot. I checked my savegame and his trait was Wissenschaftler which is german for scientist. As soon as i translated it back to scientist everything was good again. 

So my guess is that it is a problem with games in another language than english. And that the trait is just saved in the wrong language.

Game version: 1.7.3

Mod version: 1.2.0.0

Edited by INDIGOHEXAGON
Missing informations